planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Attending a GP
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:58 pm 

Any ideas for a good, not too expensive hotel near Suzuka for the GP weekend? I'm thinking I might try to get down there this year.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:28 am 

Hey all
im attending the Silverstone race, when i booked the tickets im sure i read somewhere that on Thursday lunchtime there is an open pit lane this year, like what other circuits do. But now i cant find any mention of it, does anyone know if it is happening and when ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:43 am 

details are meant to be released this coming week. keep checking their website. It is only for 3 day ticket holders though

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:45 am 

AlanK wrote:
details are meant to be released this coming week. keep checking their website. It is only for 3 day ticket holders though

i have a 3 day ticket, so is it happening ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:54 am 

A2jdl wrote:
AlanK wrote:

Yeah but it's limited to a few thousand, it'll be showing your 3 day tickets on Thursday morning to get a pass for one of the Pitlane sessions

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:55 am 

ForTheLoveOfRacing wrote:
A2jdl wrote:
AlanK wrote:

Yeah but it's limited to a few thousand, it'll be showing your 3 day tickets on Thursday morning to get a pass for one of the Pitlane sessions

:thumbup: cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:50 am 

AlanK wrote:

its been announced now

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/news/silve ... -thursday/

cant wait :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:29 pm 

Hi

I'm about to buy a pair of tickets for the covered stand in turn 1 (Abbey) at Silverstone.
Been for last 4 years in various stands.

I know I can sit elsewhere on Friday/Saturday but I was wondering if anyone else with a pair of decent grandstand seats fancies swapping half way through the race? Just to see some different potential overtaking spots, etc....

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:45 am 

sherm300m wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
One more question?

Anyone knows how early are Suzuka tickets mailed out? I actually require a visa, so that's kinda important for me to know!

I'm going there this year too. Meet for a pint or in this case sake?

If I end up going (it's 75-25 in favor of going, just gotta convince teh missus), sure thing. I'll leave a message here in that case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:57 pm 

Mobile data signal at Silverstone: Does anyone know if it's worth taking my iPad for all the Sky gubbins? I am on the 3 network. Or maybe there is WifI? I have BY Openzone too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:28 pm 

tentimes wrote:
Mobile data signal at Silverstone: Does anyone know if it's worth taking my iPad for all the Sky gubbins? I am on the 3 network. Or maybe there is WifI? I have BY Openzone too.

I had ok coverage last year I think was with 3G.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:44 am 

So it's this week, I'm so fricken excited.

How you all getting there, who's camping where??

I'm going Thursday morning and camping at whittlebury. Hope it doesn't rain too much as my rear wheel drive car doesn't work too well on mud!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:50 am 

davethepirate wrote:
So it's this week, I'm so fricken excited.

How you all getting there, who's camping where??

I'm going Thursday morning and camping at whittlebury. Hope it doesn't rain too much as my rear wheel drive car doesn't work too well on mud!!

Supposed to rain on and off all day Sat and rain most of Sun morning/afternoon. Could all change though.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:52 am 

Rain or shine, nothing can be worse than 2012!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 am 

I'm there Wednesday morning, xcweather.co.uk is showing decent weather. A fella I work with races pigeons and swears by it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 am 

Doing the weekend. Hamilton Fields Campsite in Silverstone village.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:02 pm 

davethepirate wrote:

Well said. 2012 was an organisational disaster... I spent my entire Friday parked in the queue on the main road... Must have been over 6 hours... Could hear FP1 and 2 going on though! :P

Pick 10 Competition
-1st Place 2014 Germany GP "Relentless Rosberg"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:13 pm 

davethepirate wrote:

that true, that put my Brother off going to Silverstone for life :lol:

WE are going Thursday morning and staying at Woodlands i too cant wait :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:16 pm 

jensons button wrote:
I'm there Wednesday morning, xcweather.co.uk is showing decent weather. A fella I work with races pigeons and swears by it!

:thumbup:

accweather its looking to be ok also, its basically saying sun / cloud just the odd shower each day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:25 pm 

A2jdl wrote:
jensons button wrote:

accweather its looking to be ok also, its basically saying sun / cloud just the odd shower each day

Accuweather is more famous for being hilariously inaccurate that accurate these days. It said a 'localised tornado' was due to hit my area a few weeks ago. I live in suburban London, it was sunny all day.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:37 pm 

I'm there just for the Sunday sat in the Stowe Grandstand. It will make a change from queueing all night waiting for the sprint at 5am with GA tickets!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
A2jdl wrote:
jensons button wrote:

Accuweather is more famous for being hilariously inaccurate that accurate these days. It said a 'localised tornado' was due to hit my area a few weeks ago. I live in suburban London, it was sunny all day.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:44 pm 

Im doing the Sunday at Lowes hairpin. Won the tickets by setting fastest lap on a racing simulator. Well chuffed, last time I attended a GP at Silverstone was 2002!

Can't wait

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:20 pm 

I think it was last year that it was raining all through FP1 (or perhaps FP2 - definitely the Friday) and myself, my dad and my brother were sitting up at Club. Some hero got a mexican wave started and eventually it went onto the other grandstands. Seeing an uncovered grandstand do a mexican wave with umbrellas was class.

It should be noted, I get a ridiculous amount of pleasure from a Mexican wave. I think they are hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. If you locked me in a stadium with 50,000 other people and made us mexican wave for 2 hours, I'd probably enjoy it a lot. I just think it's hilarious.

Speaking of weather - in all the camping weekends I've been on (for drinking, for F1 or for music festival) it's always ended with the weather being pretty crappy for at least a day. In 2011 we came back one day and my mate's tent was about 3 rows of cars away wedged under someone's car.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:27 pm 

GoOnJenson wrote:
Im doing the Sunday at Lowes hairpin. Won the tickets by setting fastest lap on a racing simulator. Well chuffed, last time I attended a GP at Silverstone was 2002!

Can't wait

I don't think you'll get a great view of the race from there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:27 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
GoOnJenson wrote:

Can't wait

I don't think you'll get a great view of the race from there.

:lol:

You're right. I meant Luffield, of course!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:09 pm 

A2jdl wrote:
davethepirate wrote:

that true, that put my Brother off going to Silverstone for life :lol:

WE are going Thursday morning and staying at Woodlands i too cant wait :D

You have no idea!!

First off, paperwork for my travel from Egypt to the UK was delayed by the military. flight was Wednesday 6.am and my country leaving clearance was issued Thursday 6.00 pm.
Traveled Friday afternoon so missed FP1 and 2. reached Daventry (Bed and breakfast booked) by midnight and woke up Saturday 7.00 am to beat traffic, airport personnel were already warning me that the weather and traffic were horrible on Firday.

Oh, did i mention i had only packed summer wear and left all cold weather cloths (including any jacket) on my room's floor due to the rush.

One hell of an experience though, was utterly gutted when Jenson couldn't make Q2. a highlight however was that i was in the exact same place Perez and Di Resta collided and were Grosjean had problems and i think there was a tyre blown right in front of me (general admission). plenty of action in GP2/3 as well. i was in a good spot (IIRC, i wa sat maggotts)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:31 pm 

Just a reminder for those using public transport/taxis, make you sure you get your phone charged and have sufficient credit if you don't want to wind up walking a few miles to find the nearest telephone booth or waiting for a cab like half an hour

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:48 pm 

davethepirate wrote:

As yes 2012 was interesting! I was fortunate that I arrived at the campsite on the Thursday and missed all the traffic. However my most prominent memory of that weekend is sitting cowering under an umbrella during the red flag period in qualifying, feeling utterly miserable. Friday was even worse weather-wise but at least I had access to the covered grandstands that day. I think the only part of that weekend where it didn't rain was during the race itself, it even bucketed it down in the afternoon after it had finished.

Here's hoping for better weather this year. Though given how the weather has been over the past couple of weeks I'm anticipating getting wet at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:15 pm 

well weather forecast looking better according to this http://xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Silverstone
little / no rain all weekend, and warm, hot tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:37 pm 

simonbalaam wrote:
I'm there just for the Sunday sat in the Stowe Grandstand. It will make a change from queueing all night waiting for the sprint at 5am with GA tickets!!

So am I :)

It will be the first time I go to a F1 race :] Coming from France :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:45 am 

Hey guys/girls, my dad was fairly disappointed that he forgot both the Goodwood FoS and British grand prix was on this weekend, so we're thinking of going to the German Grand Prix the following weekend :) I'm just wondering, since I'm English speaking, would it be a bit confusing with the track commentating and other things going on without knowing much German? It would be my first Grand Prix, so, yeah, of course I'm dying to go! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:30 pm 

I was at the British GP and during the race you don't listen to the track comments really, I think the big screens are enough to follow the action.
So make sure you're in front of one of them. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:24 am 

Dark wrote:
I was at the British GP and during the race you don't listen to the track comments really, I think the big screens are enough to follow the action.
So make sure you're in front of one of them. ;)

Thanks for the advice! I was doing some research myself and watched a few videos, the track commentating is a mixture of English and German, and there are big screens nearly everywhere you sit. I've literally just booked my tickets there and have finally decided to get seats quite close to the start and can see the pit exit and exit of T1. Wasn't sure because there is seating that is further away from the start but you can see T2 as well.

I'm just so excited to see the pit stops, the experience of the start, the end where the winner waves and hopefully I get to see him on the podium!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:29 am 

Hello, I'm planning to go and watch Hungaroring this year. If someone has been there I would like to ask some questions:

- Is it possible to get tickets "on place"? Or is it better to buy them before online?
- Is there any good place from general admission to watch the race?
- If not, what stand would you recommend (of course not very pricy)?

I'm planning to go by car, so one last thing is if there's parking in vicinity of track?

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:36 am 

Has anyone stayed at the yellow camp site in Francorchamps?

Is it the one you can see on the right as you're walking down through the village towards La Source entrance?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:42 am 

I have booked to go to Spa for the weekend staying on the 'yellow' campsite with a few friends for a stag do (if you see a guy dressed as a grid girl holding an 'I love max Chilton' banner, that's probably us..)

Quick question, does anyone know if wifi/3G access will be available at the campsite and circuit? I am self employed and really need to keep on top of the emails.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:17 am 

Another Spa question, does anyone know a good place to buy meat if you're camping?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:57 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Another Spa question, does anyone know a good place to buy meat if you're camping?

There must be a Delhaize somewhere (Spa?) Depending on your language skills you could simply ask a local yokel - be careful you don't end up with horse meat (unless you want horse)

Is there a difference between meat when camping and non-camping meat?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:05 pm 

painless wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

There must be a Delhaize somewhere (Spa?) Depending on your language skills you could simply ask a local yokel - be careful you don't end up with horse meat (unless you want horse)

Is there a difference between meat when camping and non-camping meat?

Mainly that we wont have a fridge when camping so will want to be fresh meat every evening to eat immediately. Drove around for over an hour last year, couldn't find a super market which was open weekends in the evening. Eventually ended up eating in some pokey pizzeria in Spa one evening and raiding the burger vans on the streets the other. Not ideal really, I was hoping to have a decent BBQ or 3.

Surely there must be something selling fresh meat on GP weekends, all those campers having a BBQ.