planetf1.com

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 pm 

We all know the charge - that since he won his 08 title he has become a wanna-be rapper and got distracted by popstar girlfriend, dog etc etc...

I am asking - is there any REAL EVIDENCE for this? Or is it just a strange mix of media obsession, speculation, subconscious racism and just plain picking on someone out of mean spiritedness?

As a viewer - Ive always been struck by the ups and downs of Lewis being mainly due to the car he's had - not much more. Last year there was a background whoo-ha about a break up with Nicole - ok - but he won that race...so obviously thats affecting his performance a lot?

Now he's winning again 'he's on form, he's happy, he has a great home life etc etc...'. Sure that helps. But aside from 2011 which was a drop in form - 1 year out of the last 7 (impressive for any sportsman)...I cant see how now is remarkably different - apart from the fact he changed teams and got a great car now. His talent remains and if we are honest - he could have been WDC in 07 and 2012 had it not been for McLarens incompetance.

You lot here have a much deeper knowledge than I do - whats the word? Do you think his performances have been really been affected by meeting a few famous people in between races?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:17 pm 

Who knows?

In 2011 he was over driving the car to try and keep up with red bulls.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 pm 

He apparently spun out in Monza 2009 because he was trying to impress Nicole after shed slung him the first time. So he does let it get to him sometimes. His form late in 2012 dived after another split from her too.

Perhaps he has a better handle on it now though. I do think he's a more likeable person when he isn't talking about his 'homies' and 'bros' or whatever though. He comes across as a bit of a try hard tbh. He should just be himself.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
He apparently spun out in Monza 2009 because he was trying to impress Nicole after shed slung him the first time. So he does let it get to him sometimes. His form late in 2012 dived after another split from her too.

Perhaps he has a better handle on it now though. I do think he's a more likeable person when he isn't talking about his 'homies' and 'bros' or whatever though. He comes across as a bit of a try hard tbh. He should just be himself.

lol Monza 2009...Ill have to look into that...sounds a bit silly...

I remember his form in 2012 being pretty tight up until SIngapore and the endless issues...then the McLaren team were giving him the cold shoulder as he was considering leaving...could also have been connected to any drop in form...

Lewis isnt really a cool guy at heart-thats why its a bit cringe worthy when he does all that stuff. He's just a normal young and sensitive guy with a mixed race background growing up in front of everyone...it really doesnt suprise me much he has gone through stages finding himself - esp after having such a strong natured father...

Im a white upper middle class guy (who used to be into hip hop) - and some of the ridiculous phases me and my friends have been through are ten times worse than anything Lewis has ever said/done. I really think people need to examine why what Lewis does gets them so riled. He seems baffled when people give him a hard time - and to be honest - so am I.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 pm 

Mmm cant see how he was showing off - he just went onto the curb and spun...maybe lapse of concentration...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46 pm 

Thing is when Lewis makes a driver error people look to over analyse it.

2009 Monza he was pushing too hard to catch button, just an error. I very much doubt drivers start thinking if who they can impress when they have a race/fight to concentrate on. "Oh I better overtake this guy in the next 3 turns else my hommies will be diussapointed".... Yeah I doubt it works like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 pm 

I call it Tiger Woods syndrome..... Lewis is good copy, so media companies and their employees make big bucks drumming up controversy and exaggerated story lines. These story lines and caricaturing of the man lead to clicks, page views, ratings, subscriptions and ultimately results in $$$$$$ "When the seagulls follow the trawler" (Cantona is that you?)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:51 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Any support for the Nicole story? On its face it seems implausible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 pm 

f1madman wrote:
Thing is when Lewis makes a driver error people look to over analyse it.

2009 Monza he was pushing too hard to catch button, just an error. I very much doubt drivers start thinking if who they can impress when they have a race/fight to concentrate on. "Oh I better overtake this guy in the next 3 turns else my hommies will be diussapointed".... Yeah I doubt it works like that.

exactly this mate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:08 pm 

does anyone else think that the reason he's winning now is....he's got a good car capable of winning...which the majority of the time - last 7 years - would have been the same...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:17 am 
Speculating and playing the blame game is just coulda shoulda woulda.

2011 was Hamilton's worst year in many ways, poor results, the occasional collisions, and being in confict with too many directions. Before the beginning of the 2012 season he commented that 2011 saw him caught up in personal affairs and distractions. That came from his own mouth.

From such information one must conclude that Hamilton is not impervious to distraction.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:35 am 

Hamilton's 'form' is no worse than Vettel currently sitting 5th in the drivers title. Its hard to win in cars that aren't that competitive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 pm 

I think part of it might have been not so much that he had 'distractions' away from the track, but that those distractions were in an area of popular culture that F1 and, dare I say, some F1 fans are not too familiar. The accusations of him wanting to be 'a rapper' or whatever always have had a slight hint of prejudice.

I expect most of those guys have interests away from the sport. If one person's down-time is hanging out with pop stars, and another's is hanging out with stamp collectors, who is to say which is OK and which is not? Perhaps for some drivers this switching-off might retain their focus when they're back on the job. Who knows?

Personally, I'd like to see more drivers berated for having children whilst they're still competing. In terms of 'distractions' that must be amongst the biggest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 pm 

infi24r wrote:
Hamilton's 'form' is no worse than Vettel currently sitting 5th in the drivers title. Its hard to win in cars that aren't that competitive.

I love mango juice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:48 pm 

Who cares?

At the end of the day/race we look at the way drivers have driven during that race and the mechanical problems they encountered that would have affected their performance.

Emotional problems are understandable to a greater or lesser extent, but ultimately part of being a 'great' F1 driver is being able to race - regardless of whatever else is going on in their life (other than death of a close family member).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:54 pm 

LKS1 wrote:
Emotional problems are understandable to a greater or lesser extent, but ultimately part of being a 'great' F1 driver is being able to race - regardless of whatever else is going on in their life (other than death of a close family member).

And yet I seem to remember Hamilton being cut almost zero slack here after the death of his aunt during the summer break of 2012?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

I think the whole 'off track distraction' is a complete non event. The media have to continually come up with this nonsense... If he wins, suddenly his life is now in harmony, etc If anything I think Lewis has shown he is quite strong mentally.

And what about Vettel now? Did he break up with his girlfriend? Did Kimi's wife leave him and clean out his account? Is that why he's struggling for form. Let's at least agree that these guys are professionals. In a world where so many things (even your pit crew) contribute to your overall outcome/result in any given weekend, it's easy for things to go awry and it could be as a result of so many things.

And as for the part of the post above I made bold, Lol he is NOT Jenson Button you know. He is not Seb or Fernando. He has his own personality, culture and background. If you don't like people who generally speak like that that's fine but that's who he is. I personally don't understand why we sometimes expect others to conform to our own expectations of behaviour. For me, I follow what they do on or around the 'stage' and how they are in their 'personal' lives I could really care less.

Last edited by justmoi on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:34 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
I think part of it might have been not so much that he had 'distractions' away from the track, but that those distractions were in an area of popular culture that F1 and, dare I say, some F1 fans are not too familiar. The accusations of him wanting to be 'a rapper' or whatever always have had a slight hint of prejudice.

I expect most of those guys have interests away from the sport. If one person's down-time is hanging out with pop stars, and another's is hanging out with stamp collectors, who is to say which is OK and which is not? Perhaps for some drivers this switching-off might retain their focus when they're back on the job. Who knows?

Personally, I'd like to see more drivers berated for having children whilst they're still competing. In terms of 'distractions' that must be amongst the biggest.

fair enough except the end! You cannot stop people from doing as they wish in their spare time - and having children!

justmoi wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I think the whole 'off track distraction' is a complete non event. The media have to continually come up with these nonsense... If he wins, suddenly his life is now in harmony, etc If anything I think Lewis has shown he is quite strong mentally.

And what about Vettel now? Did he break up with his girlfriend? Did Kimi's wife leave him and clean out his account? Is that why he's struggling for form. Let's at least agree that these guys are professionals. In a world where so many things (even your pit crew) contribute to your overall outcome/result in any given weekend, it's easy for things to go awry and it could be as a result of so many things.

And as for the part of the post above I made bold, Lol he is NOT Jenson Button you know. He is not Seb or Fernando. He has his own personality, culture and background. If you don't like people who generally speak like that that's fine but that's who he is. I personally don't understand why we sometimes expect others to conform to our own expectations of behaviour. For me, I follow what they do on or around the 'stage' and how they are in their 'personal' lives I could really care less.

well said

glad some others seem to share what I do...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:51 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
I'm a big Hamitlon fan these days but, to me, he's clearly a troubled sort. Without wanting to sound too cliched, if you are who you want to be and you know who that person is, you're likely to be resilient enough to cope with life's ups and downs. I think Hamilton is plagued by insecurities of some sort. Pure speculation on my part, obviously.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:05 pm 
fieldstvl wrote:

I don't know why, but some fans somehow rate the distraction. If he hangs out with rappers, that's a bad distraction. If he has a needy girlfriend, that's a bad distraction. If he gets hammered, that's a bad distraction. If he has children, that's a good distraction. The thing is, be it a driver, an athlete, or an accountant, a distraction is a distraction. The important thing is that when it comes time to focus and do the job, distractions cannot be present.

Everyone requires a break from their job, a vacation, a night at the pub, or a round at the gold course. There are some drivers who go home between races, and spend quality time with their loved ones. That is how they recharge their batteries, that is how they unwind and prepare for the next round. But the important thing, that once they are back on the job, on track and driving the car, the sole thing that should be rattling between their ears is just driving the car. If thoughts of the tax return, or their little girl's tooth falling out comes up, they need to push it out of the way and focus on just one thing.

Has Hamilton shown signs of being distracted or lack of focus in the past? Yes.
Has Hamilton shown signs of being distracted or lack of focus this season? I have not seen it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:55 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Has Hamilton shown signs of being distracted or lack of focus this season? I have not seen it.

The RTL reporter Florian König had a little chat with Niki Lauda at China GP (there is a special kind of a rivalry chemistry between these two funny guys, they go around the paddocks together before and after a race, interviewing everybody and giving comments on various issues). They spoke about Lewis in this regard. Lauda said that he had a long talk with Lewis regarding these issues that are of distracting nature to his racing. Florian provoked a little bit by saying that you can't take away from Lewis who he is, such stuff as his earrings, special watches, a bit of extravagance is just who he is. And Lauda replied that, sure, but there were all those other things like having his dog in the paddocks, and all different people that were accessing the paddocks through Lewis and becoming a distraction to him, and so on.

So there seems to be not a coincidence that we haven't seen the signs of Hamilton being distracted this season the way he used to be. He is apparently working on that, and with success. I see much of a positive change in him. He is even talking far less to media the way he used to talk. He appears to be serious about closing the deal this season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:10 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:

I don't know why, but some fans somehow rate the distraction. If he hangs out with rappers, that's a bad distraction. If he has a needy girlfriend, that's a bad distraction. If he gets hammered, that's a bad distraction. If he has children, that's a good distraction. The thing is, be it a driver, an athlete, or an accountant, a distraction is a distraction. The important thing is that when it comes time to focus and do the job, distractions cannot be present.

Everyone requires a break from their job, a vacation, a night at the pub, or a round at the gold course. There are some drivers who go home between races, and spend quality time with their loved ones. That is how they recharge their batteries, that is how they unwind and prepare for the next round. But the important thing, that once they are back on the job, on track and driving the car, the sole thing that should be rattling between their ears is just driving the car. If thoughts of the tax return, or their little girl's tooth falling out comes up, they need to push it out of the way and focus on just one thing.

Great post :thumbup:

I'm a little alarmed at the suggestion that F1 drivers pay tax though ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:15 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:

:thumbup:
Whenever I read the phrase "rap lifestyle" in a critical post, I think "just write black lifestyle, that's what you mean".

Kimi always gets celebrated for having a pretty wild side and I hardly ever see posts being critical of him but if Hamilton decides to mess around in a recording studio then it's suddenly the worst thing ever.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:00 pm 

Lewis got distracted far more once Ron left the team- Whitmarsh just couldnt handle him correctly.

Look at Kimi- he left Mclaren for Ferrari who said they wouldn't be so controlling, and other than the WDC he got, he never seemed to be the same driver he was at Mclaren.

I think Lewis, like Kimi, perform at their best with that controlling influence from above.
It might not be as much fun, but it got results..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:

:thumbup:
Whenever I read the phrase "rap lifestyle" in a critical post, I think "just write black lifestyle, that's what you mean".

Kimi always gets celebrated for having a pretty wild side and I hardly ever see posts being critical of him but if Hamilton decides to mess around in a recording studio then it's suddenly the worst thing ever.

Yes I have to agree with this. It is surely at least sometimes the case.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:55 pm 

What are these distractions that make/made Lewis such a bad boy/sportsman? Is he getting way too drunk on nights out? Nope (different driver). Is he fighting in clubs?? Nope (again see above bracket). Did he blackmail his team principal? Has he ever requested anything other than racing parity with any of his teammates, whoever they happen to be? Is he getting caught with prossies? Or what exactly is it? He was walking his dog round the paddock. How much time does that cost? .4 secs? He has issues with his girlfriend sometimes? So... like pretty much all of us then?

When did Lewis 'distraction' cost him a title? Would an invisible dog have made the Mercedes to eat its tyres less last year? If he had gone to church more would his McLaren have broken down less? Has he ever turned up to the paddock reeking of alcohol or having not slept enough?

He makes the occasional mistake, like any other driver from Alonso to Seb to Rosberg. Even with this years dominant car and this new found 'peace and harmony' in his life and focus, he spun his car in the dry quali in Bahrain and lost pole which could have cost him a much needed win.

I've never seen anything ever to suggest the dude is not an absolute professional. Where are the scandals? I mean the real ones. Where are the issues? But people come on here and talk like they know the guy based on pure utter speculations and non facts.

If you don't like the watch, hat and glasses and all (and most drivers wear these things by the way) then maybe you don't like that 'style'. Enjoy the action and leave them be. He is not your little brother.

The rest is just a bit of fan voyeurism.... Seb was a monster for holding up his finger after winning races, Lewis is a rapper/badboy... LOL OKAY!

Last edited by justmoi on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:56 pm 

If drivers deliver the results they can basically do whatever they want, if they don't, then the things they do outside of the car are scrutinised, fairly or not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 am 

hittheapex wrote:
If drivers deliver the results they can basically do whatever they want, if they don't, then the things they do outside of the car are scrutinised, fairly or not.

True.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:26 am 

No offense but this is just a perfect example of 'wild' speculation.

Laura23 wrote:

He spun on track because he wanted to impress a/his chic?? Wow. OK. Again, I'm sorry but I had to laugh at that. Even if some paper wrote that, I would file this away under BS.

And wasn't the end of 2012 when he was leading some races and retired due to mechanical failure. He did win in the period also iirc.

And be himself? Does someone here know Lewis personally? What is 'himself'. I think maybe Laura doesn't like 'hommies' lol

In any case, we can see how opinions of racers, personalities or let's just say celebs can be formed. It's one of the main reasons I don't personally get into all of that. They're just people and mostly no better or worse than the rest of us outside their particular field of play.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:08 am 

SWAN wrote:
Mmm cant see how he was showing off - he just went onto the curb and spun...maybe lapse of concentration...

Where did you get the video from?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:40 am 

Laura23 wrote:

I would dispute massively that his form dived in late 2012.

Singapore - retired from lead with mechanical failure
Japan - struggled with setup, finishes 5th
Korea - battled car problems all race for 10th
India - finished 4th in car inferior to Red Bulls and Alonso
Abu Dhabi - retired from lead with mechanical failure
USA - won
Brazil - retired from lead due to collision that wasn't his fault.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 am 

GingerFurball wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

USA - won

Facts have no place in a forum discussion!

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:29 am 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

USA - won

Facts have no place in a forum discussion!

lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:31 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

USA - won

Oh wow someone just got owned!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 pm 

f1madman wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

USA - won

Oh wow someone just got owned!

Yep Hamilton drove very well in 2012. Certainly no drop in form.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:15 am 

Prema wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

The RTL reporter Florian König had a little chat with Niki Lauda at China GP (there is a special kind of a rivalry chemistry between these two funny guys, they go around the paddocks together before and after a race, interviewing everybody and giving comments on various issues). They spoke about Lewis in this regard. Lauda said that he had a long talk with Lewis regarding these issues that are of distracting nature to his racing. Florian provoked a little bit by saying that you can't take away from Lewis who he is, such stuff as his earrings, special watches, a bit of extravagance is just who he is. And Lauda replied that, sure, but there were all those other things like having his dog in the paddocks, and all different people that were accessing the paddocks through Lewis and becoming a distraction to him, and so on.

So there seems to be not a coincidence that we haven't seen the signs of Hamilton being distracted this season the way he used to be. He is apparently working on that, and with success. I see much of a positive change in him. He is even talking far less to media the way he used to talk. He appears to be serious about closing the deal this season.

As far as Lauda goes, take it with a grain of salt. I respect his tenacity, devotion and all his accomplishments, but Mercedes is where they're at no thanks to much of anything he's "contributed". What we are seeing now are the fruits of Mercedes producing a very good car with a superior power plant to that of everyone else and the fact that both drivers are on their A-game (Lewis more so), and they're pretty tough to beat.

The fact that Lewis listens to a certain genre of music is of no concern TO ANYONE here or anywhere!!!
I grew up in Harlem, New York in the 80's and Rap music is engrained in my DNA and it was my preferred music for many decades until it evolved to the incomprehensible junk "look what I have" ridiculousness it has evolved into. However, I went on to finish college and speak perfect english and conduct myself in a manor that is appropriate to my surroundings, whatever they may be. If for instance, I should find myself surrounded by my friends I grew up with in NY you'd swear I was a member of the Wu-Tang Clan, however while I am at work I comport myself in a professional manor and speak properly because that is what is called for in that environment.

So just because Lewis hangs out with people like Pharel and Nicole and other famous people in the music industry does not mean a thing when he's in his office. I don't know what anyone here has heard from lewis when speaking to his team, mechanics and engineers, but every time I've heard and seen him speaking with his team he is quite articulate and has a vast knowledge that he uses to communicate to his team what's going on with the car and what all needs to be done to address certain things.

Lewis has been at this most of his life and as long as he's been driving he's been winning. I see nothing wrong with the guy.

In regards to 2012, how can ANYONE blame it on Lewis. Go back and watch all the races and count how many times his team made mistakes that cost him precious points and results. C'mon man!