planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:00 pm
Posts: 2986
I cant seem to find the attending a GP thread that was here before the forum had plastic surgery :D

Anyhow, I plan to attend this year's British GP and will stay through the formula student competition (from 11-15th July) as well as we are participating this year with our own car (Cairo University Racing Team)

I just have a couple of questions:

The British GP is from the 6th to the 8th of July so i guess i will have to be in the UK on the 5th at least.

1. When trying to buy a ticket from the official F1 website i found tons of packages: Sunday Passes, Saturday Passes and Weekend passes. The Sunday passes and weekend passes don't vary much in price so i think i will be getting the weekend pass. There, however appears to be certain levels from these: General admissions, Silver National Pits Straight, Platinum Woodcote A, Becketts, Gold Luffield A,,,etc. I am looking to buying the General Admission since it is the cheapest but can you tell me the differences between them, is it where i sit? is the general admission any good? what should i do?

2. Since i will be alone (or maybe with just 1 friend) during the GP weekend i thought i would check into an hotel, can you recommend something to stay in with relatively low prices?

3. I would be staying in the UK for about 10-11 days, so could some of the UK residents give me an estimate of how much it would cost to be staying there (other than the GP ticket and travelling expenses ofcourse)

Thanks, help would be appreciated


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:57 am
Posts: 218
Why dont you check the Silverstone.co.uk website for tickets rather than the F1 site?
Also,using a TravelLodge to stay in is normally cheaper, but around the GP time they seem to bump prices up quite a bit.
Best looking early and see whats available, also depends how far you would be ok with from the circuit.

General Admission doesnt let you sit in a grandstand. You have to find a place on some grass etc around the circuit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 2183
Sorry, I meant to create this a week ago but various problems happened and I sort of forgot. I'll sticky this one for you now.

_________________
AlienTurnedHuman wrote:
("Anonymous") probably thought he was God. At least until he was banned. Which means if he was God, it makes me very scared of PF1-Mod.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:18 am
Posts: 289
Location: USA
I also have a question regarding general admission tickets (grass seating) as I will be attending my first GP in November (Austin baby!). I suppose it may depend on the particular circuit, but are you usually allowed to bring a small folding chair or umbrella style chair to use or does it have to be sitting/standing on the ground?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition - 2013 Edition
Best Finish: 1st place, Austin 2013
Career: 4 podiums, 1 wins
Current 2014 Championship standing: Mired in the midfield as usual... 47th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 pm
Posts: 95
At Spa you could take a chair in with you. Going to Melbourne in a few days, will let you know after that too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:00 pm
Posts: 2986
how about the expenses of living in the UK for about about 2 weeks? can anyone give me an estimate?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2645
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
tamalon55 wrote:
I also have a question regarding general admission tickets (grass seating) as I will be attending my first GP in November (Austin baby!). I suppose it may depend on the particular circuit, but are you usually allowed to bring a small folding chair or umbrella style chair to use or does it have to be sitting/standing on the ground?

Everywhere I've been with general admission a folding chair (and more) is absolutely fine. But if I were you I'd check with the circuit closer to the time, security at major US events can be pretty crazy and it may be a different rule.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2645
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
how about the expenses of living in the UK for about about 2 weeks? can anyone give me an estimate?

Depends entirely on what your tastes are! A local B&B might normally be around 50 quid a night but will be much more than that over the actual weekend and probably a little more either side of it, they also get booked up well in advance. If you're staying for a few nights you should email them for an accurate quote sooner rather than later. I think the Silverstone website has links to hotels and B&B's they recommend. If you eat in an average hotel or average restaurant (and watch what you spend) a meal for one will be something like 15 or 20 quid (double that if you like a drink). If you are spending as little as possible a fast food meal will be 5 or 6 quid. There are various coaches/buses that will take you in and out of the circuit but I've not used them before and have no idea what they cost. The train from London to the nearest mainline station (Milton Keynes) is about 10-20 quid one-way depending on when you travel, from MK you'll need a bus or cab to your hotel and the latter can be pricey.

The only thing I'd say is don't end up staying close to Silverstone for the whole time, particularly if you're on your own. Local residents may disagree but it's the middle of nowhere, you'll be bored out of your mind. Hotels in London will be more expensive but you'll save on travel by being able to walk everywhere (and you won't be stuck in the middle of nowhere... or worse: Milton Keynes).

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:48 am
Posts: 42
I did general admission at silverstone in 2009 and I wouldn't recommend it. On race day you need to be there very early to get a decent spot. As its very flat there aren't a great number of places to sit unlike spa for example. But brolley and folding chair are fine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 1553
Location: UK
I'd strongly recommend getting general admission - you get a free choice of where to stand (basically anwhere where there isn't a grandstand) and for Friday practice you get access to any grandstand you want as it much less busy that day. Last year I sat at the start/finish straight for Practice 1 and saw Kobayashi crash right in front of me! I'd strongly recommend bringing a camping chair though as you don't want to be standing all day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:52 am
Posts: 8
Hey guys. I'm planning to attend Spa this year and was wondering what the best way to go from Brussels airport to the circuit is. I tried looking at the links from the spa circuit website but they were a little confusing(I don't exactly know where Spa is so I don't know which stop on the train/bus is the correct one). Also, for people who have been there before, where is the cheapest place to sleep? I'm most likely going to go alone so I can stay almost anywhere as long as its not too far away from the circuit.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:18 am
Posts: 289
Location: USA
haz wrote:
I did general admission at silverstone in 2009 and I wouldn't recommend it. On race day you need to be there very early to get a decent spot. As its very flat there aren't a great number of places to sit unlike spa for example. But brolley and folding chair are fine

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately I plan on having an rv at the track so early will be no problem. Also the Austin track is relatively hilly so hopefully there will be plenty of spots to plop a chair down to watch.

*edit spelling

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition - 2013 Edition
Best Finish: 1st place, Austin 2013
Career: 4 podiums, 1 wins
Current 2014 Championship standing: Mired in the midfield as usual... 47th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 pm
Posts: 54
Hi,

I've been at the GP at Silverstone in 2007, and I think it's one of the most awesome F1 experiences I've had. Top three is Monaco, Monza and Silverstone. Spa is nice, however the weather is disreputable and the Walloons are eehhm.....

About B&B I can't help you. We stayed at a Little Chef's motel.

Regarding the tickets.
We had tickets at Woodcote. Awesome place. I watched the qualification at Luffield, and if I would buy tickets for this year's GP, I would buy weekend tickets for Luffield. Full Throttle exit, so the sound is awesome. Will never beat the V10 McLaren of 2000 and 2001, and the Honda engine of 2006, 2007, 2008, but you'll manage :) Furthermore, a great view. About 20 seconds(?).
My advise is to watch at least one training at copse corner and maggots&beckets. Those are great points at the circuit as well.

Have fun!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:57 pm
Posts: 269
I have had confirmation of my ticket for the British GP since last October (awesome birthday present, courtesy of the gf).
I went last year too, didn't have a clue what was happening in the race, but loved the atmosphere. This year will be my 3rd at Silverstone, i would love to do some flyaway races......but will need to get a more stable software engineering job to support that!

Anyway, im all up for sharing a few beers over the weekend if you guys want to form a possy? could make up some planetf1.com banners or something?

Dale


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:04 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Dundee
Im going to the spanish gp in may, have been before so i know my way to the circut. I was wondering if anyone knows the details of the thursday pit walk i.e times and where to go, once @ the circut. Help much appreciated


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:55 am
Posts: 207
Location: Montreal, Canada
Hopefully the best gp of the season, the Canadian gp :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 pm
Posts: 95
I'm going to Australia and Hungary this season after Spa last year. Australia has had either Jenson or Lewis winning it in 2008, 2009, 2010, Hungary has had one of them as victor in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011. Spa had heard our national anthem played in 2008 and 2010. I'm trying to get to races where a Brit might win, I will probably be disappointed :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Posts: 2242
Location: Perth, Australia
Malaysia this year. My first ever after many years of following the sport! Should be a cracker. Sitting at T1 :D

To anybody that's been there before, Friday is a "free entry" day and you're allowed to go anywhere you want. I intend on ending up on a hill at some point and i have a telescopic pole and a couple of flags to fly off of it. Fully extended it's ~3.5m tall but probably 80cm when shortened. Can i expect any difficulties getting this in? I've seen people at races with similar contraptions, so i'm hopeful.

_________________
Image
I also have one of these.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 pm
Posts: 54
The_Fish wrote:
I'm going to Australia and Hungary this season after Spa last year. Australia has had either Jenson or Lewis winning it in 2008, 2009, 2010, Hungary has had one of them as victor in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011. Spa had heard our national anthem played in 2008 and 2010. I'm trying to get to races where a Brit might win, I will probably be disappointed :D


Nice.
Both are GP's I would like to visit before the engine restrictions destroy the sport.

Have fun.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 1582
Sharans92 wrote:
Hey guys. I'm planning to attend Spa this year and was wondering what the best way to go from Brussels airport to the circuit is. I tried looking at the links from the spa circuit website but they were a little confusing(I don't exactly know where Spa is so I don't know which stop on the train/bus is the correct one). Also, for people who have been there before, where is the cheapest place to sleep? I'm most likely going to go alone so I can stay almost anywhere as long as its not too far away from the circuit.

Thanks!


Do people really travel to GP's without even consulting a map before hand?

Word of advice, the circuit is not actually that near to Spa itself......

_________________
Going to Spa? Check out my site. http://visit-spa-francorchamps.page.tl/
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world
Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 68
Copy and paste from the thread I started...

I've got a bit of a problem and so far I've not had a great deal of luck getting any (particularly useful) information from official sources. My mother (in her 70s) has been a pretty much life long Formula 1 fan but has never had the opportunity to go and see a race. After much saving of pennies I've finally got them money together to take her and the missus to Silverstone to watch the race this year (though there are 5 or 6 going in total). The problem is, I can't really see where will be particularly suitable for us to go with regards to hospitality suites.

Based on cost / location / views it looks like Silverstone Six might be best for us, but there's a grand total of two pictures of the place on the Silverstone website, one a corridor, one a plate of food. :frown:

Has anyone here been to that particular hospitality suite? Can you see the track from the restaurant? Are there toilets in the hospitality area or are you forced to use the shared ones? It mentions that there's "standing terrace viewing" with a "grandstand seat overlooking the six corners". Does anyone know if the grandstand seat is far away from the eating area? Is it far from the car park? Sorry, I know that's a lot of random questions but my mother has extremely bad arthritis and has trouble walking more than a few meters. I'm wondering if a wheelchair might be a better option assuming I could actually persuade her to go in one... and assuming accessibility is ok.

For those who maybe have experience of one of the other suites like Stow Lakeside or Brooklands (I can't afford the driver's lounge)... would they suit her needs? Are the views good?

Thanks in advance for any help / info people can give.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 pm
Posts: 54
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sharans92 wrote:
Hey guys. I'm planning to attend Spa this year and was wondering what the best way to go from Brussels airport to the circuit is. I tried looking at the links from the spa circuit website but they were a little confusing(I don't exactly know where Spa is so I don't know which stop on the train/bus is the correct one). Also, for people who have been there before, where is the cheapest place to sleep? I'm most likely going to go alone so I can stay almost anywhere as long as its not too far away from the circuit.

Thanks!


Do people really travel to GP's without even consulting a map before hand?

Word of advice, the circuit is not actually that near to Spa itself......


Huh? I always park my car in Spa and walk to the circuit.

I'm attending Spa as well this year. We have tickets for the grand stands at eau rouge. We booked a hotel at the centre of Maastricht. A nice Dutch city for having a beer in the evening. Liege is closer to the track, but is a shithole for staying. No fun in the evenings.

Probably I'll visit Monaco as well. But not sure yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 1582
cdriel wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sharans92 wrote:
Hey guys. I'm planning to attend Spa this year and was wondering what the best way to go from Brussels airport to the circuit is. I tried looking at the links from the spa circuit website but they were a little confusing(I don't exactly know where Spa is so I don't know which stop on the train/bus is the correct one). Also, for people who have been there before, where is the cheapest place to sleep? I'm most likely going to go alone so I can stay almost anywhere as long as its not too far away from the circuit.

Thanks!


Do people really travel to GP's without even consulting a map before hand?

Word of advice, the circuit is not actually that near to Spa itself......


Huh? I always park my car in Spa and walk to the circuit.

I'm attending Spa as well this year. We have tickets for the grand stands at eau rouge. We booked a hotel at the centre of Maastricht. A nice Dutch city for having a beer in the evening. Liege is closer to the track, but is a shithole for staying. No fun in the evenings.

Probably I'll visit Monaco as well. But not sure yet.


Maybe you do but I prefer not to have to walk 5 miles to get from Spa to the Circuit.

There is a lot of accommodation in both Stavelot and Malmedy which are much much closer.

_________________
Going to Spa? Check out my site. http://visit-spa-francorchamps.page.tl/
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world
Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 pm
Posts: 54
Malmedy is also a 5 km walk. Been there, done that. But I am interested to the closest parking, so do you have a google maps link or something?

On raceday, I prefer parking a little bit further from the circuit for a quicker getaway :)

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:01 am
Posts: 166
Location: Denmark
A map you might use: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ptab=2 ... 5fb180a819

I'm also going to Spa this year, can't wait. It's going to be legendary and pure awesomeness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:52 am
Posts: 8
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sharans92 wrote:
Hey guys. I'm planning to attend Spa this year and was wondering what the best way to go from Brussels airport to the circuit is. I tried looking at the links from the spa circuit website but they were a little confusing(I don't exactly know where Spa is so I don't know which stop on the train/bus is the correct one). Also, for people who have been there before, where is the cheapest place to sleep? I'm most likely going to go alone so I can stay almost anywhere as long as its not too far away from the circuit.

Thanks!


Do people really travel to GP's without even consulting a map before hand?

Word of advice, the circuit is not actually that near to Spa itself......


By "Spa" I was actually referring to the circuit itself and not any towns by the same name near the circuit. I did look at quite a few maps while researching the trip.

But anyways, does anyone know what the best way to get from Brussels airport to the circuit is? Should I use the train or the bus?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:52 am
Posts: 8
Nxet_DK wrote:
A map you might use: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ptab=2 ... 5fb180a819

I'm also going to Spa this year, can't wait. It's going to be legendary and pure awesomeness.


That's awesome! Where are you sitting? I was just gonna do general admission.

P.S: I'm actually studying abroad in Copenhagen next semester. Do a lot of people like Formula 1 in Denmark? I was kinda hoping to find someone there to go with but I don't know what the popularity of the sport is in Copenhagen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1
Sorry for the thread hijack (OK, well it is kind of relevant) but I don't seem to be able to make my own yet :(

I've been following F1 for about 3 years (but have watched nearly every race live in that time) and I was thinking it was about time I went to a GP, but i can't quite justify the cost so was thinking of applying to be a steward.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience stewarding at Silverstone? How much of the race (if any) do you actually get to see? Also do they take on people with little stewarding experience? I have done it at music festivals before but nothing the scale of an F1 Grand Prix. My mate who I would be going with has done it for motorbikes before...

Thanks in anticipation :-P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:01 am
Posts: 166
Location: Denmark
Sharans92 wrote:
Nxet_DK wrote:
A map you might use: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ptab=2 ... 5fb180a819

I'm also going to Spa this year, can't wait. It's going to be legendary and pure awesomeness.


That's awesome! Where are you sitting? I was just gonna do general admission.

P.S: I'm actually studying abroad in Copenhagen next semester. Do a lot of people like Formula 1 in Denmark? I was kinda hoping to find someone there to go with but I don't know what the popularity of the sport is in Copenhagen.


I'm going to sit @Grandstand Gold 8 - La Source "Covered grandstand located on the outside of the first corner. This spot is considered one of the best points of the entire circuit for overtaking. A big screen can be seen as well." "http://uktickets.formula1.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=tsdt&stat=5&flgc=0&loid=178241&ofid=16575&sdat=31/08/2012&edat=02/09/2012&wtid=28&rfrr=Belgium&mdpcid=wwte.uk.300-30004.mnc.tsh.trv.be&eapid=300-30004#details

which i I was recommended by several members from the forum. Which explains why it is fully booked.

Overall, Formula 1s popularity and interest in Denmark seems to be growing.
For what i know, some of friends including me loves Formula 1 and watch it together sometimes :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 772
good thread.

good advice here... im also attending my first ever GP at silverstone this summer, after 19 years of watching F1.

also General Admission.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:01 am
Posts: 166
Location: Denmark
Sutton wrote:
good thread.

good advice here... im also attending my first ever GP at silverstone this summer, after 19 years of watching F1.

also General Admission.


In addition, it would be nice if people who have attended a GP, give feedback on their tour.
Incl.

Location (Melbourne, Silverstone, Spa-Francorchamps etc.)
Seats - Section and number (Ex.: 3-day pass: Grandstand Gold 1 - Pit)
General experience (Cons and Pros)
Atmosphere (perhaps a bit to philosophical)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:59 pm
Posts: 1135
planning on attending the Spa race... would be a drive & camp for a few days affair.

My main dilemma in doing this (past finding the £££) is that i'm dependable on a wheelchair to get about anything but VERY short distances... Are there any sites or groups i should look at or talk to about any provisions the circuit has for disabled attendees?

_________________
the loon previously known as dr lee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:51 am
Posts: 556
bakedbean wrote:
Sorry for the thread hijack (OK, well it is kind of relevant) but I don't seem to be able to make my own yet :(

I've been following F1 for about 3 years (but have watched nearly every race live in that time) and I was thinking it was about time I went to a GP, but i can't quite justify the cost so was thinking of applying to be a steward.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience stewarding at Silverstone? How much of the race (if any) do you actually get to see? Also do they take on people with little stewarding experience? I have done it at music festivals before but nothing the scale of an F1 Grand Prix. My mate who I would be going with has done it for motorbikes before...

Thanks in anticipation :-P


Speaking to the stewards last year at silverstone you have to have experience of motor racing stewarding and be registered for a number of years before you'll get the nod to do the F1 weekend, also most are off track and on clean up/crowd safety (also can be ejected if you are found to be just there to watch the race)

_________________
McLaren Fan
Go Jenson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:51 am
Posts: 556
Nxet_DK wrote:
Sutton wrote:
good thread.

good advice here... im also attending my first ever GP at silverstone this summer, after 19 years of watching F1.

also General Admission.


In addition, it would be nice if people who have attended a GP, give feedback on their tour.
Incl.

Location (Melbourne, Silverstone, Spa-Francorchamps etc.)
Seats - Section and number (Ex.: 3-day pass: Grandstand Gold 1 - Pit)
General experience (Cons and Pros)
Atmosphere (perhaps a bit to philosophical)


How about this
Location: Silverstone 2011 British GP
Seats: General Admission 3 day ticket
General experience: absolutely the best sporting weekend of my life
Pros -
three day camping ticket at woodlands you could take all your own food and drink into the circuit to keep costs down if needed
GA has lots of great vantage points to sit and enjoy the race so if there is someone aroun who annoys you you can just move (can't do that with a grandstand seat!)
There are too many pros to list and only con could be no cover if it rains but I bought a great rain coat and over trousers leaving me bone dry on the Friday when it was horrible.

Atmosphere: truly brilliant
Woodlands campsite even in the lively camping by 12:30 it's peaceful, great friendly folk who are up for rival driver/team banter (something some on this forum could learn), good raised areas for people needing to use wheelchairs

Anymore you need to know?
.

_________________
McLaren Fan
Go Jenson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:10 am
Posts: 6
Location - Monza 2008, 2009, 2011
Seats - Parabolica, Outer First Variant (outside 1st corner), Alta velocita B (inside 1st corner)
General Experience - Overall, an absolute amazing track and truly amazing experience. One of my best places of going and watching a GP. This place ticks all boxes for everything, in terms of location, racing, nightlife, accessability and price. For a start its one stop from Milan central station (10mins) with regular trains going through there. From Monza station they provide free buses that run constantly to the circuit (about 20mins) from there the buses drop you in the centre of the park which is then a lovely stroll through (10mins).

This is one of the few tracks ive been to that allow you to take any beer into the circuit, always a plus! from walking into the main gates all parts of the track are easily accessable and the scenery and atmosphere just make it great to walk round.
Friday you can roam any grandstand as long as you have a grandstand ticket.

The best vantage points that i recomend are Turn 1 (either side) just to here the cars screaming down the pit straight and watching them slow from 200mph to 60mph is a sight to behold and then watching them take off again. Parabolica, again hearing the cars flying down the straight into a tricky corner. And grandstand 23 on the inside of the parabolica and pit lane entry. I would reccomend this for real close up of the cars, you can sit right where the pit lane starts and see the cars come in, grind to a near standstill and then rev the engine to its maximum whilst going to the pits.

The crowds are excellent, very diverse, from the passionate tifosi, too english, finnish all getting drunk and having a ball.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:25 am
Posts: 7
bakedbean wrote:
Sorry for the thread hijack (OK, well it is kind of relevant) but I don't seem to be able to make my own yet :(

I've been following F1 for about 3 years (but have watched nearly every race live in that time) and I was thinking it was about time I went to a GP, but i can't quite justify the cost so was thinking of applying to be a steward.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience stewarding at Silverstone? How much of the race (if any) do you actually get to see? Also do they take on people with little stewarding experience? I have done it at music festivals before but nothing the scale of an F1 Grand Prix. My mate who I would be going with has done it for motorbikes before...

Thanks in anticipation :-P


Hi,

Not sure how much it's changed but my hubbie did security for a couple of years at Silverstone..probably about 8 years ago...he had a friend who did a bit of security for a firm who had a contract with the circuit. So 6 of them went and worked security from the weds thru mon. He had no previous security experience and isn't a "Big Bloke" if you know what I mean!!!.

He managed to see all of the race, as he just told the bosses the only reason he was working there was to see the race/quali so not to expect to find him during those times. He had a really good laugh the 1st year but said the 2nd year was tediously boring so has never done it again. The first year they drove people to the ball and back think it was the Fri and Sat evening, so met quite alot of the great and the good.

KM

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:00 pm
Posts: 2986
WelshWayne1978 wrote:
Nxet_DK wrote:
Sutton wrote:
good thread.

good advice here... im also attending my first ever GP at silverstone this summer, after 19 years of watching F1.

also General Admission.


In addition, it would be nice if people who have attended a GP, give feedback on their tour.
Incl.

Location (Melbourne, Silverstone, Spa-Francorchamps etc.)
Seats - Section and number (Ex.: 3-day pass: Grandstand Gold 1 - Pit)
General experience (Cons and Pros)
Atmosphere (perhaps a bit to philosophical)


How about this
Location: Silverstone 2011 British GP
Seats: General Admission 3 day ticket
General experience: absolutely the best sporting weekend of my life
Pros -
three day camping ticket at woodlands you could take all your own food and drink into the circuit to keep costs down if needed
GA has lots of great vantage points to sit and enjoy the race so if there is someone aroun who annoys you you can just move (can't do that with a grandstand seat!)
There are too many pros to list and only con could be no cover if it rains but I bought a great rain coat and over trousers leaving me bone dry on the Friday when it was horrible.

Atmosphere: truly brilliant
Woodlands campsite even in the lively camping by 12:30 it's peaceful, great friendly folk who are up for rival driver/team banter (something some on this forum could learn), good raised areas for people needing to use wheelchairs

Anymore you need to know?
.


That is by far the most helpful post to me, Would you mind giving me a couple of tips regarding Camping, getting tickets, costs,,,etc. regarding General admission as i am seriously considering getting tickets foe this year's British GP. Am also not from the UK so please inform me on if i will be needing anything (or maybe i should avoid camping and stay in any local cheap place)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:48 am
Posts: 42
Location: Spa 2008
Seats: General admission (sat at Pouhon for the race)
General experience: Amazing circuit in lovely countryside, amazing race
Atmosphere: great atmosphere, everyone really into it

Location: Silverstone 2009
Seats: General admission (sat at Vale for the race)
General experience: Boring race, not very nice places to sit
Atmosphere: good atmosphere

Location: Monza 2010
Seats: grandstand 21e, braking zone for parabolica
General experience: great weather, great race, great fans
Atmosphere: by far the best atmosphere of any GP I've been to and I'm not even an Ferrari fan. Plus there's loads of fit birds around the track

Location: Nurburgring 2011
Seats: Michael Schumacher S, grandstand 10 i think?
General experience: good race, great scenery, camping next to the historic nordschleife
Atmosphere: worst one i've been to for atmosphere, the german fans don't cheer for anyone. Even their returning world record champion, even their championship leading new champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 pm
Posts: 54
I've been to Monze quite a few times, and the best places are Variante Della Roggia (near the breaking point), and the Ascari chicane.
Parabolica is nice, but since the cars are off throttle, the sound is not that spectacular. That's awesome at the Ascari exit.

That's the little shiver you want feel going down your spine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:19 pm
Posts: 6
I agree, the sound is not great.

Otmane El RHAZI.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyM77, AngusWolfe, Arai_or_Nothing, Bing [Bot], Classic, GingerFurball, jammin78, mcdo, mikeyg123, RaggedMan, rich06, TheOtherGuy and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group