planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 pm 

David Hobbs just announced on Twitter that he and Steve Matchett are going to NBC next year for F1... can't wait...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 pm 

Enjoy having Matchett around. Glad to hear he'll be back. He has some great back stories with his experience.

Hobbs? Not so much anymore. His novelty wore off in 2006 (I started watching in 2003). He has absolutely no experience to relate to in terms of driving a modern F1 car and, while most is still applicable I admit, his racing ethics revolve around cars not of this era, as well. We need a a driver to join the staff that's raced/tested in F1 since 2000. Badly.

Glad to see Varsha gone as well, as he routinely gets drivers mixed up during commentary.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:23 pm 

Honda Quick wrote:
Enjoy having Matchett around. Glad to hear he'll be back. He has some great back stories with his experience.

Hobbs? Not so much anymore. His novelty wore off in 2006 (I started watching in 2003). He has absolutely no experience to relate to in terms of driving a modern F1 car and, while most is still applicable I admit, his racing ethics revolve around cars not of this era, as well. We need a a driver to join the staff that's raced/tested in F1 since 2000. Badly.

Glad to see Varsha gone as well, as he routinely gets drivers mixed up during commentary.

I too like Matchett most....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:32 pm 

Leigh Diffey also tweeted he's going to NBC Sports. Think he'll be hosting?

EDIT: Didn't follow Hobbs on Twitter, turns out he mentioned Diffey. And a few sites have stories up about it
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012111 ... ign=social

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm 

Awesome news, nice to see 2 of the 3 amigos will be on the new team. I'll definitely miss Varsha though, but I'm familiar with Leigh being a commentator from Le Mans, the Euro GP, and Singapore. Still no word if Buxton will be joining the team though?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:59 pm 

While Hobbs' knowledge might not be current, the chemistry between him and Matchett is very good. I think they play off each other well.

Varsha used to be okay, but he's gotten on my nerves a bit the last couple of years. Leigh Diffy would be a good replacement for him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 am 

I think Hobbs is hilarious, and Matchett has a lot of knowledge to share so I'm happy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:04 am 

Love Steve Matchett..guy knows his F1 stuff.Bob Varsha even though somewhat aloof(as he tends to other stuff) still very respectfull and proffessional all the time

David Hopps...,i cant remember the last time any comentator irritated me as much as this guy does. Just plain awful,i'd rather have 3 David Coulthards than one Hopps...100% obnoxious,biased and absolutely hard on the ears,plz go away!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 am 

Great news!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:34 am 

i hope that Will Buxton will also goto NBC and be a pit reporter. Glad to see Diffy, Matchett and Hobbs going over. I like their commentary.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:14 pm 

Peter Windsor or Will Buxton???

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:38 pm 

f1aroo wrote:

I prefer Windsor....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:55 pm 

f1aroo wrote:

I hated Buxton at first, but he has grown on me.

I'm still kind of put off Windsor after the USF1 debacle. :x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:36 pm 

This is great news. If they can get Buxton as well then the US broadcast may be able to finally rival British commentators.
But as long as Sky and BBC provide commercial free race broadcasts, they will always be superior.
Plus, Sky has Natalie and Georgie so they always win by default 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:15 pm 

Hakkattack wrote:
David Hobbs just announced on Twitter that he and Steve Matchett are going to NBC next year for F1... can't wait...

For sure.

It's an old joke, but today during FP2, watching a replay of Maldonado's Williams belching smoke and fire out the right side exhaust:

Matchett: "Looks like a piston broke."

Hobbs: "Agreed. Reminds me, where are we going out tonight?"

These two work so well together, they should get a lifetime contract.

Hitco

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:07 am 

xECKSx58 wrote:
This is great news. If they can get Buxton as well then the US broadcast may be able to finally rival British commentators.
But as long as Sky and BBC provide commercial free race broadcasts, they will always be superior.
Plus, Sky has Natalie and Georgie so they always win by default 8)

Yeah we need some women!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:44 pm 

Hakkattack wrote:
f1aroo wrote:

I prefer Windsor....

Me too but I have grown to really like Will. Peter comes off as the more knowledgable and more professional (not to say Will isn't professional because he is so perhaps a more befitting word would be regal?) where as Will comes off as a bit more enthusiastic. I just don't care for Will's bouncing and excessive hand gesturing during commentary.

RaggedMan wrote:
f1aroo wrote:

When are people going to get off Peter's back for the USF1 debacle? The man had a dream of owning and fielding his own F1 team and he did all he could to make that happen. Getting into F1 is a tremendously difficult thing to achieve and from everything I've read, Peter held up his end of it and most of the blame for its catastrophic failure lies on Ken Anderson yet you rarely, if ever read or hear anyone mention his name. It's not fair that because Peter is the most recognizable of the 2, he gets all the blame for what happened. It's already old news and either way, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that Peter is an excellent F1 Journalist who still has a great deal to offer in more ways than one and anyone who can't separate the two really needs to reevaluate the situations and move forward with life. I feel that had Peter chosen someone other than Ken Anderson USF1 would've been on the grid on time for 2010 and would have participated in austin last week at their home grand prix. These things happen and we learn and move on which is what Peter has done. I don't know if he's given up on his dream just yet, but I hope for his sake he hasn't and I wish him the best as that's all he's given all of us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:27 pm 

the incubus wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
f1aroo wrote:

I prefer Windsor....

Me too but I have grown to really like Will. Peter comes off as the more knowledgable and more professional (not to say Will isn't professional because he is so perhaps a more befitting word would be regal?) where as Will comes off as a bit more enthusiastic. I just don't care for Will's bouncing and excessive hand gesturing during commentary.

RaggedMan wrote:
f1aroo wrote:

When are people going to get off Peter's back for the USF1 debacle? The man had a dream of owning and fielding his own F1 team and he did all he could to make that happen. Getting into F1 is a tremendously difficult thing to achieve and from everything I've read, Peter held up his end of it and most of the blame for its catastrophic failure lies on Ken Anderson yet you rarely, if ever read or hear anyone mention his name. It's not fair that because Peter is the most recognizable of the 2, he gets all the blame for what happened. It's already old news and either way, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that Peter is an excellent F1 Journalist who still has a great deal to offer in more ways than one and anyone who can't separate the two really needs to reevaluate the situations and move forward with life. I feel that had Peter chosen someone other than Ken Anderson USF1 would've been on the grid on time for 2010 and would have participated in austin last week at their home grand prix. These things happen and we learn and move on which is what Peter has done. I don't know if he's given up on his dream just yet, but I hope for his sake he hasn't and I wish him the best as that's all he's given all of us.

I agree. Except for his clear dislike of Ferrari, he was real good as a pit reporter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:44 pm 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
the incubus wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
f1aroo wrote:

I prefer Windsor....

RaggedMan wrote:
f1aroo wrote:

I agree. Except for his clear dislike of Ferrari, he was real good as a pit reporter.

but Windsor always loved Michael though

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:53 am 

Peter Windsor please

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:38 am 

Windsor > Buxton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:49 pm 

Doesn't really matter who the broadcast team is, as I'm sure NBC will do a sub par job of coverage just like Speed did.