planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:03 pm 

Hi guys & girls, my Chinese GP Team Mate battles are now live, a day later than usual, my cat was sick!

http://www.formulaspy.com/features/tm-s-team-mate-battles/1777-team-mate-battles-chinese-gp

Interested to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:24 pm 

Agree with everything this week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:48 pm 

I don’t understand how Vettel being on a 3-stop strategy saves him face – assuming that is the case he would need to be going quicker to make up the time for the additional pit stop. The fact he was asked to let Ricciardo through, who was going quicker and conserving tyres better, should actually reflect much worse on Vettel. While it’s amusing at the moment, I don’t expect it to continue.

Also, the fact that Hamilton had the self-control to not seek the fastest lap in my opinion marks a more dominant performance than Malaysia.

Neither of these points affect the scores – just my thoughts. Nice article, as always!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:42 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Agree with everything this week.

Stop that! I expect arguments :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:48 pm 

Good work again Otto.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:01 pm 

Shouldn't the Australia race be null & void for Red Bull?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:50 am 

pubpokerplayer wrote:
Shouldn't the Australia race be null & void for Red Bull?

Possibly actually, based on the results of the appeal. I went back and rewrote Ferrari's section post-Bahrain when news emerged that Raikkonen's chassis was apparently damaged, I might have to go back and do that for RBR in Australia. I don't think it'll change the points at all though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:20 pm 

Personally, glad to see the outcome of the Force India team battle. I was starting to think Perez was putting the pressure on Hulkenburg, but things seem to be back to the norm now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 pm 

ApatheticRiku wrote:
Personally, glad to see the outcome of the Force India team battle. I was starting to think Perez was putting the pressure on Hulkenburg, but things seem to be back to the norm now.

I think Perez is capable of matching Hulkenberg...sometimes. Overall though, Hulkenberg seems to be able to unlock performance on a more consistent basis.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:23 am 

All the guys that normally look after their tyres - Vettel, Raikkonen, Perez, etc.- are stuggling. I think they need to lean more on the tyres to get more heat into them. The cold weather of Australia and China wouldn't have helped either.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:25 am 

ottostreet wrote:
ApatheticRiku wrote:

I think Perez is capable of matching Hulkenberg...sometimes. Overall though, Hulkenberg seems to be able to unlock performance on a more consistent basis.

I completely agree.

This shouldn't mean any downfall for Perez, we all know he is capable and can even beat Hulk.
But Hulk is, in my opinion, superior, and probably superior to most others on the grid too.

Both are good drivers and F.India is arguably one of the best team lineups.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:42 am 

Nice write up as always :thumbup:

I have one issue though;

Quote:
Was Vettel really on a three stop strategy when Ricciardo came up behind him on Lap 23? Both drivers were running the same tyres, with Vettel's tyres only three laps older, and while a three stop strategy made sense at that exact time (and gave Vettel a convenient excuse to let Ricciardo through when he couldn't hold him back, thus saving face)

You aren't the only one that has been saying this either, so maybe it's something that im just not getting, but, If you were 3 stopping & your team mate is 2 stopping, wouldn't you expect to be quicker on track, not slower - I don't see how this saves face.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:43 am 

Juzzy82 wrote:
All the guys that normally look after their tyres - Vettel, Raikkonen, Perez, etc.- are stuggling. I think they need to lean more on the tyres to get more heat into them. The cold weather of Australia and China wouldn't have helped either.

All three guys with new team mates

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:59 am 

infi24r wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

That's a good point.

And these new teammates have been leading the way so far, you could argue that the above (Vettel, Raikkonen & Perez) are only pushing harder and thus wearing the tyres more too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:50 pm 

lbennie wrote:

I have one issue though;

Quote:
Was Vettel really on a three stop strategy when Ricciardo came up behind him on Lap 23? Both drivers were running the same tyres, with Vettel's tyres only three laps older, and while a three stop strategy made sense at that exact time (and gave Vettel a convenient excuse to let Ricciardo through when he couldn't hold him back, thus saving face)

You aren't the only one that has been saying this either, so maybe it's something that im just not getting, but, If you were 3 stopping & your team mate is 2 stopping, wouldn't you expect to be quicker on track, not slower - I don't see how this saves face.

It's only the pass that I mean saved him face...'Letting' Daniel through (as opposed to just being passed) because he thought he was about to pit anyway 'saved him face'. Of course, he wasn't brought in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:26 am 

infi24r wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

Yes, but if you look at the only warm qualifying and race we've had - Bahrain, all of those guys have done comparatively well against their team mates. Even in the Malaysian race, a warm one, Vettel was beating Ricciardo by a fair margin before the pit stop error.

I think what will eventually happen at RBR is that they will change the suspension geometry and setup of the car to help get more heat in the tyres for Vettel but this will also hurt Ricciardo's driving style.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:20 am 

Juzzy82 wrote:
infi24r wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

Yes, but if you look at the only warm qualifying and race we've had - Bahrain, all of those guys have done comparatively well against their team mates. Even in the Malaysian race, a warm one, Vettel was beating Ricciardo by a fair margin before the pit stop error.

I think what will eventually happen at RBR is that they will change the suspension geometry and setup of the car to help get more heat in the tyres for Vettel but this will also hurt Ricciardo's driving style.

Ricciardo out qualified Vettel by 8 positions at Bahrain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:38 am 

infi24r wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:
infi24r wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

True, but also managed to get 17 seconds further ahead of Ricciardo in the race before that pit stop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:31 am 

Juzzy82 wrote:
infi24r wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:
infi24r wrote:
Juzzy82 wrote:

True, but also managed to get 17 seconds further ahead of Ricciardo in the race before that pit stop.

That was Malaysia, in which Daniel spent the middle stint on the prime tyre while Vettel ran softs exaggerating the gap.

At Bahrain despite a 10 grid penalty Ricciardo beat Vettel in the race by something like 6 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:36 pm 

Thanks for this objective analysis of the races team/team and driver/driver - just so you know it's appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:37 pm 

Thanks for this objective analysis of the races team/team and driver/driver - just so you know it's appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:46 pm 

Glad you enjoy! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 am 

ottostreet wrote:
lbennie wrote:

I have one issue though;

Quote:

It's only the pass that I mean saved him face...'Letting' Daniel through (as opposed to just being passed) because he thought he was about to pit anyway 'saved him face'. Of course, he wasn't brought in.

Ah yes, I get it now.

Keep up the good work matey :thumbup: