planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:23 pm 

Anyone else get goose bumps when Seb said that?

I'm warming quickly to Seb in red. I was never a fan of his at Red Bull, but something feels special about this new partnership. I love that Seb seems to be absorbing himself in the mystique and pomp. Maybe its just nostalgia for Michael at Ferrari, and Ferrari and Seb will be another big let down, but my support for them has been refreshed.

It's starting to feel like the old days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vALQmx_fss8

Last edited by Beschy on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:28 pm 

The entire Ferrari team seem intimately more likeable than they did in 2015. Vettel and Arrivabene have brought a lot of humanity back into the team. It feels like the Schumi days again, even if just an echo of them but who know what it may grow into.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:49 pm 

Yes, I grew tired of the Red Bull version of Vettel but this might work!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:50 pm 

Beschy wrote:

I'm warming quickly to Seb in red. I was never a fan of his at Red Bull, but something feels special about this new partnership. I love that Seb seems to be absorbing himself in the mystique and pomp. Maybe its just nostalgia for Michael at Ferrari, and Ferrari and Seb will be another big let down, but my support for them has been refreshed.

As a Ferrari fan: No, not really. I have always disliked his almost-scripted Hollywood lines on the radio after the race.

Seeing a Ferrari on the podium was pretty nice, though :nod: Hopefully many podiums and wins await Seb in the red color.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:53 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
The entire Ferrari team seem intimately more likeable than they did in 2015. Vettel and Arrivabene have brought a lot of humanity back into the team. It feels like the Schumi days again, even if just an echo of them but who know what it may grow into.

It was also great with Alonso the first years, but Alonso was getting subpar car after subpar car until he grew tired of it and that supposedly ended up affecting the relationship between Alonso and the team, and whole atmosphere a bit.
Let's see how Ferrari / Vettel do if they keep on failing to win races like in the Alonso years.
Keep in mind that times have changed and Vettel in Ferrari wont be Schumacher 2.0, because then Ferrari used to test non stop in their own track, because it was allowed. Not the case anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:07 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Omg! I lost a year! 8O

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:31 pm 

Speaking in Italian on the podium, in Australia, was unnecessary. He is overdoing it. Borderline cringeworthy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:33 pm 

No goosebumps, just shuddered at the thought of the radio chatter we'd endure if he starts winning races in a Ferrari.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:46 pm 

"Red Bull version of Vettel"

Really? There is not Vettel's version of Vettel? So if he wins a race at Ferrari, he's not going to stick up his "Number 1" index finger? Well, if that's the case..."Ragazzi, Forza Ferrari"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:53 pm 

The new partnership is refreshing. He looks rejuvenated and Ferrari look like they're enjoying themselves

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:58 pm 

vikram wrote:
Speaking in Italian on the podium, in Australia, was unnecessary. He is overdoing it. Borderline cringeworthy.

I disagree entirely. Why is it wrong for a man who's life dream has been to drive for Scuderia Ferrari, a man who is living his dream now, earning the first podium for Ferrari since 2013.. why is it "cringeworthy" for him to show respect to his team (most of whom are Italian) by speaking their language. I don't find it overdoing it at all, instead, just the opposite, I think it was brilliant on his part and suspect that his actions will endear him to the team and it's followers much more quickly than a new driver normally would (unless they WON the first race... then that would trump language!).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:02 pm 

Blake wrote:
vikram wrote:

I disagree entirely. Why is it wrong for a man who's life dream has been to drive for Scuderia Ferrari, a man who is living his dream now, earning the first podium for Ferrari since 2013.. why is it "cringeworthy" for him to show respect to his team (most of whom are Italian) by speaking their language. I don't find it overdoing it at all, instead, just the opposite, I think it was brilliant on his part and suspect that his actions will endear him to the team and it's followers much more quickly than a new driver normally would (unless they WON the first race... then that would trump language!).

Alonso was on the podium twice last year. China and Hungary.

I'd forgotten about China actually, just looked it up to make sure I wasn't going mad!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:06 pm 

vikram wrote:

To be honest, there was no one better than Hakkinen in that regard. He spoke only when necessary.

Maybe Vettel can learn this style a little from his teammate Kimi this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:13 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Blake wrote:
vikram wrote:

Alonso was on the podium twice last year. China and Hungary.

I'd forgotten about China actually, just looked it up to make sure I wasn't going mad!

Quite normal why those two podiums are well forgotten.

This shows Ferrari's 2014 season was one to forget.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:16 pm 

Need4Naiim wrote:

Amen to that! Thanks for bailing me out, Need4! I really had forgotten... a whole year to forget!
;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:41 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

It was also great with Alonso the first years, but Alonso was getting subpar car after subpar car until he grew tired of it and that supposedly ended up affecting the relationship between Alonso and the team, and whole atmosphere a bit.
Let's see how Ferrari / Vettel do if they keep on failing to win races like in the Alonso years.
Keep in mind that times have changed and Vettel in Ferrari wont be Schumacher 2.0, because then Ferrari used to test non stop in their own track, because it was allowed. Not the case anymore.

There was always something lacking with Alonso at Ferrari. He never quite gelled with the Tifosi in the same way Schumacher did and although he had that one great season in 2012 he never looked close to being taken into Ferrari hearts.

There is something different about Vettel. He clearly loves Ferrari in a way Alonso never did, 2006 had Alonso declaring he'd never drive the red cars and all throughout 2007 he seemed to nitpick at them verbally. He moved to Ferrari for money and money only and perhaps a bit of he'd turned down Red Bull and had broken yet to be unbuilt bridges at McLaren at the time (Brawn couldn't afford him in 2009). Vettel moved because he wanted a new challenge and always wanted that new challenge to be Ferrari just like his hero.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:42 pm 

Blake wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:

Amen to that! Thanks for bailing me out, Need4! I really had forgotten... a whole year to forget!
;)

Don't worry about it Blake Alonso managed to forget the last 20 years!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:44 pm 

Beschy wrote:

I just watched a documentary on John Surtees on the BBC. Pomp? Perhaps. Mystique? Any comments, Fernando? :lol:

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:46 pm 

Blake wrote:
vikram wrote:

+1 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:22 pm 

Maybe it's because he's not doing his post-race radio comments, and the fact that the finger is gone, but I'm warming to Vettel. The press conference proved the old Vettel is still in there though. I'd still rather Kimi beat him though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:07 am 

Blake wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:

;)

I don't think I'll ever forget Hungary. Best race of 2014 for me, and how Alonso held Hamilton off, engine issue or not, I still don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 am 

Laura23 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

There was always something lacking with Alonso at Ferrari. He never quite gelled with the Tifosi in the same way Schumacher did and although he had that one great season in 2012 he never looked close to being taken into Ferrari hearts.

There is something different about Vettel. He clearly loves Ferrari in a way Alonso never did, 2006 had Alonso declaring he'd never drive the red cars and all throughout 2007 he seemed to nitpick at them verbally. He moved to Ferrari for money and money only and perhaps a bit of he'd turned down Red Bull and had broken yet to be unbuilt bridges at McLaren at the time (Brawn couldn't afford him in 2009). Vettel moved because he wanted a new challenge and always wanted that new challenge to be Ferrari just like his hero.

That's absolutely not true. Alonso was (dare I say IS) loved to bits by the Tifosi. I don't know where you got that idea but it's completely untrue. There was always love and huge amount of gratitude (because of the poor cars he was driving yet achieving good results) towards him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:13 am 

I think Vettel's finger has probably gone the way of Alonso's bullfighter routine. Both part of the exuberance of achieving great success early in their carrer at a young age.

Speaking in Italian caught me off guard, but it was a pleasant surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:24 am 

VDV23 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

That's absolutely not true. Alonso was (dare I say IS) loved to bits by the Tifosi. I don't know where you got that idea but it's completely untrue. There was always love and huge amount of gratitude (because of the poor cars he was driving yet achieving good results) towards him.

I never saw the Tifosi take Alonso to their hearts if I'm honest. Did they like him? Yes. Did they love him? I'm not so sure tbh, especially now he's seen as having stabbed them in the back by going back to McLaren.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:31 am 

He said "Bellissimo" to an English lady interviewing him, so still got allot of Italian to learn, but he will get there. Not an easy language to learn for a German, but he will do it, just takes time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:31 am 

First I would like to state that Alonso is a true great. And I do really hope McLaren can (eventually) provide him with the equipment to win more.
But I have often defended Vettel on this forum and took the opportunity to take a little dig at Alonso. So truthfully my gut feeling tells me the Vettel/Ferrari relationship will be better than the Alonso one.
Before all that happens though my heart yearns for Kimi to bow out in a little blaze of glory.
There is always hope.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:51 am 

Laura23 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I disagree. You can't compare Schumacher to Alonso in that regard of course, because MS won 5 titles and was treated as a god by the tiffosi... but Vettel? Lets wait and see what he can do. For the moment its no different than with Alonso, all good and enthusiastic in the beginning, but who knows what will happen in the future. Just because Vettel is german and he wants to emulate his childhood hero and fellow german doesnt mean he's going to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 am 

Laura23 wrote:

Agreed, I was strangely happy to see Arrivabene give a good interview to Brundle on the grid, miles ahead of what Mattiachi did, always running away from interviews like he was being chased by a pack of angry wolves and giving 1 word answers. And I don't give a flying toss about Ferrari!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:36 am 

VDV23 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Exactly - look at the reaction he got on the podium in Monza 2012. Alonso was loved by the tifosi.

And i don't think Alonso moved to Ferrari purely for the money - he wanted to fight for championships again, and he thought Ferrari would be able to provide the machinery for that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:41 am 

As for Vettel - he's still in the honeymoon period. Let's see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am 

davidheath461 wrote:
And i don't think Alonso moved to Ferrari purely for the money - he wanted to fight for championships again, and he thought Ferrari would be able to provide the machinery for that.

Alonso knew Newey would have designed future Redbulls before signing with Ferrari. Alonso didn't want to drive so called "Neweymobiles" for some reason i suppose. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 am 

Need4Naiim wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:

Alonso knew Newey would have designed future Redbulls before signing with Ferrari. Alonso didn't want to drive so called "Neweymobiles" for some reason i suppose. ;-)

True. I guess because Ferrari had been the most successful team from 1998-2008, but of course that did not carry over into the new regulations.

Even looking at the BBC season preview for 2010, they were all expecting a return of Ferrari vs Mclaren and Hamilton vs Alonso. Coulthard was the only one to predict Red Bull winning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:50 am 

Need4Naiim wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:

Let's not forget that Newey had several ups and downs at McLaren before having the very successful era at Red Bull. Not so many people expected him to do so well and become so much important really.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:53 am 

nixxxon wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:

Let's not forget that Newey had several ups and downs at McLaren before having the very successful era at Red Bull. Not so many people expected him to do so well and become so much important really.

This. :thumbup:

Ingredients for a team are vital for a winning team. Who would have thought little Vettel will win 4 Championships against Alonso, Ferrari, McLaren?

Last edited by Need4Naiim on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:54 am 

davidheath461 wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:

True. I guess because Ferrari had been the most successful team from 1998-2008, but of course that did not carry over into the new regulations.

Given that, statistically they were bound to have a bad period that would last for quite a few years...
I do agree with you though in that Alonso didn't move purely for the money, but for the championships. It was also the most logical team to go to, what with his relation with McLaren being so bad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:03 am 

Clearly some of you are not living in Italy and don't read the media.

Vettel has humility and LOVE for Ferrari, things that were lacking in Alonso and for him it's the team before anything else(something engrained in many Germans).

I know plenty of people who were tifosi but stopped their support once Alonso arrived there.

With Vettel it's different and there was even an article that was saying that there is a different atmosphere in the garage now that Vettel is there.

Last edited by Pullrod on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:07 am 

mds wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:
Need4Naiim wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:

Given that, statistically they were bound to have a bad period that would last for quite a few years...
I do agree with you though in that Alonso didn't move purely for the money, but for the championships. It was also the most logical team to go to, what with his relation with McLaren being so bad.

And the designer at Ferrari - Aldo Costa - didn't exactly have a bad pedigree, either. His cars at the moment are every bit as good as any Neweymobile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:10 am 

Pullrod wrote:
Vettel has humility and LOVE , things that were lacking in Alonso

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Total BS... you can simply say that you're a Vettel fan and not a fan of Alonso, that would make more sense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:13 am 

nixxxon wrote:
Pullrod wrote:

Total BS... you can simply say that you're a Vettel fan and not a fan of Alonso, that would make more sense.

I meant Love for Ferrari.
You want to tell me Alonso was dreaming to drive for Ferrari in 2006 right?

Vettel since his first season has always had Ferrari in his mind and heart being a big Schumacher fan.
And I am not even a Vettel fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:20 am 

nixxxon wrote:
Pullrod wrote:

Given what happened in Malaysia 2013 and China 2014, i don't think you can say Vettel has a great degree of humility. He tried to put himself above the team on both those weekends.

Let's be honest, no F1 driver is known for humility. They are looking out for themselves.