Please read the forum rules

For his rant, Steiner deserves:
1. The 250,000 Euro fine 26%  26%  [ 8 ]
2. A paddock ban 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
3. Some of Haas' constructor points removed 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4. No penalty 58%  58%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 31
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 am 

Steiner was very critical of the stewards at Russia after Magnussen was given a 5-second penalty for not passing behind 1 of the 2 bollards outside of turn 2. FIA didn't like this & will probably take action against Steiner who has done similar stuff in the past. FIA is deliberating 3 punishments out of which one will be handed to Steiner. He has said on the team radio to Magnussen "If it wasn’t for a stupid, idiotic steward, we would be eighth".

1. A fine of 250,000 Euros.
2. A paddock ban (don't know if it means through the entire racing weekend or just the race day).
3. A certain amount of Haas' constructor points will be deducted.

Wonder if a Team Principal has ever faced such an investigation/punishment earlier?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/steiner-facing-paddock-ban-for-criticising-stewards/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:56 am 

How can they take action on Steiner but basically ignore Vettel's antics in Canada despite him already being on a final, final warning?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
How can they take action on Steiner but basically ignore Vettel's antics in Canada despite him already being on a final, final warning?

I don't even understand why they would take action anyway. On what grounds should he not be free to express his opinion on a stewards decision? The usual bull**** catch all is 'bringing the sport into disrepute' but if it weren't for this FIA punishment nobody would even remember it. Hell, I doubt I would have even heard about it at all.

Draconian nonsense from the FIA this one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I don't even understand why they would take action anyway. On what grounds should he not be free to express his opinion on a stewards decision? The usual bull**** catch all is 'bringing the sport into disrepute' but if it weren't for this FIA punishment nobody would even remember it. Hell, I doubt I would have even heard about it at all.

It's also not like he said this deliberately for broadcast in an interview or even said on the radio "I have a message for the stewards".

I agree, I don't see why he isn't allowed an opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 am 

Has this story been reported on any reputable sites?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am 

shoot999 wrote:
Has this story been reported on any reputable sites?

It was on Autosport after the race last week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:40 am 

Where's the fun in sports if things can't get a little heated. Gunther should have said the decision was stupid tho, and as such an apology would be in order. But not much more than that IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:50 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Perhaps people don't understand that there was a bad accident in F2 when Mazepin did exactly the same thing as KMag, in this case 2 cars left the track at the same time, one car went through the markers correctly, Mazepin did the same thing as KMag and there was a massive crash between the 2 cars for which Mazepin I believe has received a severe penalty.

Also in light of the recent death of Hubert and the severe injuries to Correa after 2 cars collided at high speed when off the track, I think Steiner is playing on a somewhat sticky wicket, also the FIA must be by now be getting a bit sick and tired at the constant complaining that Haas make in respect of the stewards.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 am 

As I understand it, Steiner's comment to Magnussen was made over the team radio during the in-lap & it was broadcast on the race coverage yeah?

If so, who selects what radio comments to broadcast to the public & if the comment wasn't broadcast, would Steiner still be facing a sanction?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 351 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:07 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Perhaps people don't understand that there was a bad accident in F2 when Mazepin did exactly the same thing as KMag, in this case 2 cars left the track at the same time, one car went through the markers correctly, Mazepin did the same thing as KMag and there was a massive crash between the 2 cars for which Mazepin I believe has received a severe penalty.

Also in light of the recent death of Hubert and the severe injuries to Correa after 2 cars collided at high speed when off the track, I think Steiner is playing on a somewhat sticky wicket, also the FIA must be by now be getting a bit sick and tired at the constant complaining that Haas make in respect of the stewards.

Sure that would explain the penalty. I don't think people are disagreeing with it. I think Steiner is allowed to voice an opinion in the way he did. It was over team radio. Not an interview and it wasn't like Vettel's Mexico meltdown where his comments were very much intended for the stewards to here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:10 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Sure that would explain the penalty. I don't think people are disagreeing with it. I think Steiner is allowed to voice an opinion in the way he did. It was over team radio. Not an interview and it wasn't like Vettel's Mexico meltdown where his comments were very much intended for the stewards to here.

I'm just wondering how often you can criticise the stewards before it's considered as bringing the sport into disrepute, that's my main angle in respect to Steiner.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:24 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I'm just wondering how often you can criticise the stewards before it's considered as bringing the sport into disrepute, that's my main angle in respect to Steiner.

In an interview saying that just once would be cause for some action. Over the radio where a choice is made as to what to broadcast, never. These are essentially private conversations we are lucky enough to listen in on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:55 pm 

This is what I wrote in response to the article on the front page…

Every point in F1 is worth a small fortune and teams like Haas need every last bit of the prize money they EARN and for it to be taken away at the discretion of someone who made a questionable decision in penalizing a move that was nothing more than a TRUE racing incident where the driver gained no advantage and didn't impede anyone, it's quite understandable for a person in Steiner's position to be peeved and feel embittered enough to speak harshly about the steward who made such a costly decision.

I don't see how anyone would be perfectly composed when someone reaches into your pocket and grabs millions of dollars, which is literally what happened. And THEN, to have the audacity to threaten the possibility to take even more money out of their pocket via levying a fine… the FIA need to take stock of the current climate of the sport and realize that they should be doing everything in their power to help teams and the series remain viable, fun and exciting, and treating teams poorly will turn them away from the series which is not what they should be wanting to achieve.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm 

pokerman wrote:

Irrelevant. Drivers and teams are expecting consistency. As fans, we expect consistency. If a rule is breached in the event of safety, again we expect consistency and understandably a penalty.

If it's someone venting their frustrations which doesn't impact safety on any level, doesn't risk any driver or team member let alone the race stewards... once again consistency.

Consistency would be a slapped wrist.

It doesn't matter how the stewards 'feel' about Haas, what matters is consistency on the rules. If they give him more than a slapped wrist meanwhile a driver is able to have a bigger rant on the track several times over the last few years.... (let alone his attitude after the race).... it would yet again prove what a debacle the FIA/Stewards are.

I want to see emotion and I want to see consistency on the rules.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:26 pm 

Who would they be fining, him personally or Haas? I don’t like the idea of a team fine as it might result in less being invested in the car, which isn’t fair on the drivers.

Seb said in Canada that you would have to be a blind man, but he didn’t go as far as to say the stewards were idiots. Steiner seemed to single out an individual steward, though that might have been a language thing, I don’t know. That Steiner was the one reacting rather than KMag might also have made a difference, as KMag and Vettel were the ones having been racing for over an hour. KMag lost 2 points, while Vettel lost a win (which would have been his first in almost a year) so I think his antics were more understandable.

That said while I cut Vettel some slack for his antics in Canada, I don’t condone what I’ve read about Mexico 2016 or a 2018(?) weighbridge incident.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:34 pm 

It's all about consistency. KMag was done for 12.1.1.i "Failure to follow the instructions of the relevant officials for the safe and orderly conduct of the Event". So if there was a specific order for this race, they can't really start kicking fuss about the penalty.

I'm glad that the FIA stuck with this, they specifically told the drivers about it, so when one driver did it, why are they throwing the toys out of the pram when they get penalised? I'm frankly lost with this.

I think Kmag will bring this on the driver's briefing at Suzuka, would be interesting to see what is said there

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:48 pm 

Teddy007 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Irrelevant. Drivers and teams are expecting consistency. As fans, we expect consistency. If a rule is breached in the event of safety, again we expect consistency and understandably a penalty.

If it's someone venting their frustrations which doesn't impact safety on any level, doesn't risk any driver or team member let alone the race stewards... once again consistency.

It doesn't matter how the stewards 'feel' about Haas, what matters is consistency on the rules. If they give him more than a slapped wrist meanwhile a driver is able to have a bigger rant on the track several times over the last few years.... (let alone his attitude after the race).... it would yet again prove what a debacle the FIA/Stewards are.

What would be consistent about penalising a F2 driver for doing the same thing as KMag but not KMag himself?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:30 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Teddy007 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

What would be consistent about penalising a F2 driver for doing the same thing as KMag but not KMag himself?

It wasn't quite the same was it?

Even so we regularly see the F1 guys get off for things that they come down on in F2 and F3. See Monza qualifying.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:48 pm 

This is nonsense. Why can't a team principal say whatever he wants over the team radio?

Just because they like to broadcast it, or listen to it, doesn't mean it's meant for their consumption.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:50 pm 

a potential 250,000 euro fine is ridiculous. a talking to behind the scenes this weekend to tone it down a little, is the most that should occur.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 pm 

This is silly, agree with others here
Why did they broadcast it , and what is the punishment then for the broadcaster? free F1 maybe :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 pm 

Well I really liked the guy but in the moment I've heard he extended contracts with both Mag and Gro for 2020 I'm done - I'm fine with everything, they can even ban him for life ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 pm 

A fine is appropriate, but 250,000 euros? Why so much more than you'd get for an unsafe release or something similar that legitimately endangers lives?

As for people thinking he shouldn't get anything, you'd get some sort of penalty for disrespecting the referee in just about every sport I know of. Why should motorsport be different?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:36 pm 

Firstly, Steiner has the right to criticise the stewards - they're not beyond reproach. Secondly, it was the FIA that broadcast a private conversation between Steiner and his driver, thus making the remarks public. That's the FIA's fault. Lastly, the stewards, have, for the most part in 2019, been DREADFUL.

The FIA are also hypocrites. Vettel's attack on Charlie Whiting a few years back? Nothing was done. Vettel's fit in Baku 2017, nothing was done. edit: Verstappen's horrid behaviour in Brasil 2018 - a mere slap on the wrist, and a total joke.

Formula 1 is really turning into a massive joke under Liberty medias ownership imho.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:17 am 

Exediron wrote:
A fine is appropriate, but 250,000 euros? Why so much more than you'd get for an unsafe release or something similar that legitimately endangers lives?

As for people thinking he shouldn't get anything, you'd get some sort of penalty for disrespecting the referee in just about every sport I know of. Why should motorsport be different?

Not in that context you wouldn't.

And you can't pick and choose your targets. If Vettel's in actions in Canada which were far more disrespectful and actually meant to be public display of defiance gets given the all clear, despite him already being on a final warning, then I don't think they can punish Steiner.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

And you can't pick and choose your targets. If Vettel's in actions in Canada which were far more disrespectful and actually meant to be public display of defiance gets given the all clear, despite him already being on a final warning, then I don't think they can punish Steiner.

Maybe the drivers are given a bit more leeway than team principals. As they should, IMO.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am 

Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Maybe the drivers are given a bit more leeway than team principals. As they should, IMO.

Why should they? I'd be the results matter more to the team principle than the driver.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:19 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Why should they? I'd be the results matter more to the team principle than the driver.

Because the team principals are in administrative positions and officially represent their teams and being politically competent is their job. The drivers blurt out their opinions in the heat of the moment most of the time and it would be silly to put them on the same line.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:39 am 

Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Because the team principals are in administrative positions and officially represent their teams and being politically competent is their job. The drivers blurt out their opinions in the heat of the moment most of the time and it would be silly to put them on the same line.

It's also the heat of the moment for the team principle as well. Probably even more heat. They aren't inhuman.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:29 am 

Exediron wrote:

I think those fines with fixed amounts are kind of dumb anyway, because it depends on the team how much it affects to them financially. For example a fine of 250,000 euros might be nothing for Ferrari, but for Haas it's a substantial amount. The penalties such be applied in such a way that they scale equally to each team.

At least in Finland, if you get caught at violating the traffic laws, the amount that you're being fined is certain % based on your income.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am 

froze wrote:
At least in Finland, if you get caught at violating the traffic laws, the amount that you're being fined is certain % based on your income.

Yeah, that's a rarity in the world as I understand it. In the USA it's a fixed amount, and you'd better believe it's nothing if you're a millionaire. :uhoh:

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:19 am 

So.... Still no reliable news reports on this actually being considered by the FIA?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:22 am 

Herb wrote:
So.... Still no reliable news reports on this actually being considered by the FIA?

As mikey mentioned above:

"It was on Autosport after the race last week."

I think the FIA may have other worries with F1 at the moment though!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:41 am 

Siao7 wrote:
Herb wrote:

Got a link?

I can find one article regarding this on Autosport, it does not mention any of the quoted punishments. It only has quotes from Masi who when asked what it would take for the FIA to act, said it was "not for me to determine"

I'm not saying the FIA are not considering action - but there seems to be a lot of fuss based on nothing that I can find.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:45 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

It's also the heat of the moment for the team principle as well. Probably even more heat. They aren't inhuman.

Fair enough, even though I feel it should be easier for them to stay composed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:54 am 

Herb wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Herb wrote:

Got a link?

I can find one article regarding this on Autosport, it does not mention any of the quoted punishments. It only has quotes from Masi who when asked what it would take for the FIA to act, said it was "not for me to determine"

I'm not saying the FIA are not considering action - but there seems to be a lot of fuss based on nothing that I can find.

Same here; all woulda shoulda coulda in that article. Not that I take too much notice of Autosport anymore. They have turned themselves into a joke. And I can see nothing from the FIA anywhere on this issue, and certainly not any reference to punishments.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:55 am 

Herb wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Herb wrote:

Got a link?

No link, as I said it wasn't my quote so I can't vouch for it.

But there's the link from the PF1 article on the top of the page:

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... e-19100802

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:06 pm 

https://www.essentiallysports.com/haas-f1-boss-guenther-steiner-could-face-a-paddock-ban/

Of course all this is not 100% sure as nothing is official yet! As always, the news first comes via inside source or gossips within the paddock. The reason (I've read) in either article is because Steiner hasn't just once openly criticized a steward which is why FIA has had enough. No doubt he criticized a specific steward on the radio to Magnussen but doesn't the FIA have the right to access all the data. team radio etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Teddy007 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It wasn't quite the same was it?

Even so we regularly see the F1 guys get off for things that they come down on in F2 and F3. See Monza qualifying.

That just reads to me that so long as there isn't a major accident then it's alright, also when has there been an edit in the past that drivers should rejoin in the track in a certain manner and failing to do that has resulted in no penalty?

I'm replying to a post saying that the stewards should be more consistent, how was the stewards penalising KMag not be seen as being consistent?

Last edited by pokerman on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:18 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
https://www.essentiallysports.com/haas-f1-boss-guenther-steiner-could-face-a-paddock-ban/

Of course all this is not 100% sure as nothing is official yet! As always, the news first comes via inside source or gossips within the paddock. The reason (I've read) in either article is because Steiner hasn't just once openly criticized a steward which is why FIA has had enough. No doubt he criticized a specific steward on the radio to Magnussen but doesn't the FIA have the right to access all the data. team radio etc.

This being the point I was also making.