planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:06 pm 

Sometimes, as the title suggests, I have a silly question or two which doesn't really seem worthy of its own thread.... And I sort of borrowed this idea from Autosport forum.
I'll get the ball rolling.

In qualifying, would a driver get away with doing a Nico?
e.g. cut the chicane on on your out lap to carry more speed down the start finish straight on your hot lap?

Obviously not many tracks apart from Canada where that would work anyway, but would the result stand?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:23 pm 

Rekonizakilla wrote:
Sometimes, as the title suggests, I have a silly question or two which doesn't really seem worthy of its own thread.... And I sort of borrowed this idea from Autosport forum.

e.g. cut the chicane on on your out lap to carry more speed down the start finish straight on your hot lap?

Obviously not many tracks apart from Canada where that would work anyway, but would the result stand?

Firstly, there's a thread like this already... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9206

To answer you: no, the result wouldn't stand. In some cases it's allowed to run fully outside the track but that's only in corners where the driver cuts far to the inside. For example Hamilton in his Spa 2013 pole lap at Eau Rouge (the right-hander). Technically he was in the wrong there but he kept pole nonetheless.

But for something as obvious as cutting a chicane, nope.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:30 pm 

If the chicane was cut on the lap preceding the timed lap then on what grounds could they disqualify the timed lap? Does the "...lasting advantage..." rule apply in quali as well?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm 

Has anyone kept on the inside line in Canada before? We saw Nico do it through qualifying this year, but I don't remember seeing it before. I did it on F1 2013 today and it gained me at least a 0.1s, and although it's only a game, and I don't get the offline dust, but for a final lap of a quali run, it's a no brainer. I don't remember seeing anyone do it before.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:38 pm 

As silly questions go...
Rekonizakilla wrote:
I sort of borrowed this idea from Autosport forum.
When do you have to give it back? :?

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:42 pm 

I think its subjective, i have a vague recollection of Frentzen having his qualy lap nulified in Germany way way back when it was just straights and chicanes (The classic Hockenheim) because everyone went out for there quick lap and he and another driver i think maybe Fisichella cut one of teh chicanes to get a better place on track in front of others who had taken the actual route through the chicane.

As for driving to the line ala Rosberg in Canada... havent they been doing that for years? I know i have been on my F1 games same as in Malaysia you take the shortest route to the finish line to save a tenth...

Also why are they called Chicanes? I mean who looked at an "S" bend and went... "I shall name it thusly! A Chicane!"

3) McLaren to score at least 1 point... but to spend the season fighting with Manor-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:49 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Has anyone kept on the inside line in Canada before? We saw Nico do it through qualifying this year, but I don't remember seeing it before. I did it on F1 2013 today and it gained me at least a 0.1s, and although it's only a game, and I don't get the offline dust, but for a final lap of a quali run, it's a no brainer. I don't remember seeing anyone do it before.

Are you talking about the kink at the end of the lap? Yeah, the racing line is on the outside of the start of that, but one would usually see drivers staying on the inside for the shortest distance to the line. I think you're thinking of this because Lewis Hamilton got a tow off the car ahead who was on the racing line, so it probably made up for the extra one or two car lengths.

These topics seem to come and go and disappear every 10 months or so lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:10 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:

Yes, I've seen that done many times at Canada in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:12 pm 

CanadianDan wrote:
I think its subjective, i have a vague recollection of Frentzen having his qualy lap nulified in Germany way way back when it was just straights and chicanes (The classic Hockenheim) because everyone went out for there quick lap and he and another driver i think maybe Fisichella cut one of teh chicanes to get a better place on track in front of others who had taken the actual route through the chicane.

As for driving to the line ala Rosberg in Canada... havent they been doing that for years? I know i have been on my F1 games same as in Malaysia you take the shortest route to the finish line to save a tenth...

Also why are they called Chicanes? I mean who looked at an "S" bend and went... "I shall name it thusly! A Chicane!"

I take it you're not from the French speaking part of Canada?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:14 pm 

mds wrote:
Rekonizakilla wrote:

Firstly, there's a thread like this already... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9206

To answer you: no, the result wouldn't stand. In some cases it's allowed to run fully outside the track but that's only in corners where the driver cuts far to the inside. For example Hamilton in his Spa 2013 pole lap at Eau Rouge (the right-hander). Technically he was in the wrong there but he kept pole nonetheless.

But for something as obvious as cutting a chicane, nope.

My mistake. Guess this might get locked then. Fwiw, I was specifically talking about the out lap as flyboy says.

@Fiki. I knew someone might say that, but didn't expect it so soon. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 pm 

I haven't noticed a recent silly question thread so I have no objection to one. However, I think calling it an official silly question thread is a bit premature and perhaps we should defer to P-F1 Mod to decide whether 'official' is to be allowed!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:27 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
CanadianDan wrote:

I take it you're not from the French speaking part of Canada?

You are correct... i am from the English speaking part of England :nod: I just happen to be in Canada for this part of my life :)

3) McLaren to score at least 1 point... but to spend the season fighting with Manor-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:04 pm 

Thanks for the responses re: Montreal :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:07 pm 

CanadianDan wrote:

Because it looks like a chicken's neck ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-57Thiyvy8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:07 pm 

Mod_Turquoise wrote:
I haven't noticed a recent silly question thread so I have no objection to one. However, I think calling it an official silly question thread is a bit premature and perhaps we should defer to P-F1 Mod to decide whether 'official' is to be allowed!

I will allow the officialness of the thread to stand. I would also merge with the other silly questions thread but it seems it's a fair few pages away from the front and I can't shortcut that when merging so I'll be lazy.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:12 am 

CanadianDan wrote:

It's from the French 'chicane' meaning 'quibble', later 'chicanerie' (chicanery).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:58 am 

I have a silly question. Why do we have silly coloured Mods now :s aqua and turquoise ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:00 am 

Usman wrote:
I have a silly question. Why do we have silly coloured Mods now :s aqua and turquoise ?

Oi! I love the colours Aqua and Turquoise! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:28 am 

Rekonizakilla wrote:
Fwiw, I was specifically talking about the out lap as flyboy says.

I missed that :)

It still wouldn't stand though, courtesy of article 20.2 in the sporting regulations:

Quote:
20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the
track.
Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is
safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the race
director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he
gained by leaving the track.
A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.

This article is a general one. It is not specific for the race.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:30 am 

Usman wrote:

At the most recent PF1 Moderating QGM I brought up the motion that the next name should be "Mod_Bubblegum", but was defeated 9-2 in the votes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:39 am 

Mod_Orange wrote:
Usman wrote:

At the most recent PF1 Moderating QGM I brought up the motion that the next name should be "Mod_Bubblegum", but was defeated 9-2 in the votes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdfRRtAs3o

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:44 am 

mds wrote:
Rekonizakilla wrote:
Fwiw, I was specifically talking about the out lap as flyboy says.

I missed that :)

It still wouldn't stand though, courtesy of article 20.2 in the sporting regulations:

Quote:
20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the
track.
Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is
safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the race
director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he
gained by leaving the track.
A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.

This article is a general one. It is not specific for the race.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:52 am 

Mod_Orange wrote:
Usman wrote:

Too risky (though chewing a Mod could be risky too). This brings another silly question : Why didn't you try "Mod_us Ponens" and "Mod_us Tollens", one of them would always be right when the other is wrong, so mods would always win the argument (I mean without needing to use the stick) ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:02 pm 

Usman wrote:

It took ages to sort the colour Turquoise, and I didn't think I was being the slightest bit silly! :x

In hindsight, I wish we could change the theme to the seven dwarfs. Trust me, I'd be choosing Mod Grumpy right now! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:13 pm 

Mod_Orange wrote:
Usman wrote:

Why not mod banana?

Thats fruitist that is

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:04 pm 

Mod_Turquoise wrote:
Usman wrote:

It took ages to sort the colour Turquoise, and I didn't think I was being the slightest bit silly! :x

In hindsight, I wish we could change the theme to the seven dwarfs. Trust me, I'd be choosing Mod Grumpy right now! :lol:

There are plenty of Grumpy Mods............in all seriousness you could be the only Tuquoise Mod in the world!!! :nod:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:55 pm 

Mod_Orange wrote:
Usman wrote:

Out of 9 of us? :P

We ran out of colours, basically. Red was removed due to lack of use, but it would still be someone else taking on an old moniker. Pink and Blue both have certain controversy against them. And Guia gave us a nice list of colours which will probably be getting used in a few mods' time.

We would have used numbers but I didn't want people to think there was any pecking order in the mods: we are all equal [though the buck stops with me] and I didn't want something to suggest otherwise. Colours were the logical move from that.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:11 am 

Not sure this is a silly question, but for want of a better place to ask it here goes.

During Rosberg and Schumacher’s time as team-mates, did Schumacher take Rosberg under his wing as his protégé, mentoring him if you like. Or was his will to win so great, he would offer little advice to Rosberg to improve his chances of victory come race day. I assume this must've come up in interviews during their time together or after – curious if anyone knows?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:26 am 

There should be a mod with all the colours. Mod Rainbow :D

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Mod_Orange wrote:
Usman wrote:

Out of 9 of us? :P

We ran out of colours, basically. Red was removed due to lack of use, but it would still be someone else taking on an old moniker. Pink and Blue both have certain controversy against them. And Guia gave us a nice list of colours which will probably be getting used in a few mods' time.

We would have used numbers but I didn't want people to think there was any pecking order in the mods: we are all equal [though the buck stops with me] and I didn't want something to suggest otherwise. Colours were the logical move from that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:

When you run out of colours, try the smells...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:17 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
WHoff78 wrote:
Not sure this is a silly question, but for want of a better place to ask it here goes.

During Rosberg and Schumacher’s time as team-mates, did Schumacher take Rosberg under his wing as his protégé, mentoring him if you like. Or was his will to win so great, he would offer little advice to Rosberg to improve his chances of victory come race day. I assume this must've come up in interviews during their time together or after – curious if anyone knows?

Not sure anyone can really answer this fully. But based on what we know of Schumy, racers in general, and what the journos observed, I'd be surprised if he went out of his way to help him. Rosberg was an established driver at the time, had an edge anyway, and as his teammate was his fiercest rival. Schumy mentored Massa but the circumstances were different. He knew he was winding down his career, Massa needed the help, Schumy was confident he was still quicker and, crucially, Massa wanted to be mentored. I doubt Rosberg would have wanted that sort of relationship with a teammate, especially one he was beating. That's all just my guess though.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:38 pm 

Harpo wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

I would like to announce that next mod application I will be applying as Mod_Overcooked_Cabbage_and_Chicken_Bisto.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Harpo wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

I would like to announce that next mod application I will be applying as Mod_Overcooked_Cabbage_and_Chicken_Bisto.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:36 pm 

i have a feeling we should go on to the next silly question... so here we go: With the power of the new engines effectively restricted by both - fuel flow rate and over-all fuel limit and the ers restricted to 33s and 160bhp, wouldn't it be more interesting to have different concepts? i'd love to see lighter and smaller i4 engines compete with the v6's ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:36 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:38 pm 

i get an access denied for that pic, but from the url i have an idea what it should look like :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:22 pm 

I have lot of silly questions..

What kinda procedure did Hamilton get done to regrow his hair?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:59 pm 

I'm sure glad this thread was created. Now there will be much fewer frivolous threads on the main page! #wishfulthinking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:16 pm 

ManojHS wrote:
I have lot of silly questions..

What kinda procedure did Hamilton get done to regrow his hair?

Did he stop shaving it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:27 pm 

At the Cinema which arm rest is yours?