planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Which driver won each intra-team battle in Belgium?
Poll ended at Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 am
Hamilton 9%  9%  [ 20 ]
Bottas 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Vettel 9%  9%  [ 20 ]
Raikkonen 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Ricciardo 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Verstappen 10%  10%  [ 22 ]
Perez 9%  9%  [ 19 ]
Ocon 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Stroll 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Sirotkin 8%  8%  [ 18 ]
Sainz 8%  8%  [ 18 ]
Hulkenberg 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Gasly 9%  9%  [ 20 ]
Hartley 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Grosjean 8%  8%  [ 17 ]
Magnussen 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Alonso 6%  6%  [ 13 ]
Vandoorne 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Ericsson 6%  6%  [ 13 ]
Leclerc 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 212
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:10 am 

Hamilton 9-3 Bottas (63/37)
Vettel 8-4 Raikkonen (59/41)
Ricciardo 6-6 Verstappen (53/47)
Perez 4-7 Ocon (48/52)
Stroll 8-4 Sirotkin (65/35)
Hulkenberg 7-5 Sainz (60/40)
Gasly 8-4 Hartley (68/32)
Magnussen 9-3 Grosjean (76/24)
Alonso 11-1 Vandoorne (92/8)
Ericsson 5-7 Leclerc (35/65)

With nine races still to go in the season, the result from Hungary has quite remarkably given us our first TMW victor for the whole season. Fernando Alonso now has an unassailable 11-1 lead and at this point, all that Vandoorne could do is try and make it look even vaguely respectable. Hamilton and Magnussen also have strong advantages, leading their teammates by a score of 9-3, while at the other end of the scale it's the Ricciardo/Verstappen pairing which is considered to have been the most closely matched prior to the summer break, sharing six TMW race wins each and almost a 50/50 split of the vote itself. Ricciardo's defeat of Verstappen in Hungary also halts Max's winning run at five races, leaving Lewis Hamilton as the driver on the current longest run (also five).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:43 am 

5 DNFs - all from different teams make this one very difficult to judge!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 am 

With 5 different contructors being involved in turn 1, and Bottas starting at back, its a hard 1 to judge. Even qualifying is hard to judge with the weather making it a bit of a lottery.

Nobody really did anything particularly special in this race. Expected performances mostly.

Last edited by Badgeronimous on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 am 

This has got to be one of the hardest to call in a while...

We've got Ferrari, where Raikkonen looked quicker in qualifying up until the team forgot to put fuel in his car. Then he was wrecked on lap one and never got a chance to show any race pace. Then there's Red Bull, McLaren and Sauber, none of which produced a comparative result in the race. Renault is a tough call only because Sainz was so terrible that I don't want to vote for him, although I'm sure I will since Hulkenberg was doing his best Maldonado impression...

Really, the only ones that are clear calls are Mercedes (Hamilton), Toro Rosso (Gasly, although by less of a margin than sometimes), Force India (Perez looked better all weekend except for in Q3, where he was very close), Haas (Grosjean all the way), and Williams (Sirotkin).

In the end, for the ones I classified as difficult I've gone with Vettel at Ferrari (he was good enough in the race that he's earned my vote) and the quali winner for all the rest except for Renault, where I voted for Sainz mostly just to protest Hulk.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:42 am 

Exediron wrote:
This has got to be one of the hardest to call in a while...

We've got Ferrari, where Raikkonen looked quicker in qualifying up until the team forgot to put fuel in his car. Then he was wrecked on lap one and never got a chance to show any race pace. Then there's Red Bull, McLaren and Sauber, none of which produced a comparative result in the race. Renault is a tough call only because Sainz was so terrible that I don't want to vote for him, although I'm sure I will since Hulkenberg was doing his best Maldonado impression...

Really, the only ones that are clear calls are Mercedes (Hamilton), Toro Rosso (Gasly, although by less of a margin than sometimes), Force India (Perez looked better all weekend except for in Q3, where he was very close), Haas (Grosjean all the way), and Williams (Sirotkin).

In the end, for the ones I classified as difficult I've gone with Vettel at Ferrari (he was good enough in the race that he's earned my vote) and the quali winner for all the rest except for Renault, where I voted for Sainz mostly just to protest Hulk.

Even Hamilton, provided he drove a trouble free race, he couldn't not finish 2nd. Bottas finished 4th, which is what was predicted as the best result possible - but had 2x top runners dropping out to aid that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:17 am 

Herb wrote:
5 DNFs - all from different teams make this one very difficult to judge!

Yup.... almost half the teammate wars never happened. Maybe there should be a way of voting that a particular contest was a non-event.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:30 pm 

Max has well and truly taken over the matchup between himself and Daniel. He's pretty much always quicker in qualifying and now that he isn't making silly mistakes, he beats Daniel in the races most of the time too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:11 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Max has well and truly taken over the matchup between himself and Daniel. He's pretty much always quicker in qualifying and now that he isn't making silly mistakes, he beats Daniel in the races most of the time too.

Anyone would have beaten Daniel after a flying McLaren smashed his rear wing into confetti. I take your point on qualifying, but Max 'beating' Ricciardo last Sunday is meaningless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:39 am 

Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Anyone would have beaten Daniel after a flying McLaren smashed his rear wing into confetti. I take your point on qualifying, but Max 'beating' Ricciardo last Sunday is meaningless.

True, and that wasn't the only meaningless results. I mean Hamilton vs Bottas, Vettel vs Raikkonen .... the results were some use for 'team mate qualifying wars', but that is all ... and even qualifying gets distorted by how has grid penalties, sits out practice etc. These head to heads get so distorted by awarding a winner even when only one teammate gets to race.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 am 

iano wrote:
Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

True, and that wasn't the only meaningless results. I mean Hamilton vs Bottas, Vettel vs Raikkonen .... the results were some use for 'team mate qualifying wars', but that is all ... and even qualifying gets distorted by how has grid penalties, sits out practice etc. These head to heads get so distorted by awarding a winner even when only one teammate gets to race.

Fully agree. But since people will vote anyway, I make an effort to vote for whoever I thought did a better job given the available information.