Who Would You Rather Be?
The Driver 79%  79%  [ 33 ]
The Chief Strategist 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
The Team Owner 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 42
 Post subject: Who Would You Rather Be?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:27 am 

Hi all,

Excuse me if you roll your eyes at this thread - it is off season after all and I'm craving F1 so my mind is not being occupied!

I have a 3 choice scenario for you...REALISTICALLY would you rather be:

The Driver

You race fast cars with adrenaline surging through your body. The chance of victories, overtaking and battling with competitors and the track.
BUT you have to risk your life every race. Do loads of media commitments. Have to train on your off days.

or

The Chief Strategist

You make all the cars on the pit wall. You think you know best sometimes at home sitting on the sofa so this is your chance to make these potentially race winning calls. You don't risk your life and your not under media spotlight.
BUT you don't get that same adrenaline of being a driver and are reduced to not driving, of course.

or

The Team Owner

You run the whole team. You're the chief. You decide who drives for your team, the livery, sponsorship, the name, etc. You don't risk your life and don't have responsibility of the pit wall calls.
BUT you are responsible for who you hire, from the drivers to the strategists to the engineers - thats a lot of weight on your shoulders.

The choice is void of salary but down to preference.

For me personally, I know I'd like to be the driver BUT realistically it would scare the bejebus out of me and probably would prefer to be the Chief Strategist.

Grand Prixs on bucket list...
Canada * Mexico * Japan * Germany

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:01 pm 

Driver and then Team owner!.

Seriously if I have to pick only one it would be driver, safety concerns wouldn't come into it any more for me but the media commitments would be a pain in the hoop yeah but driving those cars around some of the best tracks in the world would more than make up for it.

Not really that interested in Strategy to be honest, seems a thankless task. If you heed the results of the simulation no-one blinks an eye or congratulates the chief strategist and when you make one in the race it's usually labelled the wrong one whatever happens.

Only time I ever heard about the chief strategist at Mercedes during their utter dominance was after he got one wrong in Monaco last year. Though because Mercedes only run one it's probably not a great example but you still only really notice them when it goes pear shaped. The driver usually gets all the credit for making it work.

Team owner would be cool if I had a few billion and an engine manufacturer to come in with me of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:06 pm 

Team owner.

That would mean I was a very rich man and had free movement in some very restricted areas. If I wanted to race I could afford trackdays when ever I wanted, and I always wondered what they did with the old sim's now I would tell them where to install it (my "play room" :D )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:38 pm 

I have always been driver orientated so it has to be the driver.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 22nd

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:42 pm 

moby wrote:
Team owner.

That would mean I was a very rich man and had free movement in some very restricted areas. If I wanted to race I could afford trackdays when ever I wanted, and I always wondered what they did with the old sim's now I would tell them where to install it (my "play room" :D )

It would also mean that you are Briatore (I'll stop myself from posting THAT picture!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:16 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
moby wrote:
Team owner.

It would also mean that you are Briatore (I'll stop myself from posting THAT picture!)

I sing my own Thong. Dont Ozzys call flip flops Thongs? You can post a pic of those

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:25 pm 

Okay then, I'll be the nerd in the bunch and say strategist.

While I love driving, and driver would be my second choice, there's huge demands on your down time and personal life that I wouldn't want to be bothered with.

Being an owner would be cool, but unless you're building the team up from scratch and a true garagista like Frank Williams you're going to be fairly disconnected from the team or be getting in other peoples way who are trying to give you a return on your investment.

Strategy is one of the reasons why I love endurance racing, and why a spend a lot of the time during F1 races looking at the live timing app and trying to see who might try to stretch out their last stint or whether a short first stint will play out or not. I do the same with my running stats and find myself pouring over the data from the previous years race in the week before trying to see where I could've pushed more or should've pushed less.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:43 pm 

None of the above. Chief engineer for me without a doubt, I would love to understand things how Newey and his cohorts do even if only for a few minutes

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:18 pm 

moby wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
moby wrote:
Team owner.

I sing my own Thong. Dont Ozzys call flip flops Thongs? You can post a pic of those

Safe enough!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:48 pm 

With my talent?

I'd have to be the team owner...I'd be worse than Deletraz as a driver, if that's possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:13 pm 

Teaam owner out of those options, with a competition for best fan livery being put on the car each year and the designer of the livery coming to as many races as they could/wanted to attend that year. I think we can all agree that recent fan liveries have been a lot better than the actual ones raced (McLaren in particular take note!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:42 pm 

Dream Scenario was Adrian Fernandez in the early 2000's.
Co-Owner/Driver with an excellent relationship with his engine supplier Honda and he had a crazy lucrative sponsorship to the point he probably could have gotten into F1.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:49 pm 

Obviously driver.

If I couldn't be a driver, I'd love to be the strategist, personally.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 pm 

The thing is, 95% of the time it is no fun to be the driver. Nico won the WDC and for about 14 days straight he was flying all around the world visiting sponsors, the day after he won it he flew to Malaysia for Petronas... maybe he wouldn't have retired if it wasn't for all the sponsorship commitments.

Team owner, you can do what you want. If you feel like being really active you can go to every race and be like Toto at the centre of the team or you can go to the far extreme and be like the Arab owners of football teams in Europe where literally nobody knows who they actually are or even remembers there names. Or you could be like Dietrich and take a back seat and show your face occasionally but pull all the strings out of the public eye.

No interviews, no sponsorship nonsense (unless you want to do it) and of course you could take the cars out occasionally too, like at goodwood or classic racing events or even during demonstration runs. Newey drove the Red Bull at Goodwood a few years ago for example. I believe Horner has had a go too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:07 pm 

The driver every day of the week

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:01 am 

Driver. Almost everyone wants to be the driver. Even these guys tried being drivers before reality struck, they realized they did not possess enough talent and made career changes.

http://gpf1.cz/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Bernie-Ecclestone-F1-driver.jpg

http://www.grandprixhistory.org/images/ferrari45.jpg

My second choice would be the strategist. I have crewed in race teams and the involvement and fun of being in the pits during a race is insane.

But being a team owner can be fun for some........

http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dd-eddiejordan-20090306-p.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:09 am 

moby wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
moby wrote:
Team owner.

Yeah we call flip flops thongs.

Your thongs are out G- Strings, G-Bangers or Long Jetty undies

Why Long Jetty undies I hear you ask ? (or is that my schizophrenia play up again)

They're called Long Jetty undies because they're up near.... well, lets see if you can guess from this map.

https://beyondtheflow.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/the-entrance-nsw.gif?w=625

Driver for me plz.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:58 pm 

8O

I have hered the saying "it may not be the **** hole of the world but you can see it from there" And always wondered where they were referring to :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:48 am 

How did you all manage to make THIS thread dirty?!

I'm sort of impressed...

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:48 pm 

Driver for sure. But i also enjoy the strategist role.

By the way did anyone know toto wolff was offered an f1 seat and he declined it? I personally had no idea the guy was at that level as a driver.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:19 pm 

kleefton wrote:

By the way did anyone know toto wolff was offered an f1 seat and he declined it? I personally had no idea the guy was at that level as a driver.

Whaa? No! What's the story there?

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 pm 

mcdo wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Whaa? No! What's the story there?

Supposedly happened back in 94'

http://www.f1supernews.com/2017/01/10/w ... d-f1-seat/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:48 am 

I mean, who wouldn't want to be an F1 driver, wow it would be amazing. BTW, just love that hilarious picture of Eddie with the attractive woman. Ha ha ha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:16 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
https://beyondtheflow.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/the-entrance-nsw.gif?w=625

Hmm, road race anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:

I'm sort of impressed...

I raise my hand as the guilt party who left the door open. Or should I blame Eddie Jordan?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:04 pm 

Toto decided to not pursue a career in racing in May 1994, I wonder if the death of his countryman Ratzenberger, Senna and then the serious injury of Wendlinger later that month put him off. That and his size.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:16 pm 

lamo wrote:
Toto decided to not pursue a career in racing in May 1994, I wonder if the death of his countryman Ratzenberger, Senna and then the serious injury of Wendlinger later that month put him off. That and his size.

According to the article on the main site it was Wendlingers injury that gave him an opening. He said that he knew he wasn't F1 material and his size was an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:25 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

I'm sort of impressed...

I raise my hand as the guilt party who left the door open. Or should I blame Eddie Jordan?

The latter. If only because Eddie Jordan.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.