planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:27 am 

I think he has 2 modes of interviewing, when he is focussed before a race or winding down after a race or in his private time, you get the monosyllabic and 'rude' responses, however when he is relaxed, he likes to talk.

Either way, enjoy reading his interviews (and pitwall conversations)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:29 am 

I also love the fact that there is only one forum for all things kimi in this website. If I was a hamilton fan, I would be looking at a 100 new threads a day

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:29 am 

Aegis wrote:
True. Seemed to be an unnaturally high amount of "HA"s. Maybe they liquored him up first.

or maybe they posted these questions to Lotus PR and asked them to get answers from Kimi and they wrote it down for him LOLz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:24 am 

Wondering how useful Jerome's first hand experience could be? He had old equipment and seemed very precarious around the track, but hopefully he had some useful pointers for Lotus to get a jump start on their Friday prep. Also hope he's laid down some good rubber at p4 and p5 slots :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:31 am 

Jinx wrote:
Aegis wrote:
True. Seemed to be an unnaturally high amount of "HA"s. Maybe they liquored him up first.

or maybe they posted these questions to Lotus PR and asked them to get answers from Kimi and they wrote it down for him LOLz

And a lot of laughs along with the "HA"s :S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:32 am 

Quote:
Q: How long are you planning to stay in F1 racing?
KR: I have a contract until the end of 2013 - and then we will see. 2013 might be my last year - and it might be not. You never know. At the moment I like it.

I hope he stays beyond 2013

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:55 am 

i saw an scanned article on china forum stating that the night when kimi won in abu dhabi, that instant brought a loud round of applauce from the interviewers from different regions in the media room.

And during driver PC, all the media let the only two finnish reporters to present their questions first.

Kimi's win is indeed too damn popular LOL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:26 am 

I hope the new coanda version pushes the car further and allows Kimi to qualify higher.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 am 

BlackSG5 wrote:
Aegis wrote:
Relatively long interview with Kimi on the official f1 site.
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 14053.html

i wonder if it's really him 'coz he seem very chatty and has so many (laughs). :lol:

Probably made on the telephone and edited from both sides before publishing. They might even send some of the questions beforehand.

It's called PR

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:10 am 

SwSpeed wrote:
BlackSG5 wrote:
Aegis wrote:
Relatively long interview with Kimi on the official f1 site.
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 14053.html

i wonder if it's really him 'coz he seem very chatty and has so many (laughs). :lol:

Probably made on the telephone and edited from both sides before publishing. They might even send some of the questions beforehand.

It's called PR

I'm agreeing with this assumption. All of his interviews on the Formula1.com page seem to have him as more "talkative" than with anybody else (even Heikki Kulta!)
My original assumption was that it was just free editing on the Formula1.com side added to the fact that Kimi knows its for the official website that makes him take it more seriously? (Not very likely)

Especially when comparing his comments on the Austin circuit at yesterdays press conference

Q: Gentlemen, a question to you all to start with: what are your impressions of the circuit so far; your feelings about being back in America. What it's like to be back here?

Kimi RAIKKONEN: I've only seen the video from when they did the demo run here, but I haven't seen the circuit itself. I will see tomorrow how it goes.

Q: You won't even walk the circuit this afternoon?

KR: I don't know yet. I'll have to see.

Q: After the comment from the last grand prix, it's good to see...

KR: Well, I mean, if I found a golf cart or something.

Vs.

Q: Coming to this weekend, this is the first Grand Prix in the United States since 2007 - and the first on a track purpose built for F1 racing. What is your impression so far?
KR: First of all, it looks fantastic and from what I have experienced on the computer it also must feel fantastic to race it. I am very much looking forward to getting into the car tomorrow and getting a taste. Superficially you have to say that with the many colours it looks like a piece of art, so let’s hope that it is also arty to drive.

Very different tone. And I don't think Kimi would use a word like superficially in place of something else. Because it's a hard word for Finn's to pronounce and, well its Kimi!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:26 am 

WiredKiwi wrote:
appletree wrote:
Courtesy Nicole

Engineer: Räikkönen's quali-stint came as a shock to his teammate - "Classic Kimi"

Kimi's race engineer Mark Slade told that Kimi drove a flawless lap in Q3 in Abu Dhabi.

What made it exceptional was that Romain Grosjean's car wasn't in a poorer stitch, yet he lost more than five tenths to Räikkönen.

- Kimi's Q3-lap was fantastic, but what really made it succeed was the third sector - he found in a couple of corners, especially in the last corner, tenths of a second which he hadn't found earlier, Slade told in Flying Lap -website broadcasting.

- It's interesting because if you compare it to Romain's lap they were practically holding identical times before the third sector. After that Kimi snatched a difference of half a second in just five corners. One can say that Romain was a bit surprised when he looked at the data afterwards.

Kimi's trick didn't come as any big surprise to Slade.

- It's classic Kimi. He always has something in store and he knows when to use it and when to take the most out of it.

- Sometimes it goes a bit wrong. In Suzuka we saw him take a bit of a risk and it didn't succeed. But this time it worked perfectly and it was surely a fantastic lap.

http://www.suomif1.com/2012/11/insinoor ... sta-kimia/

Kimi's race engineer in Abu Dhabi was Simon Rennie, not Slade.

:thumbup: for the translation though

Simon Rennie was his engineer while the race was going on, heard at the other site Slade doesnt like to talk in head phones during the races so the second race engineer ,Simon Rennie was in charge. Drivers race engineers job is to be in touch with the driver and translate his words to other engineers, for example in free practises, if there is something what has to be changed. During quali also.I gather thats why Kimi took slade with him to Lotus..they know each other well and there is no hesitation between them if something isnt right. So probably Mark and Simon , both of them know what Kimi did in Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 pm 

F1nsider wrote:
I hope the new coanda version pushes the car further and allows Kimi to qualify higher.

fingers crossed!
I really hope he qualifies in the top 4...if he manages that, a podium would be possible methinks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 pm 

WiredKiwi wrote:

(sigh) how about facts and video interviews in? Slade IS Kimi's racing engineer. Simon is the second engineer.

EDIT: sorry, just noticed that applbee already answered

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 pm 

The interesting battle here is that the top 2 is starting to play safer.

At the same time, one of them can secure the championship this weekend. McLaren and Lotus can arise to collect a win

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 pm 

Räikkönen's driving is at its best

F1 | Turun Sanomat 00:10

Good races with a poorer car is a big thing for the driver, although the big audience usually don't notice those kinds of performances.

The media scolded Kimi Räikkönen three years ago, claiming he had lost his motivation because that year's Ferrari had no chances to succeed.

Räikkönen himself is of a completely different opinion.

– You know yourself when you have drove well. If you don't have a car you can make it with, then you can be for example 10th in each race although you would have drove better than when winning races. It doesn't mean that your motivation would crumble if you don't get good results with a poor car, Räikkönen says in TS-interview.

– I drove really well that season. If I would quickly compare then I don't think that I would have drove better before that.

Räikkönen probably drove his career's best race when he won the Belgian GP with the Ferrari in 2009.

– Back then we really didn't have a good car. Giancarlo Fisichella should probably had won the race because I couldn't get anywhere with that car. So much depended upon me getting the car to work for myself in that race.

Praisal from Stella

Räikkönen's race engineer from that time, Andrea Stella, works now with Fernando Alonso. He admits that both drivers are spectacular when they get everything out of every car.

– Three years ago Kimi did completely wonders with that car at some point of the season and snatched points in the same pace the leading drivers did. When Fisichella came to Ferrari and got the same car he couldn't even get within a second of Kimi.

– Kimi drove a few completely magical races already in 2007. China was a race like that when his mid-term tires were worn out but still he continued bombing the same lap times.

Good driving in autumn's races

Räikkönen won after three years in Abu Dhabi where he kept Alonso's attacking in check.

– I think that I have drove as good in the last races as I did in 2009. It went well especially in Abu Dhabi. I don't think that anything would be missing from my driving. Of course when you don't have the best cars it's more difficult to get everything in place. You get bigger differences with this car if your setups are in place or not, Räikkönen clears.

– I got the car to work the way I wanted in Abu Dhabi, that's why the qualification and race went so well, Kimi said.

Räikkönen's race engineer in Lotus is Mark Slade.

– The best races are those who are the most difficult to win. While driving they are least enjoyable but afterwards you can then sigh and say WOW, we did a really good job. We remember those victories.

– I put Abu Dhabi in the same class as Suzuka 2005 when Kimi won from the 17th grid. This was a new similar performance, Slade said.

The radio message became a classic

They remember the radio communication with Lotus as well as Räikkönen's victory.
Slade knows Räikkönen and he adviced his colleague Simon Rennie to keep quiet. However he did what he was supposed to do when the tire temperatures were put to test behind the SC.

– The gang pressed him to tell this and that to Kimi. I said to Simon 'don't tell'. I adviced that it's not worth the trouble.

– There's nothing strange about that. It's completely okay that sometimes you have to inform the driver. Of course Kimi is very concentrated at that point. The comment in the radio is just his way of answering. He didn't meant it the way he said. He just expressed that he is concentrating fully and knows exactly what he is doing. That's what Kimi is like when he really is at his best, Slade emphasized.

Now the hunt for podiums continues in America.

– I myself have always had fun in America. The feeling there is different than anywhere else. It's the "America", Räikkönen smiles.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/415 ... aimmillaan
courtesy Nicole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:26 pm 

thanks apple...and Nicole ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:40 pm 

amazing stuff.. thanks for translating :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:34 pm 

Kimi stopped in the pitlane :(

PS: thanks appletree & Nicole :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:36 pm 

Yeah, bad FP1, not sure what they were testing

Quote:
16:32 Raikkonen, meanwhile, had been ordered in for pitstop practice but didn't make the exit light and has been forced to abandon his Lotus.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:28 am 

Kimi personation, they got it right to the helmet colours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxWXATIIjWU

Kimi's fan following reaching new avenues :)

As usual, nothing much to read into Kimi's practice times, qualifying tomorrow should be interesting, lotus as usual should be between P5 and P7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:31 am 

appletree wrote:
WiredKiwi wrote:
appletree wrote:
Courtesy Nicole

Engineer: Räikkönen's quali-stint came as a shock to his teammate - "Classic Kimi"

Kimi's race engineer Mark Slade told that Kimi drove a flawless lap in Q3 in Abu Dhabi.

What made it exceptional was that Romain Grosjean's car wasn't in a poorer stitch, yet he lost more than five tenths to Räikkönen.

- Kimi's Q3-lap was fantastic, but what really made it succeed was the third sector - he found in a couple of corners, especially in the last corner, tenths of a second which he hadn't found earlier, Slade told in Flying Lap -website broadcasting.

- It's interesting because if you compare it to Romain's lap they were practically holding identical times before the third sector. After that Kimi snatched a difference of half a second in just five corners. One can say that Romain was a bit surprised when he looked at the data afterwards.

Kimi's trick didn't come as any big surprise to Slade.

- It's classic Kimi. He always has something in store and he knows when to use it and when to take the most out of it.

- Sometimes it goes a bit wrong. In Suzuka we saw him take a bit of a risk and it didn't succeed. But this time it worked perfectly and it was surely a fantastic lap.

http://www.suomif1.com/2012/11/insinoor ... sta-kimia/

Simon Rennie was his engineer while the race was going on, heard at the other site Slade doesnt like to talk in head phones during the races so the second race engineer ,Simon Rennie was in charge. Drivers race engineers job is to be in touch with the driver and translate his words to other engineers, for example in free practises, if there is something what has to be changed. During quali also.I gather thats why Kimi took slade with him to Lotus..they know each other well and there is no hesitation between them if something isnt right. So probably Mark and Simon , both of them know what Kimi did in Abu Dhabi.

Slade was already at Lotus - Kimi didn't bring him there, he just requested him as his RE.

Slade was the one on the radio earlier in the season but for reasons not made public they changed it to Rennie being on the squawk box. Slade's title remains race engineer, but Rennie is performing that role during races. It's a subtle shift in roles but one that journalists often fail to attribute correctly.

Tous Avec Jules #17

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:06 am 

^ Slade joined Lotus this year, he was with Merc last year

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:42 am 

xECKSx58 wrote:

Yes. But he worked with Renault in the 2010 season before going to Mercedes. Kimi asked them to get him

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:22 am 

F1nsider wrote:
xECKSx58 wrote:

Yes. But he worked with Renault in the 2010 season before going to Mercedes. Kimi asked them to get him

He was Kimi's engineer back in McLaren, Kimi brought him specifically because of this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:37 pm 

I am sure we could talk about Slade beeing here and there for ever but back to the business.. :-P

Courtesy Nicole

Räikkönen goes back to his normal positions

F1 | Turun Sanomat 11:01

The anticipated opening victory didn't upset the everyday life in Lotus-camp. The Enstone-team went to America to do their best.

– Winning last race didn't change anything. It doesn't mean that we are favorites this weekend and would start winning continuously. I think that we are pretty much in the normal positions and can get to the Top 5 in qualification if our car suits this track as well as it suited the two earlier tracks, Kimi thinks.

Räikkönen had in the practice the latest Coanda-system's exhaust pipe and a renewed front wing which Lotus had worked on ever since the young drivers' test in Abu Dhabi.

– In India and Abu Dhabi we knew that our car should suit the tracks. Now that department is is an unknown thing on this completely new track.

Räikkönen's blurt in the team radio in Abu Dhabi assured everyone that he knows what he is doing.

– At least I think I know. Then again all it takes is one bad race and they claim that I can't do anything right. That's why I better do right, Räikkönen laughs.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/415 ... aikoilleen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:39 pm 

Courtesy Nicole

Nine good ones

Column 17.11.

Numbers have a symbolical meaning. It's claimed that 9 represents rebirth and growth.

This offers a splendid metaphor for today's F1-top. This season Kimi Räikkönen grew up to become a GP-winner with number 9 and the bull's eye in Abu Dhabi can well be seen as Kimi's rebirth to the top elite of F1-drivers.

When Räikkönen came back to F1 from WRC his racing number grew from Citroen WRC-car's 8 into Lotus F1-car's 9.

Kimi refined his number with a new helmet design that differed from before, with 9 coming out strikingly in red.

I asked Kimi if 9 has some special meaning for him since it's so visible in his helmet, but he replied that it's only his racing number.

Number 9 has always been a guarantee of at least a good season. But even statistical facts are related to that number.

Räikkönen himself was the last driver who won a GP-race with a car that had number 9 on it. It was with McLaren in Japan GP year 2005.

All and all Räikkönen has now won eight times with number 9.

There are other nice Finnish memories related to this number. Mika Häkkinen's first victory in Jerez 1997 was also with McLaren's car number 9. He won the WDC next season with number 8.

Other rare victories with 9 are Damon Hill with Jordan in Belgium 1998 and Olivier Panis with Ligier in Monaco 1996.

If you look through the statistic you can also find that Vittorio Brambilla's only victory came with March in Austria 1975.

Other drivers who also drove car number 9 when winning their first victory were Bruce McLaren (USA 1959), Denny Hulme (Monaco 1967) and Francois Cevert (USA 1971).

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/kolumn ... ksan+hyvaa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:11 pm 

I predict Kimi qualies 7th today.... and I would be ok with that here....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:05 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:11 pm 

The Lotus is looking slugish here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:14 pm 

I don't see any reason why the Lotus would be 1.275 seconds down, things will even out in qualifying. They're not going to find speed out of nowhere, but they should qualify a lot better than practice shows. They haven't exactly lost 0.7 seconds in two weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:10 pm 

I doubt it is a tyre temp issue as having no grip should warm those tyres up even more and wear them fast. We have seen though the car not be that great on high speed tracks.

Can anyone see what sector the Lotus is losing the most time or is it consistent throughout?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:36 pm 

Kimi on 1.37.4. Should be safe for top ten..... i think...... i hope!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 pm 

Track seems to be giving a lot more so maybe not

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:46 pm 

Nice heart stopping moment at 6:00 am in the morning.

Thanks kimi :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm 

omg that was close 8O but thankfully he's in

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:56 pm 

Lack of simulator time really showing here, Roman spends allot of time in the Simulator and it seems to be helping him get the advantage over Kimi so far at the new track. Though probably in race Kimi will beat him again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:58 pm 

F1Thomas wrote:
Lack of simulator time really showing here, Roman spends allot of time in the Simulator and it seems to be helping him get the advantage over Kimi so far at the new track. Though probably in race Kimi will beat him again.

Gros got 5 place penalty. Kimi made okish time 1.37.040

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:02 pm 

Lol one of the best qualis for Raikkonen. Was not expecting that. :D
Raikkonen will be starting from the 4th place.

Now actually expecting quite a bit better race from Lotus and Kimi. Though he will be starting from the dirty side.

Last edited by tissot on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:02 pm 

His race pace should be fine anyway, maybe on for p3/p4 unless others get in trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:03 pm 

Very good quali from both Lotus drivers. 4th is not bad.. Some say, you can even win from that slot ;)