planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:55 pm 

all the eyes will be on alonso/vettel, button/hamilton/rosberg/kimi maybe for the wdc. but what about sergio? me thinks if mclaren produce a good car sergio at first will be consistent in points finishes at the start of the season. mid-season he will win his first race and from there he will be fighting for the wdc. i know he was getting into alot of accidents towards the end of the season but they can be ironed out. also his pace was still good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 pm 

diablof1 wrote:
all the eyes will be on alonso/vettel, button/hamilton/rosberg/kimi maybe for the wdc. but what about sergio? me thinks if mclaren produce a good car sergio at first will be consistent in points finishes at the start of the season. mid-season he will win his first race and from there he will be fighting for the wdc. i know he was getting into alot of accidents towards the end of the season but they can be ironed out. also his pace was still good.

I think it's pretty obviously down to Alonso, Button, Vettel for the WDC. I don't believe Perez and Button are going to be that close in performance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:01 pm 

It's rare for a driver to jump into a front-running car and be fighting for the title straight away - especially when they've got as little success and experience as Sergio. Before looking at titles, he's got to focus on beating Button. Jenson's no slouch and held his own against Lewis. All this talk and he might not show much, let's not forget.

Heikki looked pretty fast in 2007.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:51 pm 

I'm going to assume he will get more podiums than he did this year in 2013... but not many.

I just think he is overrated, consistent though. Should be a great #2 to Button.

You never know though, he may surprise.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:56 pm 

Button has more of a chance next year because Perez will play number 2, unless by some miracle his prodgical pace shows up and he humiliates Jenson in the first few races. Depending on car performance the championship will be between Vettel, Webber, Alonso, Kimi and Jenson. I put Webber in there because they're again changing the rules on exhaust placement, we saw when Red Bull didn't have that earlier in the season Webber got the upper hand.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:51 pm 

I think he'll have the measure of Button on outright speed, though Button should finish ahead in the championship given he's now the most experienced driver in F1.
I'd like to see Perez become Mexico's first ever F1 champion, and I think he can challenge for the title in 2013 with a fast Mclaren.

Favourite Drivers
Nico Hulkenberg
Adrian Sutil
Sergio Perez
Daniel Ricciardo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:01 pm 

If McLaren produce a great car I can see Perez fighting for wins but over the course of the season I expect Button to beat him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:06 pm 

Would like to see him giving Button a though time

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:20 pm 

I predict he will struggle to get half of Button's points.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:45 pm 

As a Sauber fan, it's been quite frustrating watching Sergio this year. He drove brilliantly at Monza, and could have snatched an unlikely win at Sepang, but overall he seemed too inconsistent. That might be down to the team itself, which far too often seems to rely on doing some different with its strategy. When it works it's brilliant, but too often it seemed to leave the drivers with too much to do to make it work, which meant the car would seemingly throw it in the wall.

Certainly he has potential, but I suspect he's more likely to go the way of Heikki and be solid, but never really good enough in a fast car to worry the big boys race after race.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 pm 

I wouldn't bet against him.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:52 pm 

I used to think he had what it takes.

Right up until Mclaren signed him

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:29 pm 

He has to be a dark horse for the title simply because McLaren are favourites to have the best car. Doesn't mean he's likely to win it though, but it's certainly a possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:56 am 

Toby. wrote:
It's rare for a driver to jump into a front-running car and be fighting for the title straight away - especially when they've got as little success and experience as Sergio. Before looking at titles, he's got to focus on beating Button. Jenson's no slouch and held his own against Lewis. All this talk and he might not show much, let's not forget.

Expect Sergio to get into a few spins/crashes in the beginning of the season, then a few podiums here and there, then a settling-down period as McLaren lecture him to be more careful in the second half of the season.

Last edited by aryaputhra on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:10 am 

Covalent wrote:

That is about the ratio I expect. I wonder what McLaren have set as their target for a good year from Sergio.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 am 

No, not even close. At best he might win a couple of races but that's pushing it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:55 am 

He will be up there when driving one of the probable better cars. Less hazzle, crashes when driving up front.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 am 

I hope that Perez proves quick enough not to threaten McLaren's strategy for replacing Vodafone when the current deal expires at the end of next season...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Fat Albert wrote:
I hope that Perez proves quick enough not to threaten McLaren's strategy for replacing Vodafone when the current deal expires at the end of next season...

:lol:

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:16 pm 

IMO Perez is overrated driver. He is too hot headed, inconsistent and most of all, dependable of perfect tire strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:03 pm 

To be honest we can all discuss and debate how well we think he will do. But of course we never know what is going to happen until Australia next year. In my opinion, I think he has a good chance...as long as Mclaren provide a fast enough car, but even if they do, I'd expect Jenson to beat Sergio at the end of the year.

Perez
Vettel

Teams I like:
Lotus
Merc
RBR
Marussia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:10 pm 

Its hard to say anything before having a look at the competitiveness of the cars. Perez will be driving a McLaren, so I don't think you can call him a dark horse. McLaren was as fast as Red Bull in 2012 and there's no reason why they can't be again in 2013. I expect Button to beat Perez though. But if Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari turn out to be very closely matched then I wouldn't expect either McLaren driver to keep up with Vettel and Alonso for very long, owing to their woes in qualifying. Now that Hamilton is gone, if McLaren wants to win a title they must produce a rocket ship, simple as that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:12 pm 

Covalent wrote:

He got half of Button points last season... in a Sauber!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm 

Deep_blue wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Yeah. Although I expect Button to come out on top I don't expect him to do so well that Perez can't even get half his points. Button himself isn't consistent enough to pull out a gap like that. I'd expect Perez to score about 80% of Button's points.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:35 pm 

Well, a lot of people expected a few crashes and spins in his first races in his first year, and in Australia he made it to the points, DSQ later, but it was due to the car.

I have to admit that now on, he will be fighting with the most talented drivers, so it will be a challenge, and you can expect a contact with someone else, but not as common as RoGro or Maldonado.

So i expect he can be up there, i think his "weakness" will be the qualy session, but he has a very good race pace.

He haves what it takes, and will be up there starting in Australia.

Anyway, if he does well, expect a lot of people from here claiming that his performance is coming from a car that Hamilton developed...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm 

Deep_blue wrote:
Covalent wrote:

More like one third of Button's points. In any case i don't think it works that way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:41 pm 

Deep_blue wrote:
Covalent wrote:

1) No he didn't
2) New car, new team, very little testing means he'll struggle to extract the most of the car compared to last season when he already had a full year behind in the team.

So while I think he'll get closer to Button, he'll still only get about half of the points. Of course I could be very, very wrong but that's my feeling right now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:35 pm 

Toby. wrote:

I don't think its rare at all. All won a race almost immediately as soon as they got a good car

2007 - Hamilton
2009 - Vettel
2003 - Alonso

Good drivers are up to speed immediately. If Perez is a good driver he will be on Buttons pace or slightly slower straight away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:03 pm 

Depends on the team,, who they back and how much

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 pm 

He's more like the great unknown. After 4 races we will know if he's hit or miss.

Certainly he has a lot of work to do by himself, but also by his new team. What's helping is there are almost no expectations, as was the case with Hamilton in 2007. Teammate is leader of the team (then Alonso, now Button), pressure of driving for such team exists, but there are no expectations. He has to use it and deliver ASAP, otherwise it will be uphill struggle.