planetf1.com

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 pm 

I like Crofty but Simon La-z-boy is very annoying with his constant stammering, mumbling, and slow teleprompter reading skills...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 am 

etchedchaos wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:
etchedchaos wrote:
Crofty's a good commentator but observation is not one of his strengths, nor is analysis, he loves to make kneejerk conclusions during free practices.

Like Ferrari has caught up with Merc during FP1 or 2?

Aye, FP2 long runs are particular fave of his, one slow lap and your tires are doomed.

haha this ^
He doesn't seem to understand how traffic can affect lap times either.

also, james allen was great - extremely knowledgeable & always knew what was going on, he went a bit overboard with the Hamilton love fest, but he has said that was under orders from itv.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 am 

lbennie wrote:
etchedchaos wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:
etchedchaos wrote:
Crofty's a good commentator but observation is not one of his strengths, nor is analysis, he loves to make kneejerk conclusions during free practices.

Like Ferrari has caught up with Merc during FP1 or 2?

Aye, FP2 long runs are particular fave of his, one slow lap and your tires are doomed.

haha this ^
He doesn't seem to understand how traffic can affect lap times either.

also, james allen was great - extremely knowledgeable & always knew what was going on, he went a bit overboard with the Hamilton love fest, but he has said that was under orders from itv.

I think Allen is great but we also need to play to the more casual viewers. Crofty does that. I watch the F1 channel obsessively, I follow online, I'm on here, so I pick up a lot of things that the vast majority of viewers won't. Even still, Crofty provides some balance and often gets more clarity on the information coming from the more technical Brundle. It just works well as a partnership. The main commentator isn't supposed to be there as an analyst.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:19 pm 

I used to dislike the sky coverage because of Lazenby. Since BBC introduced Suzi Perry though the sky coverage is no. 1 for me. I even like Lazenby now. The only good thing the BBC have going for them is Lee Mckenzie.
Ben Edwards constantly makes stupid noises when something happens and never commentates over them, Always gets drivers names wrong and commentates excitedly over replays!
I really cannot stand Suzi Perry which is why i never watch the BBC anymore.
Crofty and Brundle makes a great commentary team though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:39 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
Anyone find him annoying sometimes? Or just doesnt get his facts right before talking? Eg. at the start, he said Ricc was in second position behind Lewis but it was Vettel actually. and on one occasion, he said Lewis overtook Alonso into turn 7 many moons ago, but actually it was Vettel that got overtook back in 2011 for the lead of the race.

Yep - he gets things consistently wrong.
And annoyingly - he is the type to be wrong with so much confidence that you starts to question whether you got it right?
No hesitation at all.. I am amazed how one can be wrong so many times and keep parrotting it with authority.

The only explanation is that he keeps his head buried in the tablet of his or the LT screen which gives him wrong info as they dont detect quick changes of positions.

And I keep waiting for Brundle to butt in - but nothing comes - I m positive Brundle is letting the "guy" burn... LOL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 pm 

Peter77 wrote:
hahaha ye i noticed that to with Ricciardo and was thinking whats he on about lol. Mistakes happen

There is nobody like the great Murray Walker. He was the Senna of commentating!

He made plenty of mistakes to. Check out some of his funny ones below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0TZ_YLQSgg

He got the third place wrong at Bahrain too. and I m pretty sure that he mixed up on a fair few races last year as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:28 pm 

I used to love crofty on the radio, I used to listen to him while I watched the BBC with the sound down .... (during the legard period)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 pm 

mikey wrote:
Croft is ok but nothing special,no better than Allen or Legard who both got way to much criticism IMO. The way some people talk about them you would think they had took a leak through their letterbox to get so much hate.

I thought Allen was always harshly bashed without deserving it IMO, just because he was the replacement of the un-replaceable Murray Walker.
Edit: I'd say Legard was the worst one by far

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am 

I also think Allen gets a raw ride sometimes.
Yes, he was a tad annoying in the ITV days, and seemed a bit "lightweight" compared to Murry - and anyone who directly suceeded Murry was going to get a raw ride.

But his work on jamesallenonf1 is a fantastically indepth website which is always a great read, and his 5Live work has also been very good.

I didn't use to be a fan of him in the ITV days, but his work since then has redeemed him in my view.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 am 

I always think Murray Walker is looked back on with rose tinted spectacles. I remember thinking at the time that he was pretty useless. That views confirmed when I watch the classic races Sky show from his era.

Lazenby never annoyed me THAT much but I guess that's because he had been fronting Sky's rugby coverage for years prior to his F1 gig so I was used to him.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Last edited by Pedrosa_4_Ever on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 pm 

Not every "Croftyism" gets corrected by MB ..... smile sweetly whilst the guy next to you shoots himself in the foot ?

He has his faults .... BUT way better than his predecessors except dear old Murray ....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:21 pm 

Some interesting points.

I was going to start a thread to see what everyone thought of Crofty. Personally I think he's great, the passion and excitement is there, I think he and Brundle compliment each other.

I don't think Brundle is giving Crofty rope to hang himself, I think they work well. My top 4:

1. Walker and Hunt ("well I say that's bullsh!t")
2. Walker and Brundle (too many to choose 1)
3. Brundle and Croft ("don't make me laugh, you'll make me cough!")
4. Brundle and Coulthard ("Vettel, like kettle")

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:04 pm 

I'm quite alright with his race and qually work, getting things wrong in the spur of the moment is understandable he is after all only human. It's his Free Practice work and the conclusions he makes that bothers me, his long-run analysis is almost always kneejerk and he has never learned through experience that a slow lap is not indicative of heavy fuel or tires going off, nor is a quick lap indicative of true pace compared to the rest. Fortunately Bruno Senna actually understands these things and is starting to question Crofty's conclusions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:09 pm 

Crofty is one of the best F1 commentators ever. Supremely entertaining and knowledgeable. Good rapport with Martin Brundle, they seem to enjoy commentating together and that's infectious. I've watched almost every race since 1985 - I reckon they're easily the best combination ever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:54 pm 

SealTheDeal wrote:
Crofty is one of the best F1 commentators ever. Supremely entertaining and knowledgeable. Good rapport with Martin Brundle, they seem to enjoy commentating together and that's infectious. I've watched almost every race since 1985 - I reckon they're easily the best combination ever.

I don't think you need to enjoy working together to be a good combination,the opposite certainly applies with with what I consider the best commentary team ever.Walker and Hunt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:49 pm 

mikey wrote:
SealTheDeal wrote:

I don't think you need to enjoy working together to be a good combination,the opposite certainly applies with with what I consider the best commentary team ever.Walker and Hunt.

Crofty and Brundle work together in perfect harmony. They always are on the same page and Croft also gets Brundle to comment on the deeper aspects of what's going on. I can't see anyone getting any better than that.