planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:10 pm 

Just got my tickets this morning for Montreal (Grandstand 11, Section 2) and booked my plane tickets over the weekend.

Which brings me to my next step... booking hotel rooms.

I understand transportation to the circuit is good, so lots of options as far as places one could stay... any suggestions on good areas in terms of decent rates and good access? Or areas that aren't so good for transportation/travel time that would be best to avoid?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:52 pm 

Z3RoadstarTXF1 wrote:
Just got my tickets this morning for Montreal (Grandstand 11, Section 2) and booked my plane tickets over the weekend.

I understand transportation to the circuit is good, so lots of options as far as places one could stay... any suggestions on good areas in terms of decent rates and good access? Or areas that aren't so good for transportation/travel time that would be best to avoid?

Thanks!

Depends what you're looking for.
If you plan to travel to the circuit on the Metro (probably best) you have to go through Berri-UQAM so any Metro line that passes through this connection will work. If you plan to self-cater there are a few places where you can get small apartment w/kitchenette. In years past downtown hotels tend to sell out quite quickly so don't delay! Can't advise on rates since I gave up on hotels and bought a condo!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:09 am 

Has anyone been to the Hungaroring? I know its not usually the most exciting race but tickets are dirt cheap in comparison to most other races from what I can see.

What is general admission like? Or would it be worth going up to Silver grandstand tickets? (still a reasonable price).

I'm hopefully going inter-railing in the summer and thought it would be a good idea to coincide a visit to Budapest with the race - so would be Hostelling it in Budapest. Is travel to the circuit difficult?

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:34 am 

lamo wrote:
Has anybody been to the Turkish grand prix?
Thoughts? Ideas?

I went in 2009. The circuit probably had only 30,000 people there maximum which meant zero queues for anything but also zero atmosphere. Facilities are good but there was very little in the way of merchandising or displays.

The circuit is approx 40 mins from Istanbul where there are loads of decent, cheap hotels. However - and this is a major thing - locals apparently all go away from the city for the weekend which means traffic is vast on Sunday afternoon as they return. I was advised that it can easily take over 3 hours to get back to the city centre on Sunday afternoon. We eventually gave up and took the ferry across the Bosphorous and went for dinner because the traffic was so bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:07 pm 

coulthards chin wrote:
Has anyone been to the Hungaroring? I know its not usually the most exciting race but tickets are dirt cheap in comparison to most other races from what I can see.

What is general admission like? Or would it be worth going up to Silver grandstand tickets? (still a reasonable price).

I'm hopefully going inter-railing in the summer and thought it would be a good idea to coincide a visit to Budapest with the race - so would be Hostelling it in Budapest. Is travel to the circuit difficult?

i'd be interested in any words of wisdom for going to the hungaroring also... seems like its a good track for general admission and the free bus or the train are the best ways to get to the circuit from the city center...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:42 pm 

I've been to the Hungaroring and whilst it's not a great track on TV, live races are amazing. It's on a natural bowl sop even on basic entry tickets you can find views of not only the track near you but a across to other parts of the circuits.

I believe there are plenty of giant screams these days.

Final bonus is that it's on a wonderful party of the world so I'd you can, stay longer and enjoy the sights.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 pm 

I went to Hungaroring last year and it was brilliant. Not the best race as you all know, but the atmosphere was brilliant, a proper party atmosphere in the evening, everyone friendly and alcohol cheap ;)
The track like Asphalt said, is a natural bowl so you can see everything. I was sat at the end of the final corner and could pretty much see the whole of sector 3 and a bit before it. From another spot at the start of sector 3, which I think was general entry, you could see the downhill bit from turn 1, and the majority of sector 3... we didn't really sit in any other spots to be honest, just walked around the track whilst GP2 and 3 were on. The best bit for me was the proximity of the campsites. Ours was literally a minute walk from the entry gate for my grandstand, so between races we could pop back and cool off in the shade and get a drink (it was soooo hot.)

Overall I'd recommend it, was a good experience, if a bit of a dull race. Schumi made up for it with his practice crash and starline antics.

I'm still umming and ahhhing over where to go this year. Done Silverstone, Hungaroring and Spa... not sure where I want to go next, any recommendations?

PS- I was in a silver grandstand, well worth the value.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 am 

Now that the German GP is confirmed, can anyone suggest a good place (area) to stay? I can't find any local hotels and I really don't want to spend hours every day travelling back and forth to the circuit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:00 pm 

Psychotext wrote:
Now that the German GP is confirmed, can anyone suggest a good place (area) to stay? I can't find any local hotels and I really don't want to spend hours every day travelling back and forth to the circuit.

I second this, as I want to go to the 'ring as well!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm 

I've tried finding out what the transport links are like for race weekend but I'm not having a great deal of luck with that either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:33 pm 

HI all!

I am going to Hungaroring and it is my first live f1 race so I am thrilled!! :)
I bought my tickets and booked hotel from same place and they said there is going to be free transportations from hotel to racetrack.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:49 pm 

Luukas1969 wrote:
HI all!

I am going to Hungaroring and it is my first live f1 race so I am thrilled!! :)
I bought my tickets and booked hotel from same place and they said there is going to be free transportations from hotel to racetrack.

awesome! hey, what hotel are you staying at that provides free transport to the track?

and thanks ashpalt-world and jammin for the info!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:31 pm 

Go to page: hungaroinfo

They have many hotels who are there just becouse they work together like this. My hotel will be zuglo. 3 star hotel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 am 

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum but have been here a lot over the last few years.

Im from Perth Western Australia and am going to be attending the Singapore GP in September.

I went to the Australian GP last year and would love to get some feedback from people who may have attended the Singapore GP as to what seats/grandstands they had, and what they thought of the location/vantage ect.

I know my way around Singapore quite well as we have visited there a few times on holiday and it has allways been my dream to see the GP there under lights.

I will be attending Qually and the race and the missus will just be attending the race as we will have a 10 month old baby with us that will be babysat on race day.

Any help that people could provide would be invaluable, Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to become a much more regular contributor to the forum.

Cheers Rusty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:04 pm 

Got myself tickets for Barcelona last week. Let's hope I can get some nice photos.

1 day you may

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:31 pm 

I booked for Barcelona last week as well.

First GP so really looking forward to it.

Stand G :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:56 pm 

The Postman wrote:

me to .... :-P well not last week ....
just got to find some good prices for flights now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:59 pm 

A2jdl wrote:
The Postman wrote:

I booked my flights for the 2nd Barca test at the start of last month, and prices have already doubled for mates who've decided to be late attendees. Don't delay!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 pm 

photoshopped wrote:
A2jdl wrote:
The Postman wrote:

I booked my flights for the 2nd Barca test at the start of last month, and prices have already doubled for mates who've decided to be late attendees. Don't delay!

That is what I keep tell my mates and they keep sayin they will go down. I best get onto them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:41 am 

Who here has been to the Singapore GP?
I'm going there for the first time but I'm not sure which ticket to buy..
I'm going there alone so which package do you think is the best option? The idea of sitting alone on a grandstand doesn't sound too
exciting.. The Walkabouts I might enjoy more though..
Here's a link to their website http://www.singaporegp.sg/ticket/ticket_price.php

Also, any advice or feedback from you guys will be very much appreciated! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:26 pm 

Scroll up about half a dozen posts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:44 am 

kevwright wrote:
Hi all just wondering if anyone here has attended the Austin GP this year? and if so how was the hospitality of the whole event as I have won 2 tickets next year to go all expenses paid by Pirelli :P

All things considered, I think they did a great job putting on the race and the people in Austin were super friendly with a great night life scene.
And if you "all expenses paid" includes housing, then you really did score since that's where all that supply and demand stuff you learned in Econ 101 comes true.

Mitch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:09 am 

I've been to Silverstone, Spa, Melbourne and Hungary so far. Melbourne and Singapore for me this year. If anyone wants any advice about any of these GP's let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 am 

Weve booked singapore for the gp and will be going with the zone 4 walkabout, were you in a stand fish or walkabout?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:24 pm 

Z3RoadstarTXF1 wrote:

Thanks!

Try Place D'armes Hotel, it's 2 minutes away from a metro station, you'll be at the circuit in 25 minutes. Let me know if you need more info. I live 2 minutes away from the F1 circuit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 pm 

Barcelona GP

Does anyone have any useful info regarding Barcelona GP? We have booked our flights, hotel and a hire car for a week in the Barcelona area, topping it off with Friday, Saturday & Sunday watching the practise, quali and race (yay!). But would like to know if anyone has info for things like food, best areas of the circuit to wander around (we have a grandstand ticket for the race but hope to spend Friday and Saturday checking out some other viewpoints), and of course anything else you might've picked up. We're f1 vets, having been to various races over the years but never done the Spanish GP. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:23 pm 

I will order my Nürburgring tickets next week! First live GP after being an F1 fan for 19 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:41 am 

Anyone going to Silverstone this year? Where you guys sat? Or planning on sitting if you got General Admission...

2013: 12th
2014: 38th

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:07 am 

BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:
Anyone going to Silverstone this year? Where you guys sat? Or planning on sitting if you got General Admission...

Yes

Club and Vale usually with GA

I'm looking forward to it but I don't want the season to pass quickly lol

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:09 am 

Yep i will be there :D Friday and Sat i will move around and Sunday will be at Luffield cant wait either :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:29 pm 

I wouldnt suggest driving to the Canadian GP. Take the Metro(subway). Remember the track is on a island and the subway has a station right at the track. Enjoy! I will be watching from Senna Corner(grandstand 11).

SENNA

PF1 Competition
2 Podium finishes - 2nd in Bahrain '13, 1st in Hungary '13
7th place in 2014
41st place in 2013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:03 pm 

F1 Canuck.
Could not agree more. By far the most civilised way to go is via Metro but I would add that leaving the circuit at the end of the day may be better by walking (I have a place in Old Montreal so I'm lucky) but it beats having your nose jammed in someone's armpit on a crowded Metro train. The other option is NOT to leave until the crowds have thinned out a bit and you have helped the beer sellers lighten their load.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:

Yes

Same here! Sooner than usual as well this year

2013: 12th
2014: 38th

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:32 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:

Yes

Same here! Sooner than usual as well this year

Bring on the petrol head pub at woodlands campsite!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:34 pm 

painless wrote:
F1 Canuck.
Could not agree more. By far the most civilised way to go is via Metro but I would add that leaving the circuit at the end of the day may be better by walking (I have a place in Old Montreal so I'm lucky) but it beats having your nose jammed in someone's armpit on a crowded Metro train. The other option is NOT to leave until the crowds have thinned out a bit and you have helped the beer sellers lighten their load.

Also if you are looking for a hotel; pay the premium and stay downtown or as close to as possible. This is where all the fun happens and you are never more than a block or 2 away from the metro. Book now though as they sell out fast.

SENNA

PF1 Competition
2 Podium finishes - 2nd in Bahrain '13, 1st in Hungary '13
7th place in 2014
41st place in 2013

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:24 pm 

Apologies if it's already been asked and answered, but this year we're planning on going to the Belgian Grand Prix seeing as I'm 21 and the mother is 50. My question is does anyone know if Spa is the same as Silverstone, in the sense that if you have a grandstand ticket, you can sit anywhere you want on Friday and Saturday at Silverstone, or do you have to sit in the same seat for the entire weeked at Spa?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:24 pm 

Floppy_Boy wrote:
Apologies if it's already been asked and answered, but this year we're planning on going to the Belgian Grand Prix seeing as I'm 21 and the mother is 50. My question is does anyone know if Spa is the same as Silverstone, in the sense that if you have a grandstand ticket, you can sit anywhere you want on Friday and Saturday at Silverstone, or do you have to sit in the same seat for the entire weeked at Spa?

I believe you can do as you suggest and move around on Friday (not so sure about Saturday) but don't quote me when some Belgian cop with a gun and a dog come to sort you out! I once went to Spa on the Thursday and the workers putting the numbers on the stands did not know which was which so who knows if you're sitting in the right place?!
I am older than your mum and I managed OK but the parking can be quite some way from your seats so wear shoes you are comfortable walking some distance in. Also it's Spa so take RAIN gear!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 am 

painless wrote:
Floppy_Boy wrote:

I believe you can do as you suggest and move around on Friday (not so sure about Saturday) but don't quote me when some Belgian cop with a gun and a dog come to sort you out! I once went to Spa on the Thursday and the workers putting the numbers on the stands did not know which was which so who knows if you're sitting in the right place?!
I am older than your mum and I managed OK but the parking can be quite some way from your seats so wear shoes you are comfortable walking some distance in. Also it's Spa so take RAIN gear!!

Thanks for the advice :thumbup: :] and the rain couldn't POSSIBLY be a patch on the Saturday last year at Silverstone, so we should be fine ;) :nod: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:07 pm 

Got tickets to Spa this year on the Eau Rouge grandstand :D Anything that I should think about taking? I heard that you can bring/buy a handheld radio to keep up on commentary/hopefully I can get BBC 5 Live on my iPhone or something :)

We're staying in a hotel and driving, does anyone know if we can take food and drink in at all? :D

Also, anyone else going? :)
FANX GUYS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:13 pm 

Take whatever food you like but also purchase some frits mit mayonnaise

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!