planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Hamilton Fuel Usage?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:39 pm 

Quite clearly you lot havn't put 2 and 2 together.

Nico's Telemetry was out, the reason was Merc were using it to siphon fuel out of Nico's Tank and into Lewis's

Bloody Obvious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:50 pm 

imbrugliaboy wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Seanie wrote:
jrwb6e wrote:
Because he doesn't have to push the car anywhere near 100% with a substandard teammate and no other cars at his machine's level of pace.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Lewis finishes the season behind Nico.

I hope he does, just so posters like this can chocolate fudge cake back off to the WWE and associated sensationalist sports.

Is that actually a Hamilton supporter saying that though or just someone frustrated at Hamilton winning without challenge?

You have to laugh when the post he responded to was as Anti Hamilton as his post but because his hate was so strong he couldn't even see it!

I guess there must be just a dearth of rabid Hamilton posts for some to get their teeth into?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:54 pm 

Seanie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Seanie wrote:
jrwb6e wrote:
Because he doesn't have to push the car anywhere near 100% with a substandard teammate and no other cars at his machine's level of pace.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Lewis finishes the season behind Nico.

I hope he does, just so posters like this can chocolate fudge cake back off to the WWE and associated sensationalist sports.

Is that actually a Hamilton supporter saying that though or just someone frustrated at Hamilton winning without challenge?

An F1 fan getting an bit exasperated with the barrage of "LEWIS HAS IT WON, END THE CHAMPIONSHIP NOW" posts

The gist of it though is that he probably doesn't want Hamilton to win so you're basically hoping for what he wishes for

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 pm 

Rek wrote:
Even Nico's new fans are starting to go quiet. There are a handful of trolls on this forum who will support Nico, simply because he's Hamilton's teammate. Same thing happened with Button. This season is anything but done and dusted, despite Lewis outperforming Nico at every opportunity except Bahrain qualifying, he's still 2nd.

What will decide the championship is how Lewis performs when he's not on form, because when they're both at their best, Lewis is on another level.

Where's Alladin and Irbis? I could do with a laugh.

I think Alaaddin is on holiday?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:37 pm 

phazblade wrote:
Quite clearly you lot havn't put 2 and 2 together.

Nico's Telemetry was out, the reason was Merc were using it to siphon fuel out of Nico's Tank and into Lewis's

Bloody Obvious

I saw the same thing, during the race...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:15 pm 

Ennis wrote:
Not so much the not trying that people allude to. It's moreso that clean air, no battles, no defending, no attacking.. it just becomes easier to worry about yourself, your tyres and your fuel.

I do worry how true it is though. Its not in a drivers interest to be carrying too much fuel towards the end of the race, so unless I'm missing something they'd intentionally burn some up so they were still managing close to 'neutral' target.

I did think about this, that finishing the race with lots of fuel left over means accelerating an decelerating dead weight. But:

1/ If things turned out different and he had to fight more then he had the fuel to do this

2/ Is there any point using higher revs.. to burn more fuel to loose weight when you clearly have an advantage and in the end it does not matter. What matters more is preserving the engine as much as possible. In Bahrain behind the safety car was different as they knew there would be a fight/race to cross the finishing line first.

Last season there were some occasions where they could not fight so much as they had under fueled the car. They are still learning and are playing it safe with fuel levels.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 pm 

I found a comment Lewis made post race quite ominous, that lifting and coasting actually worked out as being a quicker way through certain corners. Not sure if he meant this as being specific to certain corner layouts or ones specific to China eg turn 1 but either way unless other drivers confirm this is it a pretty daunting prospect... being quicker whilst also saving fuel...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 pm 

I assume we are all going by the on-screen graphic of fuel ?

What do we know about this? is it a true fuel used v fuel in tank or is it a fuel used v the maximum allowed?

For instance, if a Merc started started the race 10k short, and used all allowable fuel, would it still seem they had surplus?

The weight of the car would be lower so all calculations of this sort would be out due to that also.

I have to assume the measured flow is what is supplied to the FIA feed (or who ever gives graphics) not the actual figures?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:34 pm 

Clean air and good track position. This enables him to cruise stops and acceleration a bit more. Less wash out on the front wing also means better tires as well. Better tires means less struggle on the power train and chassis to have to keep a person in back of you at bay. Less pressure, less stress, less mistakes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 am 

moby wrote:

What do we know about this? is it a true fuel used v fuel in tank or is it a fuel used v the maximum allowed?

For instance, if a Merc started started the race 10k short, and used all allowable fuel, would it still seem they had surplus?

The weight of the car would be lower so all calculations of this sort would be out due to that also.

I have to assume the measured flow is what is supplied to the FIA feed (or who ever gives graphics) not the actual figures?

FOM has their own telemetry in the car, and for what we know that telemetry do know the exact starting fuel as well. This is so that the FIA knows if a car is actually adhering to the 100KG Fuel rule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 pm 

linkinstreet wrote:
moby wrote:

FOM has their own telemetry in the car, and for what we know that telemetry do know the exact starting fuel as well. This is so that the FIA knows if a car is actually adhering to the 100KG Fuel rule

Do they? or rather do they release it as it could affect race strategy?
They only need to check the maximum amount, not what is actually put in

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:10 pm 
I really wonder if the LH fuel consumption was accurate. Not saying anyone is cheating. Juts don't know the source and how reliable.

Sorry- I see Moby addressed this question

Last edited by silkjet on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:21 pm 

moby wrote:

Its a calculation based on there being 100Kg of fuel being in the tank, you could actually change 10% of fuel used into 10Kg of fuel used, cars however may choose to start with less than 100Kg of fuel so the percentage of fuel used is therefore not accurate, but the amount of fuel used would be accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:25 pm 

linkinstreet wrote:
moby wrote:

I don't believe that the stewards know the starting fuel level, they are just able to measure how much fuel as been used.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:38 pm 

I think his fuel usage is just an indicator of the dominance he is enjoying atm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:49 pm 

pokerman wrote:
moby wrote:

Its a calculation based on there being 100Kg of fuel being in the tank, you could actually change 10% of fuel used into 10Kg of fuel used, cars however may choose to start with less than 100Kg of fuel so the percentage of fuel used is therefore not accurate, but the amount of fuel used would be accurate.

The amount used would be for the final analysis, but the onboard graphic would not. It could indicate Merc had 20 laps of fuel left at the past avg rate of consumption and in reality it could be down to 10.

I am not disagreeing the car is very efficient here, just how much stock to put in the graphic we are shown.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:54 pm 

moby wrote:
pokerman wrote:
moby wrote:

The amount used would be for the final analysis, but the onboard graphic would not. It could indicate Merc had 20 laps of fuel left at the past avg rate of consumption and in reality it could be down to 10.

I am not disagreeing the car is very efficient here, just how much stock to put in the graphic we are shown.

The graphic shows the amount of fuel used like i said you can not know how much fuel is left because you don't know how much fuel the car started with

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:56 am 
Gothalamide wrote:
To confirm, Lewis himself confirmed his fuel usage was better because he was trying to take it easy by lifting and coasting into the corners to save fuel, and this actually ended up making him faster...

Basically, by trying to take things easier on the car, Lewis actually ended up driving faster...

The other drivers (incl Rosberg) were not able to lift and coast because they were racing each other for position... If they had tried, someone would have just braked later and overtaken...

:D :D :D

Exactly. When you have a comfortable lead, you can drive the racing line, and never have to drive defensive, which could involve late braking, accelerating as soon as possible, and even driving into the marbles. But when just driving alone, you can stick to the driving line which involves making the corner radius as wide as possible, coasting before braking, then even gently to set the car's balance for the corner, and getting on the gas slowly and smoothly.

If you can carry a lot of speed into, and through the corner, your exit is fast too, which contributes to quick lap times. By coasting, you also ensure the KERS is kept full of charge, so you always get a good driver off corners. Sometimes when you are fighting hard and late braking, the KERS is unable to harvest it's maximum, and there will be times when it is unavailable because the charge is not built up enough.

By running in undisturbed air, the wings are at their most efficient, pushing down on the tires to give them maximum grip, and strangely enough, cooler.

It's almost like comparing city driving, with it's stops and starts to highway driving, where everything is calm and things happen gently.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:53 pm 

Is the fuel usage telling is anything about gear ratios?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:02 am 

Opps. Duff post

I may be wrong about - Alonso