planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:54 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 1027
21 is a strange number. How about 24 - absolute maximum.
What nations or continents to visit?
Some countries have only 1 suitable circuit, some have more. So rotation on a bi annual basis?
I would go back to Kyalami if only just to tick a box that the continent of Africa has a GP.

The following circuits are set in stone:
Britain (Silverstone)
Italy (Monza)
Belgium (Spa)
Monaco (monte carlo) - I hate the place, but cannot deny its historic value in F1.
Canada (Montreal)
Brazil (Interlagos)
Japan (Suzuka)

What circuits currently would you bin in a second given a chance?
Abu Dhabi
While Russia aint great, there has been at least one good race there. Abu Dhabi has never had one.

I would revert to having Australia as the last race of the season. In recent years its not been great and is a disappointing opener.

It would make more sense to have the races all clumped together as much as possible. I would say USA should get a 2nd GP to boost the sport there. A proper circuit, not a fantasty race like New Jersey would have been. Is Indy still suitable?

2021 Calendar Proposal:

1 - Brazil (Interlagos)
2 - Argentina (Buenos Aires)
3 - Mexico (Mexico City)
4 - South Africa (Kyalami)
5 - Bahrain (Sakhir)
6 - Spain (Barcelona)
7 - Monaco (Monte Carlo)
8 - France (Paul Ricard)
9 - Britain (Silverstone)
10 - Germany (Hockeheim/Nuburgring alternate)
11 - Austria (Red Bull Ring)
12 - Canada (Montreal)
13 - USA 1 (Indianapolis)
14 - USA 2 (Austin)
15 - Netherlands (Zandoort)
16 - Belgium (Spa)
17 - Hungary
18 - Italy (Monza)
19 - Asia GP (alternate - vietnam, another japanese, another chinese etc)
20 - China
21 - Singapore
22 - Malaysia
23 - Japan (Suzuka)
24 - Australia (Melbourne)


Ok im bored in work lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:05 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 15999
How much fantasy can we go into here? Do you want us to go total fantasy E.G Nurbergring, street circuit going past by house etc or pick from tracks that are or at least have the realistic potential to be brought up to standard for F1?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am
Posts: 309
Location: Suffolk, UK
I'd like to see Istanbul back again. It was a great track.
As was Sepang.
Money put paid to both I think. I assume that's not a problem here?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6866
I like the OP's list but I would drop Australia and end the season at Suzuka (best place to end a season). I would also drop Monaco, Paul Riccard and Zandvoort. Maybe bring back Magny Cours to give the french a race and perhaps find a better venue for Netherlands (Zandvoort will not produce good racing). I'd also include Istanbul, Shanghai and Fuji.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 2806
Location: England
Istanbul got nixed because they played silly *inaudible* with the podium trophy presenters in a politicised manner, and that's one of the few things that never, ever goes down well with the FIA. See also: Jerez.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2019:
Current positon: 13th | 3 Podiums | 4 Wins
2018 Pick 10 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3432
You have to drop Spain, always awful.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7330
Location: Michigan, USA
Flash2k11 wrote:
Istanbul got nixed because they played silly *inaudible* with the podium trophy presenters in a politicised manner, and that's one of the few things that never, ever goes down well with the FIA. See also: Jerez.

Doesn't seem to have kept Russia from returning...

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:16 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 15999
F1_Ernie wrote:
You have to drop Spain, always awful.


It is being dropped I think ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:40 am
Posts: 174
I think the FIA should rethink the date of the US GP. They have it in the Fall on a Sunday which is in direct competition with football (real football not soccer lol). F1 will always lose to football in America.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:44 am 
Online

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7688
I was entertaining the idea of having one GP twice in a year. An exciting one, like say Spa. Once in the beginning of the season and once near the end, to see how the cars and the pecking order has evolved through the year.

Then I realised it is probably a crap idea!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:21 am 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 15999
So this is a calendar built using my favourite tracks I have seen F1 racing on.

1. Australia (Melbourne)
2. Malaysia (Sepang)
3. Brazil (Interlagos)
4. Argentina (Buenos Aries)
5. Monaco (Monte Carlo)
6. Britain (Silverstone)
7. Austria (Red Bull Ring)
8. Belgium (Spa)
9. Canada (Montreal)
10. USA (Austin)
11. Germany (Nurbergring)
12. Hungary (Hungaroring)
13. Portugal (Estoril)
14. Italy (Monza)
15. Azerbaijan (Baku)
16. South Korea (Yeongman)
17. Singapore (Marina Bay)
18. China (Shanghai)
19. Japan (Suzuka)
20. Australia (Adelaide)

I've tried to design the calendar to give us some wet races.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am
Posts: 309
Location: Suffolk, UK
mikeyg123 wrote:
So this is a calendar built using my favourite tracks I have seen F1 racing on.

1. Australia (Melbourne)
2. Malaysia (Sepang)
3. Brazil (Interlagos)
4. Argentina (Buenos Aries)
5. Monaco (Monte Carlo)
6. Britain (Silverstone)
7. Austria (Red Bull Ring)
8. Belgium (Spa)
9. Canada (Montreal)
10. USA (Austin)
11. Germany (Nurbergring)
12. Hungary (Hungaroring)
13. Portugal (Estoril)
14. Italy (Monza)
15. Azerbaijan (Baku)
16. South Korea (Yeongman)
17. Singapore (Marina Bay)
18. China (Shanghai)
19. Japan (Suzuka)
20. Australia (Adelaide)

I've tried to design the calendar to give us some wet races.


Do you mean the old 70's Buenos Aires? I'd go for that! The short 90's version was very slow and dull, and only used a couple of times I think.
If we're getting onto pre 90's circuits my list would include the old Osterreichring, Kyalami, Brands Hatch, Adelaide, Imola. Maybe that needs a new thread though...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 15999
tim3003 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
So this is a calendar built using my favourite tracks I have seen F1 racing on.

1. Australia (Melbourne)
2. Malaysia (Sepang)
3. Brazil (Interlagos)
4. Argentina (Buenos Aries)
5. Monaco (Monte Carlo)
6. Britain (Silverstone)
7. Austria (Red Bull Ring)
8. Belgium (Spa)
9. Canada (Montreal)
10. USA (Austin)
11. Germany (Nurbergring)
12. Hungary (Hungaroring)
13. Portugal (Estoril)
14. Italy (Monza)
15. Azerbaijan (Baku)
16. South Korea (Yeongman)
17. Singapore (Marina Bay)
18. China (Shanghai)
19. Japan (Suzuka)
20. Australia (Adelaide)

I've tried to design the calendar to give us some wet races.


Do you mean the old 70's Buenos Aires? I'd go for that! The short 90's version was very slow and dull, and only used a couple of times I think.
If we're getting onto pre 90's circuits my list would include the old Osterreichring, Kyalami, Brands Hatch, Adelaide, Imola. Maybe that needs a new thread though...


The 1990s one which I quite liked. I needed another slow and technical circuit to balance up the calendar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 3842
I was looking at tracks that historically hosted F1 the other night, and I put together a 28-race list. I haven't ordered them at all, but here it is:

Estoril
Imola
Mexico City
Interlagos
Buenos Aires
Monza
AVUS
Baku
Bremgarten
Spa
Monaco
Montreal
COTA
Zandvoort
Jarama
Fuji
Long Beach
Hockenheim
Indianapolis
Istanbul
Kyalami
Singapore
Albert Park
Red Bull Ring
Sepang
Silverstone
Suzuka
Watkins Glen

AVUS, and maybe Bremgarten, are no longer viable. But otherwise the rest could theoretically be made F1-ready. I'd also love to add Laguna Seca to that list.

_________________
Forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14979

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 88
Get rid of Australia, Spain, Singapore, Abu Dhabi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 1027
Signapore should stay imo, and it should be the unique night race. Bahrain could be a 'twilight' race.
Abu Dhabi is absolute pants and always has been.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 283
1. Australia
2. Malaysia
3. China
4. Suzuka
5. Singapore
6. Abu Dhabi
7. Baku

8. Nuburgring
9. Silverstone
10. Monza
11. Hungary
12. Spain
13. France
14. Belgium

15. USA Indianapolis
16. Interlagos
17. Mexico City
18. USA COTA
19. Argentina
20. Canada
21. USA Laguna Seca

Series then has a Euro champion, Americas champion and Asia/Oceania champion to go with the overall champion

**Edit** Switched Argentina and Long Beach around to balance out the US events, and stop my eye twitching.

**Edit** Swapped Long Beach with COTA


Last edited by Charles LeBrad on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 1027
Charles LeBrad wrote:
1. Australia
2. Malaysia
3. China
4. Suzuka
5. Singapore
6. Abu Dhabi
7. Baku

8. Nuburgring
9. Silverstone
10. Monza
11. Hungary
12. Spain
13. France
14. Belgium

15. USA Indianapolis
16. Interlagos
17. Mexico City
18. Argentina
19. USA Long Beach
20. Canada
21. USA Laguna Seca

Series then has a Euro champion, Americas champion and Asia/Oceania champion to go with the overall champion



I like that idea.
I like it a lot.
Send it to Chase!! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7812
Location: Belgium
Siao7 wrote:
I was entertaining the idea of having one GP twice in a year. An exciting one, like say Spa. Once in the beginning of the season and once near the end, to see how the cars and the pecking order has evolved through the year.

Then I realised it is probably a crap idea!
Not necessarily, but the most important consideration would be the weather. The beginning of the season is too early; this year in early May, I was licking the snow off my lips and seeing the air temperature drop to 1°C during the WEC race... Which reminds me that on coming back to the renovated and shortened Francorchamps, the F1 race used to be in May. But I suppose Kimi might like to race in the snow!

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 pm
Posts: 711
I notice 2 or 3 of you have Austin following Montreal in June & 1 of you even has it in mid-late July.

LOL, noooo. I mean, to us locals there would be a certain entertainment value in it all, but for the F1 folks and few fans that would still make the trek from out of state, it would be absolutely brutal.

Vettel Fan wrote:
I think the FIA should rethink the date of the US GP. They have it in the Fall on a Sunday which is in direct competition with football (real football not soccer lol). F1 will always lose to football in America.


When, then? Most of the spring and all of summer is far too hot in Austin.

_________________
On Twitter, follow me @GPAmericas for all the latest breaking news and current photos...


Last edited by hairy_scotsman on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 pm
Posts: 711
Charles LeBrad wrote:
1. Australia
2. Malaysia
3. China
4. Suzuka
5. Singapore
6. Abu Dhabi
7. Baku

8. Nuburgring
9. Silverstone
10. Monza
11. Hungary
12. Spain
13. France
14. Belgium

15. USA Indianapolis
16. Interlagos
17. Mexico City
18. USA Long Beach
19. Argentina
20. Canada
21. USA Laguna Seca

Series then has a Euro champion, Americas champion and Asia/Oceania champion to go with the overall champion

**Edit** Switched Argentina and Long Beach around to balance out the US events, and stop my eye twitching.


I thought for a while that this kind of regional setup was what Bernie was lining up before he left ... Europe, Americas, & basically everything else. I notice you also left COTA out but included 3 GPs in the U.S. Not necessarily a bad thing imho, even though I'm in Austin. IIRC the U.S. is also the only country ever to hold 3 GPs in a season.

_________________
On Twitter, follow me @GPAmericas for all the latest breaking news and current photos...


Last edited by hairy_scotsman on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:10 am
Posts: 112
Only think I know for sure is, I'd ditch Melbourne and replace it with Philip Island or Tailem Bend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 283
hairy_scotsman wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:
1. Australia
2. Malaysia
3. China
4. Suzuka
5. Singapore
6. Abu Dhabi
7. Baku

8. Nuburgring
9. Silverstone
10. Monza
11. Hungary
12. Spain
13. France
14. Belgium

15. USA Indianapolis
16. Interlagos
17. Mexico City
18. USA Long Beach
19. Argentina
20. Canada
21. USA Laguna Seca

Series then has a Euro champion, Americas champion and Asia/Oceania champion to go with the overall champion

**Edit** Switched Argentina and Long Beach around to balance out the US events, and stop my eye twitching.


I thought for a while that this kind of regional setup was what Bernie was lining up before he left ... Europe, Americas, & basically everything else. I notice you also left COTA out but included 3 GPs in the U.S. Not necessarily a bad thing imho, even though I'm in Austin. IIRC the U.S. is also the only country ever to hold 3 GPs in a season.


I knew something wasn’t right! Editing to swap Long Beach with COTA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 283
Glasnost wrote:
Only think I know for sure is, I'd ditch Melbourne and replace it with Philip Island or Tailem Bend.


PI would be awesome. I think it would look great on Tele also


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 pm
Posts: 711
Charles LeBrad wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:
1. Australia
2. Malaysia
3. China
4. Suzuka
5. Singapore
6. Abu Dhabi
7. Baku

8. Nuburgring
9. Silverstone
10. Monza
11. Hungary
12. Spain
13. France
14. Belgium

15. USA Indianapolis
16. Interlagos
17. Mexico City
18. USA Long Beach
19. Argentina
20. Canada
21. USA Laguna Seca

Series then has a Euro champion, Americas champion and Asia/Oceania champion to go with the overall champion

**Edit** Switched Argentina and Long Beach around to balance out the US events, and stop my eye twitching.


I thought for a while that this kind of regional setup was what Bernie was lining up before he left ... Europe, Americas, & basically everything else. I notice you also left COTA out but included 3 GPs in the U.S. Not necessarily a bad thing imho, even though I'm in Austin. IIRC the U.S. is also the only country ever to hold 3 GPs in a season.


I knew something wasn’t right! Editing to swap Long Beach with COTA

I thought it was fine as you wrote it ... or maybe swap LB with the Glen, if anything.

_________________
On Twitter, follow me @GPAmericas for all the latest breaking news and current photos...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:39 am
Posts: 797
I did a race calendar on the BBC F1 site once and it was fun to do,

I would like Singapore to be the season opener!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FormulaFun, lucifers, mikeyg123, MistaVega23, Siao7 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group