planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:55 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:11 am 

Manufacturers like Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault build their own engines but have there been instances where you had a manufacturer using a different engine? I know of a few:

There was Italian Clemente Biondetti participating in the Italian GP 1950 with a private owned Ferrari 166S with a Jaguar engine. His engine broke after 18 laps. Below a picture number 22

Source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/362680576219583426/

BRM (British Racing Motors) always used their own engines except for 1 season, 1961. For their BRM P48/57 chassis drivers Graham Hill and Tony Brooks drove Climax engines. Below a picture of the car driven by Graham Hill Dutch GP:

Source: http://imgur.com/pXlrU0x

If anyoen knows of other such instances in F1 or other motorsports I would love to here

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:38 am 

BMW Sauber Ferrari from 2010 (C29), chassis theorically built by BMW+Sauber cooperation and using a Ferrari engine

Source: BMWblog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:59 am 

nixxxon wrote:
BMW Sauber Ferrari from 2010 (C29), chassis theorically built by BMW+Sauber cooperation and using a Ferrari engine

Was it really built by BMW or was it just a case of the team not renaming itself to Sauber until 2011 to avoid extra costs?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:18 am 

Amon wrote:
Was it really built by BMW or was it just a case of the team not renaming itself to Sauber until 2011 to avoid extra costs?

Not sure, but BMW decided to pull out in mid 2009 IIRC, so development of the 2010 car should've begun already, at least thats how top teams used to work

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:20 pm 

That snapshot of Graham Hill racing the BRM is just so freakin' awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:23 pm 

Amon wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

Yes it was almost 100% designed by BMW. However, once Peter bought his old team back from them he convened with his aerodynamicists to gauge where they were falling short the few years before and the suggestion was lack of air under the car. Peter quickly reached out to Ferrari and procured the engine and sought their input but all Ferrari told him was that in all likelihood their car lacked airflow under the chassis just like everyone else. The result was this hideous eye sore of a car which, I discussed with Bob Varsha and after he cued me in on some of these tidbits I told him I didn't think they had a shot with that thing because it looks all sorts of wrong to me. And while he didn't outright confirm my suspicions, he hinted that according to some investigative reporting by his compatriots at Speed Channel, I was definitely on the right track, but that the most important thing was that the team was safely grounded financially for at least 2 further seasons. Anything beyond that would come down to their performance over those 3 seasons. Boy was he ever right.

Caterham used Renault engines in their short time and their road car division (likely the worst and ugliest "exotic" cars ever peddled) are generally powered by Ford.

Though the manufacturer branding/badging was removed, the 2009 WCC winning car was for all intents and purposes 100% Honda dawning Mercedes power.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:03 pm 

Cooper Maserati.

Always Cooper Maserati.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:29 am 

2016 Renault? Chassis development probably would've begun at least halfway through this year and that would've been for a Mercedes engine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:56 am 

The matra's run by Tyrell for JYS had Ford engines in them.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 1969_3.jpg

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:21 pm 

jasonthebadger wrote:
2016 Renault? Chassis development probably would've begun at least halfway through this year and that would've been for a Mercedes engine.

On the same basis, the Brawn 'Honda' Mercedes must be worth a mention too.