planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:52 am 

Arai_or_Nothing wrote:

...........It was only referred to as the most prestigious race in the world ........

Only really in the USA (as with some other gems like calling the US president "the leader of the Free World" - which really gets people laughing).

The USA has a huge internal audience, but is extremely parochial.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:07 pm 

Actually, I believe that if you did a bit of research, you would find that the the INDY 500 has been considered a truly significant race world wide for decades. It may not have the punch today that it once had, but for most of the past century, it, along with LeMans, was probably the most significant race in the world.

For the first part of F1's history the Indy 500 was part of the schedule, even though few of the other F1 drivers/teams competed in it. In the 60s, drivers like Jimmy Clark and Graham Hill actually raced in the 500.

The race has traditionally been run on our Memorial Day (last weekend in June).... recently though the Monte Carlo GP has been at the same time so... and of course, the reluctance of teams to let their drivers do anything else during the season has put an end to this though.

Lastly, if you had ever been to an Indy 500, seen the days leading up to it, the pomp & circumstance involving race day, the celebration that is the 500.... you don't really understand why it has been claimed to be the "greatest spectacle in racing". It is a event of great scope. an event that at one time had as much as half a million people in attendance. An event that was broadcast world-wide (even if you did not get to listen or care to).

Lastly, did you really have to get yet another dig in about the US with your bitter "president" comment.?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:15 pm 

^^^Off topic, but yeah pg55555 is right our President is not really the leader of anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:25 pm 

Arai_or_Nothing wrote:
Argentum wrote:
@Arai: I have no idea why you've had so many hip replacements - becoming almost routine for you, apart from this last one, which sounds horrendous.

But get well soon mate, and hope that you're (literally) back on your feet as soon as possible.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Back in 1990 when I needed a Hip Replacement, the existing technology would not suffice for a 14 year old kid and so my doctors undid the disaster that the Pakastani lovely individual Dr. performed on me but I had no hip in there. Just a gap and the leg was tethered internally using a shark leader to keep the leg from twisting in a way that would result in damaged nerves. Reason being was that they needed time to design a completely new system that would afford me at least 90% mobility which was a great deal more than the existing tech that allowed for just 60-65% mobility but it had to be designed, produced and tested which took almost 13 months. Then they went in and installed the new prostheses and all was good, BUT the components would only last 10-12 years if I stuck to just walking and sitting due to the materials and how they wear against one another. The ball was titanium and the socket was high tensile polished steel. Then the 2nd time around, ceramic plastics had come into prominence and they replaced the socket with that and the head or ball of the hip remained the same. The 3rd time around ceramics had advanced even further and were even harder and smoother and that lasted 14 years. This time around, both the ball and socket are state of the art ceramic and should last 15 years.

In short, the human body is an amazing thing and prosthetics last only so long and eventually require replacement. The natural hip is amazing in how all the parts are comprised of tissues that are a gazillion times softer than prosthetics, yet they outlast them tenfold.

I will be going home tomorrow with what's called a PICC Line (a catheter inserted in the artery under the bicep and resides just 3" from the heart) so I can continue to receive powerful antibiotics at home for another 2-3 weeks to ensure no infection sets in as I heal. I'm also under strict orders for bed rest for a month to allow whatever is causing my severe pain to heal and subside. I have my fingers crossed that everything goes well.

Several years ago a coworker of mine got a compound fracture while riding a dirt bike. Ended up with a bone infection that they had a hell of a time getting cleared up. They had to re-brake it and cutout sections a couple of times and had this weird setup that would hold the ends of the the break slightly apart so they would grow toward one another and then move them apart again. The poor guy was in a wheel chair off and on (mostly on) for over a year.

Hope you heal up soon.