planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:55 am
Posts: 543
Looking at the fuel prices in Texas really got me thinking...

Vettel, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Kobayashi and Alonso are few I know for sure don't live in their home countries anymore. If you had the choice, where'd you live?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am
Posts: 2243
Location: Singapore
Norway? I love the scenery. But the taxes are sky high though. Probably swiss.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:37 am
Posts: 440
Location: San Diego, California USA
Monaco


BTW fuel prices in the US are a bit deceptive to Europeans. My wife commutes about 100 miles a day for work, I work mostly at home but also out of my car and average around 150 miles a day with highs of about 300 miles in a day. Most areas outside of the north east US are very spread out compared to Europe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 pm
Posts: 614
Antarctica

_________________
RSR Racing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 am
Posts: 908
Location: Upsate NY, USA
Switzerland.
Beautiful, clean, good efficiency, and of course no income taxes :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:55 am
Posts: 543
xECKSx58 wrote:
Switzerland.
Beautiful, clean, good efficiency, and of course no income taxes :)


Me too :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2571
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
I'd share my time between Tokyo, London, Tuscany and a town-sized place somewhere in SouthEast Asia. Sod the tax, I couldn't waste life in Switzerland or Monaco.

Do any current drivers live (i.e. main home and where they pay tax) in their home nation? Rubens did. Of those I know about only Webber isn't in a tax haven. Renault/Lotus drivers were always told they have to live in the UK. Fred and Kovi both lived in Oxford, Petrov in that area too.

Alonso - Switzerland (and Italy)
Massa - Monaco (and Brazil)

Vettel - Switzerland
Webber - England

Hamilton - Monaco (and Grenada!)
Button - Monaco (and Jersey)

Kimi - Switzerland

Rosberg - Monaco
Schumi - Switzerland

di Resta - Monaco

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 4:41 pm
Posts: 468
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Somewhere in the French Riviera. I love seeing pictures, movie clips etc of the area.

_________________
Vettel / Raikkonen / Button


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:17 pm
Posts: 25
Since when did they fly their cars? I thought they were drivers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 6999
Location: London
Scotland.

If I was making the kind of money an F1 driver makes, even the Di Resta's, I'd stay at home and pay my taxes without complaint because it's home. As long as I had enough money to be comfortable I'd be fine.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
On the top step.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 5227
Laura23 wrote:
Scotland.

If I was making the kind of money an F1 driver makes, even the Di Resta's, I'd stay at home and pay my taxes without complaint because it's home. As long as I had enough money to be comfortable I'd be fine.

What is enough? You can as well donate 95% of such a high income and still have enough for comfortable life. Probably with more money comfortable life will mean haveing luxury sports car?

_________________
..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:23 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Earth
xECKSx58 wrote:
Switzerland.
Beautiful, clean, good efficiency, and of course no income taxes :)


:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:58 pm
Posts: 2317
Switzerland, or Canada. although i hear Canada are pretty strict when it comes to taxes and visas etc.

_________________
VI LXXVII XIV


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:21 am
Posts: 27
xECKSx58 wrote:
Switzerland.
Beautiful, clean, good efficiency, and of course no income taxes :)


I hate to blow that fantasy for you, but we do pay income tax in Switzerland - and probably more than you think. Of course, it's all relative and may as well be next to no tax if you're in those kinds of salary brackets. But the first three adjectives are definitely correct. :nod:

BTW, Schumi and Coulthard live in the next town over from me, and Kovalainen lives 15 mins away in Geneva. Hamilton did as well until he moved to Monaco earlier this year - he found Geneva a bit sedate for his tastes. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 376
Laura23 wrote:
Scotland.

If I was making the kind of money an F1 driver makes, even the Di Resta's, I'd stay at home and pay my taxes without complaint because it's home. As long as I had enough money to be comfortable I'd be fine.


When you consider how much of the year the F1 drivers will spend away from home, it would be well worth splitting the rest of your time between home and somewhere like Monaco to minimise your tax liabilities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:11 pm
Posts: 32
Balibari wrote:
I'd share my time between Tokyo, London, Tuscany and a town-sized place somewhere in SouthEast Asia. Sod the tax, I couldn't waste life in Switzerland or Monaco.

Do any current drivers live (i.e. main home and where they pay tax) in their home nation? Rubens did. Of those I know about only Webber isn't in a tax haven. Renault/Lotus drivers were always told they have to live in the UK. Fred and Kovi both lived in Oxford, Petrov in that area too.

Alonso - Switzerland (and Italy)
Massa - Monaco (and Brazil)

Vettel - Switzerland
Webber - England

Hamilton - Monaco (and Grenada!)
Button - Monaco (and Jersey)

Kimi - Switzerland

Rosberg - Monaco
Schumi - Switzerland

di Resta - Monaco


I thought Nando had moved back to Spain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11 pm
Posts: 170
sslater wrote:
Balibari wrote:
I'd share my time between Tokyo, London, Tuscany and a town-sized place somewhere in SouthEast Asia. Sod the tax, I couldn't waste life in Switzerland or Monaco.

Do any current drivers live (i.e. main home and where they pay tax) in their home nation? Rubens did. Of those I know about only Webber isn't in a tax haven. Renault/Lotus drivers were always told they have to live in the UK. Fred and Kovi both lived in Oxford, Petrov in that area too.

Alonso - Switzerland (and Italy)
Massa - Monaco (and Brazil)

Vettel - Switzerland
Webber - England

Hamilton - Monaco (and Grenada!)
Button - Monaco (and Jersey)

Kimi - Switzerland

Rosberg - Monaco
Schumi - Switzerland

di Resta - Monaco


I thought Nando had moved back to Spain.

He has because he said he didn't care about the taxes and just wanted to move back home

_________________
I love F1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
Switzerland. Looks like a beautiful place to get some peace and quiet between races, and with the ability to travel anywhere and do anything when excitement or glamor is in order, that's the type of place I'd want to call home.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:59 pm
Posts: 530
I would never leave my own country. Owning property, is entirely a different subject. Since, I'm from India, I'd probably have myself a lavish penthouse in Goa. :-P

_________________
#1

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion
2010,2011,2012.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 225
Monaco baby, really like the place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:04 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 1039
Location: The Finnish forests
Liechtenstein.
It's the Alps, has a certain thing about taxes, and is close to basically everything in Europe.

If I felt I have too much money to be healthy, I'd support my country by buying a house very close to where I live now (we're talking a maximum of 2 kilometers here) and stay in my home town whenever I have the time.
Alternatively, I live in Liechtenstein and just have a summer house in Finland (where I'd end up spending a lot of time anyway).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:40 am
Posts: 463
Location: Canada
My Home Country Canada. noone would know who you where there, i like the sound of that if i was an F1 driver.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:58 pm
Posts: 2317
Water wrote:
Liechtenstein.
It's the Alps, has a certain thing about taxes, and is close to basically everything in Europe.

If I felt I have too much money to be healthy, I'd support my country by buying a house very close to where I live now (we're talking a maximum of 2 kilometers here) and stay in my home town whenever I have the time.
Alternatively, I live in Liechtenstein and just have a summer house in Finland (where I'd end up spending a lot of time anyway).

Forgot about Liechtenstein... more companies than people

_________________
VI LXXVII XIV


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:07 pm
Posts: 510
xECKSx58 wrote:
Switzerland.
Beautiful, clean, good efficiency, and of course no income taxes :)

+1.

Nicest place in Europe to live I reckon so long as you have the money. Plus you can hop in the car and visit several different countries without much effort if you're bored on a weekend.

Only downside = you have to be fluent in at least 5 languages not to look like a total outsider. I'm pretty sure they all speak about 17 languages by the time they are 2 yrs old.

_________________
Trying to use 'tongue in cheek' humour in a forum is like wearing a Borat t-shirt in Kazakhstan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 6999
Location: London
dizlexik wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Scotland.

If I was making the kind of money an F1 driver makes, even the Di Resta's, I'd stay at home and pay my taxes without complaint because it's home. As long as I had enough money to be comfortable I'd be fine.

What is enough? You can as well donate 95% of such a high income and still have enough for comfortable life. Probably with more money comfortable life will mean haveing luxury sports car?
GingerFurball wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Scotland.

If I was making the kind of money an F1 driver makes, even the Di Resta's, I'd stay at home and pay my taxes without complaint because it's home. As long as I had enough money to be comfortable I'd be fine.


When you consider how much of the year the F1 drivers will spend away from home, it would be well worth splitting the rest of your time between home and somewhere like Monaco to minimise your tax liabilities.

I'd miss home too much and I love Scotland. If I had enough money to be comfortable (as in nice house and a nice car, doesn't have to be a Ferrari, nice stuff in my house etc) then I'd want to live in the country I love.

Maybe that's just me.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am
Posts: 1167
Nephilist wrote:
xECKSx58 wrote:
Switzerland.
Beautiful, clean, good efficiency, and of course no income taxes :)

+1.

Nicest place in Europe to live I reckon so long as you have the money. Plus you can hop in the car and visit several different countries without much effort if you're bored on a weekend.


I have a cousin, who is from Peru just like me, and has been living in switzerland for the last 20 or 25 years. He tells me with full confidence that it's the "most boring country in the world". Otherwise he likes the beauty of the sights, the safety and the orderliness.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm
Posts: 4405
Location: u.k
Home. With all your family and friends around you. I couldn't really stand living in some place like Monaco, even if it was a tax haven

Also, Alonso moved back to Spain a couple of years ago. Saying something along the liens of, he wanted to be close to friends and family.

_________________
Formula Mercedes

Forza Alonso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 4:41 pm
Posts: 468
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Mentally Hill wrote:
Since when did they fly their cars? I thought they were drivers.


They were, until Grosjean came along and showed them how!

_________________
Vettel / Raikkonen / Button


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:06 pm
Posts: 458
flavio81 wrote:
I have a cousin, who is from Peru just like me, and has been living in switzerland for the last 20 or 25 years. He tells me with full confidence that it's the "most boring country in the world". Otherwise he likes the beauty of the sights, the safety and the orderliness.


Your cousin is 100 % correct (also about the sights, the safety and the orderliness)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:06 pm
Posts: 458
RunningMan wrote:
Home. With all your family and friends around you. I couldn't really stand living in some place like Monaco, even if it was a tax haven

Also, Alonso moved back to Spain a couple of years ago. Saying something along the liens of, he wanted to be close to friends and family.


Yep Alonso moved back to Spain to be closer to family (not long after his divorce I think) - the move is supposed to have cost him around €30m in extra tax. 8O


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:06 pm
Posts: 547
The Lake District, will have enough to live on a run a little smallholding.

_________________
Jenson Button & Williams F1 Team supporter!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 am
Posts: 559
Location: Finland
I could not see moving away from my home country, Finland and i have lived in France, Lille, plus Berlin over 3 years combined.
That naturally means silly Nordic taxes and such, but if i had Kimi's salary... i think i would manage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 am
Posts: 908
Location: Upsate NY, USA
Balibari wrote:
I'd share my time between Tokyo, London, Tuscany and a town-sized place somewhere in SouthEast Asia. Sod the tax, I couldn't waste life in Switzerland or Monaco.

Do any current drivers live (i.e. main home and where they pay tax) in their home nation? Rubens did. Of those I know about only Webber isn't in a tax haven. Renault/Lotus drivers were always told they have to live in the UK. Fred and Kovi both lived in Oxford, Petrov in that area too.

Alonso - Switzerland (and Italy)
Massa - Monaco (and Brazil)

Vettel - Switzerland
Webber - England

Hamilton - Monaco (and Grenada!)
Button - Monaco (and Jersey)

Kimi - Switzerland

Rosberg - Monaco
Schumi - Switzerland

di Resta - Monaco

Kimi has a few houses, but his two "homes" are in Switzerland and Finland.
But I think his taxes go to the Swiss bc he spends the "majority" of his time there.
But he spends a good amount of time in his home in Finland.
I can't remember the city it's in, but it wasn't the one in Helsinki.
It was between Helsinki and Turku I believe, it looks like a big log cabin IIRC.

flavio81 wrote:
Nephilist wrote:
xECKSx58 wrote:
Switzerland.
Beautiful, clean, good efficiency, and of course no income taxes :)

+1.

Nicest place in Europe to live I reckon so long as you have the money. Plus you can hop in the car and visit several different countries without much effort if you're bored on a weekend.


I have a cousin, who is from Peru just like me, and has been living in switzerland for the last 20 or 25 years. He tells me with full confidence that it's the "most boring country in the world". Otherwise he likes the beauty of the sights, the safety and the orderliness.

But they have the highest gun ownership per capita, how could it possibly be boring? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:06 pm
Posts: 458
Laura23 wrote:
Scotland.

If I was making the kind of money an F1 driver makes, even the Di Resta's, I'd stay at home and pay my taxes without complaint because it's home. As long as I had enough money to be comfortable I'd be fine.


Sure I saw in one of JYS's documentaries where he explained why he left Scotland in the 70's for Switzerland - the main reason was that he was getting taxed at a rate of 97%. Nothing wrong with patriotism and wanting to pay your fair share of taxes but 97%!. No one should have to have their patriotism tested like that, or be thought worse of if they move to better the deal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 am
Posts: 559
Location: Finland
xECKSx58 wrote:
Kimi has a few houses, but his two "homes" are in Switzerland and Finland.
But I think his taxes go to the Swiss bc he spends the "majority" of his time there.
But he spends a good amount of time in his home in Finland.
I can't remember the city it's in, but it wasn't the one in Helsinki.
It was between Helsinki and Turku I believe, it looks like a big log cabin IIRC.


Kimi has multiple houses in Finland.
One 14.5 million euros house in Helsinki, another apartment house in Helsinki center, one in his home town Espoo and i believe that a log cabin is in Porkkala.
Image
Image


Last edited by tissot on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:51 am
Posts: 152
Laura23 wrote:
Scotland.

If I was making the kind of money an F1 driver makes, even the Di Resta's, I'd stay at home and pay my taxes without complaint because it's home. As long as I had enough money to be comfortable I'd be fine.


Say no to starbucks.... :thumbdown:

_________________
Jenson, Just watch your supply of hot weather hats! O'k. Good on ya.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 am
Posts: 908
Location: Upsate NY, USA
tissot wrote:
xECKSx58 wrote:
Kimi has a few houses, but his two "homes" are in Switzerland and Finland.
But I think his taxes go to the Swiss bc he spends the "majority" of his time there.
But he spends a good amount of time in his home in Finland.
I can't remember the city it's in, but it wasn't the one in Helsinki.
It was between Helsinki and Turku I believe, it looks like a big log cabin IIRC.


Kimi has multiple houses in Finland.
One 14.5 million euros house in Helsinki, another apartment house in Helsinki center and i believe that "log cabin" is in his home town, Espoo.
Image

I'm fairly certain that the "log cabin" house is not in Espoo.
I want to think it's in Piikiö, but google doesn't suggest that this is true.
That's where Jenni is from though, so it would make sense if that's where it was.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 am
Posts: 559
Location: Finland
xECKSx58 wrote:
tissot wrote:
xECKSx58 wrote:
Kimi has a few houses, but his two "homes" are in Switzerland and Finland.
But I think his taxes go to the Swiss bc he spends the "majority" of his time there.
But he spends a good amount of time in his home in Finland.
I can't remember the city it's in, but it wasn't the one in Helsinki.
It was between Helsinki and Turku I believe, it looks like a big log cabin IIRC.


Kimi has multiple houses in Finland.
One 14.5 million euros house in Helsinki, another apartment house in Helsinki center and i believe that "log cabin" is in his home town, Espoo.

I'm fairly certain that the "log cabin" house is not in Espoo.
I want to think it's in Piikiö, but google doesn't suggest that this is true.
That's where Jenni is from though, so it would make sense if that's where it was.


Yeah you are actually right. Just fixed it above. I remember seeing interview of Kimi in that house and for some reason connected it with Espoo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 6999
Location: London
nexus wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Scotland.

If I was making the kind of money an F1 driver makes, even the Di Resta's, I'd stay at home and pay my taxes without complaint because it's home. As long as I had enough money to be comfortable I'd be fine.


Sure I saw in one of JYS's documentaries where he explained why he left Scotland in the 70's for Switzerland - the main reason was that he was getting taxed at a rate of 97%. Nothing wrong with patriotism and wanting to pay your fair share of taxes but 97%!. No one should have to have their patriotism tested like that, or be thought worse of if they move to better the deal.

That was the 70's though. I think tax in the UK for people earning over 150K is around 50% now. Still huge but if you earned millions then you aren't going to miss it either.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amon, Arai_or_Nothing, bcm70, Blake, brakesteer97, fasteddie, Jayman, JMILAT, Lord Crc, mcdo, Migen, painless, shoot999, tootsie323, UnlikeUday, veffy, Water and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.140s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]