planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:24 am 

Image From russellhayes.com

These next 2 weekends will mark 5 years since "Black October" in motorsports following the loss of Dan Wheldon in Las Vegas and Marco Simoncelli at Sepang.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:56 pm 

I still remember watching the IndyCar race live. The sight of seeing not one, but THREE cars take flight at 200 mph, and the circuit looking like a war zone with smoke and fires all over the backstretch, is not one I will ever forget.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:30 pm 

Likewise, I remember turning on the Malaysian MotoGP race expecting to see and hear bikes racing around, but there was silence and solemn words from the commentators. It was obvious something bad had happened but not who, how or to what extent.

The replays explained it all and were hard to watch.

RIP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:28 am 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
I still remember watching the IndyCar race live. The sight of seeing not one, but THREE cars take flight at 200 mph, and the circuit looking like a war zone with smoke and fires all over the backstretch, is not one I will ever forget.

Your right, that is exactly what it looked like, a war zone, I've seen a fair few big crashes but never anything like that and it's not something I ever want to see again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am 

oz_karter wrote:
Likewise, I remember turning on the Malaysian MotoGP race expecting to see and hear bikes racing around, but there was silence and solemn words from the commentators. It was obvious something bad had happened but not who, how or to what extent.

The replays explained it all and were hard to watch.

RIP

I seem to remember that there was something on the same morning (Japanese F1 maybe?, I can't remember) So I decided to watch it on BBC iPlayer, I went to the BBC home page and was just about to click on iPlayer when I saw that the race had been red flagged (I don't think he'd been pronounced dead at that point) so I decided that I did not want to watch it and have not done ever since.