planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:04 pm 

I'm sure, in fact i basically know, this has been covered but i can't find the relevant details

I believe the stepped noses wil not be present next year

I have heard somewhere the teams will be allowed to use a cover (?) to go over the ridge / dip

I don't know anymore than that

Could someone please clarify the expectations and goings on for next year?

Details on other technical changes also welcome!

Thanks !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:19 pm 

ok, after just a little digging (shame on me) i have found what i think is a succinct yet reasonably detailed explanation for the nose

here http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 13848.html

"The stepped noses seen on most of this season’s Formula One cars - and deemed ugly by many - are very likely to disappear next year, thanks to a change in the FIA’s technical regulations allowing teams to cover them with special fairings.

The revised rules, just published by Formula One racing’s governing body, give details of the ‘modesty panels,’ which can be used to smooth the transition between the low nose and the high chassis. The fairings will not affect the car’s impact-protection properties and teams will not be able to modify them to gain an aerodynamic advantage.

Article 3.7.9 of the 2013 technical regulations refers to the new panels as “an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate (whose precise lay-up may be found in the Appendix to the regulations) which may not be more than 625mm above the reference plane at any point.”

:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:25 pm 

i heard that as well to make them prettier ! not to know the details thou.
But what i been thinking is, Mclaren went a different route and had a lower top of chassis so they didn't have the step, and that was a pretty that turned out to be a fast one as well !

So do you think other teams will go that route next year ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:34 pm 

I actually like those stepped noses, firstly I didn't like them but now they're a curious feature.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:47 pm 

A2jdl wrote:
But what i been thinking is, Mclaren went a different route and had a lower top of chassis so they didn't have the step, and that was a pretty that turned out to be a fast one as well !

Nobody who had a decent car in 2012 will go that route. With little change in the rules for next season it wouldn't make any sense doing the "from the ground up" redesign that would be required to make that happen.

2014 maybe, but since they've scrapped the aero changes for then as well I don't see it happening anytime soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:51 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
A2jdl wrote:

Nobody who had a decent car in 2012 will go that route. With little change in the rules for next season it wouldn't make any sense doing the "from the ground up" redesign that would be required to make that happen.

2014 maybe, but since they've scrapped the aero changes for then as well I don't see it happening anytime soon.

So Ferrari might to that then :)
yeah good point, and i guess with the cover piece they will be prettier as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:33 pm 

They will just cover it or hide it next year
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102883
Paddy Lowe
"We have agreed a rule that allows a 'modesty panel', which in effect means you can take the existing cars and exiting structures that have a step and put a cover there, The way it is managed is that the laminate and size of that panel is limited so that you cannot create an aero [advantage] out of it and also so that it plays no part in the forward impact."

I'll admit though, the stepped-nosed F2012 really grew on me
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/conten ... 2-0326.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:31 pm 

Why would the teams use the optional modesty panels if they convey no aerodynamic advantage but still raise the centre of gravity?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:15 pm 

davidb23 wrote:
Why would the teams use the optional modesty panels if they convey no aerodynamic advantage but still raise the centre of gravity?

The panels will weigh next to nothing so there will be no effect on the CG of the car. The only reason for them is to keep people from complaining about how ugly the stepped nose is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:31 pm 

Newey would surely make use of that " cover "

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 pm 

metamorphomisk wrote:
Newey would surely make use of that " cover "

From the sounds of it, it's optional. Maybe they will keep it as it is to get air into that little slot. Clearly it's there for a reason (and not to cool the driver as RB would have you believe).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:00 pm 

I'm looking forward to a return to low noses in 2014. For me I think this year's stepped noses were only aesthetically pleasing on certain cars. The Lotus was far more appealing than the Ferrari, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:08 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
I'm looking forward to a return to low noses in 2014. For me I think this year's stepped noses were only aesthetically pleasing on certain cars. The Lotus was far more appealing than the Ferrari, for example.

Couple of weeks ago they scrapped the 2014 aero rules, and left the 2009 rules in place so no low noses for that season unless designers find an advantage to it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 am 

The 2009 Ferrari was so damn pretty :) for me a throw back to the late 80's/ early 90's, the low swooping noses were just sexual :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:09 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:

Couple of weeks ago they scrapped the 2014 aero rules, and left the 2009 rules in place so no low noses for that season unless designers find an advantage to it.

That is disappointing if it is the case.

Is this article out of date? The article states that, although many of the aero changes for 2014 were scrapped, the low noses will stay. I've been pretty slack with keeping up with F1 news recently though...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20640255

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:22 am 

I've read the same in a few places, that the basic regs are the same but things like the low noses that were for safety are staying as planned.

Whether one person has reported something wrong and the others have jumped on the wagon or other have heard that the rules are remaining unchanged and not noticed the rest I dunno.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:44 pm 

Here are the amended 2014 Technical Regulations, published on 11 December 2012 following the WMSC meeting in Istanbul on 5 December: http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulation/file/2014-F1-TECHNICAL-REGULATIONS-111212.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:44 pm 

This link to Scarbs should explain more... http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/10/01/20 ... n-changes/

Obviously the regs have changed but the nose cone cover is explained and the nose height regs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:02 pm 

Hedge wrote:
This link to Scarbs should explain more... http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/10/01/20 ... n-changes/

Obviously the regs have changed but the nose cone cover is explained and the nose height regs

Ahh, Scarbs. Why didn't I think of invoking the Scarbs... always essential in these scenarios!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:46 am 

dabi wrote:
The 2009 Ferrari was so damn pretty :) for me a throw back to the late 80's/ early 90's, the low swooping noses were just sexual :)

I also loved the F60, also loved the sabre toothed Williams of 2004 which everyone else hated too...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:16 pm 

hittheapex wrote:
dabi wrote:

I also loved the F60, also loved the sabre toothed Williams of 2004 which everyone else hated too...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Walrus nose you mean? Same thing either way, but heard Walrus quoted much more.

Anyway, that's assuming all teams will keep their aero package from 2012. Why would they? All designers look to exploit loopholes and gain an advantage. If Infiniti Red Bull Racing, Scuderia Ferrari or McLaren see an advantage to changing their nose, they will. In a recent interview with Sky, Whitmarsh said something along the lines that while the car will be very similar, 95% of the parts will be different.