planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:35 pm 

Motor racing has always been associated with the spectacle of speed, loud noise, and lastly innovation, not necessarily in that order.
With the launch of FIA's FORMULA E in 2014 do you think, without the noise, it would attract the same amount of interest amongst the regular racing fans?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm 

I think you'll notice wind noise and tyre noise a lot more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:03 pm 

They will add special sound effects to create virtual sound effects ,otherwise its just not motor racing anymore, the sound is one of the key aspects. Though won't be the same even with artificial sound.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:10 pm 

Electric cars aren't that silent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:27 pm 

If the racing is good I'm not too fussed. Especially on TV, if the commentators are in full swing the sound can get a bit lost anyway. Maybe they could play music instead, cars overtaking to the tune of Gangnam Style would be magic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 pm 

People may like it, but ultimately it's just noise. Hardly integral to what the sport is about.
If/when electric power moves ahead of internal combustion in performance terms it would be a bit silly to see the pinnacle of motorsport clinging onto an outmoded technology just because they like the sound.

Also, most people attending wear ear protection anyway :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:37 pm 

The engine sounds are what make motor racing what it is, it's one of the most vital aspects especially if your at the circuit. It's

Electric engines will just ruin it all together, won't be so bad on TV with commentators but it will still lack one of it's key aspects in the sounds even on TV.

I guess some of you have never been to a racing circuit, the sound of the engines is one of the best experiences, even on TV it would be missed by allot of motor sport fans (Most)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:02 pm 

F1Thomas wrote:
They will add special sound effects to create virtual sound effects ,otherwise its just not motor racing anymore, the sound is one of the key aspects. Though won't be the same even with artificial sound.

I'd like the sound of glass shattering when drivers shunt each other or tyres screeching under heavy breaking.

But, joking aside, there would be sound in Formula E. the last topic covering this had YouTube links that gave examples. Horrible, but tolerable after a while I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:12 pm 

I think it should be compulsory for all F1 teams to build a Formula E car. With their input and people like Adrian Newey on the case, electric car development would be sped up!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:17 pm 

According to this boneheaded logic of formula E, Redbull might as well have glider versions of their air races.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:24 pm 

It's all a false marketing campaign to go green.

Introducing night races and the general traveling has a much bigger effect on the environment then fuel engines do at race events.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:54 pm 

The official video looked and sounded like complete crap. Like some lousy student project.

Formula E is dull if it is just traditional-looking single-seaters with electric power. They need to make futuristic looking cars that will capture peoples imaginations.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:56 am 

i reckon pitstops would take around 4 hours for a complete recharge. imagine vettel's car running out of juice at the last lap. imagine his radio message and how he will again blame rocky for not telling him. except of course he's got no power to make that message! :lol:

for the sound, i guess the commentators would be louder than the cars and they would sound something like out of the jetsons!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:09 am 

F1Thomas wrote:
It's all a false marketing campaign to go green.

Introducing night races and the general traveling has a much bigger effect on the environment then fuel engines do at race events.

It will substantially develop electric technology.