planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:40 pm 

So, with Bernie pretty much confirming yesterday that Turkey won't happen - it will be 19 races.

BBC are the big losers, gambled on this happening - meaning less than 50 per cent of the races live next season with them.

#justpressone - Don't think so anymore!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:48 pm 

It's probably all an elaborate plan by the Beeb to gradually reduce their coverage by one live race by season ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:53 pm 

I heard they were covering all races live again next year - I must have been dreaming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:04 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
I heard they were covering all races live again next year - I must have been dreaming!

You were!

As long as Sky have the rights, BBC can only show a maximum of half the races. If there is no half (like in 2013) it has to drop to below half.

Basically the very earliest you will ever see the BBC showing an entire season live will be after 2018.

Even then its highly unlikely. By then we'll be using future tech due out within the next year or two and will have no use for 'channels' and instead will stream everything on demand right from the track. (I can dream right? :P)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:15 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:

That was a rumour based on what Jake Humphrey said after Brazil.

Didn't hear it myself but it was something like "Watch all the races on the BBC" . Chinese whispers started, the rumour kicked in and suddenly a load of folk were claiming the Beeb had every race live.

So you will be glad to know you weren't dreaming :lol: :lol:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:23 pm 

Given the BBC contract is for 10 races surely they'll be allowed to pick up another race instead?

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:36 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Given the BBC contract is for 10 races surely they'll be allowed to pick up another race instead?

I suppose it depends on the contract. It's not Skys fault they picked a race that is now cancelled. Say a weekend got cancelled short notice like Bahrain a few years ago do you think SKY would let them just pick up a replacement?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:00 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Why is F1 even on Sky? Surely they will make the most money in the long run if they are watched by the most viewers, is my limited understanding.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:12 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Why is F1 even on Sky? Surely they will make the most money in the long run if they are watched by the most viewers, is my limited understanding.

It's all about money and deals we'll never know about.

I dont care though. Sky's coverage has been fantastic.

Even in the off season, they have done a 30 minute show on each team, and keep running every race weekend over and over, along with interviews with current and past drivers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:58 pm 

I wonder if any groups (media groups/FOTA etc) are actually big enough, or have big enough balls, to say to Bernie that if they are due to have 20 races and 1 is cancelled (either early on like NJ or short notice like Bahrain '11) that it is up to FOM to provide another race?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm 

minchy wrote:
I wonder if any groups (media groups/FOTA etc) are actually big enough, or have big enough balls, to say to Bernie that if they are due to have 20 races and 1 is cancelled (either early on like NJ or short notice like Bahrain '11) that it is up to FOM to provide another race?

I don't think the teams would allow it through. They are saying 20 was right on the limit of their current man power as it was so I don't think they would argue too much against dropping one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm 

RickM wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Even in the off season, they have done a 30 minute show on each team, and keep running every race weekend over and over, along with interviews with current and past drivers.

They have been generally fantastic.

As far as the deal, you could have every person in the country watching it on two TVs each on the BBC, the deal remains the same until renogotiation. If FOM felt the BBC were getting more than the contract was worth, they'd up the price. As it is, the BBC couldn't afford to pay what they currently were. Rather than see Channel 4 pick it up, they decided to carve it up with Sky. The combined deal is worth a fair bit more than the BBC alone too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:14 pm 

HappyDude88 wrote:
So, with Bernie pretty much confirming yesterday that Turkey won't happen - it will be 19 races.

BBC are the big losers, gambled on this happening - meaning less than 50 per cent of the races live next season with them.

#justpressfourzeroeight- Don't think so anymore!

Fixed that for you then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:12 pm 

It's on 516 on VM :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:17 pm 

RickM wrote:

Vijay Malia has his own TV feed? Never mind that, he needs to pick his drivers.

Joking, sorry for forgetting Virgin Media customers. Hopefully you'll get HD at no extra cost too in 2013. I'm a standard def subscriber to Sky anyway at the moment, but it's typical of them to supply an inferior service to third party subscribers, at least to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:38 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if the contract actually stipulated that Sky get 10 exclusive races, and the BBC get whatever's left. That way, if a race gets cancelled Sky still have 10. It seems to me that Sky are the ones that are probably calling the shots here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
RickM wrote:

Vijay Malia has his own TV feed? Never mind that, he needs to pick his drivers.

Joking, sorry for forgetting Virgin Media customers. Hopefully you'll get HD at no extra cost too in 2013. I'm a standard def subscriber to Sky anyway at the moment, but it's typical of them to supply an inferior service to third party subscribers, at least to begin with.

Yeah hopefully we'll get it. No big deal if we dont though. The Tivo boxes they use now have pretty good upscaling. We've got an older VHD box in another room and you can really tell the difference between the two!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 pm 

I watched most of this season live on Sky, and then watched the BBC live coverage afterward for the ones they did. Now in the off season while re-watching all of the races (I put them on at bed time) I realize how much I love the BBC. I find myself skipping the rounds where I only have the Sky broadcast saved. In the beginning of the year I didn't like Sky at all, by the end I thought they were okay, and now I'm back to really disliking them. I'll really miss Jake :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if the contract actually stipulated that Sky get 10 exclusive races, and the BBC get whatever's left. That way, if a race gets cancelled Sky still have 10. It seems to me that Sky are the ones that are probably calling the shots here.

I would imagine that is the case... Sky will be the main rights holder so the deal will be weighted in their favour.
The BBC had the chance to choose the races they wanted, they chose an unconfirmed one, their loss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

The deal is if there is an even number of races in a year then it's 50% exclusive on Sky, 50% shared.

If there's an odd number of races then Sky get one more race exclusively live than what the BBC show live so 19 races in a year = 9 on BBC live. 15 races in a year = 7 live on BBC etc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:21 pm 

The BBC did not choose Turkey.

The way it works is that the BBC get first pick on THREE races they want to see live. Last year it was Monaco, Britain and the last race (Brazil) - this year they chose Canada, Britain and the last race (Brazil again),

Sky then get to pick three races they want exclusively live (I don't think it was disclosed, but I think that last year they chose the first race (Australia), Canada and the last race before the summer break.

The remaining races then alternate with Sky not being allowed more than 2 exclusives in a row.

As a result, the BBC should be given one more live race as a result of this race being cancelled as it was not one they picked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:19 am 

RickM wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

i wasn't sure to start but have been very impressed as the season wore on. And love all the re caps and season review. Gives me my f1 fix in the off season

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 am 

Any chance they can go to France on short notice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:22 am 

RickM wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

You were!

As long as Sky have the rights, BBC can only show a maximum of half the races. If there is no half (like in 2013) it has to drop to below half.

Basically the very earliest you will ever see the BBC showing an entire season live will be after 2018.

Even then its highly unlikely. By then we'll be using future tech due out within the next year or two and will have no use for 'channels' and instead will stream everything on demand right from the track. (I can dream right? :P)

or move outside UK...it's funny how we in Canada get to watch races on TSN via BBC live while those in UK actually don't. :-P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 am 

Any chance they can go to France on short notice.

Not willing to pay what Bernie NEEDS for 2013: France, Turkey and to an extent, Valencia.

'.....not enough hotel rooms in the region.' (Austria)

The middle of EUROPE. Hotel rooms are the reason we can't race there?

DM has stated yesterday no calendar had been sent, so why can't we race Austria?

Still negotiating Austria, IMHO. And I'm thinking BE is wanting more than just financial considerations here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 am 

nike2die4 wrote:
or move outside UK...it's funny how we in Canada get to watch races on TSN via BBC live while those in UK actually don't. :-P

From what I have been told I can get Setanta Ireland and watch the Beeb coverage live on that . :lol: :lol:

How fecking daft is that!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 pm 

Johnston wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

From what I have been told I can get Setanta Ireland and watch the Beeb coverage live on that . :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
The BBC did not choose Turkey.

The way it works is that the BBC get first pick on THREE races they want to see live. Last year it was Monaco, Britain and the last race (Brazil) - this year they chose Canada, Britain and the last race (Brazil again),

Sky then get to pick three races they want exclusively live (I don't think it was disclosed, but I think that last year they chose the first race (Australia), Canada and the last race before the summer break.

The remaining races then alternate with Sky not being allowed more than 2 exclusives in a row.

As a result, the BBC should be given one more live race as a result of this race being cancelled as it was not one they picked.

Should they?

There's probably clauses in the contract that state if races are cancelled and not rescheduled, its tough.

The BBC probably don't care, its a few 10s of thousands saved on sending everyone out there...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 pm 

Anyone knows why is Valencia gone? Just tried it on f1 2012, the last sector is wickedly fun to drive!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:21 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
Anyone knows why is Valencia gone? Just tried it on f1 2012, the last sector is wickedly fun to drive!

Incredibly dull to watch, 2012 being the exception.

Spain had two races but can't really afford either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:49 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:

Yeah luv that last section taking all them corners flat !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 pm 

Johnston wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

so it doesn't affect the BBC, just the UK viewers who don't have sky?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 pm 

minchy wrote:
Johnston wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

Pretty much. Sky have exclusive rights to show all the races in the UK, not Ireland.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 pm 

minchy wrote:
Johnston wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

I'm in the UK part of Ireland, thats what makes it so funny.

We are a Proper BBC region but I can get a better BBC product from a different country all legal and above board. No streaming straight to my Telly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm 

Johnston wrote:
minchy wrote:
Johnston wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

We are a Proper BBC region but I can get a better BBC product from a different country all legal and above board. No streaming straight to my Telly.

it is silly that the BBC can recompense some of its outgoings selling a product to other stations that people who help fund the channel never see!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:33 pm 

I have just canceled sky F1 and sport packages, just cant afford it as I only watch European rugby and F1.
I am going to miss it as it was fantastic coverage.

Is there any way we can discuss 'other ways of watching it' on here with out overstepping the line

mods?>

We obviously cant have 'go to this link' etc, but what could we do and stay legal? Can we discuss links on non UK sites or non UK TV on satellites we can find from Uk? or is it best not to go near it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm 

moby wrote:
I have just canceled sky F1 and sport packages, just cant afford it as I only watch European rugby and F1.
I am going to miss it as it was fantastic coverage.

Is there any way we can discuss 'other ways of watching it' on here with out overstepping the line

mods?>

We obviously cant have 'go to this link' etc, but what could we do and stay legal? Can we discuss links on non UK sites or non UK TV on satellites we can find from Uk? or is it best not to go near it?

It depends on the mods definition of legal. Technically its not illegal to link to stuff - nobody can get in trouble for that. Its the consummation and distribution of said material that's illegal.

Either way - I wouldn't try - you wont last long here ;)

Have you considered SkyGo? IIRC they do an F1 deal that worked out something around £10-£15 a month.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:34 am 

There was no deal on sky go, you had to get the sports monthly ticket.

It was £35 a month, I just cancelled mine. Might get it back for Australia though.

I just baulked a bit after Xmas when I realised I'd spent £350 on F1. Having recently said to a colleague that I couldn't afford to go to Silverstone. When if I'd saved that money and just lived with bbc I could do.

I wish sky would offer the channel on its own on sky go montly. I might send an email. I guess offering it cheap to stream would reduce their full time 12 month contract sign ups though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:03 am 

minchy wrote:
Johnston wrote:
minchy wrote:
Johnston wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

it is silly that the BBC can recompense some of its outgoings selling a product to other stations that people who help fund the channel never see!

hey we help fund the channel too,what i pay for BBC is three times what you pay,so yes i help fund it too via my local channel :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:30 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:
hey we help fund the channel too,what i pay for BBC is three times what you pay,so yes i help fund it too via my local channel :)

Wow, where are you and how much do you pay for the BBC?!