planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:41 pm 

Hi guys, I just finished uploaded a racing accident video on youtube that has wtcc, gp2, gp3 formula ford, nascar and etc2 but nothing related to Formula One but FOM kindly managed to claim that my video has their copyrighted material(f1 vid) in it which it doesn't have. Tell me something, does Formua One Management hold rights to other racing series like F2 and F3?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 pm 

I thought anything that happened on track at an F1 circuit during an F1 weekend that was filmed by non-spectators was their copyright. I have no idea if that is correct though, that was just my own thoughts on the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm 

^ I don't think so because the Belgium gp crash that was filmed by a spectator haven't got taken down on youtube

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:54 pm 

They blocked a video I had on youtube of a lap I did at Monaco in F1 2010. They are WAY over the top with things like this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:56 pm 

Kolby wrote:
^ I don't think so because the Belgium gp crash that was filmed by a spectator haven't got taken down on youtube

That makes sense then if all non-spectator footage belonged to FOM.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:56 pm 

So they dont hold anything we film? I was thinking whether to put my vid up on youtube from the Singapore free practice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:58 pm 

guys , its the gp2 and gp3 footage that are part of FOM copyrights

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:05 pm 

Kolby wrote:
Hi guys, I just finished uploaded a racing accident video on youtube that has wtcc, gp2, gp3 formula ford, nascar and etc2 but nothing related to Formula One but FOM kindly managed to claim that my video has their copyrighted material(f1 vid) in it which it doesn't have. Tell me something, does Formua One Management hold rights to other racing series like F2 and F3?

A quick Wiki search seems to indicate that the holding company that runs the FOM also controls the rights to GP2 and GP3...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_Group

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:29 pm 

FOM basically own everything. Don't believe that statement about Disney buying Lucasfilm.. FOM did.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:47 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
As said above, anything captured on FOM cameras or broadcast by FOM is their copyright. F1, GP2 and GP3. Anything captured by fans is not. Interesting to hear about the video game.

I don't know if it's still the case but there used to be a website that kept data on what various rights holders had ordered removed from youtube. They had a table showing which organisations made the most demands for content removal. I expected a company like Disney to be top but it was our very own FOM. This was about 5 years ago.

of Alice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 am 

Anything they damn well think they do. Half the time they just make a claim whether entitled to or not, YouTube take the video down and if the user does not know their rights, the video disappears. More people are wising up now than was the case a few years ago.

What annoys me the most about it is, FOM taking down direct rips of F1 review DVDs I can understand because that is just piracy. But fan made tributes, reruns of races from 1978 that nobody can even buy from FOM? That's just being a big Scrooge. I would gladly pay per view for old races if such a service were offered, but instead they do their best to take content away from fans and reduce their chances of attracting new fans to the sport by letting existing fans do free promotion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:59 am 

If I upload a video of my pomeranian running around the back yard, can FOM take it down? do they own copyright over the video footage?
Will Bernie come around to my place and issue my pomeranian with a cease and desist letter?
What are my pomeranians rights under this scenario? He needs to know

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:29 am 

Bernie. The Metallica of motorsport.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:18 am 

tylerzaath wrote:
If I upload a video of my pomeranian running around the back yard, can FOM take it down? do they own copyright over the video footage?
Will Bernie come around to my place and issue my pomeranian with a cease and desist letter?

Depends on his name, if it has an "F" in it then you might be in trouble as I think FOM have copyright on the letter F. Also if there is only one of him it could get sticky as FOM also have copyright on the number 1.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:49 am 

Mr-E wrote:
FOM basically own everything. Don't believe that statement about Disney buying Lucasfilm.. FOM did.

Brilliant lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:03 am 

Lojik wrote:
tylerzaath wrote:

Depends on his name, if it has an "F" in it then you might be in trouble as I think FOM have copyright on the letter F. Also if there is only one of him it could get sticky as FOM also have copyright on the number 1.

If the name is Fifi you're in trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:21 am 

Covalent wrote:
Lojik wrote:
tylerzaath wrote:

If the name is Fifi you're in trouble.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm 

I was once personally taken down by FOM. It wasn't pleasant and I had to fight to get back up, but I managed it only to then not meet current safety standards and had to withdraw.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:23 pm 

What kind of video does FOM hold rights to?

Everything up to and including the missing footage from the Zapruder film, IIRC.

MS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:24 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Bernie. The Metallica of motorsport.

He's Creeping Death

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:29 pm 

Balibari wrote:
As said above, anything captured on FOM cameras or broadcast by FOM is their copyright. F1, GP2 and GP3. Anything captured by fans is not. Interesting to hear about the video game.

I don't know if it's still the case but there used to be a website that kept data on what various rights holders had ordered removed from youtube. They had a table showing which organisations made the most demands for content removal. I expected a company like Disney to be top but it was our very own FOM. This was about 5 years ago.

Not exactly. Sometimes you are not allowed do any video recording of race at all. That footage may have been taken illegally, thus there may be take down notice.

:)