planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:07 am 

Anyone know a good bar here (montreal) where they will be showing the race tomorrow?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:01 pm 

Anyone planning to go to new york next year? I have been there two times and fell in love with the city. I was driving my car when I heard there would be a gp next year. Almost had to pull over from excitement. My farvourite sport in my favourite city...

When will the race dates for next year be fixed? I really want to book this as quickly as possible. And in case the rumours are correct that they won't be ready on time, we have the indy 500 as backup plan. So either way, I'll have a smile on my face for the next 12 months...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:03 am 

My serious advice would be to go somewhere besides Monza first. I went there for my first real F1 race in 1989 and every single seater race since has been .... ahhh ... second rate. Until I went to the Indy 500 this year. Save Monza for a third or fourth race. And try to go Thursday night thru Sunday. The buildup is as much fun as the race. Doesn't hurt that the scenery is ... Italian.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 pm 

Cheap silverstone tickets: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... CA:GB:1123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:41 am 

Brian_f1 wrote:

Damn I wish I'd seen this post, I really needed more tickets! :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:45 pm 

Tickets for the US Grand Prix in Austin Texas went on sale a week ago, reserved seat grandstands sold out fast, only general admission tickets left.

So much for the theory that Americans don't support F1 ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:00 pm 

My goal is to hit Canada and Austin next year. I would have gone to Austin this year but I'm waiting to be convinced the bugs are worked out and that there will actually be a GP.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 pm 

I like the look of the New Jersey track they had Vettel going around. Bit of nostalgia for the old US street tracks like Phoenix and Detroit. Having the New York skyline as the background is probably better then it being in New York with no backdrop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:50 am 

I just got back from Canada. The Montreal race was spectacular. I live in Asia so having been to Sepang and Singapore, I rate Montreal the best in terms of racing and the fans. I'll give a quick review on all 3 tracks.

Singapore has great entertainment, with concerts and plenty of nearby shopping as it's located in the heart of the city. The track is just outside several major hotels and the subway. It's incredibly convenient and you don't have to 'struggle' to get into and out of the track. Due to the nature of the track, there isn't much overtaking and tyres don't wear out much as it's a night race. Singapore itself is already very hot, even at night! So i can imagine it will be super difficult for drivers and fans in the day. Great for TV audience, but not so good for those on track. Atmosphere is great as being a night race, it's kinda special. But you can tell it's more of a business event. Many corporate suites are taken up and free tickets given to clients. So you don't actually see a sell out in qualifying and even race day as not a lot are hardcore racing fans.

Sepang is a great track. Not an incredible atmosphere as the local population are not really into it. It's far from the city and not accessible. Forget about entertainment too. But the racing is good though.

Back to Montreal. There are pros and cons to this track. It's accessible but getting in and out can be a little difficult as there's only one subway station to the track. So with 100,000 ppl attending, it's actually quite a chore to get out. The racing though was the best. Conditions were challenging for the drivers. More importantly, the fans were great. It seemed like most of those attending were serious racing fans, cheering for the drivers, unlike Singapore, which can be a bit muted. Plus if you want some shopping, you can tour NYC first, which is an hour's flight away.

Overall, my take is go for the traditional races first. F1 truly lives in those tracks! The new circuits are always more like business events and it kinda takes away the racing spark. I'm targeting Melbourne next and would certainly hope to attend Spa and Interlagos someday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 am 

Quick question for anyone who knows. All of the Silverstone tickets have the customer's name printed on them; would this present an issue with buying a ticket second-hand and still attending the race?

Would hate to spend loads on a ticket and transport etc only to arrive at the gate and be asked for ID to prove I had the same name as the one on the ticket!
:?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:51 am 

Adaemus wrote:
Quick question for anyone who knows. All of the Silverstone tickets have the customer's name printed on them; would this present an issue with buying a ticket second-hand and still attending the race?

Would hate to spend loads on a ticket and transport etc only to arrive at the gate and be asked for ID to prove I had the same name as the one on the ticket!

I dunno but I had an email yesterday from BookF1.com who said my tickets still haven't been printed - they have 2 weeks left so they better hurry!

It's the first time I've heard about the name thing but I'll let you know when I receive mine :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

I dunno but I had an email yesterday from BookF1.com who said my tickets still haven't been printed - they have 2 weeks left so they better hurry!

It's the first time I've heard about the name thing but I'll let you know when I receive mine :thumbup:

Cool, thanks. I buoght mine all above board last year, it's only because it's getting closer that I'm getting the itch, so if I could pick up a ticket on eBay or something I could look into going.

I don't remember being ID'd at all certainly, but it's a massive expense and hassle if I were to turn up at the gate and be refused entry because I wasn't Bob Smith!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 pm 

Drunkenly agreed to make it 3 GP's this year a few days ago, I'm going to Silverstone too. Staying in Coventry (only place to get a hotel at this short notice, expenses paid for it) and getting the train to Northampton and then the shuttle bus. From what I hear it's a nightmare getting to/from the circuit. How long is it likely to take to get from Northampton to the circuit?

Also, I'm going GA (whilst my cousin is in a grandstand on the pit straight), where's the best place to watch it with a view of a screen to keep an eye on all the action?

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:40 pm 

The_Fish wrote:
Drunkenly agreed to make it 3 GP's this year a few days ago, I'm going to Silverstone too. Staying in Coventry (only place to get a hotel at this short notice, expenses paid for it) and getting the train to Northampton and then the shuttle bus. From what I hear it's a nightmare getting to/from the circuit. How long is it likely to take to get from Northampton to the circuit?

Also, I'm going GA (whilst my cousin is in a grandstand on the pit straight), where's the best place to watch it with a view of a screen to keep an eye on all the action?

Cheers

I will be staying in Daventry, any info on transportation would also be appreciated, GA as well so would like to know some sweet spots

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:22 am 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
The_Fish wrote:

Cheers

I will be staying in Daventry, any info on transportation would also be appreciated, GA as well so would like to know some sweet spots

GA at Club corner was sweet last year, topped my Ham v last lap last corner action

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:22 am 

WelshWayne1978 wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
The_Fish wrote:

Cheers

GA at Club corner was sweet last year, topped my Ham v last lap last corner action

Jeez that makes me sound bad.. It's By Ham not my ham!!!! Haha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:39 pm 

Ecclestone again creating some doubt about the GP in new jersey next year. Probably just to give them an extra puch so that they'll be ready in time but still...

When will the calendar for 2013 be finalized? I would like to book my hotel and tickets as quickly as possible and have been checking the internet every day for the last month.

In case the GP won't take place, I hope they will decide this as quickly as possible... than we're of to the indy 500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 pm 

Going to silverstone on saturday as GA ticket holder. Any other places other than club?

Iv been before from the midlands to the circuit on a race weekend driving and yes there has been queues but generally they flow a decent speed. Get early and you wont have a problem. Arrive late and be prepared to miss some action making it your fault!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 pm 

DJKIMI wrote:
Going to silverstone on saturday as GA ticket holder. Any other places other than club?

Iv been before from the midlands to the circuit on a race weekend driving and yes there has been queues but generally they flow a decent speed. Get early and you wont have a problem. Arrive late and be prepared to miss some action making it your fault!

Most of the circuit has GA areas.. If you do the three days you can test a few until you find one you're happy with

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:04 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

Cool, thanks. I buoght mine all above board last year, it's only because it's getting closer that I'm getting the itch, so if I could pick up a ticket on eBay or something I could look into going.

I don't remember being ID'd at all certainly, but it's a massive expense and hassle if I were to turn up at the gate and be refused entry because I wasn't Bob Smith!

Just had my tickets :] :] :] :] :]

I can confirm there's no name on mine, and they're 3 day platinum tickets so I think it's safe to assume there won't be names on any others.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

I can confirm there's no name on mine, and they're 3 day platinum tickets so I think it's safe to assume there won't be names on any others.

Ticket do have names on them but only that of the person who made the booking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:45 pm 

WelshWayne1978 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

Ticket do have names on them but only that of the person who made the booking

Thanks for the info guys, will be checking Ebay and my bank balance over the next couple weeks! Would love to just get a cheap Sunday ticket so if anyone has a mate pulling out etc give me a shout... I've never braved GA before but that's only because I've been on my own...nobody to guard my spot! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 pm 

I e-mailed and asked the guys at Silverstone, anyone can use the tickets regardless of the printed name.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:53 am 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
I e-mailed and asked the guys at Silverstone, anyone can use the tickets regardless of the printed name.

Excellent, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:40 am 

Just got my Silverstone tickets for 3 days. Never been to a GP before, really can't wait. Feel like a big kid again. I haven't read this thread completely yet but will do to get some tips.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:41 am 

ajax wrote:
Just got my Silverstone tickets for 3 days. Never been to a GP before, really can't wait. Feel like a big kid again. I haven't read this thread completely yet but will do to get some tips.

My first GP too - 3 day ticket also

See you there! :]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:59 pm 

I DONT have my Silverstone tickets yet, I moved houses after ordering the tickets dead early (last December). But the Silverstone people wouldn't change the delivery address when I contacted them a few months ago, just told me to set up a royal mail re-direction. It was apparently sent to my old post office so last week i told them to actually re-direct it to my current address. But....

ROYAL MAIL LOST MY TICKETS! Waaaaaaaaaah!!! :( This was supposed to be my first GP and I'm stressing about how I will ever get my tickets on time, since Royal mail just told me to ask the senders to raise an "investigation" on them. How the hell will that help me get to the GP?

I'm on the verge of crying :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 pm 

How did you purchase the tickets? If it's online then you should have a E-mail confirming you have the tickets.... if so there must be a phone number/E-mail to contact about missing tickets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:41 pm 

f1madman wrote:
I DONT have my Silverstone tickets yet, I moved houses after ordering the tickets dead early (last December). But the Silverstone people wouldn't change the delivery address when I contacted them a few months ago, just told me to set up a royal mail re-direction. It was apparently sent to my old post office so last week i told them to actually re-direct it to my current address. But....

ROYAL MAIL LOST MY TICKETS! Waaaaaaaaaah!!! :( This was supposed to be my first GP and I'm stressing about how I will ever get my tickets on time, since Royal mail just told me to ask the senders to raise an "investigation" on them. How the hell will that help me get to the GP?

I'm on the verge of crying :(
MM did you do it on credit card? if so contact them and explain your situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:43 am 

I was at the 2005 Turkish GP, the V10 sound was awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:44 pm 

I went to the German GP last year. I hope to go to another race soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:35 pm 

I have been given a free ticket to the race day at Silverstone it my first Gp :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:07 pm 

Callisto wrote:
I have been given a free ticket to the race day at Silverstone it my first Gp :)

Lucky get! :lol:

I'm still umming and ahhing...don't think I can really afford it but the temptation to just buy a spare ticket on ebay is immense!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:18 pm 

red-white fanatic wrote:
Ecclestone again creating some doubt about the GP in new jersey next year. Probably just to give them an extra puch so that they'll be ready in time but still...

When will the calendar for 2013 be finalized? I would like to book my hotel and tickets as quickly as possible and have been checking the internet every day for the last month.

In case the GP won't take place, I hope they will decide this as quickly as possible... than we're of to the indy 500

Ha I'm kinda doing the same thing! If New Jersey happens I'll do that and Montreal. If it doesn't I'll try to do the 500 and Montreal. I don't think the calendar will be finalised till near the end of the year, reckon it will be important to book asap?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:34 am 

Adaemus wrote:
Callisto wrote:

I'm still umming and ahhing...don't think I can really afford it but the temptation to just buy a spare ticket on ebay is immense!

I might have a spare ticket for sale if you are interested. GA, 3 day

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:06 am 

I'm also going to Silverstone GA 3 days. Would like to know where are good places (high enough ground) to take pics... thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:18 am 

Jinx wrote:
I'm also going to Silverstone GA 3 days. Would like to know where are good places (high enough ground) to take pics... thanks in advance!

Your best opportunity will be the Friday free practice sessions when you can use almost any grandstand, I have some brilliant photos last year

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:36 am 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Adaemus wrote:
Callisto wrote:

I might have a spare ticket for sale if you are interested. GA, 3 day

Thanks, only thing is with GA its tough to do on your own! Nobody to watch your seat when you need to run to the portaloos... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:08 am 

I'm going to Hungarian GP end of July.. my first GP =)

I'm wondering though.... i thought it's just friday-sunday so i reserved the hotel for these 3 days only. Now on the ticket i see that theres a pitlane walk on thursday. Now my question is... Is it worth going?

Also, how long before qualy,race do you have to be at the circuit etc ...
I have a ticket where I'm on a different part of the circuit each day - gold 1(friday), super gold(saturday) and silver 3 on race day?

Thanks !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 am 

kingsix wrote:
I'm going to Hungarian GP end of July.. my first GP =)

I'm wondering though.... i thought it's just friday-sunday so i reserved the hotel for these 3 days only. Now on the ticket i see that theres a pitlane walk on thursday. Now my question is... Is it worth going?

Also, how long before qualy,race do you have to be at the circuit etc ...
I have a ticket where I'm on a different part of the circuit each day - gold 1(friday), super gold(saturday) and silver 3 on race day?

Thanks !

I didn't know about the pitwalk when I went to Spa last year, some people I was drinking with said it was amazing and hardly any fans were there. Since then I've been in the pit lane at Melbourne so won't be going to the pit walk in Hungary (also going here) but if you have the spare time it might well be worth a visit.