planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Bernie to RETIRE???
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:16 pm 

Bernie might hang up his hat. This is long overdue. Please let it be true!!! It's not April 1st, so I'm hopeful!

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/92210 ... Retirement

Post subject: Re: Bernie to RETIRE???
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:05 pm 

Greedy....... YES
Senile...... I don't think so. He's like a Pirelli tyre near the end of its stint.

Sometimes better the devil you know and all that.

He won't be about for ever though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:12 pm 

As much as I despise Bernie I don't think his retirement will change much. F1's ridiculous business model will not change just because Bernie is gone; FOM will get a new chairman and the sport's revenues will continue to be plundered by a few greedy individuals. If anything we'll be worse off as he'll most likely be replaced by some some corporate type in a suit and tie with absolutely no knowledge of or interest in motor racing. Bernie's top priority has always been accumulating yet more wealth but at least motor racing was second on his list of interests.

Having said that if he does step down then I'll still be enjoying a celebratory pint :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:25 pm 

He could take some of his money and buy his own team, maybe lotus...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:05 pm 

What Bernie is most likely trying to do is get a good amount for his current shares whilst keeping control via agreement. Then de-value the sport by slagging it off and taking it to countries where it wont work...the but it back for a super cheap price. (He's done it twice before!)

Please tweet me> @PG-F1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:06 pm 

RaptorHunter wrote:

He been there done that with Brabham many moons ago ;)

CVC must have been planning for this for sometime now - as Bernie says he is not a "corporate type" and is probably now considered a liability to any likely floatation plans.

It will be interesting to see how this moves forward - I doubt we will see the like for like replacement - probably more a corporate CEO figure like we see in the EPL.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:14 pm 

Martin K wrote:
RaptorHunter wrote:

He been there done that with Brabham many moons ago ;)

CVC must have been planning for this for sometime now - as Bernie says he is not a "corporate type" and is probably now considered a liability to any likely floatation plans.

It will be interesting to see how this moves forward - I doubt we will see the like for like replacement - probably more a corporate CEO figure like we see in the EPL.

The most likely to take over would be Justin King, current CEO of Sainsburys. A keen F1 fan and has already announced that he is departing Sainsbury's in the summer...

Please tweet me> @PG-F1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:49 pm 

I just read about Bernie. I knew he was wealthy and controversial but wow he sure has a lot going on. His affairs read like a Hollywood movie. He even gets paid 60 million pounds a year from Slavica.

If he does retire, I sure hope they make a movie of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:12 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
From my perspective Bernie did 20 years of making F1 better followed by 20 years of making it worse.

His most terrible legacy is to have inflated the value of the commercial rights to a point where only the sort of companies and individuals you specifically don't want to own them can afford to own them. I fear when he's gone the sport will enter freefall because he's the only thing standing between motorsport fans and CVC's unfettered dash for cash. If we think he treats the small teams badly, fails to recognise the importance of the classic events and comes up with stupid gimmicky ideas... I suspect we've seen nothing yet.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:15 pm 

jimmyj wrote:
I just read about Bernie. I knew he was wealthy and controversial but wow he sure has a lot going on. His affairs read like a Hollywood movie. He even gets paid 60 million pounds a year from Slavica.

If he does retire, I sure hope they make a movie of it.

it would be fascinating.

BTW the £60M is part of the divorce settlement and a means of avoiding inheritance taxes. His money is tied up in a Trust controlled by Slavica for his kids: he could have split it when they divorced and got £600M but he would have been hit by taxes, so he came to an agreement with Slavica where she paid him "what she considered a fair and reasonable amount" every year for ten years. Surprisingly, it adds up to the same as what he would have received in a single lump sum, except the tax man doesn't get anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:15 pm 

So surprised he hasn't stepped down already, its going to happen sooner so why he is so narrow minded just further implies his arrogance.

In any case I just love watching corrupt criminals get absolutely disgraced and shamed. He is certainly sweating under that collar, and I'm happy to sit back and watch it unfold.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:55 pm 

Among the most corrupted entities in this world, you can put on top any world sport federation or organization (starting with football, cycling and olympic games...). But Bernie makes all the beneficiaries of other sports look like amateurs : though giving back huge amounts of money here and there, it appears they are just drops of the daily shower of money he managed to be soaked with.

I never understood why the FIA (well Mosley being Ecclestone's creature, that's not a surprise, but Mosley has been replaced since) didn't kill Ecclestone's F1 just to get back the ownership, and the money, in the right pockets... Which would certainly help reducing the costs, to boot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:22 pm 

I like Bernie

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:32 pm 

I’ve said it before, I’m a bit worried that when Bernie does go then he will be replaced by a board of faceless suits and accountants.

F1 being run by a committee (more than it is now) does not sound very appealing to me, we should be careful what we wish for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:39 pm 

Jeepkhana wrote:
Bernie might hang up his hat. This is long overdue. Please let it be true!!! It's not April 1st, so I'm hopeful!

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/92210 ... Retirement

Of course he is going to retire! He has to retire. For those of you who don't know how this end game is going to play out, it is as follows:

(1) Long before the court verdict is read, Bernie will retire and name a successor
(2) Bernie's Health will deteriorate with a couple of well publicised health emergencies
(3) Bernie will be found guilty of bribery among other charges.
(4) Bernie and his layers will negotiate the most important deal of his life...
(5) Bernie will pay a large fine &
(6) Bernie will NOT serve a single day in jail for health and age reasons as per his deal.
(7) Bernie will live happily ever after!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 pm 

Just watched the BBC try to do a hatchet job on him and tbh they failed miserably.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:24 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Just watched the BBC try to do a hatchet job on him and tbh they failed miserably.

Mikey, I logged in to say exactly that - I was even going to use the 'hatchet job' term!

If anything, my respect for Bernie has sky-rocketed after this programme. Clearly he's a very intelligent and very astute man, and the only argument people against him have is 'it's just not fair!' Bernie has worked the system to the nth degree and at least he has actually done stuff in life. Why don't these so-called 'journalists' and 'experts' start chasing all those useless politicians and bankers with the same zeal, eh? Because everyone likes a villain - and that's what he's being made out to be. He had the foresight to make F1 what it is today, like him or not. The fact that he was a driver and a team owner displays his obvious passion for the sport, despite what some people say, and I shudder to think who his replacement will be.

As written above, better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Must be really tough in life to live with such bitterness towards another human. Me, I'm going to sleep well tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:33 pm 

Perhaps the most damning evidence of Bernie's poor leadership is the fact that at his age and with so many years running the sport under his belt, he has really not groomed a successor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:06 am 

Horner is touted as a replacement for Ecclestone but its the perfect job for piers morgan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 am 

mcdo wrote:
I like Bernie

Sorry to hear that, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:29 am 

I don't want to see Bernie retire ..... I want to see him SACKED :-P