planetf1.com

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

Driver(s) of the day was / were:-
1. Lewis Hamilton 22%  22%  [ 60 ]
2. Nico Rosberg 4%  4%  [ 11 ]
3. Fernando Alonso 42%  42%  [ 114 ]
4. Daniel Ricciardo 20%  20%  [ 55 ]
5. Sebastian Vettel 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
6. Nico Hulkenberg 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
7. Valtteri Bottas 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
8. Kimi Raikonnen 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
9. Sergio Perez 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
10. Daniil Kvyat 4%  4%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 274
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 am
Posts: 3855
POBRatings wrote:
Alonso for me. I doubt anyone else could have driven that Ferrari as he did in Shanghai. It seems Fernando has been the most accurate/consistent/mistake-free/fast driver of all since about 2005.

I can't remember any of those seasons in detail - but it would be nice if you could provide evidence that Alonso made less mistakes etc. than Kimi in '05 and Schumi in '06.

Edit - I'm not going near '07, when Alonso made the biggest mistake of all - trying to blackmail his boss!


Last edited by LKS1 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 225
Harpo wrote:
Rosberg was not only flawless, but compensated for the flaws of his car, and drove the old way with most of the assistance (including at the start) being helpless. Much more impressive than Hamilton in the (almost) same car if you ask me.

As it's about driver of the day, not driverS, and you have to pick only one, it's Rosberg for me. Which doesn't mean, as everybody seems to think as soon as your choice is different from theirs, that the others (Hamilton and Alonso for instance) were bad or that you "hate" them.


Lol. Funny. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9804
Location: Travelling around the world
LKS1 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
LKS1 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Alonso by a mile.

Hamilton gets points for controlling from the front in a superior car, and Rosberg also deserves mention because after a crappy start he worked his way up to a deserved second. But Alonso was a tiger, imagine what he would have done if he had the best car.

Alonso brought a butter knife to a gunfight and held his own.

Not really. He had a good start (if you ignore the collision with Massa which destroyed Massa's race, whilst not affecting his own) and ended the race in P3.

His 'butter knife' in a 'gun fight' was only against the Mercs - and he ended up behind both of them.

Please don't misunderstand me, I think he drove extremely well (apart from the Massa incident) - and I also think Ferrari/RBR cars were v closely matched, and he came out in front - but "butter knife to a gunfight" is taking it too far IMO.

A Ferrari has no place being on the podium right now. But there he was.

Also, Williams ruined Massa's race, not Alonso.

And again (as nearly always :lol: ) it comes down to opinion.

IMO the Ferrari was unable to fight against Merc, and the RBR had nothing like the straight line speed of the Ferrari. The 2 teams were closely matched and only one driver from either team could end up on the podium.

Bearing in mind Seb really wasn't doing well in China, that left it down to Alonso/Ric. Personally, it comes as no suprise to me that Alonso won this battle - but he still had one of the 'best of the rest' cars.

Strategy, the undercut and making it work. Add a great start to that and that's how he beat the Red Bulls.

No doubt he had more horsepower down the straight. But RB should have had him on strategy alone.

If Vettel didn't perform then boohoo. Doesn't mean the Ferrari was a better car.

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:33 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4671
ToniWolf wrote:
Pedrosa_4_ever wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Prejudiced? No where did I mention my favorite driver, and I gave my vote for to one of my least favorites. I also never mentioned Hamilton, but if I had to, I'd say yes he did a good job however he didn't do anything spectacular because he didn't need to. Not to mention that the above mentioned giong off the track for no appearent reason means he wasn't flawless. Same as has often been the case for Vettel over the last few years.

But I think the thing is you gave Rosberg an honourable mention despite the fact that he was blown away by his teammate and made multiple mistakes all weekend. I hate challenging people in this sort of thread because it's often just a matter of opinion but how does that make sense?


Well, I am sure it makes sense to him. You are right . All things considered, its a very transparent post i'd say. : :(

This is one of the reasons I rarely comment in the driver of the day threads. You say "transparent post" and another called my opinion prejudiced as if I'm saying something negative about Hamilton by saying something positive about Rosberg.

Lewis has a really good car now so some of you fans need to take your hairshirts off. Not everything that doesn't praise him is something that detracts from him.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 225
RaggedMan wrote:
ToniWolf wrote:
Pedrosa_4_ever wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Prejudiced? No where did I mention my favorite driver, and I gave my vote for to one of my least favorites. I also never mentioned Hamilton, but if I had to, I'd say yes he did a good job however he didn't do anything spectacular because he didn't need to. Not to mention that the above mentioned giong off the track for no appearent reason means he wasn't flawless. Same as has often been the case for Vettel over the last few years.

But I think the thing is you gave Rosberg an honourable mention despite the fact that he was blown away by his teammate and made multiple mistakes all weekend. I hate challenging people in this sort of thread because it's often just a matter of opinion but how does that make sense?


Well, I am sure it makes sense to him. You are right . All things considered, its a very transparent post i'd say. : :(

This is one of the reasons I rarely comment in the driver of the day threads. You say "transparent post" and another called my opinion prejudiced as if I'm saying something negative about Hamilton by saying something positive about Rosberg.

Lewis has a really good car now so some of you fans need to take your hairshirts off. Not everything that doesn't praise him is something that detracts from him.


Sorry raggedman. Just saying your post makes absolutely no sense and your explanation seems to reveal your motives.. lol. No need to respond to this post. We can agree to strongly disagree . :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 am
Posts: 3185
LKS1 wrote:
POBRatings wrote:
Alonso for me. I doubt anyone else could have driven that Ferrari as he did in Shanghai. It seems Fernando has been the most accurate/consistent/mistake-free/fast driver of all since about 2005.

I can't remember any of those seasons in detail - but it would be nice if you could provide evidence that Alonso made less mistakes etc. than Kimi in '05 and Schumi in '06.

Edit - I'm not going near '07, when Alonso made the biggest mistake of all - trying to blackmail his boss!


My comment was a general one; agreed Shumi in 2006, Raikk in 2005 were fault-freer; but for about ten years now Fred has not had any poor seasons when he was slow or erratic, as Raikkonen has been, BUtton in mid-2012 and perhaps Hamilton in 2011. All drivers make mistakes, but the way Alonso has performed from 2008 in non-top-rated cars has been exceptional. Top rated cars are easier to drive, give time to think, change tactics, relax a bit; off-pace cars are harder to drive and one has to try so hard. |In that sense imo Alonso has been really great.

Alonso's 2005 and 2006 seasons seemed pretty good too, up against Kimi and faster McLaren-Mercedes and of course Michael/Ferrari who was superb in 2006 when his car was fast enough.

_________________
http://grandprixratings.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 am
Posts: 3855
POBRatings wrote:
LKS1 wrote:
POBRatings wrote:
Alonso for me. I doubt anyone else could have driven that Ferrari as he did in Shanghai. It seems Fernando has been the most accurate/consistent/mistake-free/fast driver of all since about 2005.

I can't remember any of those seasons in detail - but it would be nice if you could provide evidence that Alonso made less mistakes etc. than Kimi in '05 and Schumi in '06.

Edit - I'm not going near '07, when Alonso made the biggest mistake of all - trying to blackmail his boss!


My comment was a general one; agreed Shumi in 2006, Raikk in 2005 were fault-freer; but for about ten years now Fred has not had any poor seasons when he was slow or erratic, as Raikkonen has been, BUtton in mid-2012 and perhaps Hamilton in 2011. All drivers make mistakes, but the way Alonso has performed from 2008 in non-top-rated cars has been exceptional. Top rated cars are easier to drive, give time to think, change tactics, relax a bit; off-pace cars are harder to drive and one has to try so hard. |In that sense imo Alonso has been really great.

Alonso's 2005 and 2006 seasons seemed pretty good too, up against Kimi and faster McLaren-Mercedes and of course Michael/Ferrari who was superb in 2006 when his car was fast enough.

In other words Alonso wasn't the most consistent/accurate/fault-free/fast driver from 2005 onwards?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:40 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 13227
LKS1 wrote:
POBRatings wrote:
LKS1 wrote:
POBRatings wrote:
Alonso for me. I doubt anyone else could have driven that Ferrari as he did in Shanghai. It seems Fernando has been the most accurate/consistent/mistake-free/fast driver of all since about 2005.

I can't remember any of those seasons in detail - but it would be nice if you could provide evidence that Alonso made less mistakes etc. than Kimi in '05 and Schumi in '06.

Edit - I'm not going near '07, when Alonso made the biggest mistake of all - trying to blackmail his boss!


My comment was a general one; agreed Shumi in 2006, Raikk in 2005 were fault-freer; but for about ten years now Fred has not had any poor seasons when he was slow or erratic, as Raikkonen has been, BUtton in mid-2012 and perhaps Hamilton in 2011. All drivers make mistakes, but the way Alonso has performed from 2008 in non-top-rated cars has been exceptional. Top rated cars are easier to drive, give time to think, change tactics, relax a bit; off-pace cars are harder to drive and one has to try so hard. |In that sense imo Alonso has been really great.

Alonso's 2005 and 2006 seasons seemed pretty good too, up against Kimi and faster McLaren-Mercedes and of course Michael/Ferrari who was superb in 2006 when his car was fast enough.

In other words Alonso wasn't the most consistent/accurate/fault-free/fast driver from 2005 onwards?


I think it would be fair to say he has been the most consistently consistent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: UK
POBRatings wrote:
Alonso for me. I doubt anyone else could have driven that Ferrari as he did in Shanghai. It seems Fernando has been the most accurate/consistent/mistake-free/fast driver of all since about 2005.

:thumbup:

I have rated Alonso as the best on the grid ever since his two championship years. He has rarely had the fastest machinery but has almost always maximised what he has had and pulled out some pretty unlikely results at times. He hasn't been totally mistake-free though; in fact as I remember the first half of 2010 was a bit of a horror show.

I'd give him driver of the day for China though for scoring an unlikely podium in a race where his highly-rated team mate was nowhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 am
Posts: 242
it's a no brainer, Alonso was essentially perfect, as Blinky said, Alonso brought a butter knife to a gunfight and held his own, putting that ferrari where it had no right to be. Hamilton was sublime too, shoutout to Dan Ricciardo as well for outperforming his 4 time world champion team mate.

_________________
"Just leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"

Fav driver: KIMI RAIKKONEN

---

Alonso's the best, Vettel's the most successful, Hamilton's the quickest & Kimi's the coolest :smug:
Respect them ALL!

---
Brazil 2007-The Dream Came True


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:55 pm
Posts: 327
I like this from extract from a recent article on Pf1:

"Mercedes Executive Director Toto Wolff has admitted that the pace Fernando Alonso and Daniel Ricciardo showed at times in Shanghai is something of a concern for the Brackley outfit."

Vettel on the other hand is of no concern, lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 am
Posts: 3855
stranger wrote:
I like this from extract from a recent article on Pf1:

"Mercedes Executive Director Toto Wolff has admitted that the pace Fernando Alonso and Daniel Ricciardo showed at times in Shanghai is something of a concern for the Brackley outfit."

Vettel on the other hand is of no concern, lol.

I can't see that the pace of either Alonso or Ric would 'concern' Merc at China?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:55 pm
Posts: 327
LKS1 wrote:
stranger wrote:
I like this from extract from a recent article on Pf1:

"Mercedes Executive Director Toto Wolff has admitted that the pace Fernando Alonso and Daniel Ricciardo showed at times in Shanghai is something of a concern for the Brackley outfit."

Vettel on the other hand is of no concern, lol.

I can't see that the pace of either Alonso or Ric would 'concern' Merc at China?


Well that's what Toto Wolff said.

In any case, who would have known before the season started that Mercedes would be more concerned about Ricciardo than Vettel? Noone predicted it, but its true.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atomicunderware, Blake, cdriel, Espo, Greenman, JN23, MB-BOB, mikeyg123, Oasis, owenmahamilton, Paolo_Lasardi, RaggedMan, spiritone, TheGiantHogweed and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group