planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:38 am 

What if the tyres used in Q3 are counted to the compounds needed to be used for the race? You still start on the Q2 tyres but based on your choice of tyres for Q3 you have these additional options for the race (2-stop example, ignored the third allowed compound for simplicity):

Code:
Q2      Q3      1st stint      2nd stint      3nd stint
Soft   Hard      Soft         Soft            Soft
Hard   Soft      Hard         Hard            Hard

Means you can run the entire race on your preferred compount but you may have to sacrifice a little grid position or risk missing out of Q3 altogether. Might mix the grid like Bernie wants?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:55 am 

Do we have a "What would improve the show?" thread?

I was watching some 1980s videos of Grands Prix yesterday and I was reminded of the old "Sticker" tyres that they used to take out of the rack with the labels still on. Seeing the speed of rotation of the tyres made it a little more interesting than just seeing four black cylinder shapes at each corner, with no sensation of rotation being clearly visible.

I think about how NASA made the Apollo launches and the rockets/spacecraft look more visually appealing for film and TV. I think this is what F1 really needs to do to "...improve the show."

I'll quite happily watch older F1 cars (1980s) running around on their own - I'll even watch aeroplanes in level flight if they look interesting enough from the outside - but I'm really not interested in how these modern cars look.

Nothing moves on these new cars except for DRS. There's so little difference between watching cars that are racing and watching a still photograph of a car or pair of cars. There has to be something for the eye to follow that the brain can be interested in watching.

Even the lack of suspension movement removes a lot of interest that older cars had. Take a look at something like the 1980 German Grand Prix or the Watkins Glen race from the same year. The cars bounce up and down along the track on their suspensions. The drivers' heads and arms are visible and the old gear-sticks mean their hands are doing something much more dynamic than anything we see these days.

Movement, colour, contrast and change are the keys to making F1 cars more rewarding to watch.