planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:16 pm 

So, along with silly qualifying and more tyre compounds being available, I notice Lewis Hamilton's Gandhi glasses are another potentially controversial addition to F1 in 2016.

Are they just for short distances? Are they clear glass? I remember Sébastien Bourdais having glasses. Does anyone know of any other F1 or even other series' drivers who wear glasses? Are there some who only ever wear contact lenses? And most importantly, have any drivers who do wear glasses talked about it being a disadvantage? I know I could probably google some of this, but I thought it might be interesting to discuss it a bit, and also see if anyone has strong feelings about Hamilton's new style too.

Personally, I feel that for Hamilton it may be a case of appearing a bit more academic in order to take on more of an ambassador role in F1, something that I think he and his management are trying to work on this year especially. But that's just conjecture. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:25 pm 

Strange that immediately before this I was reading an article on using 'glasses' to project information in the eyeline :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:26 pm 

red_baron wrote:
So, along with silly qualifying and more tyre compounds being available, I notice Lewis Hamilton's Gandhi glasses are another potentially controversial addition to F1 in 2016.

Are they just for short distances? Are they clear glass? I remember Sébastien Bourdais having glasses. Does anyone know of any other F1 or even other series' drivers who wear glasses? Are there some who only ever wear contact lenses? And most importantly, have any drivers who do wear glasses talked about it being a disadvantage? I know I could probably google some of this, but I thought it might be interesting to discuss it a bit, and also see if anyone has strong feelings about Hamilton's new style too.

Personally, I feel that for Hamilton it may be a case of appearing a bit more academic in order to take on more of an ambassador role in F1, something that I think he and his management are trying to work on this year especially. But that's just conjecture. :thumbup:

The Telegraph certainly aren't impressed by his outfits
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/style/le ... evolution/

Jacques Villeneuve wore glasses and I'm sure contacts when in the car

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:27 pm 

The law of averages means there must be a number of F1 drivers who have sight problems. Thing is, contact lenses are very good these days and I guess they can all afford the best laser treatment in the world should they choose to go down that route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:31 pm 

Barrichello and Ralf Schumacher definitely wore contacts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:34 pm 

Sky did say Hamilton was only wearing them for fashion purposes, so at least that part of the debate is academic in F1 as far as I'm aware.

As for fashion... Well, that's not my speciality. But then, I've never worn anything like any of those later photos in the Telegraph article.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:53 pm 

Masten Gregory is the first one I remember wearing glasses when racing.

Jacques Villeneuve definitely wore glasses driving Indy Car & F1.

http://f1-history.deviantart.com/art/Ma ... -329793346

http://www.forum-auto.com/sport-auto/hi ... 9-5145.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/topic/gilles ... d-of-light

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

Last edited by ob1kenobi.23 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:48 am 

Just another dumb thing that Hamilton wears to portray his image as anything but a Formula 1 driver.

I really can't imagine he has many fans outside Britain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:32 am 

oz_karter wrote:
Just another dumb thing that Hamilton wears to portray his image as anything but a Formula 1 driver.

What should an F1 driver wear when not in the car?

His fashion choose has nothing at all to do with us, he can wear whatever he likes.

I suspect you are very wrong about fans too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:48 am 

Good for him if it makes him happy, but I wish I could unsee what I saw in the telegraph article...

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:52 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
I noticed (and then someone else pointed out on Sky at the weekend) that he tends to put them on as he approaches a screen or is handed a printout, which is just what you'd do if you were long sighted. I'm suspicious they're actually prescription but he doesn't want to admit he needs glasses. I hope that's the case because, my god, what sort of self conscious egotistical wannabe wears pretend glasses? Should we expect a new line of trendsetting diamond studded hearing aids from Kanye West?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:02 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Oh yeah, the question.

Hulk and Gutierrez both need glasses but generally wear contacts:

pics from tumblr

Erik Comas used to wear sunglasses instead of using a tinted visor:

pic from... well, guess

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:35 am 

Glasses must be extremely uncomfortable to wear during a race, with the helmets on.
I need glasses but I mostly use soft contact lenses and its like day and night. Contact lenses are 10000 times better and more comfortable, for everything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:50 am 

Wearing glasses can be a disadvantage, unless they are secured in place on bumpy tracks they can create problems. Once you get a good swet going they can start moving up and down or vibrating, this motion of the glasses will move your field view with it, and in a game of inches where your are hunting for the apex this is no good.

I race karts and use glasses, and I found out the hard way how bad it is to drive once your glasses start moving, it got so bad that racing without them was faster and safer (My Rx is not that high) I later solve that issue with contacts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 am 

I would imagine top end racing drivers wear helmets designed to work with their glasses. For that matter, I imagine the glasses are not simply off the shelf frames.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:28 pm 

Riccardo Paletti. :(

I also remember seeing pictures of Oscar Pedersoli, Italian F3 driver with glasses, but whatever pictures I found at random search were without glasses. Baffled.

Than there was that American stock car driver, Wily T. Ribbs, with glasses, but now looking back, I can not determine were they just sunglasses or for visual correction.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:02 pm 

Herb wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

His fashion choose has nothing at all to do with us, he can wear whatever he likes.

One minute he's trying to be 50 cent, the next he wants to look sophisticated or even a bit feminine (see his taste in suits and haircuts).

It's fake, in-genuine and the inconsistency reeks of someone trying to emulate the identities of pop/hip-hop/r'n'b stars rather than just being who he is (whoever that is).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:27 am 

oz_karter wrote:
Herb wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

One minute he's trying to be 50 cent, the next he wants to look sophisticated or even a bit feminine (see his taste in suits and haircuts).

It's fake, in-genuine and the inconsistency reeks of someone trying to emulate the identities of pop/hip-hop/r'n'b stars rather than just being who he is (whoever that is).

How can you call him a fake when you don't know him personally? That is literally the basic requirement for knowing when someone is or isn't being themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:30 am 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
oz_karter wrote:
Herb wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

How can you call him a fake when you don't know him personally? That is literally the basic requirement for knowing when someone is or isn't being themselves.

Exactly, and it also has to be remembered that Lewis is young - so its understandable that he is interested in fashion and uses it to create his own version of looking 'good'. The vast majority of us were the same when we were young and unless he's clubbing seals (or something else objectionable), the way he dresses is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:45 am 

oz_karter wrote:
Herb wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

Is it possible that he is just a young man interested in fashion and enjoys various different styles?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:06 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
oz_karter wrote:
Herb wrote:
oz_karter wrote:

Is it possible that he is just a young man interested in fashion and enjoys various different styles?

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:51 am 

I've always wondered why Rosberg always has a bloodshot eye - putting his contacts in with dirty hands, perhaps?

As for Lewis, I say leave him be. He's clearly experimenting with fashion and I see no problem with it. He's looking after himself and gives the impression he doesn't care what others think. And why should he? This 'he's from Stevenage' rubbish screams of jealousy and envy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:39 am 

Prescription visors maybe?? :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:49 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Glasses must be extremely uncomfortable to wear during a race, with the helmets on.
I need glasses but I mostly use soft contact lenses and its like day and night. Contact lenses are 10000 times better and more comfortable, for everything.

Even when dirt goes in the eyes?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:29 pm 

nixxxon wrote:

I wear glasses on a bike and karting. As long as they fit in the helmet well and the arms are held in place without being squeezed too tight it's no different to wearing glasses at any other time, i.e. If you are used to them you basically don't notice them even if things get bumpy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:02 pm 

wolfticket wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

I wear glasses on a bike and karting. As long as they fit in the helmet well and the arms are held in place without being squeezed too tight it's no different to wearing glasses at any other time, i.e. If you are used to them you basically don't notice them even if things get bumpy.
I can wear glasses in a kart, but not on the bike. I have to sit too upright on the bike in order not to look over the glasses instead of through them. So it's contact lenses on the bike, which make it difficult to read the speedometer, as these aren't bifocal. For some reason, I can't seem to get bifocal lenses that keep themselves under the correct angle.

Hamilton was discussing peripheral vision during a recent interview with Johnny Herbert, and he didn't even mention glasses or contacts. I can't help wondering whether he needs them.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:28 pm 

http://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/1970s-John-Lennon%E2%80%99s-Glasses-2.jpg

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/promo_650/public/stylus/1128699-cmt-zac-brown-band-617-409.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/15/63/98/1563988be830ed4599c1c3930feb47c7.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/23/article-0-1A44170F00000578-304_634x478.jpg

Fashion statement.

Last edited by Blinky McSquinty on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:08 pm 

Bobby Rahal wore them for years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:07 am 

Can we please remember to cite sources for all images?

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:18 am 

B. Bira, Bob Gerard and Luigi Villoresi all wore glasses. Bira, interestingly, wore goggles with prescription lenses when in the car.