planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:27 pm 

so what do you all think i don't see it as a game changer but may keep them in q2 now hrt is gone
sems all the big guns will moan or copy it

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... y_of_2013/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 pm 

GODISMYCOPILOT wrote:
so what do you all think i don't see it as a game changer but may keep them in q2 now hrt is gone
sems all the big guns will moan or copy it

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... y_of_2013/

Won't see test 2 and if it is allowed they'll all have versions come Melbourne.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:22 pm 

Not at the moment. We'll wait after T3 in Catalunya.

I have proven to be wrong, but I'm right more often than not unfortunately it seems these days.

Caterham will score 8 points this year (a random guess, but we'll see).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm 

Here's the piece of kit that is considered "controversial" by some. It is a vane (probably metal) that sits across the exhaust "tunnel".

Now we get to the regulations:
Quote:
The design may fall foul of article 5.8.4 of the 2013 Technical regulations which state that.

Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a right circular truncated cone which :

a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.

b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.

c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre line.

d) Has a half-cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel centre line.

Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.

No formal protest can be lodged yet as in testing the full regulations do not apply. More follows

So we get to the first question, is it legal? Does it fall within the area defined by the regulations?

That alone is a very close call.

The second question is whether Caterham intend to use it when Melbourne rolls around? Who knows, right now they can run it in testing, and without a doubt Charlie Whiting and his staff have informed the team on their opinion on it's legality.

My personal opinion is that Caterham are using it only to direct the exhaust flow to a specific area to learn where the exhaust should go, then once they have determined the path they want the exhaust to flow, will design and construct bodywork to match their testing results. This is a much cheaper and easier method to do than build different versions of body work to find out where they want the exhaust to flow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 pm 

fair point its a wonder why they let it out just now if they hat waited to Melbourne they may have got 2 races out of it then told its illegal

would have been nice to see what hapens if they had done it that way , as its only seems to be red bull that do that

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

The second question is whether Caterham intend to use it when Melbourne rolls around? Who knows, right now they can run it in testing, and without a doubt Charlie Whiting and his staff have informed the team on their opinion on it's legality.

All communication between FIA and team is available to other teams. If they asked for calrification, teams would know everything about its legality. And FIA until FP1 can't do anything with it as long as the car meets safety standards. Teams cannot protest it before FP1 either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:15 pm 

It was mentioned on Teds notebook earlier as Lotus were calling it in to question BUT he also mentioned some stuff about one team introducing double drs, had people round and never caught it properly then the dog sat on the remote so I couldn't rewind.

Surely any form of ddrs is banned this season? Anyone know what he was referring to?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 am 

crankcase wrote:
It was mentioned on Teds notebook earlier as Lotus were calling it in to question BUT he also mentioned some stuff about one team introducing double drs, had people round and never caught it properly then the dog sat on the remote so I couldn't rewind.

Surely any form of ddrs is banned this season? Anyone know what he was referring to?

Think he said Lotus had DDRS with them to test tommorow?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 am 

Malkiiin wrote:
crankcase wrote:

I think, iirc, that Lotus' DDRS system is passive, so that circumvents the rules a little.
I think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am 

Lentulus wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
crankcase wrote:

I think, iirc, that Lotus' DDRS system is passive, so that circumvents the rules a little.
I think.

Iirc that's right. But back the the exhaust do the cars have to comply with rules during testing ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:28 pm 

A2jdl wrote:
do the cars have to comply with rules during testing ?

No, notwithstanding safety

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:05 pm 

Leave them alone they will be slow anyway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Here's the piece of kit that is considered "controversial" by some. It is a vane (probably metal) that sits across the exhaust "tunnel".
My personal opinion is that Caterham are using it only to direct the exhaust flow to a specific area to learn where the exhaust should go, then once they have determined the path they want the exhaust to flow, will design and construct bodywork to match their testing results. This is a much cheaper and easier method to do than build different versions of body work to find out where they want the exhaust to flow.

That sounds plausible enough. It's what I would do.

Current 2014 Championship standing: Mired in the midfield as usual... 47th

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:34 pm 

Quote:
BBC F1 technical analyst Gary Anderson in Jerez

"There has been a bit of a discussion about the exhaust exit on the Caterham and whether it complies with the regulations. The rules say the exhaust exit has to point upwards at 10 degrees and in towards the centre of the car at between 0-10 degrees. But the teams want the gases down in the area where the floor meets the rear wheels to improve aerodynamics. So all the cars have channels beyond the exhaust exit that use something called the Coanda effect to attach the gases to a bodywork surface that slopes downwards in that direction. The issue with the Caterham is that it has a small turning vane - aerodynamically shaped piece of bodywork - in that channel to try to enhance the effect. But it is an area where the rules have all sorts of restrictions that basically ban turning vanes. It's a grey area because there is an exhaust exit there but the rules still say you can't have aerodynamic devices there. We'll have to see how that pans out. But I'm not even sure it will be a benefit. That's because you want the exhaust flow to have as much energy in it as possible to have the greatest effect at the floor. Putting that turning vane in might help its direction in simulations but it will reduce its energy."