planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:53 pm 

A few seasons ago I really couldn't stand him, however this season he has been nothing short of sensational and has won me over as a fan. I think Vettel will win the championship, but I think this season could be remembered more for Alonso's performances much in the same way that 86 was Mansell's year.

Anyone else on the forum here been converted by Alonso's performance this season?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:59 pm 

pjv1990 wrote:
A few seasons ago I really couldn't stand him, however this season he has been nothing short of sensational and has won me over as a fan. I think Vettel will win the championship, but I think this season could be remembered more for Alonso's performances much in the same way that 86 was Mansell's year.

Anyone else on the forum here been converted by Alonso's performance this season?

No, he hasn't won me over. Right back, in 2006 when he was beating my favorite driver, I knew he was a brilliant driver. I always knew this and I also know that he's driven better than Vettel this year, purely on the basis that he hasn't made a driver error this year while Vettel has tripped up. He's been a fantastic racing driver for a good decade now, I just don't respect his personality.

I'm a Vettel fan, I know Alonso has driven better this year without any mistakes and probably deserves the title also, and I wouldn't sulk if he won it too. However, his constant potrayal that the Ferrari is slower than the RedBull and his constant love for Hamilton and envy for Vettel has left a sour taste and a child like picture of him yet again. I mean, only a child would say "We are racing Newey."

I don't think Alonso designed the 2005/06 Renault though he did take 6-8tenths to McLaren!

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:59 pm 

I was pushed further away from being an Alonso fan this year ... Ferrari in general actually.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:06 pm 

I will get my head re-examined the day I warm up to someone who is sympathetic to his team-mates needing to crash for him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:07 pm 

pjv1990 wrote:

I completely agree with you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 pm 

I'm with you too. I can't explain why honestly, but I am warming to him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:18 pm 

chinki wrote:
I will get my head re-examined the day I warm up to someone who is sympathetic to his team-mates needing to crash for him.
+1 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:36 pm 

No. I find him repulsive and offensive. As if Singapore, Spygate and Germany 2010 was not enough, he has come up with this

Massa gets a new gearbox to promote Alonso to clean side
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5163

I hope Sebastian Vettel wins the championship today in Austin.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:41 pm 

I did not like Alonso, but now I do. But it is not a one season thing, it creped up on me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:27 pm 

chinki wrote:

Oh dear.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:31 pm 

Alonso won me over long ago.

I do feel sorry for him in terms of WDCs. I don't think he'll win this one...

I do also like Hamilton and Vettel. I have my favourites, but I do believe they are the 3 best in the world at what they do at this point. I'd rather see Alonso win than Vettel but either way, a deserving champion from a great season of F1.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:22 pm 

moby wrote:
I did not like Alonso, but now I do. But it is not a one season thing, it crêped up on me

Sorry Moby, I couldn't help myself... I will be eating pancakes next weekend, that's why.

Alonso convinced me about his qualities most in the second half of 2006, when the FIA changed the rules (just as they had done in 2003) mid-season, just so Ferrari would have a chance of catching up with a runaway leading car. Alonso drove brilliantly, just as he always does.

But the man... I simply can't warm to him. Vettel may have his less sporting moments (even moments of sheer stupidity), but at least when challenged, he can't help showing signs of embarrassment. Alonso watched Schumacher too much. Perhaps they made him, to fit in better.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 pm 

Oh dear, oh dear.

I've spent much of the season wondering if the manipulative Alonso I can't abide had gone away and been replaced by an outstanding driver who deserves this year's WDC. Then we get the Massa gearbox trick and I realise I was right all along.

The problem is that I'm now stuffed for who to cheer for next weekend.

It can't be Princess Stampyfeet ("That nasty Indian chap got in my way, if only he'd been driving a Torro Rosso I'd have sailed past"). But I can't support The Prince of Darkness either. Neither of them deserve it!

I may be wrong about - Alonso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:05 pm 

gregwil wrote:
chinki wrote:
+1 :thumbup:

+2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:19 pm 

Chunky wrote:
Oh dear, oh dear.

I've spent much of the season wondering if the manipulative Alonso I can't abide had gone away and been replaced by an outstanding driver who deserves this year's WDC. Then we get the Massa gearbox trick and I realise I was right all along.

It can't be Princess Stampyfeet ("That nasty Indian chap got in my way, if only he'd been driving a Torro Rosso I'd have sailed past"). But I can't support The Prince of Darkness either. Neither of them deserve it!

I actually some what agree here. I respect both their talents but its the way it occurs.

Both drivers though have a habit of throwing a tantrum, Alonso is much older and wiser and we could see a repeat of 2010.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:20 pm 

I liked him from the start to be honest, but it's in this season that he has risen to become my favourite driver alongside Webber. He has truly cemented his place among the greats this year, and his cool and mature attitude throughout the season has been noted by many. It has translated on to the track as well, where he has been faultless in a mediocre car.

No matter whether he wins or not, 2012 will be his defining year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 pm 

When it comes to the actual racing I don't give a whit about the driver's personality or behavior off the track. I judge a driver by what he does between the time the red lights go out and the checkered flies. That's where the real drama happens, all the rest is made-up hoo haa by the press to sell stories.

I always considered Alonso a very good driver. But he has elevated his game in 2012, and in my mind, his performance in 2012 is the stuff of greatness. He has never enjoyed the quickest car, it has never stood on top in practice, qualifying, or fastest lap times. But somehow Alonso has taken advantage of almost every opportunity, and if Vettel trumps him, it won't happen until the very last race of the season.

You look at other teams and drivers, and almost always without fail the car has to be the quickest that weekend. It could be Red Bull, or McLaren, or even Maldonado in his Williams at Barcelona, the car has to be the best, or at least a very close second for the driver to win.

When THE Senna was racing, I never cared too much for the person, his bullying and antics was something that turned me away from him, even though I had the utmost respect for his driving skills and determination. It's the same with Alonso, you may detest his behavior and unibrow, but what he has done with a reluctant car is nothing short of spectacular.

Regardless of what happens in Brazil, and even if Vettel (deservedly) wins his 3rd WDC, to me Alonso is the driver of the year.

I'll even go another step forward and and state that Alonso has elevated himself from the crowd of "very good" drivers into the small and select number of drivers considered "great".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:48 pm 

Alo has won me over years ago.

Sky Sports F1 Pre race interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atzC1B2p ... ure=relmfu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:39 pm 

jimmyj wrote:

me too...I always saw him as a sort of comedy villain but I have started to respect him...

Of those that still dont like him for his character - what are the charges against him? I guess it is because he wants to be seen as a 'No 1' driver as opposed to one of two team drivers...the Nelson Piquet incident...making Massa submit...I agree those things arent great...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
When it comes to the actual racing I don't give a whit about the driver's personality or behavior off the track. I judge a driver by what he does between the time the red lights go out and the checkered flies. That's where the real drama happens, all the rest is made-up hoo haa by the press to sell stories.

I always considered Alonso a very good driver. But he has elevated his game in 2012, and in my mind, his performance in 2012 is the stuff of greatness. He has never enjoyed the quickest car, it has never stood on top in practice, qualifying, or fastest lap times. But somehow Alonso has taken advantage of almost every opportunity, and if Vettel trumps him, it won't happen until the very last race of the season.

You look at other teams and drivers, and almost always without fail the car has to be the quickest that weekend. It could be Red Bull, or McLaren, or even Maldonado in his Williams at Barcelona, the car has to be the best, or at least a very close second for the driver to win.

When THE Senna was racing, I never cared too much for the person, his bullying and antics was something that turned me away from him, even though I had the utmost respect for his driving skills and determination. It's the same with Alonso, you may detest his behavior and unibrow, but what he has done with a reluctant car is nothing short of spectacular.

Regardless of what happens in Brazil, and even if Vettel (deservedly) wins his 3rd WDC, to me Alonso is the driver of the year.

I'll even go another step forward and and state that Alonso has elevated himself from the crowd of "very good" drivers into the small and select number of drivers considered "great".

I agree with this - pretty sensible...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 pm 

SWAN wrote:
jimmyj wrote:

me too...I always saw him as a sort of comedy villain but I have started to respect him...

Of those that still dont like him for his character - what are the charges against him? I guess it is because he wants to be seen as a 'No 1' driver as opposed to one of two team drivers...the Nelson Piquet incident...making Massa submit...I agree those things arent great...

If you win you need to win on your own merits, not because your team mate moved over for you, not because your team mate crashed for you, not because your team mate took a penalty to get you a better starting position. Its a sense of entitlement that I dont like about him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:03 pm 

I hate team orders because I believe any drive should stand or fall purely on his own merits. But team orders are allowed, and in the incidents mentioned, it was a decision made by the team to placate their number one driver.

As soon as Alonso arrived at Ferrari he began to stamp his authority as the lead driver, and laid that argument to rest when he passed Massa going into the pits during the China race on 18 April, 2010.

Yes, there is some "entitlement" crap going on that I'm not pleased with either. But in every case Alonso had already established himself as the alpha male on the team making the decisions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:22 pm 

pjv1990 wrote:

He has convinced me that he is the best driver on the grid, and will go down in history as an all time great.

But as a fan? No way. No amount of talent can buy my support. For that he would have to change his attitude. I don't particularly want him to, though. I quite like having him as a kind of pantomime villain, and much like in the Schumacher years, I quite like it when my least favourite driver is also the best driver.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:26 pm 

It’s always great to see a driver do well in a car that isn’t quite up there.

I totally understand why many don’t like him for the things he’s done off the track, but he’s very clean on the track compared to other drivers with large fanbases, and that’s a bigger deal to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:31 pm 

Chunky wrote:
Oh dear, oh dear.

Why do people think Alonso asked for that???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:42 pm 

chinki wrote:

:thumbup:

I've always rated Alonso as a driver. I do not, and probably will not, like him as a person. When ever there's smoke, there's Alonso.

EDIT: fire -> smoke.. :P