planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
I don't have a problem with turn 1 at Austin. The straight climbs approximately 130 feet to the corner, which is tight and blind on entry. The cars are not going to go through the corner at 200 MPH, they are not going to get launched like an SU-27 from the Liaoning. And the same going downhill, they will not get unsettled because they won't be going 200 MPH leaving turn 1.

This is a driver's track, if any driver screws up at any track there can be problems. Austin has a very wide track, and overall great visibility.

:thumbup:

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:16 am 

metamorphomisk wrote:
So.... pole position. Which side does pole start? And which side is the " clean " side? I'm curious o_o

The right hand side according to Jonny Herbert on Sky.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 am 

my only quarrel with Turn 1 is that instead of making the track flat again at the turn, they should have carried the hill on so the turn was heavily banked and it'd be way cooler than any other hairpin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:22 am 

FormulaFun wrote:
my only quarrel with Turn 1 is that instead of making the track flat again at the turn, they should have carried the hill on so the turn was heavily banked and it'd be way cooler than any other hairpin

Similar to the A1 Ring?

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 am 

FormulaFun wrote:

I think they should have had the apex on the crest of the hill having a negative camber turn ... It would be one of the hardest technical turns on the circuit. Banking the turn would just make it easier for the drivers ... but it would look cooler banked.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07 am 

Maybe if a bear shows up and you don't have bear repellent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:13 am 

metamorphomisk wrote:
So.... pole position. Which side does pole start? And which side is the " clean " side? I'm curious o_o

Pole position is always placed on the clean side of the track, or whichever side is closest to it, so it will be on the right hand side of the picture posted on the previous page.

Last edited by Aeson on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14 am 

Yeah the race down to T1 is long, the front runners will have gotten away by then, and its up to the middle and rear packs to take it carefully - but i still expect a SC after the first lap.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:31 am 

stevey wrote:
Yeah the race down to T1 is long, the front runners will have gotten away by then, and its up to the middle and rear packs to take it carefully - but i still expect a SC after the first lap.

Yeah there likely will be one on the first lap. Although saying that, the runoff areas are HUGE so as long as we dont get an idiot trying an impossible move, it should be ok - if anyone has to retire they can just pull off into the side.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 am 

Ev0lutionz wrote:

Grosjean said turn 1 looks fun. So could be a pile up.

Now all we need is Maldonado to say the same and we'll know that there will be a pile up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:48 am 

Its all part of the game... accept it or dont race!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:31 am 

Austin circuit reminds me of Spa 8O

F1 doesn't need another Eau Rouge or La Source

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 am 

It'll only be dangerous if some noodle forgets what their brake pedal was designed for.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:50 am 

Drove in on f1 2012, not getting used to it yet! Lots of blind apexes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:10 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
You are being way other the top safety wise. F1 as many activities in life will always and should always carry an element of risk.

Yeah, F1 "should" carry an element of risk.

Wow.

Tell that to Senna, Clark, Ascari, Villenueve, that F1 SHOULD carry an element of risk, because some nutter in a sofa at home thinks so.

For a start F1 now is very different in terms of safety than it was when any of the drivers died.

All those drivers new what the risks were and chose to do it anyway. Yes it is very tragic that these men were taken at such a young age but they all made a decision in full mental capacity that they were comfortable with the risks.

F1 safety standards had to improve and they have. Thats not to say nobody will ever die again in all probability there will be another death, but forgetting about F1 and looking at life in general there is far to much of an attitude that nobody need get hurt ever again. I mean where do you stop. I could say if you really cared about safety why not ban motor racing all together. It is a pointless risk after all.

Yeah what's a bit of risk?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5118&view

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm 

not dangerous, I personally think a medium to high speed first turn would be more dangerous, as people trying to get position, getting cut up and braking, and others not expecting someone to brake..

A low speed corner is the safer option

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:51 pm 

Surely for a first lap, Turn 11 or Turn 12 are going to be one for an incident. Particularly if someone has either made a bad start and is looking to make up ground, or has made a ridiculously good start and is out of position.

It's either going to be a case of someone trying to get in front at the corner to charge onto the straight, or a case of lots of slipstreams down the straight with several cars diving for position at turn 12... (think Lewis/Button/Alonso in India)

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:57 pm 

Bakerking31 wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

I think they should have had the apex on the crest of the hill having a negative camber turn ... It would be one of the hardest technical turns on the circuit. Banking the turn would just make it easier for the drivers ... but it would look cooler banked.

Yeah it would be more of a challenge to have it off camber, but i think its important for a circuit to find a good balance between challenge and fun for the drivers, turn 1 as it is now is very similar to turn 2/3 in India

LITE992 wrote:
Similar to the A1 Ring?

well kind of yeah, but it'd a sharper turn, even more banked with an immediate down hill afterwards, it'd be like a roller coaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:04 pm 

In the game, T1 seems quite unsighted, but hopefully the drivers will bear this in mind at the start and give each other plenty of room. I suspect there'll be a bit of off track action later on though, as they try to push too hard on worn tyres. That elevation change as you go around the corner, from uphill to downhill, is bound to catch somebody out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 pm 

JimR123 wrote:
In the game, T1 seems quite unsighted, but hopefully the drivers will bear this in mind at the start and give each other plenty of room. I suspect there'll be a bit of off track action later on though, as they try to push too hard on worn tyres. That elevation change as you go around the corner, from uphill to downhill, is bound to catch somebody out.

I rammed into people while trying to overtake. Hopefully Grosjean does not do that on race day.. If he wants, just ram Vettel out only. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:02 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
JimR123 wrote:

I rammed into people while trying to overtake. Hopefully Grosjean does not do that on race day.. If he wants, just ram Vettel out only. :lol:

Grosjean is good driver once he survives lap #2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:52 pm 

After watching FP1 I think it is a bit dangerous mostly because of the blind apex. Handling the car shouldn't be a problem and all the teams will set their cars up for the gradient changes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:06 pm 

Where do you nervous nellies come from. The weekend has barely started and already we have some people predicating problems. Motorsport is dangerous, drivers are dangerous, this track is no different or more dangerous than any other track. Settle down.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:43 pm 

After watching FP2, I think that Turn 1 does look a bit hairy. Not so much at the start but later in the race when a driver exiting the pits is trying to leapfrog another on the track. Coming fast up the exit lane just as the other driver begins his turn into the apex, the former seems to have a momentary blind spot. 8O