planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:56 pm 

I was thinking about how the other drivers feel about the two championship contenders, now that all of them are out of it. Here is what I think, please feel free to correct me.

Vettel - He obviously wants to win it himself
Alonso - Same for Alonso
Raikkonen - He is friends with Vettel and would love to see a friend win it
Webber - Deep inside he wants Alonso to win, but will have to support Vettel if he finds himself ahead of him, unlikely but possible.
Hamilton - He wants Alonso to win, it will only make him look better, after all he defeated a (now) 3x WDC champion Alonso in his rookie year.
Button - He has a good relationship with Vettel and wears his heart on his sleeves, so I would be surprised if he secretly wishes for Vettel to lose.
Massa - Same as Weber, he hopes that Vettel wins, but will have to help Alonso
Rosberg - He would like for Vettel to win. German connection, maybe.
Grosjean - Grosjean was team mates with Alonso and was not treated very well, I think he would rather Vettel win it than Alonso
Pérez - Not sure about him, I have never really followed him to have an opinion
Kobayashi - I think he has a good relationship with Vettel, so will hope for Vettel to win
Hülkenberg - He would like for Vettel to win. German connection, maybe.
diResta - Vettel, so that he can continue to brag about beating a (now) 3x WDC in a junior formula, not that it is relevant in F1
Maldonado - I am not sure. Let's flip a coin.
Schumacher - He is friends with vettel and would love to see a friend win it
Senna - I am not sure.
Vergne - I sincerely feel that he would like for Vettel to win it, not just because of Red Bull. He seems to look up to Vettel - he thought he could match Weber in the same car but did not say that about Vettel
Ricciardo - Not sure, but Red Bull could influence his choice. Personally he wishes Alonso wins it. I could be wrong.
Glock - Can't really say. Same as Perez
Kovalainen - Vettel, they are friends and Vettel seems to have a soft spot for Finns and they do for him.
Petrov - Alonso. It will only make him look better, after all he defeated a (now) 3x WDC champion Alonso in his rookie year.
d'Ambrosio - Can't really say, but I am leaning towards Vettel. I could be wrong.
Pic - Can't really say.
Karthikeyan - Alonso, if he still has hard feelings towards Vettel from when they collided earlier this year
de la Rosa - Alonso. Spanish connection, maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:14 pm 

Glock is also friend of Vettel, they some times travel together back to Switzerland after GP.

German after all :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:17 pm 

Probably a reasonable assessment. In some cases I don't think there are doubts.

- Button is on better terms with Vettel than Alonso and so would like the former to win.
- Webber will definitely want Alonso to win although he will probably never admit it. IMO he is jealous of Vettel's success.
- Massa will definitely want Vettel to win because he secretly resents being made the lap dog to Alonso but does not dare voice his opinion in public.
-I am actually not so sure about Hamilton's feelings despite his public comments. He may say that Alonso deserves more to win but I don't think he has forgotten that pitstop incident in 2007. He has no direct issues with Vettel.
- Ricciardo will want Alonso to win because as an Aussie he will feel that Webber has been sidelined by RBR - which is not true.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:27 pm 

Secretly all of them except Webber want RedBull domination to end one way or other. If you are a competitive athlete in any sport, you do not like any one person or team to dominate your sport. Ask any of them. The nationality and things like that goes out of window in nation less sport like F1 when it comes to whom they want to win. Otherwise we would see all British drivers being goody goody with each other and same with Germans :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:32 pm 

In the alonso camp:hamilton,webber,grosjean,petrov,karthikeyan ,de la rosa,hulkenburg,maldonado
In the vettel camp: kimi,button,massa,rosberg,schumacher,vergne,kovalainen ,glock,perez, kobayashi
Not sure about di resta,pic,ricciardo & senna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:33 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:
Secretly all of them except Webber want RedBull domination to end one way or other.

That's true but I think the OP's question was with relevance to the present status with 2 races left. Red Bull have been (or become after a shaky start) dominant in 2012 and no one can change that for this season. But with only Vettel and Alonso in the running for WDC (irrespective of the team involved), other drivers will have wishes as to which one of those should win depending on their personal relationships with the two contenders.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:37 pm 

Maldonado, Perez and de la Rosa said Alonso deserves title.

You can google it.

I would try the same with the others rather than supposing it.

Last edited by deSiRiuS on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:40 pm 

sandyf1 wrote:
In the alonso camp:hamilton,webber,grosjean,petrov,karthikeyan ,de la rosa,hulkenburg,maldonado
In the vettel camp: kimi,button,massa,rosberg,schumacher,vergne,kovalainen ,glock,perez, kobayashi

Not sure about di resta,pic,ricciardo & senna

I would agree for the most part with your "camp inmates" but somehow feel like we have to swap Hulkenburg and Kobayashi around.

As for the others, Di Resta and Ricciardo for Alonso and Pic & Senna for Vettel IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:46 pm 

I honestly think Massa would prefer Alonso to win it over Vettel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:33 pm 

Floppy_Boy wrote:

I don't think so. Massa is more of an introvert than Webber but in his heart I am sure he detests Alonso for putting him (Massa) in the position that he is now in the Ferrari team. Worse still, no one at Ferrari is even trying to deny it. Massa has been a loyal servant longer than Alonso.

Put yourself in Massa's position and ask what he must have felt like when Domenicali denied any prospect of Vettel joining Ferrari while Alonso was still there with the words "we don't want two roosters in the henhouse". Where does that put Massa by implication?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 pm 

Floppy_Boy wrote:

I think so too. I have occasionally seen Massa in denial, but in general I accept him as a very good person; one of the best on the grid in that regard. So when he says he supports Alonso I am inclined to believe him. Alonso is also very supportive of him and always takes his side when questions are asked about his performances, whatever his actual motives may be.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:48 pm 

If I recall correctly, Webber is a friend of Alonso's?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 pm 

I'm not sure the Alonso/Webber bromance is as strong as it used to be. I've seen plenty of angry waved hands at each other on track lately and there have been some catty anti-Webber remarks made by Nando recently to try and unsettle RBR harmony.

Seb and Mark, on the other hand, seem to have healed their relationship.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:26 pm 

going_the_distance wrote:
...there have been some catty anti-Webber remarks made by Nando recently to try and unsettle RBR harmony..

Where did you read them? Im curious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:05 pm 

I've got to say that as a Webber fan, I don't particularly like this common perception that he's jealous of Sebastian and would rather see him faulter. I'll admit that if I were in Mark's shoes I would most certainly be jealous of Sebastian, but Mark, having been in it for so long, no-doubt has a much further developed mentality for this kind of situation. Mark is more professional than hoping that his teammate, and in fact own team gets pipped to the world championship of motor racing's premier class. Irrespective of whether or not he or anyone else feels he's been played by the team.

In addition to that, while people say that Alonso is Mark's friend, I think you'll find that Mark's friends with a lot of people on the grid, with probably his best of the 23 other drivers being Jenson.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:43 pm 

I'm not sure about Schu. He said before in 2010, that he'd love Ferrari to win, but also wants Seb to win because he's his friend. i doubt the feelings changed much, so I think he'll be happy either way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:34 am 

:lol:

Amazing...

Yet more evidence of what exceptional talent we have in the forum. In reading this thread, I see that we have people who know more than the drivers themselves. Some secret ability to get past what the driver says and to dig into there inner thoughts, to be able to read when what they are saying is not the truth!

I am so in awe!

P.S. if Massa prefers to see Vettel win it, I would be stunned. ... but then what do I know compared to PF1 genius.
;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:55 am 

Blake wrote:

Amazing...

Yet more evidence of what exceptional talent we have in the forum. In reading this thread, I see that we have people who know more than the drivers themselves. Some secret ability to get past what the driver says and to dig into there inner thoughts, to be able to read when what they are saying is not the truth!

I am so in awe!

P.S. if Massa prefers to see Vettel win it, I would be stunned. ... but then what do I know compared to PF1 genius.
;)

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:39 am 

Blake wrote:

Amazing...

I am so in awe!

;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 am 

I have gotta disagree with 2 drivers there
Mark webber n massa r decent gentlemen....
Mark is best of friends with alonso than vettel, i only see that as a reason for him supporting alonso more than vettel..
Massa also supports alonso if to go by his words, he always seems to speak the truth though not performing well lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:12 am 

This thread is only about out guesswork about what each othe other 22 drivers wish in terms of whether Vettel or Alonso should win the WDC this year. Like all human beings, they too will have preferences I am sure but because of circumstances (team loyalties etc) may or may not reveal them in public; they might even choose to be ambiguous. They will just be opinions like the rest of us and as long as none of them do anything unsporting to influence the eventual outcome, there is nothing unprofessional about Massa wanting Vettel to win or Webber preferring Alonso (which is what I believe is the case)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:28 am 

Alonso once stated that he is not in F1 to make friends. Other than Webber and Kubica, i don't see any other driver really close to him (except Hamilton for rivalry).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 am 

Blake wrote:

Amazing...

I am so in awe!

;)

Blake, what's happening to you, these days so many of your once great contributions are posts like this; no value to the thread just belittlement of other posters.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:29 am 

Blake wrote:

Amazing...

I am so in awe!

;)

To be fair people are just saying who they think drivers want to win it. I don't think anyone's said for certain who the drivers want to win without sources.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:31 am 

No1 really wants Alonso to win but some hate more to see Vettel to win third in row.
Almost every driver hates Alonso because he has shown no respect to other drivers with different teammates and even while driving. And Same goes to Vettel too..

Hamilton didn't beat Alonso in rookie year. It was tie. And Hamilton hates Vettel because Vettel got better team around him than Hamilton. That's why he is moving to Mercedes to gain same position in team like Vettel and Alonso have. Too bad Mercedes isn't winner, but they got money.

Massa doesn't want to Alonso to win any WDC when he is driving Ferrari because that would make his status in team quite much zero. If Alonso wins massa is damned to just drive behind Alonso.

Spanish drivers might support Alonso but it's just national support. Vettel is favorite to most drivers but have to say both are hated, Vettel isn't kimi, he is a bit jerk sometimes and Alonso a bit more (a lot more i would say). I could be wrong but if Kimi would be still WDC hope he would be every1 favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:42 am 

I think this thread is only good as a joke. Personally I don't think all drivers are that selfish to follow the logic used. Kimi for example would not give a s**t who wins :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 am 

Razoola wrote:
I think this thread is only good as a joke. Personally I don't think all drivers are that selfish to follow the logic used. Kimi for example would not give a s**t who wins :)

That's true.
This thread was always gonna be ifs and buts, you can't really say who wants who to win, just hunches and guesses.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:35 pm 

Blake wrote:

Amazing...

I am so in awe!

;)

so true...am always in awe at the number of geniuses i have the privilege of chatting with. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:50 pm 

Alright guys, stop having a go at each other and focus on the topic please.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:36 am 

I don't think they really care tbh. All drivers just want to win themselves and if they can't then they'll want their team mate to do so if only for the team and it's morale.

I don't see Webber wanting Alonso to win over Vettel and Massa wanting Vettel to win over Alonso because they both know how much it would help the team for their team mate to do so.

Some drivers are saying Alonso is the most deserving this year but that doesn't mean they want him to win it. I'm pretty sure Hamilton would rather win it himself and if he can't then he's not bothered because it doesn't impact on him really.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:00 am 

Alonso. I don't want to say everyone is bitter about Sebastian having a car advantage again, but they definitely aren't happy about it. I still think that's why they all pushed so hard on the last lap in India - to prevent seb from getting another full house. Most of them didnt new to do that to maintain their finish, but nobody wanted another fast lap for seb ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:34 am 

Hamilton, Massa, DLR, Narain want Alonso to win.

Button, Vergne probably wants Vettel to win

The rest I have no clue to be honest and heck I doubt even Button cares.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:05 am 

Blake is right. How can you judge the drivers unless they make an open statement on who they support. I think if the situation were to arise where others had a say in the championship outcome, Vettel would have have more ppl behind him, but not by far. Mostly because there are a good number of Germans and he has a good rapport with most of the guys on the grid.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 am 

Blake wrote:

Amazing...

I am so in awe!

;)

totally agree dude, but I guess it is a rumers and fantasy forum after all (sometimes unfortunatly....)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 am 

My interpretation:

Raikkonen - Just wants more ice-cream. Couldn't give a flying Finn about who's going to win.
    Webber - Still tiddled off at RBR management for taking away his front-wing in 2010.
    Hamilton - Starring in 'I Love You Man 2' with Alonso.
    Button - Too busy trying to find grip. 'Alonso is not a worry' though. Boy does he regret those words!
    Massa - He might be a lap-dog, but he gets a nice bone after a good resoolt.
    Rosberg - Too busy brushing his hair and listening to Britney Spears.
    Grosjean - Hasn't crashed into Vettel yet. There's your answer.
    Pérez - Vettel? Alonso? Why can't we have both? http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 532382.jpg
    Kobayashi - Believes he is the rightful Samurai of F1, not Alonso.
    Hülkenberg - Alonso briefly got compared to the Hulk few years back. Probably still holds a grudge. http://www.formulaf1.com/wp-content/upl ... hulk-2.jpg
    diResta - Still reminiscing about the time he beat Vettel that one time in the early 14th century.
    Maldonado - Hasn't noticed there are other drivers on the track.
    Schumacher - Same an Maldonado.
    Senna - Banko Santander pays for his ride. They own his opinion.
    Vergne - Vettel Minion #1
    Ricciardo - Vettel Minion # 2
    Glock - The M. Night Shyamalan of F1. Happy to pull over on the final corner if it makes a difference.
    Kovalainen - Can't beat Alonso's top score on Angry Birds.
    Petrov - Racing in a fantasy WDC of his own in his head. Changes opinion with gratuitous presents of Vodka.
    Pic - Who?
    Karthikeyan - Has harsh feelings towards Vettel after he called him a cucumber. He responded by calling Vettel a do-do head.
    De la Rosa - Regularly stays in touch with Alonso via email. Occasionally trade secretive design information from teams like Ferrari.

Others?
    DC - 90% owned by Red Bull.
    Lauda - Changes backing twice a minute.
    Brundle - Impressed by Alonso's magic skills. Talks most frequently about pulling bunnies out of the hat.
    Jordan - Sorry, couldn't make sense of what he says usually.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:19 am 

Blake wrote:
;)

Actually, why is that so surprising? He has the same car and if his teammate can win the WDC, that reflects badly on his driving. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Massa harbours some resentment towards Alonso after all the team orders that have seen him sacrifice his races for Alonso.

Not saying that it is definitely that way, but it would hardly surprise me if it were the case.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 am 

Blake wrote:

Amazing...

I am so in awe!

;)

Was just about to write something similar Blake :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:59 pm 

ON. TOPIC.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:13 pm 

going_the_distance wrote:
I'm not sure the Alonso/Webber bromance is as strong as it used to be. I've seen plenty of angry waved hands at each other on track lately and there have been some catty anti-Webber remarks made by Nando recently to try and unsettle RBR harmony.

Seb and Mark, on the other hand, seem to have healed their relationship.

I dont think they like each other. I met Mark at the Olympics and I wished him luck for the championship and "especially in beating Vettel". Mark responded - "Yeah. hes a real pain in the pickle."