planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:50 am 

Auto Bild Motorsport has just reported that Ross Brawn just signed a contract with Liberty Media (the new owners if F1) to become the new chief of Formula One.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1-news-brawn-neuer-f1-boss-10970997.html

Of course, this is just a rumor, but it just may be closer to the truth than previous rumors. Bernie is supposed to be lingering around another three years, so it must be assumed that this covers a transition of power. But don't count Bernie out of the game yet, the old sly fox has more tricks that a convention of magicians at a house of prostitution.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:41 am 

If so, this is excellent news, whilst at the same time being a bit of a Debbie Downer moment.

Brawn is a BRILLIANT mind and knows what the sport needs in the way of quality improvements to propel the sport forward and he genuinely cares about F1 because he's passionate about F1, period. The Debbie Downer is that if this comes to pass, it means Brawn will not be leading a Team in competition.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:32 am 

Between him leading a team in the existing mess and having a say in changing the sport itself; I'd miss him on the pitwall but he'd probably do better for F1 overall behind the scenes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:08 am 

English version - Brawn signs contract to replace Ecclestone

http://www.thisisf1.com/2016/11/01/braw ... cclestone/

Great move

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:31 am 

Fantastic news. Brawn is a F1 fan first and foremost and will do the sport good.

I guess we can now be safe in the knowledge that the traditional circuits will be protected and not threatened every five minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:39 am 

We all thought Todt would be a very good head of the FIA, hopefully Brawn will better live up to the expectations as Bernie's replacement.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:54 am 

Covalent wrote:
We all thought Todt would be a very good head of the FIA, hopefully Brawn will better live up to the expectations as Bernie's replacement.

Took the words right out of my mouth with the Todt comment. I still have hope for this appointment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:59 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth with the Todt comment. I still have hope for this appointment.

2nd that. Todt is living proof that a good team boss doesn't automatically make a good manager of the sport. Todt's been an absolute disaster IMO. And both are ex Ferrari alumni. I hope Brawn is good but I'll reserve judgement

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:18 am 

I think people often forget Ecclestone is passionate and a fan of the sport.

The problems come when you have to navigate the varying politics of shareholders, boards, team principles, boards, engine manufacturers, sponsors...

If this does come to pass, it will be interesting to see how quickly fans forget that Brawn is passionate and a fan of the sport.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:11 am 

I don't know how to take this news. Brawn is one of the F1 greats. But he would have been one of the last people I had chalked down as a successor to Bernie

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:24 pm 

Turns out Brawn will be in a technical, not commercial, role. Now I'm much more positive about it

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/11/ ... cclestone/

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:07 pm 

It will be interesting to see how things pan out between Brawn with the commercial side of the business.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:35 pm 

i did wonder if brawn would come back , but was pretty sure if he did it wouldn't involve him running a team , indeed brilliant news- it would be a waste if he didn't , and I believe F1 will only improve with his mind involved -1 year together to smooth it all out and then a great future for this sport

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:07 am 

I love Brawn and the only thing I am afraid is that I will start hating him after a while. Let's be real, with shareholders breathing down on his neck what he's gonna do, be more lenient with circuits? Charge them less money? Ain't gonna happen, the new owners are in the game for making money, they paid billions of dollars for the rights and they would at least expect to make as much money as the previous owners did.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:27 am 

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/11/ ... cclestone/

Interesting, seems that Brawn won't replace Ecclestone after all, rather he will work alongside him?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:46 pm 

Hmm, I'll hold a small basket. We thought the same when Todt went to the FIA, someone with experience that loves the sport and will change the sport for the best. Yeah, right...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:47 pm 

guardiangr wrote:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/11/ross-brawn-to-become-sporting-boss-of-f1-not-replacing-bernie-ecclestone/

Interesting, seems that Brawn won't replace Ecclestone after all, rather he will work alongside him?

While that might give conflicts I'm positive that by 2020 F1 will have a new commercial leader. If both are passionate about F1 they will find a way to cooperate. I believe F1's new owner wanted Bernie to stay on in his role for 3 more years. By that time he will be 89.
Anyway still excited to see Brawn in this role.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:55 pm 

Hour long interview with Ross Brawn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b080xzq2

Probably UK residents only

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:03 am 

He'll only be as effective as the autonomy and authority he's allowed.

I think he's too smart a bloke to allow himself to take a role like this unless he's fully aware of the conditions in which he's allowed to operate so I have hope that he can take F1 in the right direction and we can finally get sensible regulations in place that allow for fairer competition.