planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Vettel's future
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:53 pm 

AnRs wrote:
Chunky wrote:
The "top" drivers have all very little scope for movement in the top teams.

Alonso cost Uncle Ron $100M, so he would be persona non grata at McLaren. He would never be acceptable at RBR as a competitor to Vettel - Uncle Marko wouldn't want his wunderkind outclassed. At least, no worse than Ricciardo is doing this year.

Vettel has nothing to offer Ferrari that Kimi doesn't already give and he'd be insane to share the hen house with Alonso. The next new driver at McLaren will be Japanese or from a country that Honda is focussed upon. This will be the price of the engine deal. It rules Vettel out and I don't remember Ron ever having much complimentary to say about him anyway.

The only option is Mercedes if Nico bombed out (he won't). A "German" team, blah, blah. Hamilton would demolish him.

I would rather say your "Uncle Ron" costed Alonso 2 WDC, both in 2007 and 2008 if he stayed on.

First you base your argument on Japan business but then when it's German you go bla- bla, a bit off both sides perhaps?

F1 is marketing and money and that goes for Germany too, it's Mercedes who pays the bills.

Ron may not have made the best job of handling things but no-one forced Alonso to throw his toys out of the pram. Alonso can't blame anyone but himself for how things turned out at McLaren. I don't think it will affect his chances now BTW as I believe he's good enough that even Ron won't let history stand in his way.

I agree that Vettel's options are limited at Mercedes unless there's an issue / falling out with either Lewis or Nico. If it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind. Which means I don't see Seb going anywhere soon as RBR are the second best team at the moment anyway.

In fact, I was going to go on and analyse other teams but in the end I think Vettel's options for next year will be determined by how he copes this year. If he gets his mojo back and comes out on top in the team, then why would he want to go anywhere else (bar Mercedes)? Ferrari, even if it was an option, are not setting the world alight and McLaren are a bit of a gamble now especially as their engine is a completely unknown quantity. And if he doesn't, well, his bargaining power will be greatly reduced. He'll still be in demand but he won't be indispensible.

I don't think nationality or marketing comes into it at the very top. The best drivers will always be in demand irrespective of background. Top teams want a driver first and marketability second, since winning will bring its own marketing rewards. It's only when you go further down the grid that compromises have to be made.

Post subject: Re: Vettel's future
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:37 pm 

AnRs wrote:
Chunky wrote:
The "top" drivers have all very little scope for movement in the top teams.

Alonso cost Uncle Ron $100M, so he would be persona non grata at McLaren. He would never be acceptable at RBR as a competitor to Vettel - Uncle Marko wouldn't want his wunderkind outclassed. At least, no worse than Ricciardo is doing this year.

Vettel has nothing to offer Ferrari that Kimi doesn't already give and he'd be insane to share the hen house with Alonso. The next new driver at McLaren will be Japanese or from a country that Honda is focussed upon. This will be the price of the engine deal. It rules Vettel out and I don't remember Ron ever having much complimentary to say about him anyway.

The only option is Mercedes if Nico bombed out (he won't). A "German" team, blah, blah. Hamilton would demolish him.

I would rather say your "Uncle Ron" costed Alonso 2 WDC, both in 2007 and 2008 if he stayed on.

First you base your argument on Japan business but then when it's German you go bla- bla, a bit off both sides perhaps?

F1 is marketing and money and that goes for Germany too, it's Mercedes who pays the bills.

2007, 2008 - I seriously wonder what planet you're on. All Alonso had to do was keep his head down and his gob shut and he'd have had a crack at both of them.

Japan - it's happened before, (as it has with Renault engines at Williams) and chances are it will happen again. Probably to the detriment of Button.

Germany - German team, another German driver, excellent cultural fit with senior part of team, great for the parent company. etc. The only potential drawback would be that he came through the Red Bull programme not the Mercedes/DTM route. Or, blah, blah as I said. But Nico isn't going to bomb out and in the very slim chance he could get replaced by Vettel he'd get mullered by Hamilton. QED.

I may be wrong about - Alonso