planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1197
Who do you think is on dryer setups and who's on wetter setups.

My opinion. Ferrari have split the stratagy. Schumi i think is on wetter setup.

McLaren and red bull I think are on a dryer setup.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am
Posts: 1167
I'm wet mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

_________________
Multi 21 or Catch 22?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:09 am
Posts: 316
fernando denied running wet setup in post quali interview...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
I'm wet mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
AFAIK when there's a dry qualifying and then the race is wet, the FIA Technical Delegate declares a 'change in climatic conditions' and teams are allowed to make modifications to the cars anyway.

I suppose it's possible that Mercedes might have taken a gamble on a seriously wet set-up that isn't entirely covered by the changes they are allowed to make under the aforementioned circumstances. But I cannot imagine any of the frontrunners taking that chance given they could compromise qualifying for no apparent purpose if others around them are able to make changes tomorrow anyway.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 3934
kai_ wrote:
AFAIK when there's a dry qualifying and then the race is wet, the FIA Technical Delegate declares a 'change in climatic conditions' and teams are allowed to make modifications to the cars anyway.

I suppose it's possible that Mercedes might have taken a gamble on a seriously wet set-up that isn't entirely covered by the changes they are allowed to make under the aforementioned circumstances. But I cannot imagine any of the frontrunners taking that chance given they could compromise qualifying for no apparent purpose if others around them are able to make changes tomorrow anyway.


Spot on :thumbup:

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am
Posts: 1167
RickM wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
I'm wet mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Image



Man you must be inside my head... That's exactly who I was channeling lol

_________________
Multi 21 or Catch 22?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 pm
Posts: 101
All the big guns are running dry. Looking at Ferrari's top speeds in qualifying both Massa and Alonso were doing the same (309kph). I don't think Alonso is running any more downforce. I do realise there are other things they can change but i doubt Ferrari would risk Alonso missing Q3 and starting near the lunatics with spray everywhere just to run a softer anti roll bar (or whatever). They have a good car in the wet with a dry set up anyway so starting 5th would have been good. Also there absolutely no way Vettel would risk grid position.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:50 pm
Posts: 464
There's a lot of discussion about this but there's supposedly not a significant difference between the two according to many engineers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1197
r1latty wrote:
All the big guns are running dry. Looking at Ferrari's top speeds in qualifying both Massa and Alonso were doing the same (309kph). I don't think Alonso is running any more downforce. I do realise there are other things they can change but i doubt Ferrari would risk Alonso missing Q3 and starting near the lunatics with spray everywhere just to run a softer anti roll bar (or whatever). They have a good car in the wet with a dry set up anyway so starting 5th would have been good. Also there absolutely no way Vettel would risk grid position.


Didn't dc say that the locking up.was due to.the softer anti roll bar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 906
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am
Posts: 1167
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


Why do you think the difference between the two mclaren drivers?

_________________
Multi 21 or Catch 22?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:15 am
Posts: 1820
SamH_123 wrote:
There's a lot of discussion about this but there's supposedly not a significant difference between the two according to many engineers


Martin Brundle said that it is no longer anything like a few years ago whereby they changed suspension, dampers lots of stuff got changed for a wet setup

Now it is more a few tweaks than anything else


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm
Posts: 4821
Location: u.k
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


I doubt Alonso is on a very wet setup. Ferrari can't sacrifice him and risk him qualifying mid pack and him getting wiped out in the first corner.

_________________
Formula Mercedes

Forza Alonso


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 906
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


Why do you think the difference between the two mclaren drivers?


Because bigger gap between them when it was dry (With Hamilton ahead) When it was more wet Button managed to go bit quicker one session and was allot closer in qualifying.

Could be just that he found time though, but they will have slightly different setups at the least, but I could be wrong altogether.

RunningMan wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


I doubt Alonso is on a very wet setup. Ferrari can't sacrifice him and risk him qualifying mid pack and him getting wiped out in the first corner.



You'll see tomorrow. They have to go for it and take risks, so a gamble with a wet setup when high chance of rain could be their best shot to stop Vettel if he don't retire, or if he does a better chance of getting those top positions to get the title.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:52 am
Posts: 1654
Jomox wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


Why do you think the difference between the two mclaren drivers?


Because bigger gap between them when it was dry (With Hamilton ahead) When it was more wet Button managed to go bit quicker one session and was allot closer in qualifying.

Could be just that he found time though, but they will have slightly different setups at the least, but I could be wrong altogether.


So according to you Hamilton on a wet setup was quicker than JB in the dry and JB on a dry setup was quicker than Lewis in the wet.... 8O 8O 8O

I have a feeling that the part that I have underlined is where you are spot on


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am
Posts: 1167
chinki wrote:
Jomox wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


Why do you think the difference between the two mclaren drivers?


Because bigger gap between them when it was dry (With Hamilton ahead) When it was more wet Button managed to go bit quicker one session and was allot closer in qualifying.

Could be just that he found time though, but they will have slightly different setups at the least, but I could be wrong altogether.


So according to you Hamilton on a wet setup was quicker than JB in the dry and JB on a dry setup was quicker than Lewis in the wet.... 8O 8O 8O

I have a feeling that the part that I have underlined is where you are spot on



I've called the met office to find out of hell has actually frozen over because I'm in total agreement with Chinki and liking him more and more lol

_________________
Multi 21 or Catch 22?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 906
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
chinki wrote:
Jomox wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


Why do you think the difference between the two mclaren drivers?


Because bigger gap between them when it was dry (With Hamilton ahead) When it was more wet Button managed to go bit quicker one session and was allot closer in qualifying.

Could be just that he found time though, but they will have slightly different setups at the least, but I could be wrong altogether.


So according to you Hamilton on a wet setup was quicker than JB in the dry and JB on a dry setup was quicker than Lewis in the wet.... 8O 8O 8O

I have a feeling that the part that I have underlined is where you are spot on



I've called the met office to find out of hell has actually frozen over because I'm in total agreement with Chinki and liking him more and more lol


I said it the wrong way round it seems :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 26
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


Hamilton was running more downforce yesterday than Button. Talking about it on Sky. Changed Jenson's set up today to match Lewis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:30 am
Posts: 161
kai_ wrote:
AFAIK when there's a dry qualifying and then the race is wet, the FIA Technical Delegate declares a 'change in climatic conditions' and teams are allowed to make modifications to the cars anyway.

I suppose it's possible that Mercedes might have taken a gamble on a seriously wet set-up that isn't entirely covered by the changes they are allowed to make under the aforementioned circumstances. But I cannot imagine any of the frontrunners taking that chance given they could compromise qualifying for no apparent purpose if others around them are able to make changes tomorrow anyway.


I don't believe any of them start with enough enough down force with the exception of RBR, they can afford to lose down force and get the tyres to work in the wet. I don't see the logic in taking a line where you remove all the opposition and still leave your direct opposition directly behind at best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1197
I do see where jomox is coming from. Lewis is running a gurney flap. which I take as a way to add downforce why keeping the same wing angles as what jenson.is running. (without the gurney) which is my interpertation of it. Unless someone can.correct me. Xxx

And Kao. I believe Schumacher has said he is fully wet for tomorrows race.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 1043
Location: Ohio
It is all over rated... there is no "wet and dry" anymore... Whitmarsh said as much today

they were all gunning for their best


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
RunningMan wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


I doubt Alonso is on a very wet setup. Ferrari can't sacrifice him and risk him qualifying mid pack and him getting wiped out in the first corner.


Of course they can. they can risk anything. They are behind, they need an advantage over Vettel tomorrow. No point in playing safe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
beanchimp wrote:
SamH_123 wrote:
There's a lot of discussion about this but there's supposedly not a significant difference between the two according to many engineers


Martin Brundle said that it is no longer anything like a few years ago whereby they changed suspension, dampers lots of stuff got changed for a wet setup

Now it is more a few tweaks than anything else


That's interesting, are you sure? Seems crazy to me from my virtual reality experience.

Still, doesn't matter if it's just "a few tweaks" if the mechanics are unable to change any of them. Are they allowed to?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1197
I do see where jomox is coming from. Lewis is running a gurney flap. which I take as a way to add downforce why keeping the same wing angles as what jenson.is running. (without the gurney) which is my interpertation of it. Unless someone can.correct me. Xxx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 3476
Purely out of my head, but I dont see it likely Alonso would beat Vettel in a straight fight in the dry, so if it was me I would lean to the wet side, which would at least make it more likely I would stay on the track and finish if we were both pushing. If Vettel has a big off, Alonso only has to finish near the top to win. If Vettel runs off down the road as he normally does, it does not matter where Alonso finishes or r how slow he is.

_________________
I have nothing to offer but blood, oil, gears, and sweat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
wire2004 wrote:
I do see where jomox is coming from. Lewis is running a gurney flap. which I take as a way to add downforce why keeping the same wing angles as what jenson.is running. (without the gurney) which is my interpertation of it. Unless someone can.correct me. Xxx



I didn't see all of FP3 but one bit I did see they were putting Gurney flaps onto JBs car.

From what I seen and heard the two of them are out on identical wing set ups.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Last edited by Johnston on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:59 pm
Posts: 198
Mclaren have amazing downforce and are super quick in sector 2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 1043
Location: Ohio
Eva09 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Hamilton more wet, Button more dry.

Hulk more wet, Di Resta more dry.

Alonso very Wet.


I doubt Alonso is on a very wet setup. Ferrari can't sacrifice him and risk him qualifying mid pack and him getting wiped out in the first corner.


Of course they can. they can risk anything. They are behind, they need an advantage over Vettel tomorrow. No point in playing safe.



he was slow today, Massa has found form was he on a wet set up in Austin too when Massa crushed him? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: whos dry. whos wet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:15 am
Posts: 1820
Eva09 wrote:
beanchimp wrote:
SamH_123 wrote:
There's a lot of discussion about this but there's supposedly not a significant difference between the two according to many engineers


Martin Brundle said that it is no longer anything like a few years ago whereby they changed suspension, dampers lots of stuff got changed for a wet setup

Now it is more a few tweaks than anything else


That's interesting, are you sure? Seems crazy to me from my virtual reality experience.

Still, doesn't matter if it's just "a few tweaks" if the mechanics are unable to change any of them. Are they allowed to?



No I'm only going off what Martin Brundle said on Sky regarding wet and dry setups

When he raced the difference between wet and dry was massive. he said that todays car don't really differ that much

That said they still can't change anything unless starting from the pit lane, now if it is heavy rain it will be under safety car start, so the best bet would be to start from the pit lane with a full change in setup and gearbox, than start from the back of the grid etc


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Black_Flag_11, Covalent, etchedchaos, Herb, LKS1, Lojik, TBWG and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group