planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:24 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
I wasn't sure if this goes here, or in the feeder series thread...

https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/12/20/ ... nce-rules/

Revisions to the Formula One super licence rules will make it harder for drivers who have not participated in Formula Two to take part in practice sessions.

From the 2018 F1 season new free practice super licences will only be issued to drivers who have done either six Formula Two events or gathered 25 superlicence points during the previous three years.

Thoughts? It seems awfully pointless to me. If they want to restrict the ability of pay drivers to do FP sessions, why not base it solely on superlicense points? Why the arbitrary number of six F2 events?

Any system that would have restricted the like's of Russell from completing a mid season test but welcomes Gelael with open arms is clearly not setup for sporting reasons.

Yet more garbage from Todt.

Yeah I don't see the logic either, anyone with enough money can compete if F2 and then despite how poor your results you get a F1 FP testing license, that's not sorting the wheat from the chaff.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

Last edited by pokerman on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:26 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Revisions to the Formula One super licence rules will make it harder for drivers who have not participated in Formula Two to take part in practice sessions.

From the 2018 F1 season new free practice super licences will only be issued to drivers who have done either six Formula Two events or gathered 25 superlicence points during the previous three years.

Thoughts? It seems awfully pointless to me. If they want to restrict the ability of pay drivers to do FP sessions, why not base it solely on superlicense points? Why the arbitrary number of six F2 events?

Ouch... They seem to be desperate to make F2 relevant. FIA should make some ranking system like in chess where they calculate an estimate of the strength of the driver, based on his or her performance versus other drivers. Speed of car should also be taken into account. Based on some mathematical formula FIA then calculates points for drivers.

...or more simplistically a driver has to finish top 6 in a series before he moves on to a higher series?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Any system that would have restricted the like's of Russell from completing a mid season test but welcomes Gelael with open arms is clearly not setup for sporting reasons.

Yeah I don't see the logic either, anyone with enough money can compete if F2 and then despite how poor your results you get a F1 FP testing license, that's not sorting the wheat from the chaff.

See: Gelael, Sean.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:15 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

I had him in mind as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:39 am 

pokerman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I had him in mind as well.

I'm dragging this thread slightly off-topic but I'm really curious to see how he does this year. Prema have been excellent in their first two GP2/F2 seasons, while Gelael is utter garbage. I mean he's obviously not going to finish top 4 or 5 in the series, even with the benefit of a Prema, but I can see him genuinely struggling to finish in the top 10. Which really would be embarrassing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm 

I'm dragging this thread slightly off-topic but I'm really curious to see how he does this year. Prema have been excellent in their first two GP2/F2 seasons, while Gelael is utter garbage. I mean he's obviously not going to finish top 4 or 5 in the series, even with the benefit of a Prema, but I can see him genuinely struggling to finish in the top 10. Which really would be embarrassing.

I think people routinely overstate the value of the team in GP2/F2, and I expect him to be really nowhere. The team's worth a little bit, sure, but it's 90% the driver. Unless one of the drivers in question is a rookie up against an experienced rival, I don't think a weaker driver in a better team has ever won the GP2 title, and I don't expect that to change in F2. People complained about Prema being too good in 2016 when Gasly and Giovanazzi finished 1st and 2nd, but where was Fuoco this past season in the mighty Prema? Nowhere.

With Gelael and de Vries in the car, I'll make the bold prediction that Prema won't even be in the top four this year.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:45 pm 

Exediron wrote:

I think people routinely overstate the value of the team in GP2/F2, and I expect him to be really nowhere. The team's worth a little bit, sure, but it's 90% the driver. Unless one of the drivers in question is a rookie up against an experienced rival, I don't think a weaker driver in a better team has ever won the GP2 title, and I don't expect that to change in F2. People complained about Prema being too good in 2016 when Gasly and Giovanazzi finished 1st and 2nd, but where was Fuoco this past season in the mighty Prema? Nowhere.

With Gelael and de Vries in the car, I'll make the bold prediction that Prema won't even be in the top four this year.

Another dynamic to consider is that they are changing the cars and engines this year so it's going to be a bit of a reset, so Prema may not still have the edge, maybe that's one reason why both Norris and Carlin were happy to keep their relationship for another year as he makes his debut and Carlin make a return to the series.