planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:06 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
It's still not going to make a dent in the advantage Mercedes have. At most, they'll leapfrog into 2nd place. But Red Bull are probably bringing huge upgrades as well.

Well, its something... To expect Ferrari to match Merc with updates would be overoptimistic
Laura23 wrote:
Red Bull are bringing pretty much a new car themselves. Renault are said to have made gains agh the engine too.

What?? Aren't the engines supposed to be frozen throughout the year and can't be updated? Or can only be updated partially? This confuses me a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:09 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
It's still not going to make a dent in the advantage Mercedes have. At most, they'll leapfrog into 2nd place. But Red Bull are probably bringing huge upgrades as well.

Well, its something... To expect Ferrari to match Merc with updates would be overoptimistic
Laura23 wrote:
Red Bull are bringing pretty much a new car themselves. Renault are said to have made gains agh the engine too.

What?? Aren't the engines supposed to be frozen throughout the year and can't be updated? Or can only be updated partially? This confuses me a lot.

They are frozen. The fundamental design is frozen. They can however bring upgrades on reliability grounds and make gains in areas that aren't frozen, like software or fuel.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:02 pm 

I would not get my hopes up too much. If there were serious updates that would make a significant difference in the pipeline I doubt Stefano would have resigned.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 pm 

James14 wrote:
I would not get my hopes up too much. If there were serious updates that would make a significant difference in the pipeline I doubt Stefano would have resigned.

We are assuming that Stefano really did resign and that wasn't just company bluster for PR purposes.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:17 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
James14 wrote:

We are assuming that Stefano really did resign and that wasn't just company bluster for PR purposes.

Fair point as I believe he took the fall to save face for LdM.
But it could be said if these updates were going to be that good then SD would not have been forced to resign.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:29 pm 

James14 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
James14 wrote:

But it could be said if these updates were going to be that good then SD would not have been forced to resign.

He didn't save LdM any face, though. Stefano was an employee hired by Luca, firing him or SD resigning makes little to no difference to the main issue which was lack of progress and performance by Ferrari in the last few years.

And Stefano could have resigned for numerous reasons - pressure of the job, lack of support from within the organization, loss of motivation, realization that he wasn't doing good enough of job, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:42 am 

painless wrote:
Would that it were as simple as bolting on a copy of the supposedly advantageous part. If you've got a Reliant Robin bolting on a fourth wheel still is not going to give you mercedes-like performance.
If the fundamental packages are not compatible it ain't gonna work and so the questions then become a./ Who (if not Merc) has the best basic package? b./ is it capable of sufficiently rapid development to surpass Mercs' performance and c./ can the team utilise that development capacity(do they have the knowledge/facilities/will/internal politics)

IMHO it's not as simple as just bolting on a new part. The part has to work with the entire package. The Mercedes nose may not work as intended (by Mercedes) on another team's chassis/bodywork.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:14 am 

VDV23 wrote:
James14 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
James14 wrote:

He didn't save LdM any face, though. Stefano was an employee hired by Luca, firing him or SD resigning makes little to no difference to the main issue which was lack of progress and performance by Ferrari in the last few years.

And Stefano could have resigned for numerous reasons - pressure of the job, lack of support from within the organization, loss of motivation, realization that he wasn't doing good enough of job, etc.

It still looks better than being openly fired.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:55 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Merc wont be sitting still people!

Of course they won't but they won't have as much room to improve as the others either. Remember McLaren in 2012? They actually couldn't develop that car any more than they already had, it was as fast as it was going to go. Who knows if Merc are close to a similar position.

I doubt that Merc are maxed out already, in a new car there will always be more things that can be improved optimised. McLaren in 2012 was an established ruleset.
But definitely the further up you are the more difficult it is to go a little bit higher, so I expect the other teams will close the gap to Merc even if only slightly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:57 pm 

orion_f1 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Of course they won't but they won't have as much room to improve as the others either. Remember McLaren in 2012? They actually couldn't develop that car any more than they already had, it was as fast as it was going to go. Who knows if Merc are close to a similar position.

I doubt that Merc are maxed out already, in a new car there will always be more things that can be improved optimised. McLaren in 2012 was an established ruleset.
But definitely the further up you are the more difficult it is to go a little bit higher, so I expect the other teams will close the gap to Merc even if only slightly

Had to laugh when Martin Brundle was talking about the law of diminishing marginal returns and was just like: I don't know what that is, but I know that it's harder to improve the car.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:19 pm 

whatever these updates are, they will not guarantee results.
more & above, im sure all the other teams are updating their cars too.

I hope with all the updates, at least one team will be able to challenge the Merc's

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:03 pm 

Don't know where I read it, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Sauber said that they will gain (around) 20 kg on the engine... So I guess Ferrari will too.

Will they upgrade Raïkkonnen too ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:06 pm 

Harpo wrote:
Don't know where I read it, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Sauber said that they will gain (around) 20 kg on the engine... So I guess Ferrari will too.

Their engine is reportedly already 20KG overweight. Are you are the report you read isn't referring to that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:07 pm 

Harpo wrote:

I read that they hope to lose 20 kg with their new lightweight chassis, no one mentions anything about the engine being lighter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:12 pm 

VDV23 wrote:
Harpo wrote:

I read that they hope to lose 20 kg with their new lightweight chassis, no one mentions anything about the engine being lighter.

Thanks... reading the second hand news, I understood the engine was going to be lighter, not the chassis.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:58 am 

orion_f1 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

If you look at what Lauda stated about not wanting to win every race as it damages the sport, maybe merc are willing to stack their upgrades while teams close the gap. People have to remember this is year 1 of the new regs, there is no way the car will be anywhere near to maxed out in terms of development. The engine alone will see significant upgrades throughout the year, just because they have a package that works does not mean it cant be improved upon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:04 am 

stevey wrote:
orion_f1 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

If you look at what Lauda stated about not wanting to win every race as it damages the sport, maybe merc are willing to stack their upgrades while teams close the gap. People have to remember this is year 1 of the new regs, there is no way the car will be anywhere near to maxed out in terms of development. The engine alone will see significant upgrades throughout the year, just because they have a package that works does not mean it cant be improved upon.

I very much doubt any team would ever do that. What Lauda may say in public and what they do behind the scenes won't necessarily be the same. They are in the sport to win and they won't allow another team to jeopardise any results by allowing them to catch up at any race. If they have an update they think will work, they will use it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:17 am 

Zoue wrote:
stevey wrote:
orion_f1 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Clarky wrote:

I very much doubt any team would ever do that. What Lauda may say in public and what they do behind the scenes won't necessarily be the same. They are in the sport to win and they won't allow another team to jeopardise any results by allowing them to catch up at any race. If they have an update they think will work, they will use it.

+1
What Lauda said is a load of BS. Some of the things coming from the Merc camp of late are showing a bit of a condescending attitude which I detest. Having said that I am really glad for Hamilton's success and I really hope he bags this year's title (he's my favourite driver together with Alonso), I just wish he was driving a Mclaren not a Merc!

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd
2015 China 2nd
2015 Monza 1st

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:36 pm 

Not another software update again.

;)