planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC

should alonso leave ferrari for rbr seat in 2014?
yes 18%  18%  [ 21 ]
no 82%  82%  [ 95 ]
Total votes : 116
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:26 am 

Of course they all want to win, but for some that's not what its all about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:07 am 

AngreetRoll wrote:
Gaz wrote:
Blake wrote:
"Fernando demands that a team be 100% focused on him and him alone"

baloney.... this stuff just keeps popping up around here. over and over again...

Have you got any evidence that suggests otherwise?

Have you got any evidence to support the original statement? The burden of proof should be on the the first person who asserts he demands the focus, not on anyone else to prove he didn't say it.

I guess exhibit A would be the 2007 season and how it ended (Fernando leaving), but there's much more than that. Compare how much better Grosjean has looked when partnered to Kimi to the absolutely hopeless situation when he was in +Fernando's+ Renault team. ditto for Massa. It's kind of pointless to explain any of this because if you haven't noticed it then that must be because you don't want to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:21 am 

az1,

Do you have a clue as to what all went on in 2007? I seriously doubt it. And your Kimi & Massa analogy is somewhat meaningless as well. The simple truth is that Kimi & Massa were quite similar in performance when they were partnered together. Massa has been outperformed by Alonso, probably a combination of Alonso being the superior driver and Massa not having been up to his 2008 form until the last few races.

All that said, you made the asinine claim that:
Quote:
"Fernando demands that a team be 100% focused on him and him alone"

You made the post, you provide the proof. I wish to know where you found out about these 100% demands by Alonso. And that the team be focused on him alone??? Sound more like uninformed bias overruling fact and common sense to me.
;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:40 am 

Massa's confidence has been crushed ever since Alonso has arrived with Santander and Botin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:14 am 

Blake wrote:
You made the post, you provide the proof. I wish to know where you found out about these 100% demands by Alonso. And that the team be focused on him alone??? Sound more like uninformed bias overruling fact and common sense to me.

Is the existing proof not enough? Alonso reputation around the paddock preceeds him. Do you think Martin Whitmarsh is making comments about Alonso just for kicks? The man worked with Alonso, I'll take Whitmarsh's word on Alonso demanding preferential treatment. What Whitmarsh said coupled with what has happened at EVERY team Alonso has been a part of is proof enough. Do you chalk it all up to coincidence?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:14 am 

az1 wrote:
While Fernando is undoubtedly an amazing driver, I do not believe RBR would want him. Fernando demands that a team be 100% focused on him and him alone. I do not believe that RBR would want to do that. McLaren tried to make it work with Alonso, but it was a disaster. For this reason, I am sure he will finish his career at Ferrari.

Detrich himself said that if Vettel leaves RBR they may look at Lewis or Alonso. Although I dont see Vettel leaving the team so soon and for no reason, there is a clear No 1 in the RBR team like Ferrari. At the end of the day its all about winning. If Ferrari are not able to sort out the car next year Alonso himself may look at his options. Lewis has possibly tried his luck at RBR and may be Ferrari before settling for Merc. But till Vettel is there I dont think anyone else would be considered. Why would they want to disturb the equilibrium of the team with 2 CHAMPIONS?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 am 

No, Alonso has to be the prince of the Evil Empire, otherwise it's way less fun...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
I think if Fernando can't win another championship with Ferrari he will retire. Based solely on his statements and demeanor, I think Fernando sees the only remaining challenge for him as winning WITH Ferrari. He wants to get the job done. Sometimes I wonder if he even enjoys racing anymore, or just enjoys the fight.

Drivers can talk out of their hind quarters all they want. When it comes down to it, if a driver still has the drive and desire to continue racing they will do so in whatever capacity so long as it's not a joke situation like going to one of the obviously lesser teams at the back of the grid who struggle to come up with minimum budgets to just squeak by for the year and have no chance of contention in the development race throughout the season. And even then there are opportunities that look like a sure bet like Michael with Mercedes coming to a team that had just won both championships! The Championship team with one of the biggest budgets now owned by a major manufacturer committed to continue winning, and 3 years later they've had less than 5 fantastic showings, only one of which was a win and with Michael's penalty he lost out on what might very well have been their 2nd victory. I don't think any driver, including Alonso, would pass up an opportunity that looks so promising if they were stuck in a miserably helpless situation or found themselves out of a seat. In the end Money talks and the desire to compete usually trumps all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:30 pm 

The real question is will Ferrari fire Alonso like that did with Schumacher and Kimi. I wouldn't put it past them, but he has at least two more tries (2013 and 2014).

Then Ferarri probably will want Vettel but I'm not sure he would want them. I believe that there was some kind of agreement betwen him and Ferarri but it was supposed to be confidential. Ferarri leaked the information in an attempt to destablize Vettel and to sour his relationship with RB.

Anyway, now there are rumors that Vettel, Newey and Horner will soon sign to 2016 with RB (with Vettel making more money than any other F1 driver), so I really don't know what Ferrari will be able to offer Vettel to lure him to them. He probably will sign with McLaren before considering Ferarri.