It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59 am 

Adaemus wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Adaemus wrote:
Callisto wrote:
I have been given a free ticket to the race day at Silverstone it my first Gp :)

Lucky get! :lol:

I'm still umming and ahhing...don't think I can really afford it but the temptation to just buy a spare ticket on ebay is immense!

I might have a spare ticket for sale if you are interested. GA, 3 day

Thanks, only thing is with GA its tough to do on your own! Nobody to watch your seat when you need to run to the portaloos... :lol:

I'm going GA on my own to Silverstone (my cousin is in a grandstand, freebie :( ) and it will be easy. Who needs a seat? Will be a piece of gherkin for 1 person to get a good spot for the race, easy to squeeze in 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:40 am 

I'm slightly confused - I've got 3-day Platinum tickets for Abbey and apparently there's a pit lane walk Friday morning - does my ticket entitle me to this?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:43 pm 

Anyone got any experience with the Elephant campsite in (well, fairly near) Francorchamps? I've just booked a plot for this years race... I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:52 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
I'm slightly confused - I've got 3-day Platinum tickets for Abbey and apparently there's a pit lane walk Friday morning - does my ticket entitle me to this?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry Silverstone is one of the very few tracks that hold an open pitwalk for ticket holders, only people with VIP passes can even get inside the track! So to be the one to tell you No sorry you won't be able to take part

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:50 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Anyone got any experience with the Elephant campsite in (well, fairly near) Francorchamps? I've just booked a plot for this years race... I think.

Yeah, stayed there last year. It's about a mile away from the circuit, easily walking distance. It's more painful on the way back as it's uphill.

There's a bar just around the corner from the campsite that serves food and is proper cheap. Bottles of Jupiler for €1.20 last year. Cracking atmosphere in that bar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:23 pm 

Any tips for the Hockenheim GP? Just bought tickets for the 3day event. We are getting flights down and camping. Any recommendation for a cheap field to camp in? I've seen a place for £55 for three days but don't know how legit it is (is that a good price)? Anything else we should do while there? Apart from have lots of weiser beer, german sausages and supporting Lewis H. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:04 am 

GA tickets this weekend :D

need to leave at 2am to drive down to get there at decent time.

wheres the best place to stand/sit etc with GA tickets ?

looks like you can go just about anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:33 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

I'm booked in that campsite as well.... though as it's my first trip, i can only repeat what everyone's told me and that it's a great site, with a decent bar and a bakery nearby (Fresh baked bread every am.... nice :D)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:33 pm 

Are paddock club passes worth it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:05 am 

HUNGARY

Hi - I see there's a few people doing Hungary this year.

Can anyone give me anymore advice about transport from Budapest to the track? All I've come across on the web are references to there being a few buses laid on, or recommendations to either get a taxi or drive. Also, seen a few comments about traffic chaos...

Any info would be appreciated. I've done Spa, Hockenheim, Monza, Barcelona in the past, so I'm comfortable with fighting with foreign public transport on Race Day.

TIA.

Regards,
FJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:48 pm 

F108 wrote:
Are paddock club passes worth it?

In my personal opinion no, I got weekend paddock club tickets for the Canadian Grand Prix and while you do get great food, are able to enjoy the race in air-conditioned comfort, and special access like pitlane walks and access to the support paddock, it feels more like you are at a Supper Club than an F1 race. You don't really get a feel for the true atmosphere of the race like you do from the grandstands or even some of the better general admission areas. The view itself from the paddock club is typically good if you love pitstops and the start, but that is about it. Nothing really happens on a pitstraight most of the time, and if you really want a view that is special I'd recommend grandstands like Gold 8 at Spa, Club at Silverstone, S12 at Montreal and probably now looking at the diagram turn 1 at Austin as you can watch a slow corner, pistraight where the grid lines up, pitlane and some other turns (I am able to see Eau Rouge from gold 8 at Spa).

These grandstands are all expensive but covered and a much better deal than the paddock club, while its the peak of luxury, I'd personally rather be out with the common folk and fully feel the atmosphere of the race.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:14 pm 

Fat_Jogger wrote:
HUNGARY

Can anyone give me anymore advice about transport from Budapest to the track? All I've come across on the web are references to there being a few buses laid on, or recommendations to either get a taxi or drive. Also, seen a few comments about traffic chaos...

Any info would be appreciated. I've done Spa, Hockenheim, Monza, Barcelona in the past, so I'm comfortable with fighting with foreign public transport on Race Day.

TIA.

Regards,
FJ

I'm also heading out to Budapest next week, no idea how we're getting to the circuit at present. I reckon it'll be easy once you're there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:50 pm 

Hi Mr Fish!

Quick update... I contacted my hotel to see what they knew. It looks like there will be no drama getting to the track - they've advised me to ask at reception when I arrive. Thinking about it now, that makes sense - when we were at Monza a couple of years ago, our hotel in Milan laid on a shuttle bus to the track.

I guess this hotel will be doing the same thing. Probably cost a few quid, but as it saves on faff - and compared to the overall price of the weekend - I think it'll be fine...

Regards,
FJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 pm 

Anyone going to Spa or has been to Spa before?

Im going this year and was wondering if it was possible to buy general admission tickets on sunday at the entrance (same day of the GP)

Any thoughts please?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 pm 

I am going to Belgium this year to see Formula 1 - of course. Can anyone recommend a hotel near the track?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:57 am 

Nxet_DK wrote:
I am going to Belgium this year to see Formula 1 - of course. Can anyone recommend a hotel near the track?

I think you'll find is nearly impossible to arrange a hotel near the track this late, unless you're loaded with money (in which case, congrats :-P )

I'm going with my two brothers again this year and one of them has been looking for a hotel. The cheapest that he found was around 500 euro per night. So we are just going to drive home on saturday and drive up on sunday morning. It is only a 2 hour drive.

I hope he's been looking in the wrong places but I doubt you'll find a hotel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 am 

I live in Vienna and might pop over to Budapest for the race Sunday morning and get a €80 general admission ticket. Is it really worth it? I have 50" HD telly at home, tablet app, wifi etc. and beer in the fridge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 am 

No I of course don't know how people are getting to Spa but for those with transport of their own, Belgium has a massive network of lovely self catering houses, flats etc. all over the place which are incredibly cheap to stay in by English standards. We always book one for a week or two when we visit the race and have a great time in the area the circuit is located. It's beautiful.

I am not going this year but plan to next year for either the F1 or the Spa 24 hours.

We normally get a very comfortable house in a quiet location for the same price as a weekend in a Hotel near the circuit.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:03 am 

have you looked into camping? I'm not sure how much space would be left this close to the event, but i'm driving over and camping for a few days

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
No I of course don't know how people are getting to Spa but for those with transport of their own, Belgium has a massive network of lovely self catering houses, flats etc. all over the place which are incredibly cheap to stay in by English standards. We always book one for a week or two when we visit the race and have a great time in the area the circuit is located. It's beautiful.

I am not going this year but plan to next year for either the F1 or the Spa 24 hours.

We normally get a very comfortable house in a quiet location for the same price as a weekend in a Hotel near the circuit.

Hi A_W, Im going to Spa this year (Pouhon, bronze section) I was wondering if it is possible to buy general admission tickets on sunday at the entrance (same day of the GP)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:48 am 

La Vieille Garde wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Hi A_W, Im going to Spa this year (Pouhon, bronze section) I was wondering if it is possible to buy general admission tickets on sunday at the entrance (same day of the GP)

I can't guarantee it but I believe this has always been possible in the past. General entry has never sold out as far as I can remember.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:20 am 

Fat_Jogger wrote:
HUNGARY

TIA.

Regards,
FJ

Free public transportation from Budapest to the track is offered to ticket holders. Details are written on the actual ticket. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:28 pm 

I have attended the British GP this year on GA and here is my feedback on it for anyone interested for next year.

I couldn't go in Friday due to travel issues i only arrived in the UK on Friday evening.

On Saturday we walked around the track to see the decent spots which were at Vale, Becketts and Stowe, we tried the Farm and Village complex but couldn't get a decent view so we thought the 3 spots i mentioned were better.

At Vale you get very close to the action, the cars are slowing down heavily so you see them for quite a while, no chance for an overtake in F1 (maybe in other series) and there are 2 screens very close by for you to watch the live timing and tv when the cars are not near, very muddy.

Stowe is where you would see the most overtakes and wheel to wheel, but i couldn't see a screen nearby (or maybe there was but it was far away i don't remember), the action there was present in all series (GP2, GP3, Porsche and F1) so this is the were to be to watch the most overtakes IMO and it is usually crowded, very muddy.

Becketts is another story, you see the cars coming in at full throttle, take the Left-Right fast chicane then take a small right then to the very wide turn and the full throttle corner cut they do when entering the straight before stowe, all that can happen in front of you if you select the right spot (which i did :) ). There are 2 screens there so you can see the action but they are quite a distance away so you don't see the fine details such as driver names and times in the rolling tape at the end of the screen. In the wide turn right after Becketts is where you can expect the some overtakes in the lower series and the most accidents as well (the GP2 and GP3 races had A LOT of accidents there, i don't remember which is which but i recall 3 cars hitting each other). in F1 we also got to see the blown tire there as this was very close to where i stand, Romain getting off, and Di resta struggling. and the Webber vs Alonso battle was very good to see there.

We chose Becketts for the screens and mainly because we can see the cars doing so many things in there as you see nearly 5 turns + acceleration and braking.

Overall i would say it was an excellent weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience there, the track facilities could have been better (bathrooms and such), the food was OK throughout, there was always something to do with the other partners and booths (LG had a very good place there and very entertaining playing the F1 game in the LG's open wheeled car cockpit). I would love to do it again in Silverstone or any other circuit.

What i would do differently, USE RAIN/MUD BOOTS, get a bigger umbrella (we were sliding all over the place), get a chair and some drinks before going (we didn't get chairs for all the 3 days, ended standing up the whole time or sitting on the gravel). GA is good but for next time i would select a grandstand, either Becketts or Stowe with as close to the screens as possible, its nice to have a roof over the head in Silverstone.

Renting this could also be very handy when staying on track for the race and qualifying as you do miss out on a couple of things. it was 40 pounds to rent on race day which i thought was a bit expensive but it would have improved the quality for me so maybe i should have went for it.

For the say we were staying at a local bed and breakfast in Daventry which was very nice friendly ( the night in a twin room was for 65 pounds), but the problem was that since we are not from the UK we didn't expect that transportation would be THAT expensive but as there was 4 of us we ended up taking a taxi (there aren't many ways to choose from to go to Silverstone) to the track each day and dividing its cost but still that is a lot of money, my advice to anyone going RENT A CAR it would save you a ton and make transportation relatively easy if you have a decent GPS app even on your mobile. Daventry itself is very nice and quite, you can get everything that you need from there but the shops close pretty early (even Tesco) and there is a local club there, which i didn't enter, if anyone is interested (but i wouldn't recommend it, go to Northampton if you want to it would be better there )

I hope this helps.

Edit: added the stay details.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm 

That FanVision thing looks like a bit of fun.
It turns out they have a free Friday offer where you can use it free at certain races for the Friday of the weekend.
Go here to learn more: http://www.fanvision.com/f1/fanfriday

Mitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:22 pm 

I would like to go to the USA GP but its to expensive. I have found a very funny contest were you can get the travel for free :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: ....take a look... http://www.youtube.com/formulasantander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:33 am 

SPA GP - Pit walk?

Hey guys, I head off for Europe in a couple days to attend the Spa GP (first time).
Looking at info when purchasing tickets months ago there was mention of a Thursday Pit walk, but now I can't find anything about it. Anyone else out there going to Spa who knows more?

Plus, what time do the gates open? (on all days)

Thanks in advance for any help :)

I must say the info pack I received was nothing more than the tickets and an A4 printout map. (A little disappointing compared to the info-filled packs I get for the Australian GP)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:17 pm 

Spasa-Pasa wrote:
SPA GP - Pit walk?

Hey guys, I head off for Europe in a couple days to attend the Spa GP (first time).
Looking at info when purchasing tickets months ago there was mention of a Thursday Pit walk, but now I can't find anything about it. Anyone else out there going to Spa who knows more?

I must say the info pack I received was nothing more than the tickets and an A4 printout map. (A little disappointing compared to the info-filled packs I get for the Australian GP)

Hi mate,

for the pitwalk as long as you've got a weekend pass you should be able to rock up to the main entrance and queue up to get in....that's what its been the last 3 years I've been anyway! Only trouble I've had is prising myself away from the beer at the racing hotel! I can't remember what time it opens but I think it is about 3pm.....be prepared though some people will queue from much earlier to get a good possie at their favourite drivers garage.

Every other day of the weekend the circuit is open from approx 7am, maybe 0730...I can't be sure!

Anyway we'll be there, staying at Camping L'eau Rouge, and will be GA. Can't wait! Hope you enjoy it as much as we always have!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:25 pm 

Talking about the pitwalk at Spa, does anyone know if they have any sort of previsions for Disabled attendees? I'm hoping to get in there, but i'm told it might be impossible with my wheelchair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:38 pm 

marky4schumi wrote:
Spasa-Pasa wrote:
SPA GP - Pit walk?

Hi mate,

for the pitwalk as long as you've got a weekend pass you should be able to rock up to the main entrance and queue up to get in....that's what its been the last 3 years I've been anyway! Only trouble I've had is prising myself away from the beer at the racing hotel! I can't remember what time it opens but I think it is about 3pm.....be prepared though some people will queue from much earlier to get a good possie at their favourite drivers garage.

Every other day of the weekend the circuit is open from approx 7am, maybe 0730...I can't be sure!

Anyway we'll be there, staying at Camping L'eau Rouge, and will be GA. Can't wait! Hope you enjoy it as much as we always have!

Thanks! I will try and get there a little earlier to line up.
Have grandstand tickets so don't need to worry about lining up to get a good spot, but I don't want to miss a chance to be at the track - who knows when I'll get the chance to go to Spa again.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:56 pm 

Dr Lee wrote:
Talking about the pitwalk at Spa, does anyone know if they have any sort of previsions for Disabled attendees? I'm hoping to get in there, but i'm told it might be impossible with my wheelchair

I don't I'm afraid mate. I know that there are no steps but that it is pretty sloped. I guess it would be best to e-mail the circuit itself regarding this, or even Stavelot Tourist office as in my experience they are really helpful in getting you information from the circuit. As daft as it sounds I feel using them as a middle man is more likely to get you the answers you need.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:10 am 

Dr Lee wrote:

I believe you can normally access the circuit at the La Source hairpin entry. If you can park somewhere between Francorchamps and La Source then there is a pretty straightforward journey by foot and wheelchair to the circuit without being much of a hill. La Source is also basically on the same level as the F1 pit lane and they certainly used to allow you to cross the circuit on the Thursday and enter the pits via the exit of the pitlane.

If you park up near the large entrance near Eau Rouge you will have to get the wheelchair up the long hill that takes the cars from La Source to Eau Rouge. It is possible but it's fairly steep.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:41 pm 

hey guys, i'm looking at the Spa website to find the right person to contact... and i've no idea who it is i need to speak to as there's a number of different contact options :uhoh:

I believe i'm parked up near eau rouge.... the hill isn't much of an issue as i will have assistance if needed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:58 pm 

Dr Lee wrote:
hey guys, i'm looking at the Spa website to find the right person to contact... and i've no idea who it is i need to speak to as there's a number of different contact options :uhoh:

I believe i'm parked up near eau rouge.... the hill isn't much of an issue as i will have assistance if needed

Can't help you with regard to who to contact but I do know from past experience that you can access the circuit without problem on the run down to Eau Rouge and then get pushed up to the pit lane along the circuit itself on Thursdays.

However, although you may have parking for the race weekend at Eau Rouge, I would recommend arriving early for the pit lane walkabout and trying to park on the little link road from the roundabout just south of Francorchamps and the La Source hairpin. Normally on Thursdays it's been fairly quiet and if you point out that you want wheelchair access to the pitlane you may well be able to park very close indeed. Worth a go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:41 am 

Got my Spa ticket (bronze) :D and I'll probably be sitting at Pouhon, I'd love to have a PF1 meetup so if anybody else feels like it too let me know!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:25 pm 

I never mentioned how well Hockenheim went. It was a good weekend. Was gutted about Lewis having a puncture though (but nice to see Button promoted). If you go in 2014 I highly recommend it. Remember to take waterproofs though (something I didn't do :(). The circuit feels really old and traditional (kind of like Silverstone before it was redeveloped). We got to see all the race trucks as well that was kind of cool, and a great opportunity to see the Jim Clark memorial.

The storms on the Friday and Saturday made for interesting practise and qualifying. Camping F1 was really good, a bit far out from the circuit. The journey on public transport was so long (From England to Hockenheim). We arrived at 1:30am in the morning and had to set-up the tent, that was a bit of a mission. Thank god for the head torch and GPS on the android phone (we had the campsite coords, took us right to it).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:49 pm 

La Vieille Garde wrote:
Got my Spa ticket (bronze) :D and I'll probably be sitting at Pouhon, I'd love to have a PF1 meetup so if anybody else feels like it too let me know!

We are also Bronze and will be sitting and the tight left hander before Pouhon. Anyone else got some tips on Bronze spots?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:00 am 

Will be staying in Eau Rouge Campsite and hopefully find a good spot around Pouhon as well! Can't wait, it's my first F1 race!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:50 pm 

bought my ticket today. I can only go on sunday. On the one hand, it will suck when I'm watching qualifying on tv, on the other hand it will make the warm up lap on sunday all the more special. Can't wait to hear those engines again. This year only one GP, next year with a bit of luck New york, Germany and Spa. One great summer... fast forward please...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:12 pm 

what an insane week.... brilliant track.... lovely people working there...

but a lot of issues around the Disabled provisions.... far too many to mention tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:49 pm 

This might be a stupid question, but are people allowed to bring in food and/or drink (non alcoholic) to a race?
Does it vary based on the track?

Thanks,

Mitch