planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Renault Coming Together
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:18 pm 

Seeing as I pointed out that is a lower order team had a coming together no one would be talking about it.... Well, guess what hapened on the last lap.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... clash.html

Now, I must have missed this, or it wasn't picked up on by the cameras. Any thoughts on this, guys?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:57 pm 

I had absolutely no idea this even happened. :lol:

Would be interesting to see what went on here.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:01 pm 

So if the Merc pair collided on the final lap how many pages would the thread be?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:33 pm 

Just checked the youtube and it's curiously empty of any visitors video from beside track, if ever the official cameras missed it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:58 pm 

Here is the video:-)

https://youtu.be/F6rmEEJ3QGE

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:07 pm 

Go here: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... elona.html

NH#1: Quick Nick Heidfeld
NH#2: HULK SMASH

PF1 Pick 10 Podiums: 6 (2nd IND '11; 1st JPN '12; 1st MCO '13; 3rd DEU '16; 3rd USA '16, 3rd MEX '16)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:22 pm 

Never mind the coming together, I genuinely forget Renault were racing. I was sitting an hour or so after the race and suddenly thought - did Renault forget to show up? Were they skipping this race?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:31 pm 

theferret wrote:

Thanks for that

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:47 pm 

K-mag took one for the team, Palmer should have been penalised. His final lap was 1.8-2.0 seconds faster than his previous laps due to cutting the final chicane. I'm guessing the FIA wanted to hand him a penalty for that, but that penalty would then put him behind K-mag who was the one who made him jump the chicane in the first place...

So, somebody had to take a penalty and K-mag took it. But Palmer should have been penalised, if you cut a chicane you can't make up a few seconds in doing so, last lap or not. He also made no attempt to even make the second half of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:54 pm 

lamo wrote:
K-mag took one for the team, Palmer should have been penalised. His final lap was 1.8-2.0 seconds faster than his previous laps due to cutting the final chicane. I'm guessing the FIA wanted to hand him a penalty for that, but that penalty would then put him behind K-mag who was the one who made him jump the chicane in the first place...

So, somebody had to take a penalty and K-mag took it. But Palmer should have been penalised, if you cut a chicane you can't make up a few seconds in doing so, last lap or not. He also made no attempt to even make the second half of it.

They both should have been penalized.

K-Mag shoved his team mate off the track and Palmer took the gherkin quite frankly. Made absolutely no effort to get back on the track.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:22 pm 

Magnusseb was alongside, and than took a hit from Palmer who steered as Magnussen is not there. Strange that Magnussen got the penalty.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:30 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Magnusseb was alongside, and than took a hit from Palmer who steered as Magnussen is not there. Strange that Magnussen got the penalty.

He got it because he took full blame for the incident in front of the stewards

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:22 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

Magnussen didn't make the corner either. He came in well too hot.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:38 pm 

According to the stewards, Mag was never going to make the corner at the entry speed, even if hi steam mate was not there.

Now I know I read it, but can not remember where, Any assistance with a link please?

Edit

http://www.planetf1.com/news/magnussen-penalised-for-palmer-clash/

Last edited by moby on Wed May 18, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:41 pm 

moby wrote:
According to the stewards, Mag was never going to make the corner at the entry speed, even if hi steam mate was not there.

Now I know I read it, but can not remember where, Any assistance with a link please?

The link at the top of the page

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:54 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
moby wrote:

The link at the top of the page

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:41 pm 

lamo wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

OK, but taking blame today is not necessarily what a driver really thinks, he might have followed the instructions from the team. I have watched it several times, and came to conclusion that he missed the corner only because his front wheel were straightened at the touch/impact of the Palmer's car. I might be wrong but I can not shrug of that impression.

But hey, is this an example that the stewards applied the punishment for the crash between the team mates?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:55 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
lamo wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

OK, but taking blame today is not necessarily what a driver really thinks, he might have followed the instructions from the team. I have watched it several times, and came to conclusion that he missed the corner only because his front wheel were straightened at the touch/impact of the Palmer's car. I might be wrong but I can not shrug of that impression.

But hey, is this an example that the stewards applied the punishment for the crash between the team mates?

I don't think it is a fair example, it was only investigated because it was the start of a sequence of events that lead Palmer to cheat the final sector and gain nearly 2 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpX9--bC7E8

Look at what Palmer does, it is crazy really. He stole so much time and got such a good run into the last corner he was in a position to overtake the car that was miles in front of him just seconds before.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:38 pm 

In this situation I feel both should have had some kind of penalty, but I can understand why Palmer took to the slip road instead of weaving around the humps. Its simply quicker, and leaves less of a risk of damaging the car. However was Mag's penalty too harsh?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:39 pm 

lamo wrote:

Yeah but they were 3 corners from the end and Palmer gained absolutely nothing from it, other than being a second or two closer to Ericsson, which is meaningless in terms of the race result.

How was Palmer ever going to make that corner? Mag came steaming in and ran him clean off the road. The stewards with all their telemetry could obviously tell from the speed data that KMag was never going to make that corner, Palmer or no Palmer. All Palmer did was take avoiding action and basically end up where he was before his teammate made a wild lunge at him.

Fair play to Kev for giving it a go but that one was a bit optimistic.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:15 am 

Banana Man wrote:
lamo wrote:

Yeah but they were 3 corners from the end and Palmer gained absolutely nothing from it, other than being a second or two closer to Ericsson, which is meaningless in terms of the race result.

How was Palmer ever going to make that corner? Mag came steaming in and ran him clean off the road. The stewards with all their telemetry could obviously tell from the speed data that KMag was never going to make that corner, Palmer or no Palmer. All Palmer did was take avoiding action and basically end up where he was before his teammate made a wild lunge at him.

Fair play to Kev for giving it a go but that one was a bit optimistic.

Definitely optimistic, and he did take Palmer off track.

But in my mind, this penalty was a joke, since it was the same type of move that Ricciardo pulled on Vettel. Hardly feel Maggy deserved a 10 second penalty for this (5 secs perhaps), and certainly not points on his license, especially since Ricciardo got nothing.

NH#1: Quick Nick Heidfeld
NH#2: HULK SMASH

PF1 Pick 10 Podiums: 6 (2nd IND '11; 1st JPN '12; 1st MCO '13; 3rd DEU '16; 3rd USA '16, 3rd MEX '16)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:26 pm 

I'd agree that K-Mag was at fault and that Palmer didn't really gain anything tangible by skipping the subsequent chicane. The penalty handed out does seem quite harsh though.