planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Endurance F1
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:43 pm 

It is getting to be a joke is not F1 about Racing? So why look after the tyres why not have tyres like before so they can Race, fuel limits so again they cannot race gearbox and engine penalties it goes on and on.

I've watched F1 all my life it's like a drug to me I don't want to watch it but I have a quick glimpse to see what's happened.

I'm sick of when someone overtakes it gets replayed from every angle possible and then scrutinised like some sort of God has come down and parted the race tack.
Any other racing and you get so many overtakes there wouldn't be time to look at every angle.

It is a joke and Bernie is right he wouldn't take his family to watch it, I can't be bothered to watch a race on the TV any more.

Post subject: Re: Endurance F1
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:53 pm 

sigh.... people have been saying it for years... there has always been an element of saving of some kind in F1. furthermore, F1 isnt the only series that has saving, Indy Car does it, NASCAR does it, WEC does it.

As for the overtaking, it's always been like that too. you could make this thread 11 years ago in 2005 and it would have just as much relevance as it does today.

so yeah... dont watch F1. but cmon, does every fan who claims that theyre stopping need to make a thread about why theyre stopping?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:08 pm 

Colo134 wrote:
sigh.... people have been saying it for years... there has always been an element of saving of some kind in F1. furthermore, F1 isnt the only series that has saving, Indy Car does it, NASCAR does it, WEC does it.

As for the overtaking, it's always been like that too. you could make this thread 11 years ago in 2005 and it would have just as much relevance as it does today.

so yeah... dont watch F1. but cmon, does every fan who claims that theyre stopping need to make a thread about why theyre stopping?

It's not at all relevant today anyway. There is shed loads of overtaking in modern F1. Probably more than ever. I'm shocked that anyone could claim there is to little overtaking F1 after the last Grand Prix.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:22 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Colo134 wrote:

It's not at all relevant today anyway. There is shed loads of overtaking in modern F1. Probably more than ever. I'm shocked that anyone could claim there is to little overtaking F1 after the last Grand Prix.

yes indeed, that is very true

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:50 pm 

I just knew this is what would happen, not been on here for more than a year so I didn't know about other people airing their views.

I suppose if you like it enjoy that's what life's about having fun. I'm glad you people enjoy it seriously I am but for me saving fuel penalties for drivers when the car breaks down and tyres that if you race don't last 10 laps I don't call that racing.
Time again races are ruined because an engine blew in quali or a gearbox, why not take constructor points it's their fault the engines and gearbox's pack in not the drivers.

And as for 10 years ago it being the same have a look back at some video's, I've been to the races and it is most definitely not the same, 10 years ago to the year I was at Silverstone and the people in the stands were going nuts air horns going you name it last year I heard many people moaning now that is sad I can tell you, I was in front of a group who did nothing but moan thanks God when the procession opp's I mean race came round I couldn't hear them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:55 pm 

kimandsally wrote:
I just knew this is what would happen, not been on here for more than a year so I didn't know about other people airing their views.

I suppose if you like it enjoy that's what life's about having fun. I'm glad you people enjoy it seriously I am but for me saving fuel penalties for drivers when the car breaks down and tyres that if you race don't last 10 laps I don't call that racing.
Time again races are ruined because an engine blew in quali or a gearbox, why not take constructor points it's their fault the engines and gearbox's pack in not the drivers.

And as for 10 years ago it being the same have a look back at some video's, I've been to the races and it is most definitely not the same, 10 years ago to the year I was at Silverstone and the people in the stands were going nuts air horns going you name it last year I heard many people moaning now that is sad I can tell you, I was in front of a group who did nothing but moan thanks God when the procession opp's I mean race came round I couldn't hear them.

Erm - the 2006 British grand prix was one of the dullest races of all time and probably had less overtakes in the whole race than we got in a lap in China.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:15 pm 

kimandsally wrote:

Ive been going to the Canadian GP since 2004, nothing has changed. Only story i have about moaners is in Canada 2014 where a group of older fellows behind me were moaning about the engines, but in front of me a group of younger chaps were going bonkers about how cool F1 is.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:23 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
kimandsally wrote:

Erm - the 2006 British grand prix was one of the dullest races of all time and probably had less overtakes in the whole race than we got in a lap in China.

It did have the three undisputed best drivers in the world at that time fighting for the top three positions in three different cars, all qualifying within half a second of eachother - when was the last time we've seen anything like that? Sure the overtaking that occurred between them on that day occurred via the pitstops, but it was still real and meaningful driver skill pushing on in and out laps that made that happen - and when those guys put the hammer down in those cars it was really something to behold. I'd take it over 100 easy overtakes for 10th place by Toro Rossos on fresh tyres over Force Indias on worn tyres etc, which apparently is what makes the racing great today. I really hate the simplistic idea that more overtakes = better racing. By that logic, if everyone likes when they score goals in football, why don't they just make the goals the entire width of the pitch? Or instead of watching a possible 0-0 draw between Barcelona and Real Madrid, why not go and watch a bunch of preschoolers playing instead, where the score will probably be something like 15-13?

As for the endurance aspect, it's simply undeniable that this has gotten worse and worse over the last 10 years. The idea of turning down the engine because you're using it again in the next race would have been unimaginable a few years ago. And while fuel saving and tyre saving have always been a part of F1 to varying degrees, I have never in my 30 years of following the sport seen such a strong emphasis on saving components, fuel and tyres as there has been recently. And there's a big difference between Prost using his wits to nurse his car and prepare for an attack later in the race, and the two Merc drivers being told to press buttons on the steering wheel to engage slower engine modes and being told to lift and coast etc etc as they cruise to the finish - disallowing some of the radio communications was a good step here, but they just make up for it by briefing the drivers on every situation ahead of time, and having all the data they need pop up on the steering wheel display.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:57 pm 

kimandsally wrote:

You can't really compare attending a race with watching television, though. Also, when people look back at videos, they should watch the entire race rather than a highlights reel.

steoc4 wrote:
The idea of turning down the engine because you're using it again in the next race would have been unimaginable a few years ago.

The whole approach to costs in F1 - of which limiting the engines per season is part of the "solution" - is weak.