planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dirty Side VS Clean Side
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:50 pm 

Anyone who saw Lewis 's start in Fp3 on dirty side will know how bad it is.....massa said that it was worst than starting on wet track...

Expect 1,3,5,7,9....n to jump 2,4,6,8,10......n

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:09 pm 

Sorry to be pedantic, but I don't expect 1st on the grid to overtake anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Sorry to be pedantic, but I don't expect 1st on the grid to overtake anyone.

Also, I don't expect n to jump himself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:20 pm 

But yeah, the ones on the dirty side will have an exceptionally big disadvantage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:23 pm 

Don't worry about it, tomorrow they will rubber it up on the warm up lap.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 pm 

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/11/14069.html wrote:
Q: What about the race tomorrow? You were very competitive obviously in qualifying but what about in the race itself?
LH: That side I don’t really know. We did a couple of laps on the longer run. Looking after tyres is going to be quite difficult tomorrow. Obviously it’s quite a demanding circuit for tyres with the overheating of the surface of the tyres so I don’t know. I hope I can get away well. I hope… going to ask Charlie to clean that side of the grid so the people on that side get an equal start and hope that I can fight Sebastian down to Turn One. After that it’s a difficult circuit to follow, I think, because it’s so fast. Position will be everything.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:27 pm 

Covalent wrote:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/11/14069.html wrote:
Q: What about the race tomorrow? You were very competitive obviously in qualifying but what about in the race itself?
LH: That side I don’t really know. We did a couple of laps on the longer run. Looking after tyres is going to be quite difficult tomorrow. Obviously it’s quite a demanding circuit for tyres with the overheating of the surface of the tyres so I don’t know. I hope I can get away well. I hope… going to ask Charlie to clean that side of the grid so the people on that side get an equal start and hope that I can fight Sebastian down to Turn One. After that it’s a difficult circuit to follow, I think, because it’s so fast. Position will be everything.

I don't think I remember ever reading any entertaining LH quote, but now I have. :thumbup:

On a serious note, all the drivers seem to agree the dirty side is terrible. Wonder what's going to happen... I doubt it's Charlie with a broom.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:40 pm 

Dirty side sounds so sexy though!..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:58 pm 

Didn't Button claim earlier this week P2 might hold an advantage? I hope he now agrees it doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:06 pm 

Easy to fix the dirty side. We race on concrete indoor tracks in the winter and to get the grip level up we spread coca cola on the race surface. Works like a hot damn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:32 am 

this will be the dirtiest track on the calendar for sure.... hope it does not cause a bunch of wrecks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:12 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Didn't Button claim earlier this week P2 might hold an advantage? I hope he now agrees it doesn't.

Wasn't he referring to the fact that 2nd on the grid has a greater distance of flat track to accelerate on before starting the climb to turn one? Or must be automatically now agree because Lord Lewis says it is not good to start P2?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:17 am 

So much for a fantastic race

Vettel will be miles ahead after the first corner, Lewis will have dropped a few places. Webber will be second acting as a rear gunner and no doubt alonso will get bent over at the first corner.

I'm looking forward to the race but I really want to see both red bulls break down to make it an interesting race and final race

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 am 

w1Y! wrote:
So much for a fantastic race

Vettel will be miles ahead after the first corner, Lewis will have dropped a few places. Webber will be second acting as a rear gunner and no doubt alonso will get bent over at the first corner.

I'm looking forward to the race but I really want to see both red bulls break down to make it an interesting race and final race

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 am 

If LH is slow off the start he will be battling with MSch... That will only end one way !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:16 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:

Wasn't he referring to the fact that 2nd on the grid has a greater distance of flat track to accelerate on before starting the climb to turn one? Or must be automatically now agree because Lord Lewis says it is not good to start P2?!

Couldn't care for Hamilton's opinion, he's getting back to moaning about anything that affects him.

Webber's already stated it's dustier on the dirty side and Massa's also commented. I believe Button made his comment before any real running, that was what I was referring to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:47 pm 

Have the drivers who has said starting on the dirty side is like starting in the wet actually done a comparison between the two sides?

Or are they just speculating that the other side is much better

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:02 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:05 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:

Or it could be the fact Buttons the only person to claim that P2 might hold an advantage and everyone else disagrees. Or must we automatically agree because Lord Jenson says it is good to start P2 despite differing opinions from drivers and pundits alike?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:06 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:

Couldn't care for Hamilton's opinion, he's getting back to moaning about anything that affects him.

Webber's already stated it's dustier on the dirty side and Massa's also commented. I believe Button made his comment before any real running, that was what I was referring to.

Why are you getting annoyed at him saying that off the racing line is dirty? He isn't moaning about anything that affects him, he was asked about it, also it was clearly a joke, if you'd seen when he said it to the BBC you would have noticed it was in a very jovial manner. Also you said it yourself others mentioned it as well, are they back to their old ways of moaning about things that affect them? He commented on it, of course he did, it was an interview.

Also it isn't just 'Lord Lewis' who has said this so you don't just have to take his opinion (although i dont see why you wouldn't considering he's an F1 driver who did a practice start on that side of the grid during P3), as was alluded to, others have also stated things to the effect of: starting offline is worse than starting in the wet. Nobody except 'Lord Jenson' has said 2nd is almost better than pole position, in fact, everyone has said the opposite... this needs to be solved before the race to at least some degree, because that much of a disparity between the sides of the grid could lead to a farce of a start, its also arguably dangerous to have 50% of the cars bolt out of their slots so much quicker than the others.

Last edited by FormulaFun on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:07 pm 

Any news on whether the dirty side will be cleaned before the start as Hamilton has asked?

2014: Currently 1st in everything

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:17 pm 

RaisinChips wrote:
Any news on whether the dirty side will be cleaned before the start as Hamilton has asked?

Yep, Charlie's taking a broom and a dustpan out at the moment...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:25 pm 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104359

Interesting that Button thinks there isn't much difference. His opinion certainly seems more balanced than Hamilton's in this case

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:24 pm 

Using the dark side of the force, Alonso has turned to the clean side of the grid :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:06 pm 

The dirty side is bad enough to justify Ferrari giving Massa a new gearbox to get Alonso and Massa back onto the clean side.