6. Nico Hulkenberg 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
7. Valtteri Bottas 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
8. Kimi Raikonnen 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
9. Sergio Perez 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
10. Daniil Kvyat 4%  4%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 274
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:54 pm 

Juzzy82 wrote:
I don't understand how anyone could vote for Hamilton as driver of the day. He basically cruised to a win without any pressure or issues.

Hamilton is my favorite current driver but I think Alonso (and Ferrari) deserve today's honors. The car was third best and he beat the quicker Red Bulls to the podium. Very impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:03 am 

Alonso. He had to work hard for that podium.

Rosberg made a bit of a meal of getting second and Hamilton didn't have to push himself at all. Ricciardo gets a special mention though, he made Vettel look a bit silly today.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:11 am 

Juzzy82 wrote:
I don't understand how anyone could vote for Hamilton as driver of the day. He basically cruised to a win without any pressure or issues.

You have the option of voting for more than one driver. I voted Alonso, Hamilton and Ricciardo. If it was just one choice I'd probably pick Alonso but the other schooled their teammates today so deserved a vote too.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 am 

In a poll about best car I could understand why Merc/Hammy/Rosberg would get many votes, but racing with such an advantage I hardly can't see what was so special about cruising a rocket to the finish line :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:56 am 

huggybear wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He cruised to a win because he was much faster than his team mate in the same car. Pretty much the only time Rosberg made time up on him was when he backed off a lap early after being shown the flag too soon. If your only yardstick is your team mate, and you are beating them easily, while they themselves are crushing everyone else, there isn't much else you can do to impress.

Rosberg had to fight his way to second through traffic which is why he was slower. It's easier to win from the front - just ask Vettel. If you are using the team-mate comparison to determine driver of the day then Hamilton is well down the list.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:10 am 

huggybear wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He cruised to a win because he was much faster than his team mate in the same car. Pretty much the only time Rosberg made time up on him was when he backed off a lap early after being shown the flag too soon. If your only yardstick is your team mate, and you are beating them easily, while they themselves are crushing everyone else, there isn't much else you can do to impress.

So like vettel did for 3 straight years?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:51 am 

You might argue that Lewis had the race effectively won on the proviso of a stunning quali lap and a decent start. Once in front, it was largely about pace management.
Nico, to be fair, had to manage a start without an optimised clutch after the team lost telemetry from his car. He managed his recovery to second having to provide feedback to the team from his dash readouts, albeit still ni a faster car then the competition.
Fernando demonstrated again how he can put that Ferrari in a position where it may not necessarily belong. My vote will go to him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 am 

Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

Except for that time he missed his braking and ran off the circuit

So… he wasn't flawless. Close though!

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:17 am 

Juzzy82 wrote:
huggybear wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

Rosberg had to fight his way to second through traffic which is why he was slower. It's easier to win from the front - just ask Vettel. If you are using the team-mate comparison to determine driver of the day then Hamilton is well down the list.

But that's just it isn't it? Rosberg messed up and had to work hard to get 2nd, which means Lewis was absolutely on the ball

He missed more practice time than Rosberg on Friday but was still faster. Then he schooled him in qualy. Ran away at the start. And had a million miles better tyre life and fuel usage. Lewis made Nico look very ordinary this weekend

DotD is still Alonso. But the manner in which Lewis dominated his teammate was no easy task

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:58 am 

mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

Exactly, Lewis made mistakes too in a car WAY faster than the competition. But I think that is probably down to the team not bringing him in early enough for a tyre change.

I'd have voted Alonso, if I didn't think he was at fault for the collision with Massa at the start.

My second choice would have been Ric - if he hadn't enjoyed the benefit of team orders when Seb was told that they were on different strategies. As it turns out, they weren't IIRC.

As it is, I can't see that any driver was flawless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:12 am 

LKS1 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

Exactly, Lewis made mistakes too in a car WAY faster than the competition. But I think that is probably down to the team not bringing him in early enough for a tyre change.

I'd have voted Alonso, if I didn't think he was at fault for the collision with Massa at the start.

My second choice would have been Ric - if he hadn't enjoyed the benefit of team orders when Seb was told that they were on different strategies. As it turns out, they weren't IIRC.

Hulkenberg… ?

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:38 am 

mcdo wrote:
LKS1 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

Hulkenberg… ?

Ashamed to admit that I wasn't paying attention to Hulkenberg :blush: .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 am 

hammy, ric, alonso and hulk for me

Hammy, flawless race
Ric, racing well - made his car work for him
Alonso, just great from the old man
Hulk, continues to impress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:45 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

We've gone through a couple of seasons where people refused to vote Vettel DotD in these poles because his car was so dominant so I don't see any problem with some doing the same this year for either of the Mercedes drivers so far this year.

Remeber all "LOL, Vettel ran wide when driving by himself" at, what I believe was, Canada last year or the year before. Yea same thing here.

Now to stay on topic. Alsonso is my top pick, with honorable mention to Rosberg who did a great job, in my opinion, of being patient and playing the long game in the race once he lost out at the start. When he could have easily taken a desperate attack through the field to try to get up to and race his team mate putting him at a greater risk of damaging the car and ruining his chances of the almost garuanteed 2nd place finish.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:27 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

We've gone through a couple of seasons where people refused to vote Vettel DotD in these poles because his car was so dominant so I don't see any problem with some doing the same this year for either of the Mercedes drivers so far this year.

Remeber all "LOL, Vettel ran wide when driving by himself" at, what I believe was, Canada last year or the year before. Yea same thing here.

Now to stay on topic. Alsonso is my top pick, with honorable mention to Rosberg who did a great job, in my opinion, of being patient and playing the long game in the race once he lost out at the start. When he could have easily taken a desperate attack through the field to try to get up to and race his team mate putting him at a greater risk of damaging the car and ruining his chances of the almost garuanteed 2nd place finish.

I remember Schumacher messing up on various occasions. But he'd be half a lap in front so it never affected the result

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:36 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

Alonso did a solid job but Rosberg, Really? He was over a second behind his teammate in Qualy and finished nearly 20 seconds behind in the race.
I'm not sure I'm wise to even respond to such a prejudiced post but if you really believe Rosberg was better than Hamilton in that race i can only feel sorry for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:09 pm 

Lewis, Fernando and Sergio for me. Not that others didn't have great drives, but these were the guys for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:58 pm 

You can't be the 'best driver' if in a car with a second a lap advantage, no safety car and fewer problems than any other driver - you haven't lapped all but the top 6 and been right behind 6th.

FA / DR or one of the lower level cars doing above average was the star of the race - LH - excellent job, but hardly special - particularly given Nico had a poor start, all sorts of problems, and yet still easily gets second.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:41 pm 

imbrugliaboy wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

Alonso did a solid job but Rosberg, Really? He was over a second behind his teammate in Qualy and finished nearly 20 seconds behind in the race.
I'm not sure I'm wise to even respond to such a prejudiced post but if you really believe Rosberg was better than Hamilton in that race i can only feel sorry for you.

Prejudiced? No where did I mention my favorite driver, and I gave my vote for to one of my least favorites. I also never mentioned Hamilton, but if I had to, I'd say yes he did a good job however he didn't do anything spectacular because he didn't need to. Not to mention that the above mentioned giong off the track for no appearent reason means he wasn't flawless. Same as has often been the case for Vettel over the last few years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:52 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
imbrugliaboy wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

Prejudiced? No where did I mention my favorite driver, and I gave my vote for to one of my least favorites. I also never mentioned Hamilton, but if I had to, I'd say yes he did a good job however he didn't do anything spectacular because he didn't need to. Not to mention that the above mentioned giong off the track for no appearent reason means he wasn't flawless. Same as has often been the case for Vettel over the last few years.

By mentioning Rosberg and omitting Hamilton in your driver of the day picks comes across to me as though you have a dislike of Hamilton?
Even Rosberg himself said he had a poor weekend.
There were a few drivers who had very good drives, Rosberg was pretty average.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:58 pm 

F1Oz wrote:
You can't be the 'best driver' if in a car with a second a lap advantage, no safety car and fewer problems than any other driver - you haven't lapped all but the top 6 and been right behind 6th.

FA / DR or one of the lower level cars doing above average was the star of the race - LH - excellent job, but hardly special - particularly given Nico had a poor start, all sorts of problems, and yet still easily gets second.

Honestly what would be the point?
Only a fool pushes his car to the limit to get a large gap when a safety car would wipe it out.
Hamilton just nursed the car to a very easy victory without stressing any systems.
I guess he needs to qualify his car down the field, come through the pack and win by a lap to get any credit from some folk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 pm 

I'm a Hamilton fan but I cant give him driver of the day. He done what was expected. For me the driver of the day is the racer who puts his car where you didn't expect him too or at least fought hard for it. Alonso for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:09 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
imbrugliaboy wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

But I think the thing is you gave Rosberg an honourable mention despite the fact that he was blown away by his teammate and made multiple mistakes all weekend. I hate challenging people in this sort of thread because it's often just a matter of opinion but how does that make sense?

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:04 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
But I think the thing is you gave Rosberg an honourable mention despite the fact that he was blown away by his teammate and made multiple mistakes all weekend. I hate challenging people in this sort of thread because it's often just a matter of opinion but how does that make sense?

To me when a driver overcomes difficulities to get a good result (even if it's a result he should have gotten easily) he deserves a bit of notice. It may well be that some of his problems were selfinduced, but he had no control over the loss of telemetry on the grid but he responded well and played the long game to get back to where he should have been in a controlled way.

Respectfully disagreeing with me, as you did, is no big deal. We don't have to agree about anything much less everything. However calling predjudice or bias when there isn't even a hint of it is just silly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:20 pm 

Alonso-He busted his a$$ for that podium
Perez- 7 Spot improvement after a crappy Qualifying.
Hulk- Neutral. Typical Hulk drive, good but nothing memorable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:11 am 
Alonso by a mile.

Hamilton gets points for controlling from the front in a superior car, and Rosberg also deserves mention because after a crappy start he worked his way up to a deserved second. But Alonso was a tiger, imagine what he would have done if he had the best car.

Alonso brought a butter knife to a gunfight and held his own.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:14 am 

Rosberg was not only flawless, but compensated for the flaws of his car, and drove the old way with most of the assistance (including at the start) being helpless. Much more impressive than Hamilton in the (almost) same car if you ask me.

As it's about driver of the day, not driverS, and you have to pick only one, it's Rosberg for me. Which doesn't mean, as everybody seems to think as soon as your choice is different from theirs, that the others (Hamilton and Alonso for instance) were bad or that you "hate" them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Alonso by a mile.

Hamilton gets points for controlling from the front in a superior car, and Rosberg also deserves mention because after a crappy start he worked his way up to a deserved second. But Alonso was a tiger, imagine what he would have done if he had the best car.

Not really. He had a good start (if you ignore the collision with Massa which destroyed Massa's race, whilst not affecting his own) and ended the race in P3.

His 'butter knife' in a 'gun fight' was only against the Mercs - and he ended up behind both of them.

Please don't misunderstand me, I think he drove extremely well (apart from the Massa incident) - and I also think Ferrari/RBR cars were v closely matched, and he came out in front - but "butter knife to a gunfight" is taking it too far IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:53 am 

LKS1 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Alonso by a mile.

Not really. He had a good start (if you ignore the collision with Massa which destroyed Massa's race, whilst not affecting his own) and ended the race in P3.

His 'butter knife' in a 'gun fight' was only against the Mercs - and he ended up behind both of them.

Please don't misunderstand me, I think he drove extremely well (apart from the Massa incident) - and I also think Ferrari/RBR cars were v closely matched, and he came out in front - but "butter knife to a gunfight" is taking it too far IMO.

I do not think that Räikkönen is that bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
LKS1 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Alonso by a mile.

I do not think that Räikkönen is that bad.

You're probably in a small minority thinking that about China.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:57 pm 

DRSENABLED wrote:
Alonso-He busted his a$$ for that podium
Perez- 7 Spot improvement after a crappy Qualifying.
Hulk- Neutral. Typical Hulk drive, good but nothing memorable.

Is it not a case that Hulk hammered Perez on Saturday? Then did the maximum he could possibly do with his car on Sunday, beating the faster Williams of Bottas?

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 pm 

LKS1 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Alonso by a mile.

A Ferrari has no place being on the podium right now. But there he was.

Also, Williams ruined Massa's race, not Alonso.

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 pm 

mcdo wrote:
LKS1 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Alonso by a mile.

A Ferrari has no place being on the podium right now. But there he was.

Also, Williams ruined Massa's race, not Alonso.

And again (as nearly always :lol: ) it comes down to opinion.

IMO the Ferrari was unable to fight against Merc, and the RBR had nothing like the straight line speed of the Ferrari. The 2 teams were closely matched and only one driver from either team could end up on the podium.

Bearing in mind Seb really wasn't doing well in China, that left it down to Alonso/Ric. Personally, it comes as no suprise to me that Alonso won this battle - but he still had one of the 'best of the rest' cars.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm 

Harpo wrote:
Rosberg was not only flawless, but compensated for the flaws of his car, and drove the old way with most of the assistance (including at the start) being helpless. Much more impressive than Hamilton in the (almost) same car if you ask me.

As it's about driver of the day, not driverS, and you have to pick only one, it's Rosberg for me. Which doesn't mean, as everybody seems to think as soon as your choice is different from theirs, that the others (Hamilton and Alonso for instance) were bad or that you "hate" them.

I think Rosberg was far from flawless. I think too much credit is being given to coming second in a car which is so far ahead of the rest of the field that it should be a mere formality.

Rosberg made it look like hard work last weekend when Hamilton showed that the car should be untouchable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:13 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Harpo wrote:

I think Rosberg was far from flawless. I think too much credit is being given to coming second in a car which is so far ahead of the rest of the field that it should be a mere formality.

Rosberg made it look like hard work last weekend when Hamilton showed that the car should be untouchable.

Personally, I think Nico showed that the car is untouchable. He had a bad start, but still had no problems getting through the field - and Alonso didn't even bother to fight him!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:16 pm 

LKS1 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Harpo wrote:

Personally, I think Nico showed that the car is untouchable. He had a bad start, but still had no problems getting through the field - and Alonso didn't even bother to fight him!

Agreed. It was pretty much what I was trying to say. I don't think Nico's performance was impressive at all when you look at what his team mate was doing in the same car

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:40 pm 

pubpokerplayer wrote:
I'm a Hamilton fan but I cant give him driver of the day. He done what was expected. For me the driver of the day is the racer who puts his car where you didn't expect him too or at least fought hard for it. Alonso for me.

This.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 pm 

Alonso for me. I doubt anyone else could have driven that Ferrari as he did in Shanghai. It seems Fernando has been the most accurate/consistent/mistake-free/fast driver of all since about 2005.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:57 pm 

LKS1 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

He was flawless

Hamilton all the way for me. Exceptional driver. !!
Alonso was mercurial as always.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:01 pm 

I'm not sure I'm wise to even respond to such a prejudiced post but if you really believe Rosberg was better than Hamilton in that race i can only feel sorry for you.[/quote]
Prejudiced? No where did I mention my favorite driver, and I gave my vote for to one of my least favorites. I also never mentioned Hamilton, but if I had to, I'd say yes he did a good job however he didn't do anything spectacular because he didn't need to. Not to mention that the above mentioned giong off the track for no appearent reason means he wasn't flawless. Same as has often been the case for Vettel over the last few years.[/quote]
But I think the thing is you gave Rosberg an honourable mention despite the fact that he was blown away by his teammate and made multiple mistakes all weekend. I hate challenging people in this sort of thread because it's often just a matter of opinion but how does that make sense?[/quote]

Well, I am sure it makes sense to him. You are right . All things considered, its a very transparent post i'd say. : :(