planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:49 am 

An exciting weekend is in prospect.

Hamilton can't afford another DNF as of now. Rosberg had won the Mexican Grand Prix last year as well so he'll have all the more confidence, if a 26 point lead is not enough.

Most of the drivers loved the track & atmosphere. This year the grip level will be better as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:12 am 

Rosberg could win the WDC this weekend. If he does, I'd suggest he concocts some sort of mechanical problems for the last two races, just to make sure people think he deserves it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:41 am 

It is not realistic that Rosberg will win the crown just now, it would take some disaster to Hamilton, but this would be the best place of them all, just imagine the stadium eruption in case of him winning the crown.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:57 am 

i think i recall Totto has said a couple of times that driver's champ will go down to the wire..to the last race.
(maybe he knows something we do not... :D )

...if this is to be true then i would expect Nico's DNF in Mexico...then all of a sudden Totto will be right..!

food for thought..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:44 pm 

This is the link to where the FIA publish stewards reports etc:

http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-o ... rmation-19

Looking forward to this - hoping for a better race this year when there is something to race for between the Merc drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:14 pm 

I remember this being a good weekend last year. Doesn't the altitude mean that cars are effectively running Monza levels of downforce despite using what would normally be a medium-high downforce package?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:31 pm 

MEGAS wrote:
i think i recall Totto has said a couple of times that driver's champ will go down to the wire..to the last race.

...if this is to be true then i would expect Nico's DNF in Mexico...then all of a sudden Totto will be right..!

food for thought..

I really hope that teams/structure/leadership/management of F1 and teams don't have such power to dictate the events, nor even the knowledge of the outcome.
But, in 2008, Bernie said that he would love to have the championship to be decided in the last corner of the last race, and lo and behold, it happen exactly that way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:45 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
I remember this being a good weekend last year. Doesn't the altitude mean that cars are effectively running Monza levels of downforce despite using what would normally be a medium-high downforce package?

The air is so thin teams like Mercedes are getting Monza levels of downforce from Monaco style rear wing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:48 pm 

Clarky wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

The air is so thin teams like Mercedes are getting Monza levels of downforce from Monaco style rear wing.

Awesome :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:16 pm 

MEGAS wrote:

food for thought..

Yeah I don't see the "food for thought" here. If it is to be true Nico doesn't have to DNF, he can finish right behind Hamilton and it remains true. Heck he could even win Mexico with Hamilton second and it STILL could go to the wire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:57 am 

Deadly duo:
Source - skysports/F1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:26 pm 

Sorry for complaining again, but the coverage of practice on Sky with Di Resta and Crofty is just awful. Either way off topic for ages speaking nonsense or awkward silence. Spending very little time talking about waht is on the screen. I may as well listen to commentators from somewhere else and just have the sky coverage on mute. It is only Crofty that talks the rubbish and I appreciate that Di Resta doesn't join in. But Kravitz does and he makes it even worse. They take ages to make a point about something. Its not this its not that its this. I wish they could just get on and explain what they are ona bout instead of trying to sound funny. I have been flicking between Channel 4 and Sky and Channel 4 is so much better during the practice sessions. They speak about what is happening as sound far more passionate about the subject too. What a shame that Sky will exclusively have everything live from 2019. Channel 4 coverage is better in most areas IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:37 pm 

Interesting fact there from C4 commentator - 34 years between first father/son champions and currently 34 years since Keke won the WDC.

It's cheating a little bit because they're counting the gap between Hill's first WDC and his son's not the gap since he last won one to when his son did. (only 28 years).

I also know it means nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:50 pm 

A bit soon to predict this really but I feel that Williams will quite easily be able to beat Force India this weekend. If they are this high in FP1, then that sort of shows they will be strong in qualifying and the race as Williams often don't show as much as they've got in FP1 and FP2. I actually think they could be challenging Red Bull and Ferrari in Qualifying. Their speed will help them massively here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:19 pm 

I agree with Button complaining about the Marshals. That must make the drivers feel really uneasy. One of the marshals just keeps leaning outwards with nothing between them and the track.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:03 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I agree with Button complaining about the Marshals. That must make the drivers feel really uneasy. One of the marshals just keeps leaning outwards with nothing between them and the track.

Just confirmed that the marshal has received a penalty and will have to start his walk to his position on the track from the back of the grid on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:24 pm 

Well Hamilton made a mess of that race simulation. :uhoh:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:37 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sorry for complaining again, but the coverage of practice on Sky with Di Resta and Crofty is just awful. Either way off topic for ages speaking nonsense or awkward silence. Spending very little time talking about waht is on the screen. I may as well listen to commentators from somewhere else and just have the sky coverage on mute. It is only Crofty that talks the rubbish and I appreciate that Di Resta doesn't join in. But Kravitz does and he makes it even worse. They take ages to make a point about something. Its not this its not that its this. I wish they could just get on and explain what they are ona bout instead of trying to sound funny. I have been flicking between Channel 4 and Sky and Channel 4 is so much better during the practice sessions. They speak about what is happening as sound far more passionate about the subject too. What a shame that Sky will exclusively have everything live from 2019. Channel 4 coverage is better in most areas IMO.

Some of the stuff Crofty says is ridiculous like seriously talking about water hazards at the side of the track in order to police track limits, it's also interesting to see people asking for the pit lane to be closed during a VSC to take away the lottery nature of it but then they come back with alternatives that don't redress the problem at all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:41 pm 

That stadium section is a shocker. Give us back Peraltalda.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:43 pm 

It must be difficult to keep talking all through practise. It's not like the race where there's is always something happening and when there isn't they can talk about strategies.

That lap from vettel looks good

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:57 pm 

Ferrari looks more comfortable here. That long straight is killer for the weaker engines.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:02 pm 

just thinking that myself , doesn't crofty talk nonsense, I mean paul keeps trying to talk techy and is quite good , but has crofty been drinking ? because he just talks about unrelated rubbish and makes me want to turn the sound off

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:03 pm 

Andy2402 wrote:
It must be difficult to keep talking all through practise. It's not like the race where there's is always something happening and when there isn't they can talk about strategies.

That lap from vettel looks good

Yeah I took a bit of notice with the complaints coming in and basically it's Crofty that has to keep moving things along often having to prompt di Resta, I think Ant is better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:05 pm 

slide wrote:
just thinking that myself , doesn't crofty talk nonsense, I mean paul keeps trying to talk techy and is quite good , but has crofty been drinking ? because he just talks about unrelated rubbish and makes me want to turn the sound off

I've just mentioned this, I think Crofty is having to work overtime with di Resta alongside him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:29 pm 

pokerman wrote:
slide wrote:

I've just mentioned this, I think Crofty is having to work overtime with di Resta alongside him.

I think Di Resta is being a bit let down by Crofty TBH. I've always really liked Crofty but I get the sense that this season he is getting a bit comfortable in the role and projecting his opinion a bit too much. He isn't there to do that. Of course it doesn't help that I seem to disagree with all his opinions :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:33 pm 

I take it back sat watching for 15 minutes not once did they try talk about people's long run pace relative to one another. Simply relying on the screen pop ups

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:45 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
slide wrote:

I think Di Resta is being a bit let down by Crofty TBH. I've always really liked Crofty but I get the sense that this season he is getting a bit comfortable in the role and projecting his opinion a bit too much. He isn't there to do that. Of course it doesn't help that I seem to disagree with all his opinions :lol:

I actually quite like Sky's practice coverage, it's a bit more relaxed and geared towards the more hardcore fans. To be fair to the commentary team, there is often not a lot happening on track and they need to fill the gaps with paddock gossip, speculation or just whatever comes to mind. I think it's this environment where Crofty actually does a good job (although he's even better with Ant Davidson alongside), I find him a little more irritating on race day. But having had to put up with Jonathan Legard's inane babbling a few years ago I'm not going to complain too much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:45 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
That stadium section is a shocker. Give us back Peraltalda.
:thumbup:

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:57 pm 

All the practice starts they do, how many starts can these clutches manage? Used to be that two was one too many.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:37 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
slide wrote:

Yes he annoys me in that way as well. :)

I just feel if it was left to di Resta we would be left with a lot of silence, you can almost hear Crofty's cogs whirring away as he tries to keep things interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:02 am 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
slide wrote:

I just feel if it was left to di Resta we would be left with a lot of silence, you can almost hear Crofty's cogs whirring away as he tries to keep things interesting.

I get the feeling Di Resta holds back a lot when answering questions too. Like either he is just not keen to commit, or he feels like he still needs to self censor so as not to give too much away. It's not a great characteristic for a co-commentator and, like you say, must make things tricky for Croft.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:15 am 

Some of us would have to fork out A$600 plus to be able to watch all races and practice - so effectively no free to air practice or qualifying except Australian GP, fewer than half the races free to air and the remainder a one hour (with adds) so 40 mins highlights package late the following day. Don't know what you guys are complaining about

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:22 am 

Image From motorsport.com

Horner: Happy Birthday boss.

Bernie: See this? This is the boss. And I want goat for dinner if the Cubs win.

Image From thestar.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:28 am 

Max: Toto!!! How does Tequila taste like?

Toto: Ask Bernie!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:49 am 

wolfticket wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
slide wrote:

I get the feeling Di Resta holds back a lot when answering questions too. Like either he is just not keen to commit, or he feels like he still needs to self censor so as not to give too much away. It's not a great characteristic for a co-commentator and, like you say, must make things tricky for Croft.

Yes I noticed that as well like he's scared of being controversial.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:37 am 

Quite like the design of Sergio Perez's helmet:
Source: Formula1/Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:05 am 

I hope Bernie let them play at the drivers' podium. They let Brazil play Samba.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:10 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Quite like the design of Sergio Perez's helmet:

I like it, too - better executed than Guteirrez's, in my opinion.

... a bit like their respective driving! :twisted: :lol:

(sorry to any GUT fans, couldn't resist!)

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:36 am 

Ferrari looking better here and it is was lower temp, slippery conditions yesterday :?

F1Oz wrote:
Some of us would have to fork out A$600 plus to be able to watch all races and practice - so effectively no free to air practice or qualifying except Australian GP, fewer than half the races free to air and the remainder a one hour (with adds) so 40 mins highlights package late the following day. Don't know what you guys are complaining about

Sports channel cost 600$ per year :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:06 am 

pokerman wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
slide wrote:

Yes I noticed that as well like he's scared of being controversial.

Yeah I totally think it's Di Resta holding back and not saying too much, especially when Crofty talks about the chances of Di Resta coming back into F1 (which I guess is understandable that he holds back on those questions)

I work in live TV with presenters and another thing I have noticed which might explain the silence is when Ted is on the pit wall and asks a fairly long question to Di Resta, Di Resta just sits there waiting for him to finish, rather than interjecting and answering the question. What this does to Ted is make him feel like he's not getting the question or not hearing it all so he keeps extrapolating the question until Di Resta answers. So sometimes Ted eventually stops and Di Resta sits there thinking more might come, and then gives him a short answer. As a producer I would get Ted to fire a shorter answer to Di Resta so that he gets the question and answers it quickly. That's the easy solution. For me the best solution would be to teach Di Resta to banter a bit more and come in on Ted. The back and forth would feel more alive on TV.

At the end of the day let's not forget that Di Resta is an athlete and not a commentator. It's actually an incredibly hard thing these guys do.