planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:44 pm 

Has there ever been any thought to a Supplier Championship? In addition to the Drivers and Constructors Championships, I believe adding a Suppliers Championship would add more excitement to the sport and fix many of it’s problems. The engine is the most important part of a car and perhaps the only part needed in a Supplier Championship. Other parts could be added later. Here is an example of how it might work for the engine supplier championship:

1. An engine manufacturer would receive points for the first 4 finishing cars that use its engine. A manufacturer can supply it’s engines to more than 4 cars, but only the first 4 finishers would receive Supplier Championship points. This would encourage engine manufactures to supply it’s teams with the latest spec engines and maybe even help them with overall car development. In turn, this would make for closer and more exciting races. Instead of being afraid of teams like Red Bull, engine manufacturer would be fighting to supply engines to Red Bull. This may even lower the cost of engines.

2. The point structure would need to be changed so points are awarded to all places. That way even the last place team could affect the Supplier Championship. Again, this would encourage the larger works teams to help the smaller teams. Teams would also be less likely to retire a car to save an engine when all places receive points. I would suggest a fractal point system based on fibonacci numbers with 1st place receiving 100 points. For those not familiar with fibonacci numbers, every number in the sequence is equal to the sum of the previous two. Below is an example of what the points might look like (note: fractions may be off a little due to rounding errors).

1st 100.0000
2nd 61.8047
3rd 38.1982
4th 23.6083
5th 14.5910
6th 9.0179
7th 5.5735
8th 3.4447
9th 2.1290
10th 1.3158
11th 0.8132
12th 0.5026
13th 0.3106
14th 0.1920
15th 0.1187
16th 0.0733
17th 0.0453
18th 0.0280
19th 0.0173
20th 0.0107
21st 0.0066
22nd 0.0041

3. (optional) Award additional engine development tokens to the losers of the Supplier Championship to allow their engines to catch up the following year. Say 1st place receive 0 additional tokens, 2nd place receive 5 tokens, 3rd place 10 tokens, etc. When all manufactures agree they are on par with each other, this can be eliminated. I say this is optional because a works teams could intentional pair with a weak team to lose the Supplier Championship on purpose so it could gain more tokens to help it win the Constructors Championship the next year.

I believe a Supplier Championship would make the sport much more exciting and solve many of it’s current problems. Smaller teams would receive much needed funds from the revised point structure and potentially lower cost engines. The engine manufacturer would receive additional money from the supplier championship and free advertising every time their name is mentioned. New manufactures may even join the field. Mid-level teams would likely be more competitive and win more frequently. Where would the extra money come from for this new championship? I’m not sure, but it would be a great investment in the future of the sport. It may not have to be much anyways as the publicity of winning may be enough of a reward.

What are your thoughts on this idea? Do you think it would work? What other part would you add?

Comments and/or criticism welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:53 am 

From a mod's perspective, those divisions in the scores are very difficult to remember, which would lead to a lot of confusion about this sort of championship. The reason I say it from this perspective rather than my regular one is simple: seeing whole threads boil down to two or three members trying to work out how Ferrari have 673.785 points, or if it is in fact 673.758, would be migraine-inducing for everyone. That in turn would render the championship a farce, I'm afraid. That said, the principle is interesting.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:13 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. If we had to memorize or calculate the fractions, I would agree. I think the fractions would be dropped off in casual conversation and only mentioned when the score is close or what placing is needed to overtake another.

I first thought of a fibonacci number based scoring system as an alternative to Bernie Ecclestone's ridiculous gold medal system he proposed several years ago. I think another benefit to fibonacci numbers is that all championships would likely be determined later in the season and it would take longer to mathematically eliminate a driver/team/supplier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:37 pm 

Just a brief sentence to say the work and creativity you have invested is certainly appreciated :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:20 pm 

While I appreciate the work you've put in, I don't see the value in a supplier championship for the following reasons:

- The goal for engines is that development will be frozen in a couple of years, so what would the championship reward?
    - There are many things which influence a car's performance. Engines are only one component. Witness the huge disparity in results between Mercedes AMG and Lotus. The current WCC recognises that.
    - The existing titles are to a greater extent within the control of the teams and drivers they reward. Tactics and strategy are often determined around them. I don't see why e.g. Force India would base their strategy for a race with an eye on rewarding their engine partner. What would be the incentive for them?

Don't mean to be negative, but I can't really see how it would work in practice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:41 pm 

Zoue wrote:
While I appreciate the work you've put in, I don't see the value in a supplier championship for the following reasons:

- The goal for engines is that development will be frozen in a couple of years, so what would the championship reward?
    - There are many things which influence a car's performance. Engines are only one component. Witness the huge disparity in results between Mercedes AMG and Lotus. The current WCC recognises that.
    - The existing titles are to a greater extent within the control of the teams and drivers they reward. Tactics and strategy are often determined around them. I don't see why e.g. Force India would base their strategy for a race with an eye on rewarding their engine partner. What would be the incentive for them?

Don't mean to be negative, but I can't really see how it would work in practice.

1. Maybe it would’t work with an engine freeze, but even with an engine freeze I understand manufactures can still update their engines for reliability and cost purposes. Engine manufactures would still want to win this for bragging rights and any prize money that comes with it. And because of that, the would likely be in a bidding war to supply engines to the second tier teams, which would reduce costs.

2. True. Because of this and the fact the manufactures wouldn’t control their destiny for an engine supplier championship, the drivers and constructors championships would still be more prestigious. As I mentioned though, the other components like chassis, transmission, brakes, etc could be added (I realize supplying the chassis is controversial). It would probably work better as separate part supplier championships than one overall one. That way teams would be free to chose different suppliers for each part.

3. I would never expect Force India to adjust their race strategy to help their engine partner. They would only be racing for points or fractions of a point for their own team (those fractions would add up by end of year). Force India would benefit from presumably lower cost engines, later spec engine (faster), possibly some unsolicited advice from the engine manufacture, and maybe a killer end of year celebration party.

I freely admit I may be a little naive with this idea and it may never work, but it’s fun the think about. If Red Bull were running latest spec Ferrari or Mercedes engines next year, I would be more excited about next year. I am not necessarily a Red Bull fan, but enjoy exciting races. With a Supplier Championship, I think I would be excited every year.

Thanks for you input. It’s appreciated.