planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Off the 18 drivers currently signed up for next season...

Only half were on the grid when Button won WDC in 2009.

8O

Wow! That is seriously crazy to think about! The new generation does seem to be pretty quick. Let's hope they iron out their inconsistencies though!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:58 pm 

mds wrote:
Not according to wikipedia... Alonso 197 starts from 198 races, Webber 196 starts from 198 races.

The order I posted is taken from the number wikipedia mentions.

Yep, sorry my bad. For some reason I was thinking they both debuted in the same year but actually Alonso was a year earlier.

Webber missed the 2002 Spanish GP due to safety concerns over Minardi's front wing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 am 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Which makes me wonder, what would be the age that fans start considering whether the drivers are too old for it or not? with age it is assumed that the drivers lose a bit of speed, mental ability and reflexes.

In football that is 33, at that age it is normally questionable whether the player is still up for it or not and normally change their playing style to suite their abilities (like Giggs and Scholes at Man Utd).

so what is it for F1? Mark is 36, Kimi 33, Jenson nearly 33 as well, Alonso 31 and Massa 31.

How long should they have left at the top end of Motorsport?

hmm not sure, probably depends on their conditioning over a long period of time, but the car is the biggest factor. You could potentially have a driver who reactions are already slower than his competitors around him but the car is a clear .5 seconds ahead of all others so he qualifies on the front row and then drives off into the distance. Its only in the moments of close qualifying/ overtaking when the cars are similar in pace that the tiny differences in reaction speed could make a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:52 am 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
GOD! he didn't even have facial hair back then!

I turn 49 next week and still couldn't grow a full beard of I wanted to.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:03 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
GOD! he didn't even have facial hair back then!

I turn 49 next week and still couldn't grow a full beard of I wanted to.

Don't fret - I've been trying since I was five...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:43 am 

There is also no driver on the grid now who raced Senna

Follow Me - www.facebook.com/shivrajgohilphotos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:22 am 

Remember all of that talk about Kimi maybe not being able to get a super licence for 2001?

No he'll be the second oldest driver on the grid.

Article on Button just before his F1 debut: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,235485,00.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:54 am 

I too remember when Williams had a sort of race off between Button and another driver to determine who would get the second Williams seat (can't remember who the other driver was), and was pleased it was him that got the seat....I think it was because I liked the name of Jenson coming into F1...strange :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:13 am 

shivyf1 wrote:
There is also no driver on the grid now who raced Senna

That's not really a staggering fact - the guy died 18 years ago.

But on another note, every driver on the 2012 grid can claim to have raced Senna.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:28 am 

Wit Schum and Pedro gone there is no more driver who raced in the nineties.
Looking at the amount of GP's of the current grid and those still making chance this is the top 10

Button (32) 228 GP
Alonso (31) 197 GP
Webber (36) 196 GP
Raikkonen (33) 176 GP
Massa (31) 172 GP
Rosberg (27) 128 GP
Hamilton (27) 110 GP
Kovalainen (31) 109 GP
Vettel (25) 101 GP
Glock (30) 91 GP

Notice the gap between Massa and Rosberg (44 gp's!).
With Schum gone Vettel is the man now with most WDC's on the grid, that is shocking considering his age and the amount of races he drove.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:05 am 

BillyBoy200uk wrote:
I too remember when Williams had a sort of race off between Button and another driver to determine who would get the second Williams seat (can't remember who the other driver was), and was pleased it was him that got the seat....I think it was because I liked the name of Jenson coming into F1...strange :-)

Bruno Junqueira if my memory serves me correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 am 

I was only young but i remember the senna prost days in my formative spectating years and Schumacher entering, it always seemed strange Rubens being most experienced because he was always in the background as such as Schumacher was the figure head of Ferrari, seeing jenson now as the same thing doesn't seem that strange but the gulf of people with 5+ years experience is a bit scary for the sport because of the new guys not many in my view stand out as potential WDC's. But i guess we had it before in the early 2000's so the next superstar will be just round the corner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:10 pm 

Oh my gosh, that's a wake up call. I still consider Rosberg just a pup, Vettel a newbie and Kovi a relative newcomer. I'm still mentally in the era of Trulli, Fisi et al.

Nice that the Rosberg and Senna names are still around. I kind of hope Rosberg gets a top drive - at least enough to challenge for Wdc, just cos I think that would be fun (still the only WDC son of a WDC to date is Damon Hill)

I am enjoying seeing some of the new guys though - I think Hulkenberg and possibly Perez this year will turn into long term drivers, assuming Perez doesn't wind up disappointing like Kovi at McLaren. Hamilton and Kubica then Vettel in 07 and 08 were I think the last real injections of top level talent, and at a pinch, maaaaybe Rosberg in 06 before that, then it's all the way back to 2001 for Kimi, Alonso and JPM.

So genuinely top level drivers do not come along all that often. But we're due for a new batch!

Tous Avec Jules #17

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:40 pm 

Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Button the most experienced driver on the grid... now that makes me feel old, and I'm only 25!!! I still remember him coming in and thinking "playboy sh*tebag..." and writing off any hope of him winning a world title, only to eat my words haha. Looks like he's got a good amount of years left in him as well, for some reason i can see him getting up towards Rubens' race starts record. Keep it up Jense!

I remember thinking WTF are williams playing at taking on someone with such little experience. They're a big team they don't take on total rookies.

Then during the whole playboy era, contract disputes and when his then bird was on Fame academy. What a nincompooper.

Tongue in cheek?

Rookies - Hill, Villeneuve
Big Team - They had slid from 1st to 4th in the constructors race. IMO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:48 pm 

sic98 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Button the most experienced driver on the grid... now that makes me feel old, and I'm only 25!!! I still remember him coming in and thinking "playboy sh*tebag..." and writing off any hope of him winning a world title, only to eat my words haha. Looks like he's got a good amount of years left in him as well, for some reason i can see him getting up towards Rubens' race starts record. Keep it up Jense!

I remember thinking WTF are williams playing at taking on someone with such little experience. They're a big team they don't take on total rookies.

Then during the whole playboy era, contract disputes and when his then bird was on Fame academy. What a nincompooper.

Tongue in cheek?

Also Montoya. Zanardi was virtually a rookie and Coulthard was in 1994 as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:07 pm 

sic98 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Tongue in cheek?

They took on Hill whilst they had Prost and he had more miles in the car than probably anyone plus had already raced in F1 ;) , JV was Cart champion. As Was JPM and AZ. I don't think you could call CART champions back then Rookies.

Oh and DC was a bit of a special case due to circumstance.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:37 am 

Johnston wrote:
sic98 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Tongue in cheek?

They took on Hill whilst they had Prost and he had more miles in the car than probably anyone plus had already raced in F1 ;) , JV was Cart champion. As Was JPM and AZ. I don't think you could call CART champions back then Rookies.

Oh and DC was a bit of a special case due to circumstance.

Ok. Maybe the common thread was that the may all have been cheap.