All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:26 am 

cristicondor wrote:
cristicondor wrote:
Z3RoadstarTXF1 wrote:
Just got my tickets this morning for Montreal (Grandstand 11, Section 2) and booked my plane tickets over the weekend.

Which brings me to my next step... booking hotel rooms.

I understand transportation to the circuit is good, so lots of options as far as places one could stay... any suggestions on good areas in terms of decent rates and good access? Or areas that aren't so good for transportation/travel time that would be best to avoid?

Thanks!

Try Place D'armes Hotel, it's 2 minutes away from a metro station, you'll be at the circuit in 25 minutes. Let me know if you need more info. I live 2 minutes away from the F1 circuit.

Hi R
I can't pm you, I'm too new here!
Berri-Uqam is kind of a hub station, you are at one stop from the circuit; ~ 3 minutes ride + walking it's ~ 30 minutes. During the race weekend it's quite crowded but they always increase the number of trains. So, you are very close to the circuit.
Quite a qualy today! I'm very excited it started.

Very good, thanks for the feedback! I'm excited, hotel reservations were the last item on my checklist, GP Tickets, Plane Reservations, Passport, and now hotel reservations. Now, I just need to wait for June to get here while also waiting for the Austin tickets to go on sale so I can jump on that be sure to get the seats I want to request... and keep my fingers crossed that Nurburgring will return at some point and that Spa stays on the calender so that in the next few years I might be able to check those off my wish list.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:46 pm 

Crispy Condor? Did Colonel Sanders conquer The Andes?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 pm 

Thats it, I'm going to the Silverstone GP with my sister and nephew. 2014 and my budget for the 3 days is £500 for the ticket, plus money for camping and food etc. This will be my first GP thanks to You Tube and recent videos filmed by fans. The TV coverage is brilliant, but the raw video shot trackside by fans is awesome and almost makes me cry with awe. So..........I plan on camping and want a grandstand ticket for race day. With my budget, has anybody got advice for me regarding where to get tickets for and what to take with me. My nephew is 16.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:25 pm 

runningman67 wrote:
Thats it, I'm going to the Silverstone GP with my sister and nephew. 2014 and my budget for the 3 days is £500 for the ticket, plus money for camping and food etc. This will be my first GP thanks to You Tube and recent videos filmed by fans. The TV coverage is brilliant, but the raw video shot trackside by fans is awesome and almost makes me cry with awe. So..........I plan on camping and want a grandstand ticket for race day. With my budget, has anybody got advice for me regarding where to get tickets for and what to take with me. My nephew is 16.

Cheers

£500 per person?

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:34 pm 

runningman67 wrote:

Cheers

Welcome. I normally get tickets from Silverstone own web site. Camping at Whittlebury hall is great and not to much money. And take plenty of beer n food money. And you will love it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:19 am 

Yes £500 Per person. Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:53 pm 

runningman67 wrote:
Yes £500 Per person. Thanks for the replies.

Club grandstand gives great views of the last section right up the start finish straight, woodlands campsite is £60 per person (this years price) and is situated right next to the entrance of club corner

The campsite has entertainment Friday and Saturday night, you can take your own food and drink there and also into the track (as much as you can carry!)

Anything else you'd like to know you can pm me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:19 am 

Postman just been with my Barcelona tickets!

Zone G14

:D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:12 am 

ooo mine must be arriving soon as well then caint wait

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:47 pm 

The Postman wrote:
Postman just been with my Barcelona tickets!

Zone G14

:D

It a great day when yet arrive.. All the excitement of opening the package! It's my Xmas!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 am 

runningman67 wrote:

Cheers

Pack for a wet race. Just incase :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:49 pm 

2013 Bahrain Grand Prix.

There are a couple of us who will be staying with my sister who currently works in Dubai from the 17th until the 25th of April. We are looking at flying out early morning on the 21st for the race and then flying back in the evening, we would consider staying over night with a hotel package.

Firstly, is there anyone on here in the know about the current political situation there? Is it to volatile to travel around there safely? According to the FCO website you should be ok?

Secondly, is there any direct official bus or taxi services to the track from the airport and back? I have looked but cannot find anything thus far.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:08 pm 

Was planning on going to AD. Tickets were released this week, and the prices are very expensive, especially compared European Races. Think i will go to Hungary or Italy instead.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:50 pm 

TheThirdTenor wrote:
Was planning on going to AD. Tickets were released this week, and the prices are very expensive, especially compared European Races. Think i will go to Hungary or Italy instead.

I saw an article which stated that AD was the most expensive race to attend out of all of the current ones.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:27 pm 

Hi, I am planning on going to the belgian gp this year. Can someone please give me some advice on which sections are good? My budget is for bronze and silver grandstands.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:29 pm 

If this is an elementary question, I apologize. What do the General Admission tickets get you in a race weekend? And why are these tickets so cheap?

Each time i have been to a race I have taken stand seats, but always wondered about this.

For the previous poster asking about the Belgian GP, I have no idea... but I was just looking at the map of the stands at Spa francorchamps and was salivating at the ticket prices (in my local currency) along La Source and Eau Rouge. However, I live a world away from Belgium so the travel is far too expensive for me. :(

That would be the place to be imo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:25 pm 

schumisux wrote:
If this is an elementary question, I apologize. What do the General Admission tickets get you in a race weekend? And why are these tickets so cheap?

Each time i have been to a race I have taken stand seats, but always wondered about this.

For the previous poster asking about the Belgian GP, I have no idea... but I was just looking at the map of the stands at Spa francorchamps and was salivating at the ticket prices (in my local currency) along La Source and Eau Rouge. However, I live a world away from Belgium so the travel is far too expensive for me. :(

That would be the place to be imo.

General admission is basically anywhere other than in a stand I.e. the grass banks etc. you take your own seat and sit where you want the only down side with it is that on the Sunday you have to get there early to get a good spot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 am 

Hiya,

Im attending Silverstone in September for the Moto GP! we are staying overnight and we booked for the Holiday Inn Northampton! It was about £60 for a family of 4 and just on the outskirts 15 mins away from track! however i recon if you haven't booked anything yet then the chances of getting somewhere cheap is going to be difficult! We booked out room last year!!

Have a FABULOUS time at the F1 tho, I'm very jealous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 pm 

So me Barcelona tickets have arrive :D

We got our hotel booked near Las Ramblas, and we will be spending our time in the evenings in and around Las Ramblas. But reading comments on trip advisor, it sounds like a pretty shady place to be, with lots of prostitutes, and pick pockets / muggins and scuffles etc.. being constant.
Still cant wait thou :D but has anyone been there recently and is it as bad as they make out on trip advisor ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:02 pm 

Finally have finalized a trip from Central Canada to Spa and Monza this year!. First live race since Melbourne in 2009 (First race, pole and win for Brawn!)

Milan accomodations all booked for the Monza days - but Spa is looking like quite a bit of a headache. Nothin in Spa itself for under $500 per night. We are flying into Brussels early Friday morning and will spend Friday night there - but from my research - looks like a 2 hour train and 45 minute bus to the circuit!

I guess my question is can anyone suggest some other town options that would be within a 1 hour train / bus ride from the circuit for race day? The brussels trip seems too long - around 6 hours return!

Sitting at Eau Rouge :) for Spa and General Admission for Monza. 2 weeks in between for Holland, Germany, Switzerland and Italy! Hope to see you there! (We will likely be the 2 guys wearing Winnipeg Jets Jerseys to stand out in the crowd for our jealous friends back home).

Any Spa suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:02 pm 

Hi everyone,
Firstly I’d just like to say hello as I am a newbie on here. I’m going to my first GP at Silverstone this year with my Brother(I can’t wait!!) and have been getting loads of useful tips and info of here as to what to expect and what to do etc. The question I have is about the park and ride. We have booked weekend general admission tickets and will be using the park and ride from Sixfields Stadium. Does anybody know if the buses take you straight into the venue (as we would already have had to show our passes to get onto the bus), or do they just drop you off at the main entrance and we will have to queue up to get in there. I’m thinking more of the Sunday really, do I need to be on that first bus leaving at 5.30am for any chance of getting a good spot, so we would have to be looking at getting to the park and ride at about 5am to join the queue for the first bus? Also are there any tips or advice for me from anybody that have used the park and ride before. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:35 am 

topper33 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Firstly I’d just like to say hello as I am a newbie on here. I’m going to my first GP at Silverstone this year with my Brother(I can’t wait!!) and have been getting loads of useful tips and info of here as to what to expect and what to do etc. The question I have is about the park and ride. We have booked weekend general admission tickets and will be using the park and ride from Sixfields Stadium. Does anybody know if the buses take you straight into the venue (as we would already have had to show our passes to get onto the bus), or do they just drop you off at the main entrance and we will have to queue up to get in there. I’m thinking more of the Sunday really, do I need to be on that first bus leaving at 5.30am for any chance of getting a good spot, so we would have to be looking at getting to the park and ride at about 5am to join the queue for the first bus? Also are there any tips or advice for me from anybody that have used the park and ride before. :)

Hi an welcome
I have a feeling the buses take you in but I can't be sure. Even if it don't and have to ur the que won't be a problem if your early and you do have to be v early to get a good spot. So go on one of the first buses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:55 pm 

Unfortunately, Las Ramblas is tourist central and a hotspot for crime. Its awful for pick pockets and muggers in broad daylight and at night is full of pimps and hookers.
Barcelona is normally a dull race aswell. Give me Silverstone, camping, mud, rain,, laughter and atmosphere anyday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:35 pm 

AlanK wrote:
Unfortunately, Las Ramblas is tourist central and a hotspot for crime. Its awful for pick pockets and muggers in broad daylight and at night is full of pimps and hookers.
Barcelona is normally a dull race aswell. Give me Silverstone, camping, mud, rain,, laughter and atmosphere anyday.

Thanks for that best pit my wallet on a chain then. :lol:
We have done the camping and mud at Silverstone alot and last year was too much for my brother so we are going seekin the sun and something different :D It will prob rain there this yr :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am 

Honestly, you`ve got to watch the *inaudible*. One of their favourite moves is to act friendly and put an arm around you and try and have a chat. Don`t be afraid to shove them away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 am 

AlanK wrote:
Honestly, you`ve got to watch the *inaudible*. One of their favourite moves is to act friendly and put an arm around you and try and have a chat. Don`t be afraid to shove them away.

thanks for your advice :thumbup: and ill look forward to the hookers :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:39 pm 
A2jdl wrote:
AlanK wrote:

We have done the camping and mud at Silverstone alot and last year was too much for my brother so we are going seekin the sun and something different :D It will prob rain there this yr :lol:

Barcelona is a millions times better than Silverstone, you can fly to Barcelona, stay 2 nights in a 4 star hotel, get a good general admission ticket all for the price of a gold grandstand ticket at Silverstone.

Enjoy Barcelona, it is a great city. All of the negative comments you posted about Barcelona you could say about London, New York etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:48 am 

lamo wrote:
A2jdl wrote:
AlanK wrote:

Barcelona is a millions times better than Silverstone, you can fly to Barcelona, stay 2 nights in a 4 star hotel, get a good general admission ticket all for the price of a gold grandstand ticket at Silverstone.

Enjoy Barcelona, it is a great city. All of the negative comments you posted about Barcelona you could say about London, New York etc etc.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm 

just booked 3 day tickets for Monaco

hoping for the rain :)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:13 pm 

Going to Barcelona this friday to attend my first live Formula One race weekend 8O

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:14 am 

Quick question guys,

Received my tickets for the Barcelona F1, Main Grandstand, top tier. Cant wait :D

However, I'd like to know whether one can visit and view the Grand Prix "General Admission" areas with a Grandstand ticket. I'd like to meet up with a few mates who have general admission only tickets at some point during the practise/qualy/race. Anyone know?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:32 am 

Witor wrote:
Quick question guys,

Received my tickets for the Barcelona F1, Main Grandstand, top tier. Cant wait :D

However, I'd like to know whether one can visit and view the Grand Prix "General Admission" areas with a Grandstand ticket. I'd like to meet up with a few mates who have general admission only tickets at some point during the practise/qualy/race. Anyone know?

A grandstand ticket does give you access to the GA areas

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 am 

Quote:
A grandstand ticket does give you access to the GA areas

Thanks matey. Thought it might, but great to get it confirmed :D

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:00 pm 

lamo wrote:
A2jdl wrote:
AlanK wrote:

Barcelona is a great city. I was being specific about the Las Ramblas area which is notorious for crime.
As for it being a million times better than Silverstone, I have to disagree. If its a weekend away you want, with sun, a beach, sightseeing, with a GP thrown in then yes but if its a motor racing weekend you want then there is a reason that Silverstone is the most attended race of the year. The circuit is better, the fans are amazing and the atmosphere is incredible. Show me another circuit totally packed out on a Friday, show me another circuit completely surrounded by campsites. You will not be able to.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:24 pm 

Does anyone know of a good venue for selling tickets? We have an extra pair front row hairpin for Montreal right on the apex and usually eBay is the place where I list, but I wonder if there's a place more F1 folk would look for tickets?

We buy a pair beside ours every year for the odd time the spouses will come. It's too expensive for them to come every year (thankfully, because I like knowing I'm not being judged as I reach for that third beer by 10:30am!!!)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:37 pm 

Z3RoadstarTXF1 wrote:
cristicondor wrote:
cristicondor wrote:
Z3RoadstarTXF1 wrote:
Just got my tickets this morning for Montreal (Grandstand 11, Section 2) and booked my plane tickets over the weekend.

Which brings me to my next step... booking hotel rooms.

I understand transportation to the circuit is good, so lots of options as far as places one could stay... any suggestions on good areas in terms of decent rates and good access? Or areas that aren't so good for transportation/travel time that would be best to avoid?

Thanks!

Try Place D'armes Hotel, it's 2 minutes away from a metro station, you'll be at the circuit in 25 minutes. Let me know if you need more info. I live 2 minutes away from the F1 circuit.

Hi R
I can't pm you, I'm too new here!
Berri-Uqam is kind of a hub station, you are at one stop from the circuit; ~ 3 minutes ride + walking it's ~ 30 minutes. During the race weekend it's quite crowded but they always increase the number of trains. So, you are very close to the circuit.
Quite a qualy today! I'm very excited it started.

Very good, thanks for the feedback! I'm excited, hotel reservations were the last item on my checklist, GP Tickets, Plane Reservations, Passport, and now hotel reservations. Now, I just need to wait for June to get here while also waiting for the Austin tickets to go on sale so I can jump on that be sure to get the seats I want to request... and keep my fingers crossed that Nurburgring will return at some point and that Spa stays on the calender so that in the next few years I might be able to check those off my wish list.

I've gone to every CDN GP since 2001 and stayed in many places. It's hard to find a decent rate this close to the race, but if you're finding rates to be astronomical I found the Days Inn @ Cote-Vertu isn't bad at all. On Friday and Saturday you can take the bus to Cote-Vertu and then Metro to Berri-UQAM and then hop on the yellow line one stop to Jean Drapeau. It's about a 45 minute transit time but with minimal transfers and only one fee each way it can save you a bunch of cash. Their rates just went up a little but should still be competitive compared to most other places closer to downtown. It's free parking as well over the week-end for your car and on the Sunday when the bus doesn't run it's only a $14 cab ride to Cote-Vertu Metro. If you like getting up early in the morning there is a Cora's 3 minutes drive along Cote-Vertu at the first shopping plaza.

We decided to pay a little extra this year and stay at Holiday Inn Longueuil, all the traffic to and from the track will be going the other way and I booked back in July 2012 and got a CAA rate for 4 nights = $565 total. Try and book the same room now it's over $1,100.

The Cote Vertu Days Inn I got a rezzie booked (always good to have a back-up) this February for four nights 2 Queen Beds only $340. (All prices CDN). I had a previous booking with them from July 2012 for around $550, so their rates by Feb had actually gone down and I cancelled the $550 one and booked at $340.

You can cancel up to one day before, so it makes sense to try and snag a few rezzies and closer to the race you can decide which one you want. I'm a bit skint right now and was thinking of going the cheaper route, but I think we're going to enjoy one race staying in Longueuil for the luxury of having no race traffic (until walking out of Jean Drapeau!) and being only one stop away. Next year it will be back to the cheapie hotels.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:02 pm 

I am going to hungaroring and that is my first F1 GP.. I count days :D
I am there all 3 days, gold 1. Any tips for Hungary guys and gals?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:17 am 

just booked up flights and hotel for Monza - so excited, been a fan for over 25 years and never been to a live race

I am a bit of a miser thought so considering GA or one of the laterale Parabolica or parabolica interna cheap grandstands seats, anyone reccomend any particular area?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm 

Hi all

I attended Silverstone a few years ago and went down the camping route. I am going again this year, but will be staying in Northampton instead. I am organising transfers, but was wondering what time the party finishes at on the Sunday night? I thought it was about 9.30, but the official website says the venue closes at 19.45.

Could anyone confirm.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:38 pm 

Well i just got back from Barcelona :D i had a great time there, and there was really good atmosphere at the track and i enjoyed the race and couldn't of asked for a better result :D

The sun made a nice change from the rain at Silverstone :lol: I didn't need to worry about the pick pocketers etc.. of Barcelona its a really nice and friendly city.

The only downsides to Silverstone is the long trek from Barcelona to the track, and the cost of a beer at the track and lack of decent food there :frown:
The actual track site is really pretty it has lots of trees and grassed picknik areas and is kind off set in the mountains.

Overall it was a great experience and weekend. Can reccomend it :thumbup: