planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 pm 

Hoping for close racing tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:08 pm 

Pole sitter is vulnerable into T2 here, whichever Mercedes leads after that will win.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:34 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Pole sitter is vulnerable into T2 here, whichever Mercedes leads after that will win.

Even though this is a short lap & has a fair bit of straights, wonder how much the cars would struggle to follow each other. If not, 3 DRS zones would keep the overtakes clicking throughout the race. Turn 9 will be an exciting zone due to those kerbs & loss of downforce if following a car close through that car.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:51 pm 

Decent length run up to turn 1 and the Ferrari's start on the US (Merc on SS). I think Vettel will have a chance at gaining a place or two.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:55 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:
Decent length run up to turn 1 and the Ferrari's start on the US (Merc on SS). I think Vettel will have a chance at gaining a place or two.

Who knows!!! Could be a repeat of Paul Ricard.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:05 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:

Who knows!!! Could be a repeat of Paul Ricard.

Won't be because here you can't box in like Paul Ricard as Mercedes will also have a fast starting Raikkonen to think about.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:19 pm 

These kerbs will surely throw a few drivers off guard tomorrow:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:23 pm 

On Friday Hamilton said that people shouldn't blame Vettel for last Sunday's crash at T1 !

I hope he doesn't change his mind tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:57 pm 

I think Hamilton needs to attack Bottas and get the lead here. As much though Bottas has done a solid job here, Hamilton really needs to press his lead in the standings now and the 7 extra points for first will be vital. Obviously the key opportunity will be into the first corner but I think a pass after the stops with the soft tires is also possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:14 pm 

Vettel gets a 3 place grid penalty for impeding Sainz:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/06/30/vettel-given-three-place-grid-penalty-for-impeding-sainz-in-qualifying/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:23 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
I think Hamilton needs to attack Bottas and get the lead here. As much though Bottas has done a solid job here, Hamilton really needs to press his lead in the standings now and the 7 extra points for first will be vital. Obviously the key opportunity will be into the first corner but I think a pass after the stops with the soft tires is also possible.

hamilton wont attack bottas and since vettel has a 3 place grid penalty i see hamilton letting this one go to bottas for baku.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:30 pm 

I doubt the owners are thrilled with the stewards decision, but the team let Seb down and it's a slam dunk penalty. The championship is starting to look a long shot, and with the races generally being very boring viewers will soon start tuning out as Hamilton coasts to another title.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:55 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
I doubt the owners are thrilled with the stewards decision, but the team let Seb down and it's a slam dunk penalty. The championship is starting to look a long shot, and with the races generally being very boring viewers will soon start tuning out as Hamilton coasts to another title.

Wow, what a defeatist attitude. It's a 3-place penalty and a race where perhaps the Mercs are a touch quicker and you want to start handing over the championship?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:03 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Wow, what a defeatist attitude. It's a 3-place penalty and a race where perhaps the Mercs are a touch quicker and you want to start handing over the championship?

Where did I say it was over? I said it is starting to look like a long shot for Seb.

The bookies now have Hamilton rated as a 74% chance to win the championship from here, and if he wins tomorrow they'll probably go beyond 80%. So yes I think it is starting to look like a long shot for Seb.

I'm rarely accused of being defeatist on here. It's usually the opposite.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:39 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Where did I say it was over? I said it is starting to look like a long shot for Seb.

The bookies now have Hamilton rated as a 74% chance to win the championship from here, and if he wins tomorrow they'll probably go beyond 80%. So yes I think it is starting to look like a long shot for Seb.

I'm rarely accused of being defeatist on here. It's usually the opposite.

Even if the silver arrows win tomorrow that is only nine out of twenty one races in the books. Merc may have the momentum now but things can change. Remember the lead that Sebastian and Ferrari had at the summer break last year (Sebastian 202, Lewis 188) and how it turned around for Merc and Hamilton. Everyone was ready to count Hamilton and Mercedes out for the championship.

Lewis has also been known to lose focus for a number or races in a row.

Fourteen points at this point in the season is a decent lead but absolutely not insurmountable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:44 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Fourteen points at this point in the season is a decent lead but absolutely not insurmountable.

:thumbup: There is so much that can happen between now and the end of the season that the current points gap is almost trivial.

Last edited by Lojik on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:45 pm 

Looks like Mercedes have this one wrapped up, but it'll be interesting to see what happens between Hamilton and Bottas. So far I can't recall them ever being in a position where they are competing with each other for the win. Even when they've been together on the grid before, one driver has been faster than the other on race day. There was barely anything between them in qualifying and Hamilton starting behind appears to have had a tenth or so in hand for much of the weekend. Also given Raikkonen's recent record of making positions up at starts I don't see him jumping Hamilton and splitting the Mercs up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:56 pm 

When I re watch the channel 4 coverage, Horner was speaking to Ben Edwards about the overall best lap just before Q3 started. And this was not actually the fastest lap. It was the fastest driver with the best sector times over all the runs in qualifying. And he seemed to think Bottas was looking the strongest just because it happened that he had got the fastest 1st 2nd and 3rd sector. But over different laps. After all, it did seem like him thinking Bottas looked good was right as he did in the end put together the fastest lap.

But I didn't realise the teams sometimes look at the data like this. But I guess it does show that if 1 driver has done the fastest at some point in all 3 that they may be the most likely to put the best one together in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:58 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Max did it twice as well but got away with it.

Could throw up some trouble in the race yeah.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:40 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Max did it twice as well but got away with it.

Could throw up some trouble in the race yeah.

Well its good to see drivers finally having to pay the piper for taking too much kerb.

Wish there was more of it.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:20 am 

The kerb is horrible and Horner said very expensive for teams because many teams have got their car damaged this weekend. I think they should alter it for next year.Mercedes should get 1-2. Kimi needs a good start and performance tomorrow . P3 is a good position to start. Because if Vettel even gets little close to him sadly Ferrari will definitely swap their drivers in pits. Haas deserves to get both cars on points tomorrow. Battle for P10 should be good as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:24 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
The kerb is horrible and Horner said very expensive for teams because many teams have got their car damaged this weekend. I think they should alter it for next year.Mercedes should get 1-2. Kimi needs a good start and performance tomorrow . P3 is a good position to start. Because if Vettel even gets little close to him sadly Ferrari will definitely swap their drivers in pits. Haas deserves to get both cars on points tomorrow. Battle for P10 should be good as well.

The answers simple. Don't go wide enough to hit the section that damages the car.

As Sky said, if it was a fence they all wouldn't be running into it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 am 

Last year's race was a bit of a snore fest from memory so I'm not holding high hopes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:33 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:

Then the teams should be having words with their drivers. If it was a wall they wouldn't all be running into it. The drivers know full well those curbs are there, all they have to do is not drive off the track and the car won't get damaged.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:35 am 

Revised grid:

1 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 1:03.130
2 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 0.019s
3 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 0.53s
4 Max Verstappen Red Bull 0.71s
5 Romain Grosjean Haas 0.762s
6 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 0.334s *
7 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 0.866s
8 Kevin Magnussen Haas 0.921s
9 Carlos Sainz Renault 1.595s
10 Nico Hulkenberg Renault 1.889s
11 Esteban Ocon Force India 1:04.845
12 Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso 1:04.874
13 Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:05.058
14 Lance Stroll Williams 1:05.286
15 Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 1:05.271
16 Sergio Perez Force India 1:05.279
17 Sergey Sirotkin Williams 1:05.322
18 Charles Leclerc Sauber 1:04.979 **
19 Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso 1:05.366
20 Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:05.479

* three-place penalty for impeding
** five-place gearbox change penalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:48 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

The answers simple. Don't go wide enough to hit the section that damages the car.

As Sky said, if it was a fence they all wouldn't be running into it.

I agree, I'd like to see more circuits adopt these. Perhaps the drivers should try respecting the limits of the track.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:32 am 

As Per Pirelli:

THE QUICKEST ONE-STOPPER:
One stint on ultra-soft (8 to 28 laps) + one stint on soft to the flag

ALSO QUICK ONE-STOPPER:
One stint on supersoft (18 to 30 laps) + one stint on soft to the flag

SLIGHTLY SLOWER ONE-STOPPER:
One stint on ultrasoft (8 to 28 laps) + One stint on supersoft to the flag.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:11 am 

Alonso is getting a New MGU-K & a new front wing. Hence, he'll start from the pit lane.
http://www.f1i.com/news/309162-front-wing-mgu-k-changes-spell-pit-lane-start-alonso.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:32 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Everyone is really digging deep for a good season - boring racing - crappy coverage - I just watch recordings and ff to anything
that looks interesting - I watch some tapes I have of 90's stuff and it's a different world.
I went a couple decades with out missing one but these parades with nothing but mid pack and tail end action with maybe
a penalized car coming up till the tires are gone are hard to take.
Open the regs and wallets and let them race or go to a spec series GP2 blows the big show away.
Have fun pretending during the Mercedes Cup.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Alonso is getting a New MGU-K & a new front wing. Hence, he'll start from the pit lane.
http://www.f1i.com/news/309162-front-wing-mgu-k-changes-spell-pit-lane-start-alonso.html

Unlikely to make much difference to his race ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:11 pm 

750k2 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Everyone is really digging deep for a good season - boring racing - crappy coverage - I just watch recordings and ff to anything
that looks interesting - I watch some tapes I have of 90's stuff and it's a different world.
I went a couple decades with out missing one but these parades with nothing but mid pack and tail end action with maybe
Open the regs and wallets and let them race or go to a spec series GP2 blows the big show away.

If that really is your view why do you even bother to watch?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:55 pm 

750k2 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

The 1990s? You mean the part that was the Williams Cup or the part that was the McLaren Cup?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:01 pm 

On a side note, Nat Pinkham's looking particularly lovely today

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:09 pm 

Tyres being used at the start:

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm 

Sauber the only team splitting strategy?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm 

Grosjean has everything to lose or crash. If he can't finish today with good points starting from P5 then don't see Steiner being patient enough with him!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:13 pm 

Nice from Bottas to get back to second.

Last edited by Ocon on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:19 pm 

Nice clean start from Kimi, Lewis and Bottas, that was not easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:20 pm 

Well, the first half a lap was jolly exciting!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:20 pm 

Race over - Gotta go mow the lawn