planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:01 am 

So I'm thinking they deserve an official thread after this opening. Before their first race they seemed to have done a good job preparing but I for one could never see them doing this good straight away. Sad to see Gutiérrez so unlucky in the first two races but at least he knows he has a good car.
As for RoGro I know he is regarded pretty good in the sport but he has really shown that he is a great driver when handed the right material. I hope and think that a podium will come this year.
I also hope that this new team will stay and keep progressing for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:12 am 

Yes, great start to their debut season. Now to get both cars to the finish, hopefully both in the points.

Seeing as how RoGro managed to get on the podium with last years woeful Renault it'll only take one mixed up or high attrition race for them to pull off one themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:15 am 

I'm impressed by Haas. Getting decent points in your first two races is pretty good going. The mentality of the team seems to be sensible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:13 am 

I'm also impressed by Haas; before the season started I was one of those insisting they wouldn't be backmarkers and wouldn't have to worry about Manor, but I never expected anything like this. Their car genuinely seems to be on a similar or better pace level than Force India and Williams, both teams with a similar budget, more time in the sport and Mercedes engines.

Perhaps most importantly, everyone is talking about Haas - including here in America. Their participation seems to have raised awareness of F1 massively among the fanbases of homegrown racing series like NASCAR, and the fact that they're doing well makes people far more likely to take notice and care than if they weren't. I'm hoping to see the positive effect of that increased awareness in maybe networks actually giving F1 some respect instead of preempting it for football and rarely showing any F1-relates specials. :-P

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:34 am 

I'm officially awarding Haas "my second favorite team in F1" status.

Awesome start by the team :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:41 am 

Their strategist already needs a raise. Called the mediums right in Australia. And they successfully avoided the mediums yesterday

2 great strategy calls in 2 races

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:48 am 

mcdo wrote:
Their strategist already needs a raise. Called the mediums right in Australia. And they successfully avoided the mediums yesterday

Is that not Ruth Buscombe, who used to work for Ferrari?

She was hounded a bit by Ted Kravitz after Oz - was all a bit awkward.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:51 am 

Herb wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Yesterday someone commented on the race story on James Allens site that Ferrari should get RoGro and his strategist for next. James replied that she had left Ferrari because she was having trouble advancing there (or words to that effect)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:38 am 

Herb wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Is it? I've no idea. Fair play to her, Ferrari could have done with her input in Oz!

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:57 am 

It's so refreshing to see a new team coming in and doing well from the word go.

Much respect for how Haas have handled this. I must say, the signs were good during all of last year. Level-headed approach, good choices, good drivers (at least the lead driver, but Gutierrez is probably better than most give him credit for).

Props to Dallara as well.

Last edited by mds on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:50 am 

The car looked really well balanced - I'd like to see them get a podium this year - Texas would be a good place to do it !

Definitely my 2nd favourite team this year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:08 pm 

Exediron wrote:

Perhaps most importantly, everyone is talking about Haas - including here in America. Their participation seems to have raised awareness of F1 massively among the fanbases of homegrown racing series like NASCAR, and the fact that they're doing well makes people far more likely to take notice and care than if they weren't. I'm hoping to see the positive effect of that increased awareness in maybe networks actually giving F1 some respect instead of preempting it for football and rarely showing any F1-relates specials. :-P

Yeah I was thinking that. Watched the Nascar race and they talked about the fantastic start they have had. I think Haas will do a better job making the sport grow in the US than any US gp will...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:18 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Yeah I was thinking that. Watched the Nascar race and they talked about the fantastic start they have had. I think Haas will do a better job making the sport grow in the US than any US gp will...

It's hard to say but I think that Gene's connection to NASCAR is what will bring more notice than anything else.

The fact that the Stewart-Haas NASCAR drivers are sending out tweets to Haas F1 congratulation them on their success is certainly raising awareness.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:19 pm 

congrats to guenther steiner especially and then to haas and all the employees. steiner is the one who talked haas into doing this by showing him how he could do a "start up" f1 team much differently than in years past.

some people don't like it, for me if it means there are new players in f1 who can start up, show up, and actually make the racing more interesting, i am all for it.

i read where many people say they need a sponsor. haas (haas automation) is on the side of the car because it is his business, not because they have no sponsor. he has said from day one he will use f1 to grow haas automation internationally.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:03 pm 

Gene and Gunther did their homework on tire-preservation. And all teams are now keeping an eye on their strategy. and Gunther was the best acquisition that Gene signed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:14 pm 

Placid wrote:
Gene and Gunther did their homework on tire-preservation. And all teams are now keeping an eye on their strategy. and Gunther was the best acquisition that Gene signed.

It's fun watching him in interviews trying to keep expectations in check while smiling like the bird who ate the canary. :)

I'm sure there will be tougher races ahead, but it's fun to enjoy this sort of achievement straight out of the box.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:21 pm 

I love to see this! Beating many established teams and doing so within the rules designed to help the exact teams that are complaining about Haas. Williams has much to answer for, they wanted these rules and now they complain. Rules are rules and the team that exploits them is better.

I would wonder if Williams would be complaining if they exploited a rule around AERO and started winning GP's...you think they would complain that they are not doing the F1 community right be exploiting the rules?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:30 pm 

Incredible story so far! Go Haas!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:13 am 

Seeds of backlash are being sewn.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/haas-f1s-immediate-success-not-being-embraced-all-formula-one

Apparently, people are mad that Haas runs with Ferrari's DNA. A number of people think it's bad for F1.

I'll be honest, I respect others' opinions, but F1 needs something and this feels like it could be part of it. F1 as it was is falling apart and any competition from a customer team is good for the sport. As long as Haas isn't breaking any rules, I say good for them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:21 am 

ah, so Williams, who buys parts themselves, ie powerplant is unhappy because Haas uses a batch of Ferrari components (legally) and has his chassis designed and built by Dallara.. for now. Symonds... Williams deserves better than your whinging.

More power to Haas.... I hope that they continue to have success and continue to be a significant player at least in the mid-field.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:40 am 

Maybe he should cry about Toro Rosso being Red Bull B... Merc probably has some ideas left from Brawn he should look into. Jealousy much? I like Williams, always have but come on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:47 am 

"The status of being a constructor has been gradually eroded,": symonds

the status of being your own chassis builder has not been eroded. the rules for entering f1 have changed, a good thing in my opinion. especially with so many teams nearing financial ruin and being on edge of dropping out all together. good for haas and steiner for taking on the challenge of doing it the new way in f1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:03 am 

Maranello1 wrote:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/haas-f1s-immediate-success-not-being-embraced-all-formula-one

Apparently, people are mad that Haas runs with Ferrari's DNA. A number of people think it's bad for F1.

I'll be honest, I respect others' opinions, but F1 needs something and this feels like it could be part of it. F1 as it was is falling apart and any competition from a customer team is good for the sport. As long as Haas isn't breaking any rules, I say good for them.

Totally agree.

Further, if Ferrari offer legal parts for sale, why would Haas want to spend more than that making their own? Especially when new to F1 and Ferrari have some of the most experienced and competent engineers working on their bits. Don't get me wrong, I think if I wanted to beat Ferrari I'd need to develop my own, but for the first few years while I build up my brand and build up how much money I bring in through F1, build up experience, bring people in etc buying parts from a team like Ferrari makes good sense.

I respect Williams mentality too, but the Haas approach to me is very sensible. Learn to walk, then they can review and see if they want to run.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:34 am 

Apparently Gian Carlo Minardi has also written in his blog (I don't read Italian...) that Haas has taken a dangerous road basically only assembling their cars and that what they have is a Ferrari clone.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:53 am 

Covalent wrote:
Apparently Gian Carlo Minardi has also written in his blog (I don't read Italian...) that Haas has taken a dangerous road basically only assembling their cars and that what they have is a Ferrari clone.

Well, all respect to Minardi, but this is nonsense. There would be a truth to it if the chassis was bought from Ferrari, but as it stands: nope. Big fail on Minardi's behalf.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:58 am 

Mr-E wrote:
Maybe he should cry about Toro Rosso being Red Bull B...

Playing Devil's advocate: the STR11 and RB12 have less in common than the VF-16 and SF16-H :)

But fully agree, Haas have done this the right way. They've made sure they would have a decent opening season (that looks to actually become a great opening season!), which will give them some good funding for next year. And they've stayed fully within the rules.

Maybe eventually they could move away from Dallara and get to it themselves but in the meantime this is a well thought-out entry into F1. Rather this than seeing another HRT.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:23 am 

mds wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Well, all respect to Minardi, but this is nonsense. There would be a truth to it if the chassis was bought from Ferrari, but as it stands: nope. Big fail on Minardi's behalf.

Indeed. If it's basically a Ferrari kit car, why is it over a second slower than the actual Ferrari with the same engine? And it's faster than an SF15-T, so it isn't one of those either.

I wonder what Minardi's opinion would be on the fact that for much of the history of F1 it was perfectly legal to buy another team's car outright and run it?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:59 am 

Maranello1 wrote:

This was inevitable

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:51 am 

The fact that it's Williams who's being the most vocal is amusing seeing as how they were using a March chassis in their first year. Not a design of their own that March built for them, but an actual March chassis.

It seems to me that all of the smaller teams have some sort of technical partnership with another team whereby they get gearboxes and suspension parts from someone like Williams or McLaren, for the rear, at least since most designs now have the rear suspension mounting to the gearbox.

Haas didn't buy an off the shelf chassis and wings from Dallara. They worked together to design and test a bespoke chassis and aero work that is unique to the Haas car with an eye to eventually do it all in house.

That leaves the wind tunnel testing to complain about which is the crux of the complaint I think. But the fact is that if you're not competing in a championship then you're not bound by its rules and can test at will.

So it's really about how they worked with Ferrari in the wind tunnel, and the transfer of staff, which was legal at the time (although clarified since)

Edited to put in missing words so the whole thing didn't sound like it was written by someone who hasn't gotten out of bed and had his coffee yet. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:27 pm 

The last time Formula One allowed three teams into the sport, two crashed and burned, and the last one is still languishing at the back. So this time, Hass took advantage of "loopholes" and used a lot of parts and expertise supplied by Ferrari. And they have been off to a better start and better results that the previous three new teams. Combined.

Additionally, Haas snapped up the Marussia factory when that team went out of business. So Haas has been making very good long-term decisions, and this has resulted in them doing very well for a brand new team. And in a few years once the team has accumulated experience, they will begin to design and construct more components internally, wean themselves off Ferrari.

IMO the big buck sponsors have held back to see how this turns out. But with such spectacular results, I would not be surprised to see a lot more sponsors get on board with Haas. Do not forget that Haas Formula One and Haas NASCAR are joined at the hip, and they know all about the sponsor game. Those cars have now become a viable platform for a US based company to pull the trigger and increase their global exposure.

Budweiser? Mobil 1?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:42 pm 

The one thing that F1 did not need presently was another new team trundling around at the back and running out of finances.
When you annoy a few around the paddock it is a sure sign you are doing something right.
Well done to Haas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:23 pm 

Looks the way to go. Could transform F1 if a couple more entrants take the same rout.
Regs would then have to be loosened (or tightened) to keep current teams compeditive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:13 pm 

So China being pretty tough on tyres seems it could benefit Haas as the car seems pretty good when it comes to that. Another top 6? And hopefully both cars the entire race.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:16 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
So China being pretty tough on tyres seems it could benefit Haas as the car seems pretty good when it comes to that. Another top 6? And hopefully both cars the entire race.

I think they'd be thrilled finishing nose to tail in 9th & 10th, but hoping for one them at least 7th. We'll have to see how badly Williams balls things up.